Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Busters posted:

Also: it seems like a scam, but most americano's are just espresso and mostly water. That's how they are... 1:3 or 1:4 sometimes. Not that I drink them.

No joke, Americanos were an effort to accommodate American soldiers occupying Italy, who wanted coffee and didn’t always care for espressos. The ratio of coffee to water I use is about 1:2, but 1:3 is pretty common, and some people go for 1:4 for whatever reason. I like coffee, people have it lots of ways, nobody has it Nathen’s way. God drat, that was hilarious to read yesterday.

Based on the bacteria content of keeping the orange sauce on hand for weeks to a month at a time I’m a little surprised some didn’t manage to survive, put on a suit, and run as a conservative in a local election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So where is the orange sauce that he spent a year working on with an expert chef or whatever????

Also adding a bit of carrots to tomato sauce is totally valid; canned tomatoes lose their sweetness so you need to add it back somehow. Cheap-rear end sauces just use sugar.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

j.peeba posted:

I really like the salad dressing. Most of the recipes are generously restaurant sized but this one is definitely not. Here's some highlights from its ingredients...
2 grams garlic. About 1/3rd of a clove. Ok.
5 grams of shallots? That's like 1/10th of a shallot.
1 gram plum tomato? What?? How?
1 gram bell pepper finely chopped what the hell? A gram is like one or even half a piece after chopping a bell pepper finely.

You need a weed scale to pull off this BS.

It's a single cat-sized serving, very meta

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
As a guy who regularly makes a variety of BBQ sauces, that recipe passes me off.

The ingredients list has no mother sauce. Which is allowable, but not great. But then I saw it says at the very end "add secret sauce and mix well." Okay so there is a mother sauce. But you don't just mix it, you heat until simmering. That's like saucemaking 1: heat all the stuff together to ensure an even melange of flavor.

It's as if he tried the basic bbq sauce, said "this tastes like poo poo," added the secret sauce and said "okay this tastes like something normal," and called it a day.

Sauces are by far the easiest part of cooking, just taste it, add poo poo, and heat it to a low boil, and repeat This guy has never cooked a single thing in his entire life.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

david_a posted:

So where is the orange sauce that he spent a year working on with an expert chef or whatever????

Also adding a bit of carrots to tomato sauce is totally valid; canned tomatoes lose their sweetness so you need to add it back somehow. Cheap-rear end sauces just use sugar.
It's the first recipe posted. The "secret sauce" is Tapenade with some herbs and vegetables added.

Drunk Nerds posted:

The ingredients list has no mother sauce. Which is allowable, but not great. But then I saw it says at the very end "add secret sauce and mix well." Okay so there is a mother sauce. But you don't just mix it, you heat until simmering. That's like saucemaking 1: heat all the stuff together to ensure an even melange
Your telling me Balsamic vinegar isn't a mother sauce?

Busters fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Busters posted:

It's the first recipe posted. The "secret sauce" is Tapenade with some herbs and vegetables added.

Your telling me Balsamic vinegar isn't a mother sauce?

Honestly, I have no idea. I just wanted to get in on the poo poo-piling by pretending I know things

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im gonna try to make the secret sauce later in the week but loving how half the ingrediants are only listed in the description lol

e: im also gonna make a garfuccino to go with it

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 15, 2024

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Busters posted:

now be fair, there's also a totally indeterminate amount of san marzano canned tomato puree involved - this poo poo could just be a basic red sauce with some olive mush up in it, or it could be a chunky onion and tapenade party with a little tomato sauce to thin it out

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i expected these recipes to be more like a domino's or an applebee's where everything is full of xanthan gum and calcium chloride and food dyes that chemically castrate you.

they are more like notes than full recipes (how do i shape my crust into a grotesque parody of garfield's face?) but otherwise they seem pretty normal. besides, of course, an espresso drink with both milk and orange juice. that is truly revolting

MSPain fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 15, 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Blue Moonlight posted:

How familiar was your wife with Nathen Mazri and the GarfieldEATS saga before you convinced her to do this?

I’m just imagining you saying “Hey, some rando online bought the recipes of a failed Garfield restaurant from a serial fabulist, can you make this dubious lasagna for me?” and I can’t imagine it having worked out. Maybe you just have The Best Wife?

I've told her about Nathen before and shown her particularly funny posts from this thread so she's at least aware of who he is and what he does.

Me: "Hey hon, if I give you a lasagna recipe, would you be willing to make it for us?"
Her: "Is it from that Garfield weirdo?"
Me: "Possibly"
Her: "Ok if you get me all the ingredients, I'll make it but you're going to eat it no matter what"

...which is fine. I'm sure I've had worse and with two teenagers in the house, it will 100% be eaten even if it's terrible.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

MSPain posted:

they are more like notes than full recipes

It’s not unfinished it’s raw and unedited!

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

"fanvestor"

doesn't really work, does it? god I'm so fuckin sick of these portmanteaus

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Frank Frank posted:

I've told her about Nathen before and shown her particularly funny posts from this thread so she's at least aware of who he is and what he does.

Me: "Hey hon, if I give you a lasagna recipe, would you be willing to make it for us?"
Her: "Is it from that Garfield weirdo?"
Me: "Possibly"
Her: "Ok if you get me all the ingredients, I'll make it but you're going to eat it no matter what"

...which is fine. I'm sure I've had worse and with two teenagers in the house, it will 100% be eaten even if it's terrible.

First of all, I love your relationship and I hope I find someone who gets me well enough to guess right on the first try.

Anyway, I have an idea of why a lot of the recipes are formatted so weirdly and don't have instructions. There's a computer program that will calculate things like the total cost of each recipe, portions per recipe, cost per portion, average sales of each item, etc. I think Nathen just imported the text of the recipes from the program into Excel, and didn't notice or care that the "recipes" are just lists of ingredients.

If I remember right, one function is to calculate the recipe's ingredients per portion. E.g: your recipe makes sixty portions, and it'll tell you how much you need to make a single portion. I think that's why the recipe for salad dressing is so, well, stupid. It's like 1/32 of the actual recipe.

This is just a guess. I only used that computer program during a semester of school for my baking certificate, over a decade ago. It's kind of like bespoke Excel, but more, and extremely useful. So it makes sense that Nathen didn't use it correctly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MSPain posted:

they are more like notes than full recipes (how do i shape my crust into a grotesque parody of garfield's face?) but otherwise they seem pretty normal. besides, of course, an espresso drink with both milk and orange juice. that is truly revolting
One of my favorite random coffee bar drinks was the Caffe Generra from Uptown Espresso in Seattle, which as I recall was just a mocha with orange zest in it. But yeah that works because orange zest is flavorful as hell and, you know, is not juice, which is a very different vibe to add to your milk. Orange Julius notwithstanding

JAnon posted:

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays; #relatable #day #cat #orange

Or perhaps you no longer supportmanteaus

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JAnon posted:

"fanvestor"

The worst thing about that is that I'm pretty sure fanvestor predates Nathen

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Those recipes are hysterical. Also remember that he was probably buying high-priced organic everything ingredients then leaving them in a refrigerated tub for weeks on end.

I'm not much of a cook but I know it's just as easy to ruin a dish made of high quality ingredients as it is the cheapest crap from the discount bin at Walmart.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Busters posted:

My point is how the hell does that list of ingredients make an orange sauce? From reading the recipes this is what goes into it:

* Tomato puree
* White onions
* Garlic
* Shallots
* Basil
* Truffle oil
* Green olives
* Caper seeds
* Olive oil
* Minced garlic

This nebulous step claims it becomes orange: “Turn off the heat and give it a nice blender to get the Garfield Orange color for the final aroma.”

How!? How does that turn orange? Is “Garfield Orange” a separate ingredient he didn’t include anywhere?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

to be fair it says the garfield orange for the final aroma! clearly that's err different from being orange

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These recipes were developed on a rusty blender to get that official Garfield-brand orange

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Crazy to think that in a parallel universe a bunch of cats are reading a thread about how Garfield is the world’s youngest Nathen Mazri licensee

Nathiccino: 60 ml espresso, 30 mg beard stubble, 300 ml Astroglide

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
thank you op, this recipe book is the kind of classic something awful content we all yearn for

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

david_a posted:

My point is how the hell does that list of ingredients make an orange sauce? From reading the recipes this is what goes into it:

* Tomato puree
* White onions
* Garlic
* Shallots
* Basil
* Truffle oil
* Green olives
* Caper seeds
* Olive oil
* Minced garlic

This nebulous step claims it becomes orange: “Turn off the heat and give it a nice blender to get the Garfield Orange color for the final aroma.”

How!? How does that turn orange? Is “Garfield Orange” a separate ingredient he didn’t include anywhere?

Maybe the white onions + garlic mixed with the tomato makes it orange?? I honestly don't know, the tapenade being mostly olives means it'll be a dark greenish color, so mixing it with tomato puree would make for like...a muddy brown?? No clue how it turns orange.

Guess the only way to know is to make it to be sure!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

it feels like nathen heard the word tapenade and then just incorporated it

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

david_a posted:

* Tomato puree
* White onions
* Garlic
* Shallots
* Basil
* Truffle oil
* Green olives
* Caper seeds
* Olive oil
* Minced garlic

Now that I think about it, yeah. Isn't tapenade dark green, black or brown?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Busters posted:

Now that I think about it, yeah. Isn't tapenade dark green, black or brown?

tapenade is olive puree, yes

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’d be completely ready to believe he did a bump and wrote these things down in no relation to what those premade products ended up being

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
As somebody that's worked in BOH before the actual recipes document shared looks like whatever was printed out and taped to the kitchen wall for the poor cooks to follow.

The nonsensical measurements included.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Big City Drinkin posted:

The Jim Davis: a pizza named after an elderly cartoonist that has just pepperoni and pineapple??

Based on my knowledge of the general spirit of the Garfield cartoons he created (I was a Garfield fan for years as a young adult, can take it or leave it now), Davis might well be described as a salty but sweet old man.

Garfield is salty, Jon Arbuckle is sweet. Also the gal whose cup of dog cum Jon drank in that one strip was sweet. I think about her often. :biglips:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

lol you gave Nathen money

I for one appreciate your service, CodfishCartographer, or we would have missed out on multiple lols. (And I'm loving glad I didn't pay 50 bucks for one myself! Ten bucks maybe, tops, I'd be prepared to pay.) If you create a crowdfunding page to try and recompense your GarfRECIPES "book" cost, I'd chip in a buck o' three for sure.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

david_a posted:

* Tomato puree
* White onions
* Garlic
* Shallots
* Basil
* Truffle oil
* Green olives
* Caper seeds
* Olive oil
* Minced garlic

From vague memories of making jollof rice, blended and sautéed onions and tomatoes can end up decently orange. Adding the olives certainly won't help, though.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

peanut posted:

Orange juice and espresso :barf:

And honey and milk[!!!] in the Orange Bee Garficcno [sic].

I bet that curdled a treat. It must have looked a fair bit like the vomit I reckon I'd quickly feel like expelling after drinking one.

The reviews of people dissing the food in almost stark disbelief in videos and a few written articles were, it seems, all too correct.

I wonder who Nathen tested these grand concoctions on before selling them in his doomed store.

I bet he thinks he'd be franchising GarfieldEATS all over the world by now if he still had a Garfield license.

:lol: I love all this poo poo, he never stops his eccentric behaviours and expressing his many strange and dodgy beliefs for more than a few weeks tops. He literally can't help himself. Never stop, Nathen!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

boof posted:

If they're Office documents, it may be worth checking if they also have any of the edit history accidentally included in them for any hidden nuggets of gold that Nathen may have decided to delete.

dr_rat posted:

Oh check the metadate! Seem to recall the FBI caught a serial killer once through the meta data in a word document they sent.

I decided to follow-up on this, and unfortunately wasn't able to uncover much. The main recipe book is a pdf - one that was obviously lazily converted from a docx, as docx is still in the filename lmao. Unfortunately just deleting the ".pdf" from the end doesn't work. So that just leaves us with the Garficcino recipe excel sheet, and alas its history is unavailable. However, I was able to uncover that it was made in 2017 by someone named "Armiel" which I don't think is a name we've ever heard before.

Considering it was made in 2017, I'm guessing this is indeed the original file used for the garficcino recipes in the restaurant / mobile delivery service in Dubai, likely starting as a vague idea list and then shifting over time to include ingredients.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Zefiel posted:

Pretty spicy coming from the guy who tried to buy a frozen lasagna despite being in a whole other country :colbert:

Frank Frank posted:

I’m still mad that he refused to ship it

I read a good article during the GarfEATS/ScoobyEATS mail order saga era where the "frozen" lasagna the Canadian reviewer ordered arrived with all the dry ice already melted and evaporated away. The idiot still ate all the Garfsagna, even though it was dripping fluid and had a funny smell or something (I think they must have watched way too much Jackass as a kid). The meal was not rated highly. (Sorry but that's all the details I remember, and stupidly I didn't save the article or url - though the latter may or may not have appeared in one of my posts in a Nathen thread here.)

Sending frozen foods in cold packs, one would think, is only consistently safe when whatever courier is used is super reliable, and no warehouses or vans/truck rears / plane cargo holds involved are super hot (a big ask). In no way can I imagine Nathen organising all that reliably for every shipment.

So you narrowly avoided a week of diarrhea, projectile vomiting, and possible death by E. coli poisoning. Phew!

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 16, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The guy who received a box of sand instead of lasagna was a coward for not eating it and reviewing it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Busters posted:

I'm sure a reasonable restaurant could do prep for a week, but part of that would be having instructions about how many portions to split up per service or day. We need some experts in this thread. Is there a pro-chef thread in goons with spoons we can call in?
I would not keep anything actually prepared in a walk-in for 20 days unless it was like literally made out of salt or sugar-to-the-point-of-sterility. Making a fat batch of tomato sauce on Thursday or early Friday to cover the weekend? Probably doable.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm really really surprised that's the recipe for the secret sauce bc when I had the... Sigh... Garfgherita with secret sauce, I'd have sworn the sauce was carrot baby food

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm really really surprised that's the recipe for the secret sauce bc when I had the... Sigh... Garfgherita with secret sauce, I'd have sworn the sauce was carrot baby food

I for one still salute you for subjecting yourself to those horrors, including the garficcino.

o7 o7 o7

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Maybe these were the recipes from the Dubai store that served as the basis for Toronto but then got updated along the way. It is completely in character that Nathen would have lost the updated recipes and/or the kitchen was utterly unorganized.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

david_a posted:

Maybe these were the recipes from the Dubai store that served as the basis for Toronto but then got updated along the way. It is completely in character that Nathen would have lost the updated recipes and/or the kitchen was utterly unorganized.

If he actually served those wimpyass Garficcinos in Dubai I'm surprised nobody took a fatwa out on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
None of you ‘muricans heard of a sofrito? That’s the 101 when making any kind of tomato based sauce.