Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tithin posted:

Wasn't Glover one of those IPs a copyright troll owned to gently caress with preservationists?
The previous owners (Infogrames/The Previous Iteration Of Atari) sold it to Piko Interactive in 2017. So a.) yes and b.) they're probably spitting chips about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Glover was one of the few video games my sister wanted so I am very familar with it. It's a good game with some interesting mechanics but nothing worth going out of the way for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo Childish Gambino

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Kins posted:

The previous owners (Infogrames/The Previous Iteration Of Atari) sold it to Piko Interactive in 2017. So a.) yes and b.) they're probably spitting chips about this.

the person who dropped that link is really "fond" of piko and we had a good laugh that they're probably pissed as hell that one of ~their properties~ leaked

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, I'm indifferent on Piko. On the one hand, yeah they just buy up old IPs, but on the other hand they do provide them as physical releases at not-terrible prices, which is kinda neat, I guess? It's not like places like Activision that misplace the source code to the Transformers games.

WHERE'S MY REMASTERED FALL OF CYBERTRON, YOU HACKS?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i would have less beef with them if they didn't buy up the IP and then absolutely poo poo on everyone else who even glanced in its direction

i know a lot of people in the preservation scene really don't like them.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol @ buying the ip for glover

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I'm purchasing the IP for Glover. pray I do not purchase it further.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

buying the ip for glover to make new carts for glover a game that is one of the cheapest second hand n64 games you can find

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol @ buying the ip for glover

Still not as funny as spending actual real world money on the rights to Zero Tolerance.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this is three degrees of hearsay, but supposedly piko showed up in the telefang community interested in "acquiring" that particular ip and basically got run out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

buying the ip for glover to make new carts for glover a game that is one of the cheapest second hand n64 games you can find

is glover an okay game? the idea of a hand as a platformer character is actually pretty appealing. could be neat, i've always thought

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

What would they even release? The jank rear end "Pokemon Jade/Diamond" english hacks?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pogonodon posted:

What would they even release? The jank rear end "Pokemon Jade/Diamond" english hacks?

They've done (as far as I can find) their own in-house translations of Chinese-only games before this, them picking up Japan-only releases and translating them isn't out of the question. That being said, as Telefang allegedly showed, the rights holder can always tell them to go pound sand instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

is glover an okay game? the idea of a hand as a platformer character is actually pretty appealing. could be neat, i've always thought

Its a cool game, it fits very nicely into that B-tier of N64 platformers.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Arivia posted:

It's a game with interesting mechanics and great music and the gameplay is fine, but it's hard carried by how nostalgic you are for it. The PS1 version is weirder than the N64 version. It can be unfairly difficult at points. It's hard for me to judge it fairly because I played it a ton growing up, went through a period where I decided it Sucked, Actually, and now I just think to have any serious nostalgia for it or to see it as more than a curiosity is a little silly. It's Fine.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Randalor posted:

They've done (as far as I can find) their own in-house translations of Chinese-only games before this, them picking up Japan-only releases and translating them isn't out of the question. That being said, as Telefang allegedly showed, the rights holder can always tell them to go pound sand instead.

Oh, drat, I completely missed they did any translations, I only remembered all the rereleases of english stuff. Neat!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

lol

Wikipedia posted:

In 2018, indie studio Golden Mushroom claimed that it would be working on a sequel to Glover for Nintendo Switch. In reality, the studio applied for the trademark for Glover but not the copyright for Glover, leading the studio to mistakenly believe that they also had ownership rights to the character and content of the original Glover game. Those rights were in fact purchased by Piko Interactive, who had purchased the copyright from Glover from Atari SA, which had purchased Hasbro Interactive in 2001.[30]

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Small Strange Bird posted:

I just noticed that in the press releases for Fear Effect 2 before it came out, "Hell's Kitchen, New York" was listed as one of the locations in the game. Unless the distinctly tall-building-less maze of generic warehouses and alleyways in Glas's war flashback is meant to be NYC, then it seems like this got cut before release, especially as we play as Hana and Deke getting their pieces of the genetic code, but not Glas. Anybody know if there's cut content?

Getting caught up on this thread but just thought I'd give some Fear Effect adjacent insider info

When I was a kid my step-dad snuck me into e3, I think this was the last time the show was in Atlanta before it moved to LA. This is probably nearly 30 years ago so my memory is not great. I played a game at the Eidos booth called "Vermin". The game looked very similar to Fear Effect's style, the main character model might have been the same. It did take place in an urban New York type setting as well, but it seemed like the game had an interesting "split" in gameplay similar to a game like Catherine. There were parts were you walked around as the human character, but then sometimes the character would turn into some weird monster/creature and you would play this overhead game in a weird flesh-scape type environment where you ate other monsters, it was honestly a lot like Pacman.

I'm probably saying a bunch of stuff that has been known for a while, since if an 8 year old played the game there's probably a lot of other people who saw it too. I remember when Fear Effect came out a year or two later I was like "Oh hey I guess they scrapped Vermin and converted it to this"

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, Fear Effect, a game that at once wants to be a pretty neat horror game and also felt like it needed to market itself exclusively on how horny it was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, Fear Effect, a game that at once wants to be a pretty neat horror game and also felt like it needed to market itself exclusively on how horny it was.

Why did my mind go to that one horror game where you're a cameraman and the game is just busty news anchors who you film getting killed?

I think it was something like Michigan Report From Hell

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

you'll never believe how many climaxes this game has

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was it one of the Fear Effect games that had a character smuggle a gun into prison? and when asked, she said women have more places to hide things?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

Was it one of the Fear Effect games that had a character smuggle a gun into prison? and when asked, she said women have more places to hide things?

That was Metal Gear Solid.

kirbysuperstar posted:

you'll never believe how many climaxes this game has

"These ladies put the rear end in assassins" is one that always stood out to me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That was Metal Gear Solid.

"These ladies put the rear end in assassins" is one that always stood out to me.

My mistake, it was a line about only being able to hide one gun if she was naked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fear Effect was also the only video game where the Macarena was essential.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Leal posted:

Why did my mind go to that one horror game where you're a cameraman and the game is just busty news anchors who you film getting killed?

I think it was something like Michigan Report From Hell

Got it in one. There actually is one male anchor, but he's only available on the last level if you get all the others killed. If any of your reporters die, you just skip to the next level that another reporter can first appear in, all the way to the end. You can keep any of them alive for the remaining length of the game, though, and there's rewards for all of them individually. Nothing really significantly changes based on who you have with you, though, you just have increasingly smaller parts of the game to replay if you're attempting a "completionist" file. And you can unlock... a secret shoot with them in bikinis pole-dancing and such, hot PS2 polygonal recording. Thank you, SUDA51.

The game's name is also referring to Lake Michigan, as it actually takes place in Chicago.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was it actually any good? It certainly sounds interesting as a concept.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Michigan has long been on my list of games to check out because I love foreign-made Americana. Grimbeard on youtube has a nice lengthy recent review that shows some fun characters and sometimes even slightly interesting gameplay ideas.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Only from the second game I think, the first one was a pretty solid action horror game that was marketed more on its cinematic credentials. Since the entire game world except for the characters is all FMV you just walk on.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hogama posted:

Got it in one. There actually is one male anchor, but he's only available on the last level if you get all the others killed. If any of your reporters die, you just skip to the next level that another reporter can first appear in, all the way to the end. You can keep any of them alive for the remaining length of the game, though, and there's rewards for all of them individually. Nothing really significantly changes based on who you have with you, though, you just have increasingly smaller parts of the game to replay if you're attempting a "completionist" file. And you can unlock... a secret shoot with them in bikinis pole-dancing and such, hot PS2 polygonal recording. Thank you, SUDA51.

The game's name is also referring to Lake Michigan, as it actually takes place in Chicago.

Fifteen hours of gameplay five different…what? Five different what!???!?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The horny marketing for Fear Effect 2 was all on Eidos, but Kronos (the devs) didn't complain too loudly. The company head said in an interview that he just wished Eidos had followed them up with ads that said anything about the game itself. Poor sweet child.

Actually, looking more closely at those ads - the part with tiny screenshots of the game itself, that is - and promotional images does reveal some things that aren't the same as the final version. Hana has a different hairstyle and her face is more like in FE1, Rain has an alternate outfit, and there's a pic of Rain in a location that isn't in the game, a dockyard during daytime. So something definitely got trimmed.

I really like FE2, but yeesh, those adverts are now just :gonk: .

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Friend posted:

lol

Wikipedia posted:

Those rights were in fact purchased by Piko Interactive, who had purchased the copyright from Glover from Atari SA, which had purchased Hasbro Interactive in 2001.

:sigh:

This just reminds me that we’re never going to get any more No One Lives Forever since nobody knows who the rights belong to anymore.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

:sigh:

This just reminds me that we’re never going to get any more No One Lives Forever since nobody knows who the rights belong to anymore.

Just make the game and see who sues

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Just make the game and see who sues
Night Dive Studios tried drawing fire in 2014-2015, and was able to narrow it down to Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox and Activision. Warner wasn't willing to go along without at least one of the others being involved, and the other two had lost the digital versions of the relevant paperwork and weren't especially enthusiastic about the potentially-expensive prospect of trawling through storage lockers to try and find the hard-copies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Randalor posted:

Was it actually any good? It certainly sounds interesting as a concept.

No lol

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ImpAtom posted:

Fear Effect was also the only video game where the Macarena was essential.

Maybe the only game for you. I game different.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Kins posted:

Night Dive Studios tried drawing fire in 2014-2015, and was able to narrow it down to Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox and Activision. Warner wasn't willing to go along without at least one of the others being involved, and the other two had lost the digital versions of the relevant paperwork and weren't especially enthusiastic about the potentially-expensive prospect of trawling through storage lockers to try and find the hard-copies.

Maybe now that Activision is owned by Microsoft now, lord knows they need some IP to shove on Game Pass

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Small Strange Bird posted:

The horny marketing for Fear Effect 2 was all on Eidos, but Kronos (the devs) didn't complain too loudly. The company head said in an interview that he just wished Eidos had followed them up with ads that said anything about the game itself. Poor sweet child.

Actually, looking more closely at those ads - the part with tiny screenshots of the game itself, that is - and promotional images does reveal some things that aren't the same as the final version. Hana has a different hairstyle and her face is more like in FE1, Rain has an alternate outfit, and there's a pic of Rain in a location that isn't in the game, a dockyard during daytime. So something definitely got trimmed.

I really like FE2, but yeesh, those adverts are now just :gonk: .

I can't say it is all on Eidos considering the, uh, crotch bug part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Kins posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe now that Activision is owned by Microsoft now, lord knows they need some IP to shove on Game Pass

And all three of those have undergone buyouts and mergers since.

Of course, Zaslav at Warner Bros. Discovery is probably willing to sell any rights they might have left for a can of soda and three paper clips at this point.

Disney is probably a harder sell though.