Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is there any expectation that ray tracing performance will improve for RDNA3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you mean RDNA4 (next-gen radeon), then there's very little that's been said about it. Pretty much every expectation and rumor/"leak" about RDNA3 turned out to be wrong (aside from the SkyJuice specs leak), so I don't intend on trusting anything anyone says about RDNA4 anyway. Both Sony and Microsoft (and all of their devs) are begging AMD for better RT support though, so I have to imagine that they'll put more effort into that at some point.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you mean RDNA4 (next-gen radeon), then there's very little that's been said about it. Pretty much every expectation and rumor/"leak" about RDNA3 turned out to be wrong (aside from the SkyJuice specs leak), so I don't intend on trusting anything anyone says about RDNA4 anyway. Both Sony and Microsoft (and all of their devs) are begging AMD for better RT support though, so I have to imagine that they'll put more effort into that at some point.

I mean RDNA3. I remember someone saying something a while ago that made it seem like there was potential for better RT performance through drivers or something that AMD hadn’t been able to figure out.

I don’t know if I misunderstood or if it was just not true. Bought an AMD gpu thinking RT wasn’t important to me but now that I’ve been using it in CP2077, I really like it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that might have been me

AMD currently implements a relatively large chunk of the raytracing stack in software, and anything that's software could potentially see improvements from driver updates, but not much has happened there whether due to lack of resources or just because they already squeezed out everything they could early on

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dkj posted:

I mean RDNA3. I remember someone saying something a while ago that made it seem like there was potential for better RT performance through drivers or something that AMD hadn’t been able to figure out.

I don’t know if I misunderstood or if it was just not true. Bought an AMD gpu thinking RT wasn’t important to me but now that I’ve been using it in CP2077, I really like it.

Oh, that's definitely not happening. There was some talk from the leakers who were dead wrong about RDNA3's performance that maybe there's a driver-level issue that can be ironed out holding back performance, but that's been pretty much debunked. The RDNA3 GPUs are staying as they are.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

repiv posted:

that might have been me

AMD currently implements a relatively large chunk of the raytracing stack in software, and anything that's software could potentially see improvements from driver updates, but not much has happened there whether due to lack of resources or just because they already squeezed out everything they could early on

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh, that's definitely not happening. There was some talk from the leakers who were dead wrong about RDNA3's performance that maybe there's a driver-level issue that can be ironed out holding back performance, but that's been pretty much debunked. The RDNA3 GPUs are staying as they are.

Disappointing, but thank you

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mods, please change thread title to AMD: Disappointing, but thank you.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
AMD needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat basically. I'm frankly astonished they haven't really answered 3 entire generations of RTX GPUs. AMD really should have done something properly by now. Their currently raytracing performance is truly abysmal and lacking in any real seriousness or effort.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you have an RDNA3 card and don't want it, there's probably a large market of people who do, so it's not the worst outcome in the world if you want to trade up.

I've been telling people that RT isn't there yet for five years, and I'll have no need for another three the way things are going. We are still at the point where it primarily appears in a few extremely high budget games (Remedy, CDPR) and some niche games from overseas that punch above their weight for production (Bright Memory Infinite a few years ago, Black Myth Wukong this year.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

AMD needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat basically. I'm frankly astonished they haven't really answered 3 entire generations of RTX GPUs. AMD really should have done something properly by now. Their currently raytracing performance is truly abysmal and lacking in any real seriousness or effort.

I'm really curious to see what they're going to do next console generation. Microsoft and Sony are already chomping at the bit to advertise RT with this gen, even if it's kind of meh compared to a good PC, and it's just the kind of buzz word that the public at large will jump at regardless of how much tech nerds might insist that more FPS with raster is better.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its personal preference based on the games you play and the like, but for me, RT performance is absolutely relevant to my GPU purchasing decisions already and has been for a while

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Considering the power usage and cost the AMD APUs in consoles have been pretty solid! I would guess next generation will be that much better, but it doesn't need to be hugely groundbreaking.

I think AMD is basically happy just drafting behind NVidia in GPU because it's not the focus on the company. Don't make any big bets and you won't lose any big bets. Cash in on the high margins and just sorta hang around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are also pretty much the only game in town for the handheld PC market which isn’t huge it’s still moving millions of units.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

its personal preference based on the games you play and the like, but for me, RT performance is absolutely relevant to my GPU purchasing decisions already and has been for a while

WoW. And FF14 which has some of the worst AA and SSAO you've ever seen. I think the most technically demanding game I hope to play within the next year is FF16, and that makes the PS5 sputter and cough without using any RT. It might be copium for owning the worst value card in the entire 30x0 generation (3070ti) but Fortnite is the only place where I said "huh nice shadow" and then turned it off because I don't buy high framerate monitors to struggle to keep 60.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 15, 2024

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Running Furmark for 15 minutes is probably fine to test a GPU, right? No problems detected in device, runs great

Not fully, I think? My GPU has some kind of VRAM overheating issue that shows up in a select few games but not in Furmark.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Furmark will eventually tell you if your GPU cooling is good enough and possibly if your PSU supplies enough power, but if you want to test your GPU/system stability you need something more realistic with variable loads (I think Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk might do these days?), and for longer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

WoW. And FF14 which has some of the worst AA and SSAO you've ever seen. I think the most technically demanding game I hope to play within the next year is FF16, and that makes the PS5 sputter and cough without using any RT. It might be copium for owning the worst value card in the entire 30x0 generation (3070ti) but Fortnite is the only place where I said "huh nice shadow" and then turned it off because I don't buy high framerate monitors to struggle to keep 60.

FF14 is my most played PC game by a massive margin, and as you said it barely knows what AA and SSAO are. Interested to see what the graphics update does, but I'm not expecting truly massive changes to the way the game looks, or at least the necessary hardware to run it. FF16 is a different story, and I'll be interested to see how it runs on my computer. If my 7900 XTX has trouble with it I'll be both impressed and incredibly pissed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

They are also pretty much the only game in town for the handheld PC market which isn’t huge it’s still moving millions of units.

There's a bunch of the Aya and other brand ones using Intel iGPUs, and have been for a while.

Edit: none of these have more than a tiny fraction of how many handheld gaming machines Nvidia sells though, clearly.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Rumor is the PS5 Pro will have dedicated hardware for RT and Upscaling like Nvidia / Intel has for what it's worth. Of course the rumor could be bullshit.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MarcusSA posted:

Not true, MSI is dropping their own handheld with Arc integrated graphics soon that seems to perform similarly to the 780M

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Flowing Thot posted:

Rumor is the PS5 Pro will have dedicated hardware for RT and Upscaling like Nvidia / Intel has for what it's worth. Of course the rumor could be bullshit.

My uncle who works at Nintendo told me this is true.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

WoW. And FF14

yeah, ive never played more than 15 minutes of wow or a final fantasy game. also i generally dont play multiplayer games that arent ARPGs. but i put 150+ hours into cyberpunk and played some amount of 20+ other games with some level of RT in the last few years (Control, SoTR, Forza Horizon 5, BF5, Requiem Plague Tale, Mechwarrior 5, CoD, Dead Space, DOOM Eternal, F1, Jedi Survivor, RE Remakes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hitman, Halo... uh... others im forgetting im sure)

so yeah, likely depends on the games you play, but i value RT performance fairly heavily

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 15, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Branch Nvidian posted:

My uncle who works at Nintendo told me this is true.

Why would your Nintendo uncle know about Playstation I think you might be unserious about this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of uncles at nintendo lol at gameshark "leaking" the switch 2 release window and being taken seriously

their whole schtick is making unlicensed products why the hell would they have any insider knowledge

also they are rebranding to "AI shark" because of course they are

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm honestly amazed that gameshark even still exists. Like, who have they been marketing and selling stuff to since the N64 went out of production?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

Why would your Nintendo uncle know about Playstation I think you might be unserious about this.

It’s called corporate espionage look if up

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm honestly amazed that gameshark even still exists. Like, who have they been marketing and selling stuff to since the N64 went out of production?

i don't think they have existed for a while, console security got too good for them to meaningfully make unlicensed products so someone has just held onto the brand as is about to relaunch it as... *vague AI gestures*

they could jump on the XIM bandwagon i suppose, that's the closest thing to a cheat device you can make for modern consoles

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 15, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

change my name posted:

Not true, MSI is dropping their own handheld with Arc integrated graphics soon that seems to perform similarly to the 780M

Well that’s why I said pretty much!

Also lol at the intel iGPU though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

speaking of uncles at nintendo lol at gameshark "leaking" the switch 2 release window and being taken seriously

their whole schtick is making unlicensed products why the hell would they have any insider knowledge

That was a weird case of internet telephone, where some dumb info being reported starts to spread, which people seemingly take to imply credibility and newsworthiness, which in turn leads to even more reposts.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

repiv posted:

AMD currently implements a relatively large chunk of the raytracing stack in software, and anything that's software could potentially see improvements from driver updates
I believe the BHV traversal logic is implemented as a shader program with the ray/bounding box and ray/triangle instructions being accelerated with hardware. It's conceivable that a more efficient algorithm or some scheduling shenanigans could improve performance but if we haven't seen anything yet, I kinda doubt we will now. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is done to tackle performance in RDNA4. They could try to increase SIMD by making the ray/bb and ray/tri instructions wider, spin more parts of the traversal algorithm off to dedicated instructions, or take NVidia's approach and pare down a CU to just what's needed to support the traversal algorithm and intersection instructions to make them fully independent functional units.

I imagine they're doing something, given Sony and Microsoft's rumored demands for more RT in the next consoles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Given there's multiple reports out saying Microsoft is planning to release more of their games on PS5, I wouldn't hold my breath for a next gen Xbox console.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the "oddest" rumor about xbox is them switching to arm for their next console but who knows :shrug:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm not so sure anymore, have you looked at the raytracing games lately?
It's still all about Cyberpunk, Control and Metro from 2019/20. Oh and Minecraft. Does it work ok on the Forza games?
Maybe that Epic exclusive walking sim sequel? Real world changing stuff :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sauer kraut posted:

Does it work ok on the Forza games?

Its reflections only in Forza and Forza 8 still runs like poo poo on PC. But it also seems to have bombed so hard it left a crater.

Also don't forget that Avatar game that Ubisoft said was designed to be a graphical benchmark for years to come, ignoring the part where to be a relevant benchmark people need to give a poo poo about the game.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

njsykora posted:

Its reflections only in Forza and Forza 8 still runs like poo poo on PC. But it also seems to have bombed so hard it left a crater.

Also don't forget that Avatar game that Ubisoft said was designed to be a graphical benchmark for years to come, ignoring the part where to be a relevant benchmark people need to give a poo poo about the game.

This discussion is forgetting about Immortals of Aveum, the Unreal Engine 5-based game that used every possible feature, to such a degree that on current generation consoles it renders at sub-480p, specifically 768x436.

It's also 60fps only, rather than aiming for 30fps at 720p.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

yeah, ive never played more than 15 minutes of wow or a final fantasy game. also i generally dont play multiplayer games that arent ARPGs. but i put 150+ hours into cyberpunk and played some amount of 20+ other games with some level of RT in the last few years (Control, SoTR, Forza Horizon 5, BF5, Requiem Plague Tale, Mechwarrior 5, CoD, Dead Space, DOOM Eternal, F1, Jedi Survivor, RE Remakes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hitman, Halo... uh... others im forgetting im sure)

so yeah, likely depends on the games you play, but i value RT performance fairly heavily

I feel like a big chunk of these are probably mostly played by people on console, so it's absolutely a case of the console space needing to improve it's RT, but on the desktop, it's probably still of insignificant demand.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Twerk from Home posted:

This discussion is forgetting about Immortals of Aveum, the Unreal Engine 5-based game that used every possible feature, to such a degree that on current generation consoles it renders at sub-480p, specifically 768x436.

It's also 60fps only, rather than aiming for 30fps at 720p.

Don't worry, next generation AMD will have good AI hardware for up scaling, so games can run at sub-240p native.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Canned Sunshine posted:

I feel like a big chunk of these are probably mostly played by people on console, so it's absolutely a case of the console space needing to improve it's RT, but on the desktop, it's probably still of insignificant demand.
i def dont think there is "insignificant demand" for RT on PC

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

i def dont think there is "insignificant demand" for RT on PC

I meant in a lot of the games you listed

Edit: Like, the likes of Forza, Halo, etc., I'd be shocked if the PC playerbase was close to the console side, so while I don't doubt that most PC players want RT, I think you need to sell it/get it going on the console side to actually get developers to implement it properly.

Otherwise, you get lovely implementations like WoW's, lol

Edit 2: And I think HDR is a much, much bigger "overall benefit" to a game that RT, so if developers are time/cash-constrained, they should prioritize HDR by far.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
5090: Playing assetto corsa on settings that are so realistic that I die from the exhaust fumes collecting in my room as I drive.