Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Hubbert posted:

electricity is only a small fraction of the total energy required to support a capital-intensive economy
no its not

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
0.377 is technically a small fraction :colbert:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nope. Anything above a tenth is a large fraction because fractions are definitionally smaller parts.

There's probably no connection between global thiamine collapse and the recent discovery of nanoplastic particles everywhere.

Probably

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

man, Brazil is such a good movie

It really is!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnl8oQacj8Y

This is the voice of energy
I am a giant electrical generator
I supply you with light and power
And I enable you to receive speech
Music and image through the ether
I am your servant and lord at the same time
Therefore guard me well
Me, the genius of energy

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

sorry for the charts, we should be posting disaster cell phone videos itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmMnoWNd70

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

For the past ~12 hours my phone has been telling me that it's -5f outside, but in a few hours it's going to get back up to 10f. Then a few hours go by, it's still -5 out, but it will warm up in a few. Starting to think that the models aren't doing too hot with this storm, except for the parts that they nailed like snowfall

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

MightyBigMinus posted:

sorry for the charts, we should be posting disaster cell phone videos itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmMnoWNd70

Wild that the ocean can flood so much when that's where the water is supposed to drain to.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
We're going to be right around the typical highs and lows for this time of year in CT for the next week or two and almost everyone I know is telling me how freakishly cold it is and why is it so cold.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

if climate change why one single week of normal temperatures!!!!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paradoxish posted:

We're going to be right around the typical highs and lows for this time of year in CT for the next week or two and almost everyone I know is telling me how freakishly cold it is and why is it so cold.

same here in Atlanta

people know how hosed it's been, they're just looking for any cognitive pressure valve

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Pouring one out for Pompton and Hackensack

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I love this account
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7323460280883645739

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

For the past ~12 hours my phone has been telling me that it's -5f outside, but in a few hours it's going to get back up to 10f. Then a few hours go by, it's still -5 out, but it will warm up in a few. Starting to think that the models aren't doing too hot with this storm, except for the parts that they nailed like snowfall

i've found that if it's negative temps, the forecasted high never materializes. it's really lame, because my dog's limit is -5, and i'm pretty sure the high of -1 today is not going to happen after 3 days of him not being able to go outside besides going to the bathroom after actual highs of -19, -18, and -12.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Paradoxish posted:

I'm guessing no one remarked about the couple of days it was ~60F in mid January beyond "wow it's so nice out :)"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

RIP Syndrome posted:

Pouring one out for Pompton and Hackensack

Don't do that you'll make the flooding worse

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
So are we just going to get this every single year around this time now?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

theCalamity posted:

Nah, I'm sure eventually there just won't be any arctic air.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*opening a can of Perri-air:Arctic Blast edition*

"You can really smell the polar bear"

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

Nah, I'm sure eventually there just won't be any arctic air.

The arctic will always have air. Weather patterns will always move it around and some air that used to be in arctic will blow down to mid latitudes. its just that it won't be as cold as it used to be.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

*opening a can of Perri-air:Arctic Blast edition*

"You can really smell the polar beair"

:haw:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

theCalamity posted:

"Who gets the bowling ball of cold??" will be a yearly game until Arctic Sea Ice is mostly gone year round. Then the answer will be "gently caress Europe in particular" every year until most of the Greenland ice sheet goes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

with all of these thunderstorms hammering south east Queensland the past few weeks, the constant brown outs eventually killed my fridge. food goes off quickly in 38c temps and 80% humidity..

that fridge lasted for 4 years, now i buy a new one which no doubt will die in 4 years. such incredible wastage, it’s amazing to experience

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

"Who gets the bowling ball of cold??" will be a yearly game until Arctic Sea Ice is mostly gone year round. Then the answer will be "gently caress Europe in particular" every year until most of the Greenland ice sheet goes.

Why us? :ohdear:
Is it the collapse of the Gulf Stream?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Four years is a crazy short time for a fridge to last

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Yeah, look how cold it is checkmate woke liberals

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I like to include the word "graph" in the title of my graph so people know what they're looking at

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

uguu posted:

Why us? :ohdear:
Is it the collapse of the Gulf Stream?

Two main components. One is that the remaining cold area that drives low pressure systems is Greenland once the sea ice is gone. Europe is directly downstream from this. It's kind of like being guaranteed to hit the polar vortex jackpot almost every time. The other is the resulting pattern from the gulf stream shutting down from freshwater injection around Greenland.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Fell Mood posted:

Maybe I should revisit my answer, because a difference between cspam and other goons may simply be a willingness to look at material reality, which may be a trait that is forced upon you at a young age. Wealth insulates from material reality. Did cspam grow up poorer than the average goon?

I'm a literal trust fund kid, my great grandfather pounced on a just-expired patent and then sold it as Vanish toilet cleaner to j&j

My parents gave away a lot of it to weirdos in the 60s and then in the 80s my uncles cocaine adventures blew up a bunch of joint holdings so the money is gone but that's how I paid for college. Literal patent trolling based on flushing toxic chemicals into the water so people's poo poo is more tolerable to them

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Jan 16, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol my condolences regarding the rosy optimism of either the trustors or the trustees

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm a literal trust fund kid, my great grandfather pounced on a just-expired patent and then sold it as Vanish toilet cleaner to j&j

My parents gave away a lot of it to weirdos in the 60s and then in the 80s my uncles cocaine adventures blew up a bunch of joint holdings so the money is gone but that's how I paid for college. Literal patent trolling based on flushing toxic chemicals into the water so people's poo poo is more tolerable to them

My geneology has my ancestors coming over as indentured servants in the mayflower days and being until

My grandfather supposedly worked directly with Henry Ford and got screwed over and went from living in a mansion to homeless to dead in short order. My dad grew up hoarding all his money in the stock market until he got hurt refused to get help and went ton disability after 2008.

I’m the first generation to do better than a previous generation in a long time. I dunno how much of that is true but I’ve been forbidden from being fords.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There isn't really a way to fix this without a time machine is there?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

we've already built the world's largest carbon capture plant, what more do you want?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

nope.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

This interviewer sucked.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

at least it will be fascinating

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fix? no

maybe being a little less bad for the future 2+generations? yeah

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Shifty Nipples posted:

at least it will be fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
May you live in fascinating times