Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It would be embarrassing if this Ayaneo can barely emulate more games than the $200 Odin Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

stephenthinkpad posted:

It would be embarrassing if this Ayaneo can barely emulate more games than the $200 Odin Pro.

I haven't touched a 4500u in a few years at this point, and I don't know if the drivers made any other improvements.

But, if nothing else, it runs Windows and Linux, meaning it has Wii U, PS3, OG Xbox, and Xbox 360 emulators, even if performance might limit you to 2d or very small games. And it can run PC games, and probably does fine with an Android emulator. I'm fairly confident it's still better at emulation than an Odin Pro is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

I'm fairly confident it's still better at emulation than an Odin Pro is.

The first one probably but not the Odin 2

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MarcusSA posted:

The first one probably but not the Odin 2

I mean, again, Android has no Wii U, PS3, Xbox, or Xbox 360 emulators afaik, so 0% vs whatever small% it can reasonably play. But yeah, if your core concern is retro emulation, it's not a good fit at all.

(Double checking, it actually did some respectable PS3 performance, Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden, a few others at full speed emu, but maybe not Skate or a few others? These are based on 2 year old videos so emu improvements might change things. I'd wait for modern reviews of it to really get a feel for what it can emulate, but it might not completely suck, and some things like BotW in Cemu are deceptively hard to run)

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 12, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah I'm skeptical it's gonna work but I am interested to hear the results.

Here's a more in-depth top to bottom review of the RP4. The SkullNCo Jumpgate looking to be a solid dock for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKX3Q-qqnto

Good amount of optimisation tips in it as well from the looks of it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Well that's cool. Now I want to plug it into my rp3+ and see what works.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Joey's handheld put out a video on RP4P. He said PS2 emulation is almost there but you are going to play alot of titles on 1X and 30fps instead of 60fps. I find his experience very similar to what I have on a SD870/8GB tablet, which has similar benchmark number as this Dimensity chip.

Like even with PAL version, I still get slow down on PS2 Burnout 3 and Midnight club, SotC is playable but slower. But I think most of the RPG will be playable.

----------------

I don't want to talk about RP4P all the time so here is something else random. I recently joined the Chinese version of reddit,called tieba, and found out Anbernic boss is pretty big poster on it. He goes by the name of maxzhou88. Most of his posts are about new Anbernic products parts but it's pretty funny to read him replying to Chinese redditors calling them "genius" sarcastically.

On one of the post, he posted a competitor's square screen prototype and implied how lovely the workmanship is (its not released yet, it's like the RGB30 but with a faster soc)

And then on another post, he posted a NES/FC hardware portable console he designed in year 2000, which can take an adapter and plug in a full sized NEC cart.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/808787040...BE4EF5AC9A9BD94

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 14, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm glad to know being extremely online and hilarious hackjobs were inherent parts of Anbernic before Anbernic existed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've actually been playing the megaman mobile game with my flip more than I've been doing actual emulation. The controls mapping thing is useful as hell. Is that a retroid exclusive or something built in the android OS?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's not built in to android but there are similar solutions out there like Mantis

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

stephenthinkpad posted:

Joey's handheld put out a video on RP4P. He said PS2 emulation is almost there but you are going to play alot of titles on 1X and 30fps instead of 60fps. I find his experience very similar to what I have on a SD870/8GB tablet, which has similar benchmark number as this Dimensity chip.

Like even with PAL version, I still get slow down on PS2 Burnout 3 and Midnight club, SotC is playable but slower. But I think most of the RPG will be playable.

----------------

I don't want to talk about RP4P all the time so here is something else random. I recently joined the Chinese version of reddit,called tieba, and found out Anbernic boss is pretty big poster on it. He goes by the name of maxzhou88. Most of his posts are about new Anbernic products parts but it's pretty funny to read him replying to Chinese redditors calling them "genius" sarcastically.

On one of the post, he posted a competitor's square screen prototype and implied how lovely the workmanship is (its not released yet, it's like the RGB30 but with a faster soc)

And then on another post, he posted a NES/FC hardware portable console he designed in year 2000, which can take an adapter and plug in a full sized NEC cart.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/808787040...BE4EF5AC9A9BD94

Assuming that one handheld is the Unicorn, then yeah I've been seeing people tear into that one a lot lately on other sites, though mostly for the terrible choices they've been making with the d-pad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been on the fence about the RP4P, since my 3+ works just fine currently. The games I'm playing on ps2 on it run well enough, so I am content to just stick with it until there's a 60fps option out there at a similar price point.

Hell, 60fps isn't even really a deal breaker for me, but if I'm upgrading I want it to be a noticeable upgrade.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got a Miyoo Mini Plus for christmas, and I never really thought about getting something like this before, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been slow to get around to installing Onion on it, since I've never mucked around with something like this before and I worry what could happen if I messed up, but I've transferred things over to a new micro sd card for now. I know there's a few things I'm gonna need Onion's updated emulators and filters for. I'm also gonna need to dump a bunch of roms onto it, and when I see all the lists of games, it's like looking into the matrix. There's just so much. I guess Onion's picture scraping will probably help keep track of things.

Is there a good place to buy a grip for the Miyoo? I think that'd come in useful.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I’m playing my miyoo mini tonight since we are without power. (Ice storm)
Rastan, Mario world, tmnt turtles in time. Let it snow, bitches.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I got a Miyoo Mini Plus for christmas, and I never really thought about getting something like this before, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been slow to get around to installing Onion on it, since I've never mucked around with something like this before and I worry what could happen if I messed up, but I've transferred things over to a new micro sd card for now. I know there's a few things I'm gonna need Onion's updated emulators and filters for. I'm also gonna need to dump a bunch of roms onto it, and when I see all the lists of games, it's like looking into the matrix. There's just so much. I guess Onion's picture scraping will probably help keep track of things.

Is there a good place to buy a grip for the Miyoo? I think that'd come in useful.

Look up the "Tiny Best Set GO" set on Internet Archive for a good place to start* for ROM's, as for Onion it's pretty easy to do, they even have an installer tool for it now that makes it even simpler

*it links to some other additional sets as well

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

You can’t really mess up the Miyoo Mini with Onion. Without an SD card I think it just defaults back to the standard OS, and flashing an image to an SD card is pretty easy

You should be fine

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sailor Goon posted:

You can’t really mess up the Miyoo Mini with Onion. Without an SD card I think it just defaults back to the standard OS, and flashing an image to an SD card is pretty easy

You should be fine
Having had to set up a new micro SD for my MM+ recently, this is true. You just need to remember to use guiformat to format the card because the MM+ is limited to FAT32. Don't be like my dumb rear end :downsbravo:

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I installed the Done Set (also on Internet Archive) on my Miyoo Mini and I’ve found it to be a really good selection of platforms and roms. There’s a google doc with step by step instructions for installing it and Onion OS which made it pretty easy to get up and running.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RP4 Pro shipping starts today. You're SOL if you ordered the Red or Green
https://www.goretroid.com/pages/delivery-dashboard

Still haven't got my notification yet :argh:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Here's another indepth look by Taki Udon. Burnout 3 and SotC look to be running at 100%, but he didn't test Midnight Club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jSGUdtrZY

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did the original Odin have the same supply issues as the base Odin 2 is having? Don’t know if they aren’t making many or it’s just that popular.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Did the original Odin have the same supply issues as the base Odin 2 is having? Don’t know if they aren’t making many or it’s just that popular.

The original Odin was a real saga due to it launching via Kickstarter and them not being close to a final product when the campaign started. I ordered my Pro in Feb 2021 (when the YouTubers got early units and started the hype) and got it in the June (a week before a baby consumed all my free time), but some people were waiting over a year for theirs. I think the base was the worst hit last time too but mostly because it used an entirely different chipset that they hadn’t got working before they started taking orders.

Not sure this time around whether they’re making fewer Bases (to push people to buy the pro anyway) or equal numbers but demand sells them out quicker. But in general the Odin 2 launch has been vastly smoother and quicker than the original.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Froist posted:

The original Odin was a real saga due to it launching via Kickstarter and them not being close to a final product when the campaign started. I ordered my Pro in Feb 2021 (when the YouTubers got early units and started the hype) and got it in the June (a week before a baby consumed all my free time), but some people were waiting over a year for theirs. I think the base was the worst hit last time too but mostly because it used an entirely different chipset that they hadn’t got working before they started taking orders.

Not sure this time around whether they’re making fewer Bases (to push people to buy the pro anyway) or equal numbers but demand sells them out quicker. But in general the Odin 2 launch has been vastly smoother and quicker than the original.

Yeah the Odin 2 has been by far their smoothest launch. The Loki launch was an absolute clusterfuck. Put up for pre-sale mid-2022 for delivery Q4 2022, there were something like 6 different models, with some models tied to a specific color and some models available in both. Then they announce it needed a complete re-design, no longer using basically the same shell as the Odin but something new that very obviously took its aesthetics from the Steam Deck. Along the process multiple models disappeared, with refunds being processed weekly for those who asked on discord. Shipments were always days later than they gave estimates for. Finally mid-late 2023 the units finally shipped.

To be fair, the end result was one of the nicest PC handhelds. If it had launched alongside the other 6800u handhelds, I think we'd be recommending the Loki the same way people recommend the Odin now. Ayn seems to either give a poo poo or listen to what people want from their devices.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They probably push you toward the 2 higher spec Odins because they barely make any money on the base model.

Newest Qualcomm flagship soc are very expensive, like over $200 a pop for the latest 8gen3. 8gen2 is just one year older. If you look around aliexpress, you can't find any 8gen2 phone at $300, maybe $350 for the cheapest Xiaomi with a mediocre screen and cameras.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Check out Etsy, I know there's a couple of sellers with grips and bumpers. I can't speak firsthand for quality though because I didn't pull the trigger on any, so check reviews

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Of the handheld systems that run Linux, what is the top of the line one these days?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PleasantDilemma posted:

Of the handheld systems that run Linux, what is the top of the line one these days?

Steam Deck lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

below full-on handheld computers, anything with the RK3566 i think? nothing is shipping the RK3588 yet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah so I think the Anbernic 353 line.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

or the x55 or the rgb30 or the upcoming miyoo flip, those all use the RK3566

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

otter posted:

I’m playing my miyoo mini tonight since we are without power. (Ice storm)
Rastan, Mario world, tmnt turtles in time. Let it snow, bitches.

I’d like to rescind this and request my power to be restored. Still enjoying the miyoo mini but tired of not having showers, hot food, electricity, etc.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

otter posted:

I’d like to rescind this and request my power to be restored. Still enjoying the miyoo mini but tired of not having showers, hot food, electricity, etc.

Due to the devil's bargain you made you have to beat Rastan, Mario World and Turtles in Time first. I don't make the rules.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Substandard posted:

Due to the devil's bargain you made you have to beat Rastan, Mario World and Turtles in Time first. I don't make the rules.

I’ll do it! I still have never beaten Rastan.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Devil's Game Center CX Challenge.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

otter posted:

I have the same wish as I think I’m probably in the same ice storm. I WAS enjoying playing Guardian Heroes on my Arc-D, but then the d pad started to get stuck in the down position, so now I’m just cold and bored!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, so I installed Onion, and I'm kinda...unsure.

My first concern after installation was for my save games. I guess I haven't been playing that long, so I guess I could just catch up to where I was if I really needed to do a full delete, but I'd like to keep my progress if I can. I read a whole thing with changing the file extension on sav/srm files, and it didn't seem like it worked at first, and then I did a thing where I copied over a cache file from the rom folder. That worked, but then it did a weird thing where now in the games I preserved my saves, the middle button brings up the red stock Miyoo menu instead of the switcher, so I think I screwed something up?

Would it have worked better if I copied over and installed the Onion OS onto the SD card I already had the roms on instead of copying over the roms afterwards like the Onion guide suggested?

My other thoughts on Onion so far:
  • I wonder whether it boots up slower? Might just be the fact that it goes through two separate screens.
  • I'm not sure I like the switcher menu and middle button shortcuts. It seems like a bad idea to make the middle button into both an alt button, but if you're holding it long enough, you jump out of the game? Feels weird.
    • Pushing the fast forward button to a shortcut instead of one of the unused triggers seems a lot less convenient.
    • Putting quick load and quick save on trigger shortcuts makes me worry I'll hit one of them by mistake
    • The default miyoo way of handling savestates where they're in the menu and include screenshots seems a lot more convenient?
  • Onion gets rid of the recent games list in the main menu, which doesn't seem good. That was a convenient feature.
  • I kinda like the default miyoo menu music? It's both chill and confirms that the sound is on. It doesn't seem like the default themes for onion gives that option.
  • Legacy of Goku 2 gives an error after the first area where it detects that it's not on proper hardware and stops running. I thought Onion having more updated emulators might help, but maybe I screwed it up, or maybe I just need to get a better rom?
I also haven't managed to get the saves over for the Pokemon Card Video Game over, which might be because of the way the default Miyoo kept it in a subfolder of gameboy roms, but I thought Onion wanted it in a separate folder to use a separate emulator on?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

frogbs posted:

I have the same wish as I think I’m probably in the same ice storm. I WAS enjoying playing Guardian Heroes on my Arc-D, but then the d pad started to get stuck in the down position, so now I’m just cold and bored!

Half our street has power again. But it’s like 1/4 at the top, 1/4 at the bottom and it stops right next door. So big rear end empty church: all the power. Us: nothing. The local utility (SUB) is supposed to have posted an update at 10, but nothing so far. I almost wish I had picked up Taco Bell when I was out. Almost. Lukewarm spaghettios and Rastan it is.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Okay, so I installed Onion, and I'm kinda...unsure.

My first concern after installation was for my save games. I guess I haven't been playing that long, so I guess I could just catch up to where I was if I really needed to do a full delete, but I'd like to keep my progress if I can. I read a whole thing with changing the file extension on sav/srm files, and it didn't seem like it worked at first, and then I did a thing where I copied over a cache file from the rom folder. That worked, but then it did a weird thing where now in the games I preserved my saves, the middle button brings up the red stock Miyoo menu instead of the switcher, so I think I screwed something up?

Would it have worked better if I copied over and installed the Onion OS onto the SD card I already had the roms on instead of copying over the roms afterwards like the Onion guide suggested?

My other thoughts on Onion so far:
  • I wonder whether it boots up slower? Might just be the fact that it goes through two separate screens.
  • I'm not sure I like the switcher menu and middle button shortcuts. It seems like a bad idea to make the middle button into both an alt button, but if you're holding it long enough, you jump out of the game? Feels weird.
    • Pushing the fast forward button to a shortcut instead of one of the unused triggers seems a lot less convenient.
    • Putting quick load and quick save on trigger shortcuts makes me worry I'll hit one of them by mistake
    • The default miyoo way of handling savestates where they're in the menu and include screenshots seems a lot more convenient?
  • Onion gets rid of the recent games list in the main menu, which doesn't seem good. That was a convenient feature.
  • I kinda like the default miyoo menu music? It's both chill and confirms that the sound is on. It doesn't seem like the default themes for onion gives that option.
  • Legacy of Goku 2 gives an error after the first area where it detects that it's not on proper hardware and stops running. I thought Onion having more updated emulators might help, but maybe I screwed it up, or maybe I just need to get a better rom?
I also haven't managed to get the saves over for the Pokemon Card Video Game over, which might be because of the way the default Miyoo kept it in a subfolder of gameboy roms, but I thought Onion wanted it in a separate folder to use a separate emulator on?

Onion OS by default hides a bunch of things, including the Recent Games tab, you basically have to go digging through the options and package installer to get everything properly enabled

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SlothfulCobra posted:

[*]I'm not sure I like the switcher menu and middle button shortcuts. It seems like a bad idea to make the middle button into both an alt button, but if you're holding it long enough, you jump out of the game? Feels weird.[list]
[*]Legacy of Goku 2 gives an error after the first area where it detects that it's not on proper hardware and stops running. I thought Onion having more updated emulators might help, but maybe I screwed it up, or maybe I just need to get a better rom?

Apps > Tweaks > Button Shortcuts allows you setup behavior for the Menu button as it is called. For both in-game usage and when in the main UI. I quickly disabled the single press functionality for in-game use, because you're just going to end triggering that when you were really going for Menu + different button combinations.

For GBA games the default core is mGBA, but I find that when I play a game for more than 15 minutes I often change to the gpSP core when I notice slowdown or jittery audio. You can select a core when pressing Y over a game in your romlist. I imagine you can disable mGBA and enable gpSP in the Package Manager to use it by default for all GBA games, but I'd try more of them first before you do something like that.

Apps > Tweaks > Appearance allows you to enable the Recent Games option.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 16, 2024

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Also you don’t really need to use the recents menu from the stock OS menus, Onion has its own. If you’re in a game you can just hit the menu button to go to the quick switcher, then left and right goes through your recent games including a screenshot of the save state. Then you can load straight back into that state near-instantly. And you can set it to auto-boot into your last played game.

It still blows my mind how my MM is the tiniest handheld I have and yet the quickest to switch between games this way, you can go from in-game in a NES game to in-game in PSX in like a second, ADHD style.

I can see there might be some friction if you got too used to how the stock OS worked and this is different, but honestly Onion is one of the best CFWs for any of these devices. And really unlike most other CFWs it’s only a layer of customisation on top of stock, everything should still be accessible with the right options toggled if you prefer it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Froist posted:

Also you don’t really need to use the recents menu from the stock OS menus, Onion has its own. If you’re in a game you can just hit the menu button to go to the quick switcher, then left and right goes through your recent games including a screenshot of the save state. Then you can load straight back into that state near-instantly. And you can set it to auto-boot into your last played game.

It still blows my mind how my MM is the tiniest handheld I have and yet the quickest to switch between games this way, you can go from in-game in a NES game to in-game in PSX in like a second, ADHD style.

I can see there might be some friction if you got too used to how the stock OS worked and this is different, but honestly Onion is one of the best CFWs for any of these devices. And really unlike most other CFWs it’s only a layer of customisation on top of stock, everything should still be accessible with the right options toggled if you prefer it that way.

Took me a couple days to get used to Onion.....and now I absolutely love it. The shortcuts for save/load and fast forward make playing certain games SO much more enjoyable. I do have the menu trigger too fast every once in a while when I'm trying to do something else....but it's not a big deal as Onion saves your exact spot when you exit a game.

Sidenote.......the Dolphin emulator on my RG505 hasn't crashed in a while. Happened a few times when I first got the system.....but haven't had it happen again in a while. So cool to have good gamecube emulation in a package like this.