Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
posting from the subway .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They have forums on the subway now?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
hell they even have forums on the “streetcar” (tram)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

a streetcar named goonsire

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Doc Hawkins posted:

:hmmyes:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Doc Hawkins posted:

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Ham Equity posted:

Anytime anyone tries to get lovely with you in front of their young children, just tell the kids that their parents are lying to them about Santa Claus, they're the ones who buy and wrap the gifts, then use Santa Claus to blackmail them into being good.

There is no virtue in a proportional response.

Still loling at this

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
was using a crosswalk today and someone was waiting to turn right on red ahead of me, I had a feeling they might not be looking for people so I stopped before crossing in front of them right as they peeled around the corner and were super surprised to see me standing two feet from their window as they looked left at the last second.

too tired to even get angry anymore.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's a proposal to ban rights on red in Atlanta. I hope it passes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

was using a crosswalk today and someone was waiting to turn right on red ahead of me, I had a feeling they might not be looking for people so I stopped before crossing in front of them right as they peeled around the corner and were super surprised to see me standing two feet from their window as they looked left at the last second.

too tired to even get angry anymore.

this exact thing happened to me thursday but I just maintained a death stare at where the driver's eyes would be when they finally swiveled their head to turn right. they lurched forward a couple feet but I cowed them with my gaze

it was a lil car and if it was an f150 I'd just have gone around since I can't make eye contact with someone ten feet up

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Good luck and I hope you get your way but I’ve been to Atlanta a few times and it’s the most car brained city in this country as far as I can tell, even more car brained than LA which honestly doesn’t seem possible, so I’m not holding my breath

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Honestly in this society you might as well keep them legal, because drivers will constantly ignore them and police will never do anything about it, and it might give pedestrians the false impression that it's safe to cross the street.

There's a no turn on red intersection near me that I get honked at basically every time I stop for the crime of following the traffic laws.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Good luck and I hope you get your way but I’ve been to Atlanta a few times and it’s the most car brained city in this country as far as I can tell, even more car brained than LA which honestly doesn’t seem possible, so I’m not holding my breath

it does have a train so it can't be that carbrained

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Atlanta's car problems arguably come mostly from the sprawling metro area. The city itself is at least making some progress. There's a new ebike rebate program. They banned drive-throughs and gas stations near the beltline. Denser housing is being built. gently caress the metro.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is solvable if you put a right turn arrow on every light when the right of way is clear, but

Rochallor posted:

Honestly in this society you might as well keep them legal, because drivers will constantly ignore them and police will never do anything about it, and it might give pedestrians the false impression that it's safe to cross the street.

This will happen instead.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rochallor posted:

There's a no turn on red intersection near me that I get honked at basically every time I stop for the crime of following the traffic laws.

This is very much my experience in Portland, which ostensibly is one of the less car brained cities in the beautiful USA

I won’t cross at an intersection even with a signal unless I can make eye contact with the car that’s stopped in the middle of the crosswalk. I end up waiting a lot

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Atlanta's car problems arguably come mostly from the sprawling metro area. The city itself is at least making some progress. There's a new ebike rebate program. They banned drive-throughs and gas stations near the beltline. Denser housing is being built. gently caress the metro.

Yeah Atlanta proper seems to be trying but god the eternal sprawl and freeways carrying millions of people in from the suburbs to drive in circles it seems like a guy with a slashed femoral artery bleeding out and being very concerned about his blood pressure

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Doc Hawkins posted:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seattle is slowly adding "no turn on red" signage to major intersections around town but it's slow going.

I've noticed that some folks (seemingly rideshare drivers???) just don't make right on red and will sit there until a green. can't explain it but I'll take it.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

right on reds are horrible, because there is always a huge pickup truck in the left lane, so you can't see left cross-traffic, and then the people behind you start honking because you have the gall to be patient for the green and refuse to drive into the crosswalk to be able to see.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

spiritual bypass posted:

it does have a train so it can't be that carbrained

hahahahaha no

The worst places I've driven are Atlanta and LA and I don't think anywhere else in the US compares.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

hahahahaha no

The worst places I've driven are Atlanta and LA and I don't think anywhere else in the US compares.

Texan cities give both of those a run for their money. Atlanta is probably the worst of all though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rauros posted:

right on reds are horrible, because there is always a huge pickup truck in the left lane, so you can't see left cross-traffic, and then the people behind you start honking because you have the gall to be patient for the green and refuse to drive into the crosswalk to be able to see.

and if you DO edge forward to try and see past the pickup truck the truck just pulls forward too because a core tenet of carbrain is that No One Else May Proceed If I, Protagonist Of Reality, May Not Proceed

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The crosswalk by my house had another serious accident. There's a slight curve in the road and people who are staring at their phones will blow through the crosswalk, hop the curb, and either smash into a tree or utility pole. There had been a bike share station but that got obliterated twice before they permanently removed it. It can't be overstated how oblivious you have to be to get in an accident here, on a 30mph road with the slightest of curves next to a crosswalk with two flashing yellow signs

I cross this crosswalk every day when I go on a run so now I get to go yell at city council until they put in speed bumps, but in the meantime I've progressed from being angry at this happening to hoping the driver had the courtesy to die in the accident

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

one of my favorite sights of the road is a car with no rear bumper and big dents on both sides

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Texan cities give both of those a run for their money. Atlanta is probably the worst of all though.

Texas is the only place I've ever had a gun waved at me for not driving fast enough

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ive never had a gun waved at me for not driving fast enough in texas, where i live

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god's country

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Texas is the only place I've ever had a gun waved at me for not driving fast enough

yeah the carbrain capital is a two way tie between Dallas and Atlanta

Los Angeles' infrastructure is carbrained but the rot somehow does not go as deep. regardless of the historical roots of the entire city's existence.

lobster shirt posted:

ive never had a gun waved at me for not driving fast enough in texas, where i live

there's so much more to that place to discover, cmon! why aren't you out being threatened with death for transportation choices, CITIZEN?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah the carbrain capital is a two way tie between Dallas and Atlanta

Los Angeles' infrastructure is carbrained but the rot somehow does not go as deep. regardless of the historical roots of the entire city's existence.

there's so much more to that place to discover, cmon! why aren't you out being threatened with death for transportation choices, CITIZEN?

you would be surprised to learn of los angeles' historical roots re: transit

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Smythe posted:

you would be surprised to learn of los angeles' historical roots re: transit

eddie valiant already gave me the skinny, the straight dope, off the record, on the QT and very hush-hush

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Seattle is slowly adding "no turn on red" signage to major intersections around town but it's slow going.

I've noticed that some folks (seemingly rideshare drivers???) just don't make right on red and will sit there until a green. can't explain it but I'll take it.

rideshare drivers are not personally in a hurry but also dont want to pay attention to the road. thats my hypothesis anyway for why they mimick old people driving habits like driving slow [read: the speed limit] in the left lane: it's a way to minimize the necessary situational awareness to avoid accidents

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
man ubers drive like loving morons around here. They park in the fuckin bike lane, run red lights, sit in crosswalks.

legit saw one drive through a red light last week. Not like trying to beat the light or anything, we were all stopped and he just drove around us like we were all stupid. light didn't turn green for another 15 seconds.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ham Equity posted:

Anytime anyone tries to get lovely with you in front of their young children, just tell the kids that their parents are lying to them about Santa Claus, they're the ones who buy and wrap the gifts, then use Santa Claus to blackmail them into being good.

There is no virtue in a proportional response.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol @ this post

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

hahahahaha no

so you're saying it's not enjoyable to drive a car there

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Peanut President posted:

man ubers drive like loving morons around here. They park in the fuckin bike lane, run red lights, sit in crosswalks.

legit saw one drive through a red light last week. Not like trying to beat the light or anything, we were all stopped and he just drove around us like we were all stupid. light didn't turn green for another 15 seconds.

Preaching to the choir again, but rideshare companies are a menace in so many ways. Now any dickhead with a GPS can be a taxi driver. They don't know poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

eddie valiant already gave me the skinny, the straight dope, off the record, on the QT and very hush-hush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9toJw6-k8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nbcwashington/status/1746599430344650818?t=GG54n5xWDoRvxZAktauNLA&s=19

Car-involved incident

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

anti bezo aktion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't believe a car would go inside a Whole Foods.