Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

poisonpill posted:

I mean, you’re not wrong… but what is this in response to?

Nobody mentioned the west wing so far as I can tell on this page

its all nice on rice posted:

Started watching Ted Lasso. While it's charming and draws a laugh here and there, I don't see how they keep this up for 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF79q4rXVxQ

This actually looks like it could be a lot of fun. Really feels like they're embracing the pulpy origins.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Mozi posted:

unlike conservatives?

conservatives want scenes of chaos and terror and immigrants with blue hair getting gay married. the prefer to whip themselves into a loving frenzy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RLM is good in that in bridges the american political divide between the hard Right chuds (Mike, Rich), the loony libs (Jay) and even the Libertarian losers (Josh, Jack)

if more people watched it.... america would heal

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

lol at drunk mike interrupting the game to suss out the most complicated technobabbley reason why and when and how troi can intuit what people on the viewscreen are thinking like a true star track fan, and not just consider "betazoids are good at cold reads"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

conservatives want scenes of chaos and terror and immigrants with blue hair getting gay married. the prefer to whip themselves into a loving frenzy

They want shows where those things happen and then a studly white Christian male shows up to put things right, so it's really more of a power fantasy than anything else

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF79q4rXVxQ

This actually looks like it could be a lot of fun. Really feels like they're embracing the pulpy origins.

Got no problem with a constant flow of pulp serials. It's the way those properties were meant to be.

Now, let me tell you why they should stop making Star Wars/Marvel/Transformers movies ...

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

lol at drunk mike interrupting the game to suss out the most complicated technobabbley reason why and when and how troi can intuit what people on the viewscreen are thinking like a true star track fan, and not just consider "betazoids are good at cold reads"

then you would think the computer would just be as effective at analyzing voice and facial queues.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Seems like a full telepath would be more tactically valuable on the flagship, but Deanna is a nepotism hire.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Psychic powers are the worst storytelling device. They start out as a metaphor for society, “the force others”. But then the story’s message becomes society is unnecessary because psychic powers fill the gap. Total fart huffing about how wanting something really hard gives you magic powers.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cubone posted:

“a man who is allergic to barbers.“

lol

i recently went back to ohio to visit my boomer parents and i watched 1.5 seasons of ted lasso with them because they are elderly and its loving cold outside and that is what ted lasso is good for. a show all ages can watch together and enjoy at least a little bit to varying degrees. personally i liked it ip to a point and then it got way sappy (i think it was the xmas ep that made me groan). its starting to get on my nerves but ill probably finish it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PostNouveau posted:

Got no problem with a constant flow of pulp serials. It's the way those properties were meant to be.

Now, let me tell you why they should stop making Star Wars/Marvel/Transformers movies ...

None of those properties are filmed in Spanish. That must be it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vakal posted:

then you would think the computer would just be as effective at analyzing voice and facial queues.

troi deleted those algorithms shortly after boarding the enterprise

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Started watching Ted Lasso. While it's charming and draws a laugh here and there, I don't see how they keep this up for 3 seasons.

I haven’t watched it but I heard the last season fell off hard. Just squandered all its goodwill.

I enjoyed the first 2 though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ted Lasso was a perfect 1 season during a time that kinda sucked. It didn't need to keep going and it definitely didn't need to go for 3 seasons. The last one was pretty bad.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

lol if you watched season 3 after the Christmas episode of season 2. I actually really liked the other episode Apple made them add to pad out their episode count, tho: the one where the other coach goes on an all night odyssey through London. For the most part it’s just kind off well made fluff. Which is fine! It’s not a holy grail, like some people are pretending itnis, but it also doesn’t need to be. Some shows can just be sort of okay for watching when you’re staying at your parents house, or talking about at work

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

at the very end of the Star Trek Trivia video this pops up for 1 frame

After squinting really hard and hurting my brain I'm pretty sure it says "Rich Evans will never ever be the true champion of Star Trek Trivia"

*edit* or I could have just read the comments and not given myself a headache

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poisonpill posted:

lol if you watched season 3 after the Christmas episode of season 2. I actually really liked the other episode Apple made them add to pad out their episode count, tho: the one where the other coach goes on an all night odyssey through London. For the most part it’s just kind off well made fluff. Which is fine! It’s not a holy grail, like some people are pretending itnis, but it also doesn’t need to be. Some shows can just be sort of okay for watching when you’re staying at your parents house, or talking about at work

Coach Beard’s Odyssey was one of my favourite episodes. Just totally superfluous but fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's the tapioca pudding of TV

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it was funny it was cleaning up at awards shows for a bit there.

(Awards shows are trash)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

George H.W. oval office posted:

Ted Lasso was a perfect 1 season during a time that kinda sucked. It didn't need to keep going and it definitely didn't need to go for 3 seasons. The last one was pretty bad.

So it's the Mandalorian. Got it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
remember when Jason Sudeikis visited Joe Brandon's white house in character as Ted Lasso and gave a speech about positivity?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ted lasso is great background noise for holidays

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

liberals love shows that exist just to reassure them they're good people

Also see: The Curse

Vakal
May 11, 2008

So it's the Mandalorian. Got it.

I mean, yeah?

Mando 1 was just a fun adventure of a simple man making his way through the galaxy, then it fell into the Star Wars curse pit of everything having to be the most important thing ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vakal posted:

I mean, yeah?

Mando 1 was just a fun adventure of a simple man making his way through the galaxy, then it fell into the Star Wars curse pit of everything having to be the most important thing ever.

The Doctor Who Disease

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i know its cool/correct to make fun of an snl alumnus but ive never really liked Jason Sudeikis anyway. he was ok on 30 rock, but i cant think of much else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i know its cool/correct to make fun of an snl alumnus but ive never really liked Jason Sudeikis anyway. he was ok on 30 rock, but i cant think of much else.

the Paul Rudd we have at home

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

paul rudd on the other hand is cool and my friend

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hackers film 1995 posted:

paul rudd on the other hand is cool and my friend

:same:

I loved him on Parks and Rec. just a glorious dummy

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I watched one episode of Ted Lasso recently, so I could finally have an opinion after years of hearing other people’s strong ones. It sort of seemed like the concept was “Ned Flanders coaching football”? It didn’t offend me, but I probably wouldn’t watch another episode without someone else suggesting it.

Speaking of stuff that makes people have strong reactions, I also watched ten minutes of an Action Button video for the first time recently and man does that guy seem like he needs to be picked on by a Looney Toon.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

PookBear posted:

ted lasso is great background noise for holidays

Um hello

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I remember reading a bit about the Olivia Wilde/Jason Sudeikis divorce and feeling a bit bad for him, but also like-- dude, you married the woman that wrote the "my first husband was so mediocre in bed and became so unattractive to me that my vagina literally died" article, like what did you expect was going to happen?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

X JAKK posted:

Um hello

Anything Joe Pera related is a “put down what you’re doing and give it your undivided attention” event. I will throw a large tree branch through your bay windows if you disagree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

X JAKK posted:

Um hello

XJAKK posts sense

mysterious frankie posted:

I watched one episode of Ted Lasso recently, so I could finally have an opinion after years of hearing other people’s strong ones. It sort of seemed like the concept was “Ned Flanders coaching football”? It didn’t offend me, but I probably wouldn’t watch another episode without someone else suggesting it.

Speaking of stuff that makes people have strong reactions, I also watched ten minutes of an Action Button video for the first time recently and man does that guy seem like he needs to be picked on by a Looney Toon.

Tim has very good taste in clothes

Anything Joe Pera related is a “put down what you’re doing and give it your undivided attention” event. I will throw a large tree branch through your bay windows if you disagree.

https://youtu.be/-D9Yx3H7Mp4?si=djprn9RZy_XsdC_r
proclick

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Is this the one where he makes a stool and then drinks hot chocolate?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Is this the one where he makes a stool and then drinks hot chocolate?

this is a compilation of all the ones they've done so far, it's got everything

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Molothecat posted:

was sisu any good? it completely flew under my radar

It's 90 minutes of an old Finnish man killing Nazis with practical effects, so yeah it's pretty good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

this is a compilation of all the ones they've done so far, it's got everything

Oh mama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

trilobite terror posted:

The Doctor Who Disease

I will gladly cop to this if it means more making GBS threads on Steven Moffat.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 15, 2024