Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That could come dangerously close to giving Yumi a character so it's off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pushed through to the ending of Y:LAD since I was literally at the final gauntlet's doorstep and all.

Final area had good music but the final non-perfunctory boss fight was a real chore and the ending was kind of unsatisfying as well. It didn't really succeed at making me care about these characters or their connections to each other in the end. I guess I'll do Gaiden and 8 at some point but I'm not in a huge hurry right now.

e: I can't believe the first trailer for this game spoiled basically the entire story lol. I didn't see it until I'd almost finished the game but this really seems to be a thing with Sega. Perfect dodging every spoiler for this game wasn't even worth it in the end, didn't care much for the second half of the story.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 15, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

holy poo poo dsfargeg is in this game???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Like Sapozhnik I just rolled credits on Like a Dragon 7 (like, they're playing right now!) and holy gently caress what a game, I absolutely loved it already but the final third of the game is just spectacular. What an ending, goddamn.

... oh God poor Ichiban! :cry:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

goblin week posted:

holy poo poo dsfargeg is in this game???

Jshfyxaaag is in it too

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Pushed through to the ending of Y:LAD since I was literally at the final gauntlet's doorstep and all.

Final area had good music but the final non-perfunctory boss fight was a real chore and the ending was kind of unsatisfying as well. It didn't really succeed at making me care about these characters or their connections to each other in the end. I guess I'll do Gaiden and 8 at some point but I'm not in a huge hurry right now.

e: I can't believe the first trailer for this game spoiled basically the entire story lol. I didn't see it until I'd almost finished the game but this really seems to be a thing with Sega. Perfect dodging every spoiler for this game wasn't even worth it in the end, didn't care much for the second half of the story.

Yakuza are yearly release games (generally) and do best when you've given them that time to sit and re-engage your appetite for them. Binging them all, even if it's just one then another, does neither yourself or the game any favours imo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yakuza are yearly release games (generally) and do best when you've given them that time to sit and re-engage your appetite for them. Binging them all, even if it's just one then another, does neither yourself or the game any favours imo.

You can feel the heat coursing through your veins in real time. You cannot be stopped.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Okay I slept on it and drat, I have Opinions about the end of Y:LAD, because it really left a nasty taste in my mouth.

To cut down what was a way-too-long rant, I just don't like how it spends the last half hour of the game asking me to feel sorry for a butthurt right wing manchild that the entire game has spent building up as an irredeemable piece of poo poo. I understand that you're not going to get a particularly nuanced engagement with these sorts of topics in a game series that romanticizes organized crime groups that engage in loan-sharking and human trafficking in real life, but I feel like Y:LAD was particularly egregious about it because it is a personal story about a very lovely person rather than merely having Yakuza groups as a general systemic backdrop of the setting. The point in the midgame where Hamako's girls all get rounded up and deported after the early game beat us around the head with the details of their desperate situations was the point at which Masato became irredeemable, but we don't spend any more time feeling sorry for the sex workers that he deported because in the end they're just set dressing for the purposes of story telling aesthetics, and engaging any further with them is just not good aesthetics.

It's weird too, because even in the middle of his big responsibility-dodging pity party he clearly misses the entire reason why his girlfriend from the start of the game in the end wanted nothing to do with him (that is, him being a weird awkward nerd throwing daddy's money around and clearly making everybody around him uncomfortable). He'd rather blow his brains out than take any responsibility or endure any more butthurt. Oh and also Kume is every bit as rotten as Masato is, but Kume is an ugly little snivelling goblin that the audience is meant to hate, but Masato is an intelligent and well-spoken pretty boy who the story wants us to agree with, that he is just misunderstood and, you know, you can sympathize with the reasons for his incredibly destructive temper tantrum just a little bit, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Okay I slept on it and drat, I have Opinions about the end of Y:LAD and how its message is actually really rotten.

To cut down what was a way-too-long rant, I just don't like how it spends the last half hour of the game asking me to feel sorry for a butthurt right wing manchild that the entire game has spent building up as an irredeemable piece of poo poo. I understand that you're not going to get a particularly nuanced engagement with these sorts of topics in a game series that romanticizes organized crime groups that engage in loan-sharking and human trafficking in real life, but I feel like Y:LAD was particularly egregious about it because it is a personal story about a very lovely person rather than merely having Yakuza groups as a general systemic backdrop of the setting. The point in the midgame where Hamako's girls all get rounded up and deported after the early game beat us around the head with the details of their desperate situations was the point at which Masato became irredeemable, but we don't spend any more time feeling sorry for the sex workers that he deported because in the end they're just set dressing for the purposes of story telling aesthetics, and engaging any further with them is just not good aesthetics.

It's weird too, because even in the middle of his big responsibility-dodging pity party he clearly misses the entire reason why his girlfriend from the start of the game in the end wanted nothing to do with him (that is, him being a weird awkward nerd throwing daddy's money around and clearly making everybody around him uncomfortable). He'd rather blow his brains out than take any responsibility or endure any more butthurt. Oh and also Kume is every bit as rotten as Masato is, but Kume is an ugly little snivelling goblin that the audience is meant to hate, but Masato is an intelligent and well-spoken pretty boy who the story wants us to agree with, that he is just misunderstood and, you know, you can sympathize with the reasons for his incredibly destructive temper tantrum just a little bit, right?

I don't believe the story is ever saying that you, the audience, are supposed to sympathize with him. Kasuga cares about him because Kasuga is a friendship elemental who wants to give everyone possible a chance and he is important to Kasuga because he is Kasuga's basically-brother and he wants an ending for him that isn't him dying. He's a bad person but Kasuga is pretty strongly defined by seeing bad people and going "You are a piece of poo poo but that doesn't mean I won't try to help you not be a piece of poo poo."

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
This is a game where a guy can walk again because he shot himself up with ephedrine.

That doesn't invalidate complaints by any means I'm just saying.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It’s Gaius van Baelsar all over again.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I don't believe the story is ever saying that you, the audience, are supposed to sympathize with him. Kasuga cares about him because Kasuga is a friendship elemental who wants to give everyone possible a chance and he is important to Kasuga because he is Kasuga's basically-brother and he wants an ending for him that isn't him dying. He's a bad person but Kasuga is pretty strongly defined by seeing bad people and going "You are a piece of poo poo but that doesn't mean I won't try to help you not be a piece of poo poo."

Kasuga should befriend Kume and set him on the right path then. Short kings need love too. Sure Kume stabbed Kasuga's brother to death but everybody makes some regrettable lapses in judgement every once in a while.

The bones of the plot are actually perfectly fine and they could have done something really good with it, they just needed to add another character like Nanoha, but have this character work for Hamako instead of Nonomiya. Interact with her regularly, talk about her family situation, have her hang out in a location that they player frequently visits. Then after the sanctuary sweep she's just, gone. Your final conversation with her was something arbitrary and insignificant. Have some flashbacks of Kasuga and co hanging out with her.

Then at the end have Kasuga face down Masato and say that hey, he loves Masato like a brother, he wishes things had gone differently, but what you have done cannot be forgiven and you have to for once in your life face up to it and take responsibility.

That would have been fantastic and it involves hardly any changes to the story.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 15, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sapozhnik posted:

Then at the end have Kasuga face down Masato and say that hey, he loves Masato like a brother, he wishes things had gone differently, but what you have done cannot be forgiven and you have to for once in your life face up to it and take responsibility.

Kasuga never tells Masato anything along the lines of “I forgive you for everything you’ve done” or whatever you’re trying to say.

Kasuga is telling Masato that Masato doesn’t have to continue down this path of doing terrible poo poo, nor does he need to throw his life away. There is another option - go to jail, pay the time for crimes committed, and then when he gets out, start over from the bottom. Be a better person.

Kasuga fundamentally believes that everyone can make a change and start doing “good” in the world.

Kume is the one that believes that certain actions make people irredeemable and they need to be permanently punished for them.

Mordiceius posted:

It’s Gaius van Baelsar all over again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sapozhnik posted:

Is this not literally what happens at the coin lockers at the end? Ichiban talked down Masato from blowing his brains out, who was then going to turn himself in to serve his time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Kasuga should befriend Kume and set him on the right path then. Short kings need love too. Sure Kume stabbed Kasuga's brother to death but everybody makes some regrettable lapses in judgement every once in a while.

The bones of the plot are actually perfectly fine and they could have done something really good with it, they just needed to add another character like Nanoha, but have this character work for Hamako instead of Nonomiya. Interact with her regularly, talk about her family situation, have her hang out in a location that they player frequently visits. Then after the sanctuary sweep she's just, gone. Your final conversation with her was something arbitrary and insignificant. Have some flashbacks of Kasuga and co hanging out with her.

That would have been fantastic and it involves hardly any changes to the story.

I mean Kasuga very well might befriend Kume if he ran into him again. There's no real strong indication that Kasuga would not forgive Kume for what he did because, again, Kasuga is a friendship elemental. He just would do it by saying Kume needs to turn himself in and deal with the consequences or something like that because that is the kind of guy Kasuga is. He will save you if at all possible.

Like that's what happened at the end. Kasuga went "You need to turn yourself in but I'll be here for you".

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

ImpAtom posted:

I interpreted it as less about Ichiban being a friendship elemental and more about him trying to hold on to the tiniest notion of family. Ichiban's entire life has been defined by abandonment, and by the end of the game everyone in his adoptive (and biological) family has been murdered. Masato is all he has left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I interpreted it as less about Ichiban being a friendship elemental and more about him trying to hold on to the tiniest notion of family. Ichiban's entire life has been defined by abandonment, and by the end of the game everyone in his adoptive (and biological) family has been murdered. Masato is all he has left.

It's both, I think. Ichiban gives everyone a poo poo but he's going to give his one surviving family member a whole lot more of a poo poo because of who he is.

Also his adoptive family of a hobo, a police detective, a hostess, two insanely badass criminals and a office ninja are alive and well, thank you. :colbert:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

ImpAtom posted:

Also his adoptive family of a hobo, a police detective, a hostess, two insanely badass criminals and a office ninja are alive and well, thank you. :colbert:

Yeah, I agree and this is what made the ending scenes afterward work well. Personally I thought the plot was pretty muddled but the chosen family plot + the incredible Japanese VA performances nailed the ending for me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I really need to watch a recap of 7 before I play 8 because I barely remember any of this. Most of my memories of that game's plot are the early chapters (such as the 50 hours you spend investigating a retirement home and then the counterfeit notes thing).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It was funny watching a video from some youtuber playing YLAD for the first time because I forgot that after the like hour long opening of Arakawa's past there's almost immediately another 30 minute part that's just a different part of Arakawa's past, the guy was probably 3 hours in and Ichiban was still in 1999 lol

Expecting Infinite Wealth to break these records obviously

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Meanwhile Judgment establishes its main character, the game's core concept, and the central plot Incident, Genda Law Office, Kaito, and a handful of tutorializing straight into hard opening credits in the span of 15-20 minutes. Truly a land of contrasts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

Meanwhile Judgment establishes its main character, the game's core concept, and the central plot Incident, Genda Law Office, Kaito, and a handful of tutorializing straight into hard opening credits in the span of 15-20 minutes. Truly a land of contrasts

To be fair it does that by steadfastedly refusing to give the protagonist any sort of personality or emotions.

Edit: Well, "kicking rad skateboard tricks" is technically a personality trait.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the size of yagami's personality is only eclipsed by that of his rear end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Wait how did I play through that entire game without knowing that you could just summon an Uber from anywhere from your smartphone ayfkm

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Why couldn’t judgment have been about akiyama, who is now using his infinite wealth to solve mysteries instead of making girls work at his bar

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because Infinite Wealth is about something else.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

It was funny watching a video from some youtuber playing YLAD for the first time because I forgot that after the like hour long opening of Arakawa's past there's almost immediately another 30 minute part that's just a different part of Arakawa's past, the guy was probably 3 hours in and Ichiban was still in 1999 lol

Expecting Infinite Wealth to break these records obviously

I just started with this over the weekend, completely new to the yakuza series. About 6hrs in and it feels like I'm just watching a movie. I assume not all the games are like this. At least the story so far is pretty engaging.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I just started with this over the weekend, completely new to the yakuza series. About 6hrs in and it feels like I'm just watching a movie. I assume not all the games are like this. At least the story so far is pretty engaging.

They are, and it rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yakuza basically veers between watching a gritty crime thriller, absurd comedy, or being a whole lot of insane combat and minigames, and the exact ratio isn't always the same.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah the gameplay/cutscene ratio is ridiculous, but most of them front and back load it so you'll have three straight hours of the most gritty slow paced crime thriller of all time and then suddenly the world opens up and you'll spend 20 hours fuckimg around with substories, minigames and exploration and then only vaguely remember you were supposed to go meet a guy somewhere to continue the plot

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Judgement this morning. Awesome game and awesome storyline injected into a familiar universe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah. The opening chapter and the final chapter will both be like 2 hours of cutscenes intercut with a combined total of 20 minutes of gameplay. It rules.

The thing to know about RGG games is that they are basically interactive Japanese crime soap operas.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the Yakuza/LAD games are one of those situations where if someone is bothered by heavy cutscene content, the games probably aren't for them. Especially LAD, where the core gameplay isn't exactly great.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I might have my steam deck before I'm even done judgment. FedEx has it now. Who knows how long it'll take from Illinois to my house here in Alberta.

But back into the topic, I absolutely loved LAD. I liked the combat, even with the issues it had. The changes I saw in the trial version of IW really make it seem better. Being able to better position my characters for doing AoE damage or seeing exactly the area of effect for an attack? Amazing. Hopefully the gear system is improved from LAD as that was the absolute weakest part of the entire game. Seeing the other QoL stuff that RGG is putting into the game is also great for the combat side of things. While you can just steamroll through groups of weaker enemies instantly, if you want to see how good a new skill you get is, you can still fight them if you want.

Really looking forward to infinite wealth. Will also likely have lost judgment and play that on the deck instead of my PC as the steam deck is nearly here.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

But back into the topic, I absolutely loved LAD. I liked the combat, even with the issues it had. The changes I saw in the trial version of IW really make it seem better. Being able to better position my characters for doing AoE damage or seeing exactly the area of effect for an attack? Amazing. Hopefully the gear system is improved from LAD as that was the absolute weakest part of the entire game. Seeing the other QoL stuff that RGG is putting into the game is also great for the combat side of things. While you can just steamroll through groups of weaker enemies instantly, if you want to see how good a new skill you get is, you can still fight them if you want.

Totally agree, I'm in the middle of replaying it right now and I still love it but I'm also super stoked to play around with all the improvements that IW is bringing.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I haven't preordered a game or even paid full price in a long time but I'm going to take a chance on this one. Don't let me down RGG...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Virtue posted:

I haven't preordered a game or even paid full price in a long time but I'm going to take a chance on this one. Don't let me down RGG...

You fool! As soon as they get your money they will reveal that the game you wanted was actually swapped at birth with a copy of Madden 2016!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You paid full price? I preordered it from Fanatical and got the ultimate edition.

Well technically since you can be a football man...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Would Ichiban preorder the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ichiban would preorder it and then go wait in line for the midnight release like a real freak