Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, HA really doesn't want to be run as a service or in a container, it wants a dedicated system and is happiest either on bare metal or in a VM. I ended up migrating it from a virtd VM on that server to a separate low-power proxmox host just to make it easier to administer.
Not sure why you'd say this? Home Assistant runs just fine in a container, I've been running it under docker on my Synology NAS for several years with no issues.
You lose the ability to add-ons if you run it in a container but it operates just fine. I've never felt the need for any of the add-ons anyway.

Here's the difference in functionality between installation methods:

From here: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Slash posted:

Not sure why you'd say this? Home Assistant runs just fine in a container, I've been running it under docker on my Synology NAS for several years with no issues.
You lose the ability to add-ons if you run it in a container but it operates just fine. I've never felt the need for any of the add-ons anyway.

Here's the difference in functionality between installation methods:

From here: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/

That big red X in the container column for "Add-Ons" means that you're sacrificing the ability to easily install an INSANE number of HACS pacakges. In most cases you can still manually install and update those packages, but installing on bare-metal or virtualizing is definitely much easier.

sinequanon01
Oct 20, 2017

bobfather posted:

That big red X in the container column for "Add-Ons" means that you're sacrificing the ability to easily install an INSANE number of HACS pacakges. In most cases you can still manually install and update those packages, but installing on bare-metal or virtualizing is definitely much easier.

HACS still works in the containerized install. You’re missing things like being able to run Zigbee2MQTT or Mosquitto supervised and managed by hass. You can still run those things yourself in their own containers, though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

bobfather posted:

HACS works fine in a container. These are the Add-Ons which aren't available https://www.home-assistant.io/addons/ and I've never felt the need to use any of them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Slash posted:

HACS works fine in a container. These are the Add-Ons which aren't available https://www.home-assistant.io/addons/ and I've never felt the need to use any of them.

And that's fine for your use case, but exceptionally limiting to others. zwave.js and the UI is pretty much table stakes for a lot of people. File editor makes the (fortunately now vanishingly small) parts of HA where you still need to edit files a lot easier to deal with. I wouldn't be able to use my doorbell camera to send alerts when it's pressed without the MQTT broker and Amquest2mqtt add-on.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Nothing stops you from running those in a separate docker container alongside Home Assistant. The only "exceptionally limiting" thing is that you can't just one-click install from within Home Assistant. Your Amquest2mqtt example, for instance, has docker instructions as the recommended way of running it in its README. I've been running a containerized zigbee2mqtt alongside my Home Assistant container for years now and I've never come up against any "exceptional limits"; nor any unexceptional limits for that matter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

biznatchio posted:

Nothing stops you from running those in a separate docker container alongside Home Assistant. The only "exceptionally limiting" thing is that you can't just one-click install from within Home Assistant. Your Amquest2mqtt example, for instance, has docker instructions as the recommended way of running it in its README. I've been running a containerized zigbee2mqtt alongside my Home Assistant container for years now and I've never come up against any "exceptional limits"; nor any unexceptional limits for that matter.

Yes. this is clearly the way to do things, I don't know what I was thinking running the distribution in a virtual machine and having everything just work as designed with a singe place to administer it and one built in backup/restore routine.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Has anyone rigged up using Google Assistant voice commands to execute HA scripts?

I have my coffee maker connected to a smart plug. I have a Google clock on my nightstand. I want to be able to say "Hey Google, initiate caffeination sequence" and have it turn on the coffee maker.

e: also for HA installation nerd talk, I am running x86 HAOS on a conference room computer designed for Teams/Zoom:

specs

TheDK fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 9, 2024

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Slash posted:

Oops, yeah, I got mixed up. But losing the ability to easily use the official add-on store (IMO) is even worse than not being able to use HACS. There are a LOT of nice packages in the official add-on store!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Motronic posted:

Yes. this is clearly the way to do things, I don't know what I was thinking running the distribution in a virtual machine and having everything just work as designed with a singe place to administer it and one built in backup/restore routine.

Run it however you like, but if you want to be snippy about it I'll point out that the author of Amquest2mqtt explicitly says he doesn't provide support for the Home Assistant AddOn, so running it "as designed" is to run it as a separate docker container; and also that we wouldn't be having this discussion if you hadn't incorrectly claimed that containerized Home Assistant has "exceptional limits".

Certainly there are pros and cons of running it in its own VM versus containerized; and if I was going to set up a HA instance for someone who's non-technical, I'd use HA OS (but that's pretty marginal because I think you need to be somewhat technically-inclined to be expected to manage an HA instance at all); but if you're someone that perhaps has an existing home lab where the container is a more appropriate choice, then the containerized version is just fine and can do everything you might want it to do without "exceptional limits".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm going to be putting a RGBW LED strip under my kitchen cabinets and while I was measuring it out I had the idea that it'd be nice to have buttons that would let someone standing at the counter switch individual segments to white without needing to use a phone or voice command. I have a pretty good idea how to do it from a software standpoint but I'm having trouble deciding on an input device.

The idea in my head right now would be to stick it to the underside of the cabinet hiding behind the trim as much as possible with the intent to operate it by feel so whatever it is has to be low profile and tactile, no touch buttons or anything like that. The exact button count is less important, I have ideas for how to make it work with anywhere from 1-4 inputs but would prefer 3-4 buttons or 1-2 buttons and a knob so I could at least have dedicated brightness controls separate from the mode switch function.

I'm leaning in the direction of something like the three or four button versions of this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804802399911.html or maybe a knob controller like this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805910648976.html

Anyone have input on the products I linked or any thoughts on other ways to control this sort of thing? The strip itself will be driven by WLED and that'll be controlled by Home Assistant so I can make just about anything work as long as I can feed the inputs to HA somehow. Wireless strongly preferred just so I can minimize how much spaghetti I have to attach to the bottom of the cabinets. Zigbee, Z-Wave, BLE, etc. are all good, I guess technically WiFi too but I haven't had a great experience with the wake time coming out of deep sleep on battery operated WiFi devices. No one wants laggy lighting controls.

I wish the Ikea Symphonisk knob was still available, it seems a lot nicer than the Aliexpress knobs, but it seems to have been replaced by a button based controller at some point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

calandryll posted:

What are you running for these? I'm always on the look out for new streaming setups for music. I haven't found one I like enough.

I'm currently running Airsonic-Advanced. It meets most of my requirements: browsing by both tags and filesystem structure, server-side transcoding of anything ffmpeg supports, streaming to browser or android clients, and precaching of tracks on android for offline playback. The only thing it's missing is streaming to a named pipe on the server; it has a "jukebox mode" but it wants an ALSA audio sink. Its main problems are that it is now mostly unmaintained and the UI is a disaster.

I am testing mStream as a replacement. It lacks builtin support for all the file formats I need, but I plan to pair it with ffmpegfs to deal with that; I can point it at an ffmpegfs mount and the filesystem itself will transcode formats mStream doesn't support, like MPC and UMX. I've only been using it for a day or two but I'm pretty happy with it so far. I still need to test the android app; it uses a custom protocol rather than the Subsonic API that Airsonic supports.

I've previously tested Gonic; as a server it's rock solid, and it supports arbitrary commands for jukebox mode (so I can stream it to a snapserver). Unfortunately it requires a separate, subsonic-compatible web UI if you want to use it from the browser and I have not found one that's acceptable. Like mStream it needs to be paired with ffmpegfs to support uncommon formats.

Navidrome and Funkwhale don't support browsing by filesystem and Jellyfin is more oriented towards watching videos, so I've disregarded those as music servers.

Even if mStream works out I'm going to need something else to drive the snapserver, most likely, and I'm not sure what I'm going to use for that.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TheDK posted:

I have my coffee maker connected to a smart plug.

Might be easier to get a coffeemaker that uses HTCPCP.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
My network's setup with an isolated IOT network. I started upgrading stuff to Matter firmware and realized Matter's mDNS traffic is all ipv6, which my current mdns reflector (opnsense) doesn't support. Whoops. I probably should have done that research first because firmware rollback isn't a given. I lost a bunch of homekit devices.

Tons of ways to fix it -- avahi on a VM, moving the Apple TVs into the IOT vlan -- but :effort:

Posting in case it might help someone else avoid it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is this the place to ask about smoke detectors? I live in a small apartment building where we need new detectors for cellar and stairs. Some of the tenants have expensive security systems for their own apartments and prefer to hold on to these.

Is Google Nest Protect a good alternative? If so, is it possible to have a “public” Google Nest Protect loop for common areas, and then private loops in apartments for those who want to use Google Nest in their apartment as well? Like this:

Google Nest in your own apartment <-> Google Nest in common areas

While also keeping them as separate loops?

E: the two loops should be able to send alarms to each other, but people should only be able to see and admin the loops in their own apartment

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 13, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
You need to not even think about rolling your own when it comes to common area life safety systems. Not even self-install. You need to call a certified and insured fire protection service company that hopefully your building already uses for common area extinguisher inspection/replacement and get them to spec and install a system that meets the building's needs.

If people with fancy alarm systems want notification of common area alarms they should talk to their system vendors, who almost definitely have a "smoke detector detector" that they can install that will trip when it hears another smoke/system going off. Alternately, and at a pretty large expense, completely isolated loops for apartments could be created with relays/contactors, but I bet you'll not find anyone willing to take on that kind of potential liability.

e: I'm not sure I'd even sign off on a system with extra loops like that. I'd want a stamped plan from a fire protection engineer at a minimum, and I doubt you'd find one that - again- would be willing to take on that kind of professional liability (speaking as a former municipal fire marshal)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 13, 2024

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I need a couple indoor IP cameras for my home, so the other family in our nanny share can check in when the kids are over here. I've got a pretty thorough home network set up, so my ideal device would probably be something that serves up a stream over HTTP that I could just proxy through nginx with HTTP Basic Auth. Wifi would be ideal, PoE might be doable (I'll have to double-check how many ethernet ports I've got in the living room, I've already got my Ubiquiti AP plugged using one).

I've been fooling around with a Pi Zero W + camera kit but may find the result unsatisfactory (assuming I can make it work at all)

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2024

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I am just getting into smart home stuff so it is all pretty new to me.
I have up a Google Home to use voice commands for various things and I have run into a problem with music I'm not sure how to solve.

My desired operation is this.

1. I am sitting in my hobby room touching my computer and listening to my Spotify account.

2. My ~*wife*~ or kids walk up to the Google Home speaker and give commands to listen to podcasts, Taylor Swift, Ministry, etc

3. The speaker plays this stuff using a "house account", not using the individual devices.

My problem is that whenever someone gives a command to the speaker it uses my own Spotify account.
I have tried to set up a new Google account for the Google Home with its own Spotify account I can use as the "house account" but I don't understand how get it to use this Spotify amount whenever voice commands are given at the speaker.

Anytime dealt with a similar issue? If so, how did you solve it?

therunningman fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 15, 2024

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I'm like $500 deep into this:

Nothing I throw at it makes it even come close to like any utilization.

Your electric bill so far is $500 deep?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

therunningman posted:

I am just getting into smart home stuff so it is all pretty new to me.
I have up a Google Home to use voice commands for various things and I have run into a problem with music I'm not sure how to solve.

My desired operation is this.

1. I am sitting in my hobby room touching my committee and listening to my Spotify account.

2. My ~*wife*~ or kids walk up to the Google Home speaker and give commands to listen to podcasts, Taylor Swift, Ministry, etc

3. The speaker plays this stuff using a "house account", not using the individual devices.

My problem is that whenever someone gives a command to the speaker it uses my own Spotify account.
I have tried to set up a new Google account for the Google Home with its own Spotify account I can use as the "house account" but I don't understand how get it to use this Spotify amount whenever voice commands are given at the speaker.

Anytime dealt with a similar issue? If so, how did you solve it?

I can only speak from an Alexa perspective, so this may be useful or irrelevant. As part of adding the Spotify Skill to your alexa account you have to login to a spotify account and authorise the linking. So my suggestion would be to remove the "Spotify Skill" from your google home account and re-add it, when asked to login to spotify use the credentials for your new "house account".

I used to have a "house spotify account" setup on my alexa, but it meant that i couldn't control music from the app(using spotify connect) on my phone unless i logged into that account. This was enough of an annoyance that i just set the home alexas to use my personal spotify account.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm setting up babby's first Home Assistant instance, and I've almost got it ready, but unfortunately it looks like I need a bluetooth proxy for one of my temperaure/humidity sensors. I think I get what I need to do on the software side, but I know nothing about embedded hardware. Anyone who has done it before, is it really necessary to hard wire the network connection for a bluetooth proxy for for low bandwidth bluetooth devices? If I do have to hard wire, is there anything I should be looking at besides an ESP32 Gateway, case & power?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm setting up babby's first Home Assistant instance, and I've almost got it ready, but unfortunately it looks like I need a bluetooth proxy for one of my temperaure/humidity sensors. I think I get what I need to do on the software side, but I know nothing about embedded hardware. Anyone who has done it before, is it really necessary to hard wire the network connection for a bluetooth proxy for for low bandwidth bluetooth devices? If I do have to hard wire, is there anything I should be looking at besides an ESP32 Gateway, case & power?

You should be able to use any ESP32 over WiFi and skip the gateway, but it will be slower than over Ethernet. ESP8266 won't work.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've added two more home automations, brining my total count of automations to a whopping THREE.

The new automations:
Turn off TV backlight when TV is turned off - pretty straightforward
Turn on backlight if TV on and dark out - a little complicated, because the "dark out" is conditional based on the Lux measurement from my Ecowitt weather station, which I recently installed over the holidays.

The TV backlight was something I didn't think I would want, but now is a must have when watching something at night. Friends/family love it as well so, if the wife is happy with it, I consider it a job well done.

I was happy that I was able to create these, albeit very basic, automations from the HA app on my phone.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I need a couple indoor IP cameras for my home, so the other family in our nanny share can check in when the kids are over here. I've got a pretty thorough home network set up, so my ideal device would probably be something that serves up a stream over HTTP that I could just proxy through nginx with HTTP Basic Auth. Wifi would be ideal, PoE might be doable (I'll have to double-check how many ethernet ports I've got in the living room, I've already got my Ubiquiti AP plugged using one).

I've been fooling around with a Pi Zero W + camera kit but may find the result unsatisfactory (assuming I can make it work at all)

TP-Link Tapo cameras support RTSP out of the box and don't require a subscription. Basic ones start at $20

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

blunt posted:

TP-Link Tapo cameras support RTSP out of the box and don't require a subscription. Basic ones start at $20

Thank you, I ended up at the same conclusion yesterday, ordered the cheapest one to try it out. I'll try to remember to report back on how well it works.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My home assistant box died, RIP. Not really surprised, it was 10+ years old sff machine. Thankfully I have backups so it’s just a matter of picking a replacement.

Thinking about a Pi4 8gb and run HA off a usb3 SSD. I know the pi 5 is out this month but I don’t really want to wait for the new Poe+ hat. I don’t have a ton of addons, the biggest one is UniFi manager.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

devmd01 posted:

My home assistant box died, RIP. Not really surprised, it was 10+ years old sff machine. Thankfully I have backups so it’s just a matter of picking a replacement.

Thinking about a Pi4 8gb and run HA off a usb3 SSD. I know the pi 5 is out this month but I don’t really want to wait for the new Poe+ hat. I don’t have a ton of addons, the biggest one is UniFi manager.

For a little more you can buy a refurbed Dell SFF or MFF machine (with their current sale, anyway) and have a more capable server to run HA and other stuff as well.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Slash posted:

I can only speak from an Alexa perspective, so this may be useful or irrelevant. As part of adding the Spotify Skill to your alexa account you have to login to a spotify account and authorise the linking. So my suggestion would be to remove the "Spotify Skill" from your google home account and re-add it, when asked to login to spotify use the credentials for your new "house account".

I used to have a "house spotify account" setup on my alexa, but it meant that i couldn't control music from the app(using spotify connect) on my phone unless i logged into that account. This was enough of an annoyance that i just set the home alexas to use my personal spotify account.

Thanks for the input!
I managed to get it working by removing myself from the home completely, then adding the house Spotify account. Finally inviting myself back to the home via my house account.

I lost whatever I had built under my own account but it was not much and has been rebuilt under the home account.

It seems to work as expected so far.... further use will show where the friction is!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thank you, I ended up at the same conclusion yesterday, ordered the cheapest one to try it out. I'll try to remember to report back on how well it works.

The camera showed up, I interfaced it with Zoneminder, it seems to be working fine so I've ordered some more.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kalman posted:

For a little more you can buy a refurbed Dell SFF or MFF machine (with their current sale, anyway) and have a more capable server to run HA and other stuff as well.

I considered it, but the low power usage of the Pi especially with adding Poe appeals to me. Other stuff isn’t on the table, I already have an esxi machine for that. Unfortunately it can’t do passthru of the z-wave dongle otherwise HA would have been running there all along.

I’d rather not have three PCs running 24/7 like I have been, I want fewer computers to janitor after work. When I’m done with my job at the end of the day, I do not want to deal with technology one goddamn bit.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Are there any Hubitat users here? I'm planning my livingroom and I want to make sure I'm approaching things right.

I want to use voice commands through Google Home and a Zooz Zen32 controller to trigger different lighting scenes.

I have a bunch of Hue bulbs in a bunch of recessed fixtures on a single circuit and also separate lamps.
I've used bulbs rather than switches in the recessed lights because I want granular control over the lights.

My current thinking is to set up virtual buttons in Hubitat triggering a Rule to light and fade the different bulbs accordingly. These virtual buttons cloths then be exposed to Google Home and triggered with either voice commands, the Zooz controller, or through the Hub directly.

The voice control is important in order to have buy-in from family members.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi thread

Is there a go-to cheapo, basic wifi thermostat that I can control from an app or website?

I want something for the garage and I'd rather not buy another nest, which I have for the main house. I mean, the nest is ok but I just want something super basic ambient temp reading and control abilities.

The garage can get cold, potentially 0C on a very cold winter day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

Is there a go-to cheapo, basic wifi thermostat that I can control from an app or website?

I want something for the garage and I'd rather not buy another nest, which I have for the main house. I mean, the nest is ok but I just want something super basic ambient temp reading and control abilities.

I'm extremely happy with my Mysa products (4 or 5 baseboard heater smart thermostats). What kind of heating do you have there? Looks like they can cover a variety of applications. I have it tied into google home but the default app is more than fine.

https://getmysa.com/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a go-to recommendation for a very responsive zigbee motion sensor for home assistant for doing hallway lighting and similar stuff?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

VelociBacon posted:

I'm extremely happy with my Mysa products (4 or 5 baseboard heater smart thermostats). What kind of heating do you have there? Looks like they can cover a variety of applications. I have it tied into google home but the default app is more than fine.

https://getmysa.com/

It's a forced air natural gas overhead heater, same wiring connections as a regular central heating furnace.

I will check into those!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Is there a go-to recommendation for a very responsive zigbee motion sensor for home assistant for doing hallway lighting and similar stuff?

What are some more specific use cases? Aqara FP2 mmwave is something I've seen for actual motion.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

The Ecobee3 Lite is a frequent recommendation in HomeAssistant circles. My parents have one and it seems to work great for them and can easily integrate into basically all the smart home systems.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheDK posted:

What are some more specific use cases? Aqara FP2 mmwave is something I've seen for actual motion.
Expensive and wired, but will work for some stuff.

Its for doing automatic hallway lights, so the mmwave may be overkill.

Zigbee, responsive, inexpensive ($20-40 would be fine) preferably.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Expensive and wired, but will work for some stuff.

Its for doing automatic hallway lights, so the mmwave may be overkill.

Zigbee, responsive, inexpensive ($20-40 would be fine) preferably.

I've been fine with the basic Aqara motion sesnor: https://www.aqara.com/en/product/human-motion-sensor/. Same use case as you, motion-detected hall light, connected to Home Assistant via ZHA.

Edit: There's also a newer P1 model, but I don't know what difference it makes.

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GigaFuzz posted:

I've been fine with the basic Aqara motion sesnor: https://www.aqara.com/en/product/human-motion-sensor/. Same use case as you, motion-detected hall light, connected to Home Assistant via ZHA.

Edit: There's also a newer P1 model, but I don't know what difference it makes.

I have one of these in my living room, programmed to turn on a lamp when there's motion and the light level is low. Works great.