Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lil ronny isn’t dropping out till late in the game because of his fragile ego, it’s gonna be tup.

The current state of things is that every candidate has their own billionaire or group of billionaires who funds them. So regardless of any results, the only thing that can make them drop out is either shame or their sugar daddy pulling the plug. Since Meatball doesn't have any shame in his programing, he's in it until the people behind U-Line shipping and packing pull the plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Trump is obv going to win, but I think the only case going forward where he might have the slightest challenge is if he does sub 45 today and Haley manages to somehow over perform and hit better than 25. Meatball Rob then drops before NH and she squeezes out a victory there. I think if the aura of inevitable trump can be pierced she might have an actual shot since I think a fair amount of Trumps support is just resigned to him winning. She would still be a heavy underdog though.

I think Haley is being massively overrepresented. She is still 13 points behind Trump in NH and she is going to loose hard to him in SC, the state where she was Governor. After that, why would you bother backing a candidate that can't even carry her on state.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nikki will continue to top Ron from coast to coast until he can't take anymore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gyges posted:

The current state of things is that every candidate has their own billionaire or group of billionaires who funds them. So regardless of any results, the only thing that can make them drop out is either shame or their sugar daddy pulling the plug. Since Meatball doesn't have any shame in his programing, he's in it until the people behind U-Line shipping and packing pull the plug.

this. i still think he will go as long as possible because the second he stops, he has to go back home and realize that he hosed up the state bad enough that a bunch of GOP are grumbling and the chuds view him as a traitor.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mappo posted:

I think Haley is being massively overrepresented. She is still 13 points behind Trump in NH and she is going to loose hard to him in SC, the state where she was Governor. After that, why would you bother backing a candidate that can't even carry her on state.

The theory is that if she picks up Christie’s 9% in NH then it’s a lot closer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mappo posted:

How long ago was Haley governor? It feels like a long time

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Mappo posted:

I don’t think she’s going to win. I’d give her maybe a 5% - 10% shot? Better than Desantis who doesn’t even have a fantasy path going forward

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

I don’t think she’s going to win. I’d give her maybe a 5% - 10% shot? Better than Desantis who doesn’t even have a fantasy path going forward

Incidentally her chances would be a lot better if not for DeSantis getting more or less anointed Trump's sole challenger ahead of the primary. Even if his campaign has been a disaster he'll still eat up a lot of Not Trump votes by default until he drops out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mappo posted:

Voters don't care about carrying your own state. They care if you win the last primary and if you have some sort of actual path to victory. Winning you own state is something that mattered in the old days when a wide array of rich people were backing candidates. Now it's all sugar daddy billionaires and common man rubes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If every not-Trump except Haley dropped out and consolidated behind her, maybe she'd have a chance. But I doubt this will happen before it's too late, DeSantis is firmly in sunk cost fallacy mode.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How long ago was Haley governor? It feels like a long time

In 2011 and she stepped down in 2017 to be Trump's Ambassador to the UN. During her time as Governor she did absolutely nothing, besides removing the confederate flag from the capital grounds and thats not going to help her in the primary. No one in the state is going to vote for her, especially when they could vote for Trump.

At least DeSantis has some political wins behind him and a agenda, as horrible as those are. Nikki Haley is an empty suit with nothing to back her up. She wouldn't have even been Governor if it was for Sarah Palin endorsing her in a field of extremely corrupt and unlikeable candidates.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

CNN just shared some entrance poll results from the Iowa caucuses:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Assuming that anyone who considers themselves MAGA would almost certainly vote for Trump, 53% seems reasonable. That's probably the big one, whether or not he can top 50%.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Assuming that anyone who considers themselves MAGA would almost certainly vote for Trump, 53% seems reasonable. That's probably the big one, whether or not he can top 50%.

I think pretty much every Vivek voter would describe themselves that way, but it probably is still enough for Trump to get 50%.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Trump is gonna hit 60% and cause both Nikki and Rob to drop out overnight lol

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Now that the caucus has officially started, CNN has posted the full entrance poll results:

https://www.cnn.com/election/2024/primaries-and-caucuses/exit-polls/iowa/republican-caucus/0

Edit:

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think pretty much every Vivek voter would describe themselves that way, but it probably is still enough for Trump to get 50%.

Here's the breakdown for how these people voted according to the entrance poll, by the way:

B B fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 16, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

rob wont drop out. if he drops out then he will have to go back to florida and hope the party doesnt knife him because trump demands it OR because he pissed away the money.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

:lol: Hutchinson not even registering

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

B B posted:

Here's the breakdown for how these people voted according to the entrance poll, by the way:

I was way off but I guess it makes sense since both DeSantis and Ramaswamy present themselves as off-brand Trump

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's going to be hilarious when Ron is forced back to FL and he falls back in line behind Trump for the general election, only to keep getting treated like poo poo by him.

Impressive how much he's managed to humiliate himself in such a small amount of time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Queering Wheel posted:

:lol: Hutchinson not even registering

No, that is a negative percent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be fair, it only applies to the pêople who consider themselves MAGA, but I doubt the overall percentage is much higher

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Pudding Fingers and Lost Cause won't drop out until their billionaire backers stop writing checks. They're both in it for the Trump stops running Powerball.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

To the shock of no one:

Here's NYTimes's current estimate of the final vote:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1747070940444319982

:laffo:

B B fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 16, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yup. Extremely preliminary results from the Iowa GOP site, but the final percentages will probably be similar.

Only thing up in the air is Haley vs. DeSantis.

e: Asa Hutchinson 1 vote lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gyges posted:

Pudding Fingers and Lost Cause won't drop out until their billionaire backers stop writing checks. They're both in it for the Trump stops running Powerball.

I assume you mean the Trump's heart stops beating Powerball.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those NYTimes percentages with +/- 10% errors sure are something.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

smackfu posted:

Those NYTimes percentages with +/- 10% errors sure are something.

It means Asa Hutchinson may actually have -9% of the vote, which seems more likely

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Caros posted:

I assume you mean the Trump's heart stops beating Powerball.

Fleeing the country, coma, and sudden brain infraction with a side effect of making him realize he's a piece of poo poo and feels the need to atone, are also technically above zero odds.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The only race I care about now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bigger chunk of results now in:

Hutchinson at 0.1%, much better than the projected -9%, and also massively outperforming Christie

Caros
May 14, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Bigger chunk of results now in:

Hutchinson at 0.1%, much better than the projected -9%, and also massively outperforming Christie

Vivek Vivek, it rhymes with 7.8‰, and soon to drop for a VP nod he probably won't get.

Catchy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Honestly surprised that DeSantis and Haley are doing so well and Trump is currently being held to just 51%.

I wonder if the very low turnout and sense of inevitability about Trump had an impact.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Low enthusiasm (sounds familiar since 2020/2022), trouble winning with anyone remotely moderate (sounds familiar since 2020/2022)

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I thought Trump would be scoring better than this. Yes, no individual competitor is anywhere near his vote, but what really matters is how many people are “not Trump/wouldn’t show up to vote for Trump in the general election”.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
edit: whoops, wrong thread! my bad.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 16, 2024

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Iowa claims the first primary casualty. Vivek's out.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vivek-ramaswamy-ends-2024-campaign-after-disappointing-iowa/story?id=106400273

quote:

Vivek Ramaswamy ends 2024 campaign after disappointing in Iowa

Vivek Ramaswamy is ending his 2024 presidential campaign on Monday night after a disappointing result in Iowa's Republican caucuses despite spending months in the state trying to woo voters, a spokeswoman confirmed to ABC News.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Artificial Kid posted:

I thought Trump would be scoring better than this. Yes, no individual competitor is anywhere near his vote, but what really matters is how many people are “not Trump/wouldn’t show up to vote for Trump in the general election”.

It's going to be pretty clear pretty fast that there isn't much enthusiasm right now for the GOP race and they aren't going to be making money off this like they desperately need to be- since they are at about 20% of their fundraising at the same time in 2020.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

He endorsed Donald Trump as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The most boring of outcomes. Trump ahead but not so ahead that it gives us any new insights. De Santis second which will keep him in the race. Haley third but close enough to second that she’ll try to keep her momentum dreams alive.