Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

pseudodragon posted:

Kinta does all the matches. He cuts everything right to the actual fight and maybe one replay so you miss the intros and any pre/post match analysis but the actual fights are there. Well, sometimes he makes some cuts for boring Hokuseiho poo poo, like cutting the middle 5 seconds of a 15 second resthold.

Those two are the go to guys unless someone's stepped up in the chaos that I've missed. The NHK digest is the most rules following way of watching in English outside of Japan.

Ah cool, thanks for clarifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Caught up with day 2:

Nice seeing Teru back, will be interesting to see if he can get back on track and just out-muscle his opponents.

Also, loving the new intensely green mawashi on Ichiyamamoto. He may be one of my least favourite guys and the mawashi doesn't seem to be bringing him any luck. But drat it looks nice

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Watched the Kintamayama highlights and they were pretty good, albeit a slightly washed out picture compared to NHK. Squeezed a lot in though, which was nice - actually more than NHK it seemed as there were quite a few Juryo matches too. The differing transliteration was slightly disorientating at first, as suddenly the names I have begun to learn have more letters in them than before! Interestingly they give West/East information, unlike NHK.

Good set of bouts. Terunofuji just gassed out, it looked like. Maybe his injury lay-off has affected his fitness, but that's blind speculation from a newb. If so, he's going to have to steamroller his opponents which, based on his first bout, and a couple of the other vids I've seen of him, he's more than capable of.

Can I swap Abi from my team please, for Wakamotoharu or failing that Tobizaru?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is it just me or is Kintamayama's channel gone? can't find it in search and the link in the OP is dead too

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Kerrzhe posted:

is it just me or is Kintamayama's channel gone? can't find it in search and the link in the OP is dead too

Type "Mord Dresner" in to youtube.

I just sit in Natto's telegram though, just a convenient one-click download button shows up and then I can watch it locally without dealing with youtube compression or whatever.,

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 2:

Ryuuden got Shodai'd

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How long before terry is out again?

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Communist Thoughts posted:

How long before terry is out again?

I give him four losses

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/01/16/kiji/20240116s00005000217000c.html
Takayasu is out.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I just recalled, wasn't it Wakamotoharu who thought he had a kinboshi in like, July of 22, but there was an extra bizarre mawashi retying event instead? Extra nice for the guy to grab the win today in a less strange bout.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Can I trade Takayasu and get Ura please

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I forgot that in order to do daily standings I needed to do the goonzuke. I wasn't able to get that done yesterday, so we're a little late, but here we are.

code:
		  Hatsu 2024	

Ozeki	
Tiny Bug Child		1	anakha
Banana Canada		2	Thauros
Khizan			3	

Sekiwake	
Vargatron		1	NuclearPotato
Iron Chef Nex		2	Saturnine Aberrance

Komusubi	
Teddybear		1	Pakled
			2	Ice Phisherman

Maegashira	
pseudodragon		1	Communist Thoughts
GoatSeeGuy		2	Kenning
Akiosan			3	Marching Powder
Brut			4	Robviously
MalarkeyToboggan	5	whats for dinner
MyChemicalImbalance	6	Everyones Favorite Poster
NTRabbit		7	Xerzes
bessantj		8	Fluffdaddy
Mode 7			9	Fearless
Lid			10	Jobbo_Fett
Helianthus Annuus	11	Ben Nerevarine
Crusty Nutsack		12	Netsky
Average Lettuce		13	Charles Gnarwin
bartolimu		14	Chinook
captainblastum		15	ullerrm

Juryo	

Dead Goon		1	Beexoffel
rare Magic card l00k	2	oldskool
Eli949			3	Samuel L. Hacksaw
Eldoop			4	Log082
Boogalo			5	PJ
Kuros			6	Nativity In Black
Kennedy			7	FART BOSS
Winter Stormer		8	Liquid Communism
LlamaTrauma		9	Rags to Liches
ImplicitAssembler	10	Skjorte
Kerrzhe			11	Tochiazuma
Single Tight Female	12	Taffy Torpedo
Gaghskull		13	Bentai
Takuan			14	QuasiQuack
Medenmath		15	Octatonic
KungFu Grip		16	Biosys
The Postman		17	ratmosphere
Flinger			18	
This wasn't the worst goonzuke I've had to make. All the ozeki defended their rank, and they're joined by Khizan, who won Hatsu 2023, and posted all winning records throughout the year, including two very solid back-to-back to get the nod. Ex-ozeki GoatSeeGuy is dropping from san'yaku, as are MyChemicalImbalance and Kenning, while Vargatron, Iron Chef Nex, and Saturnince Abberance get to sekiwake, and Teddybear, Pakled, and Ice Phisherman are filling the komusubi ranks. NuclearPotato has been posting winning records from sekiwake, but they've been moderate winning records and with 5 active ozeki it's gonna take a real push to get promoted.

In the maegashira we've got yusho winner MalarkeyToboggan jumping from M16e to M5e, and in general we saw soft promotions in the upper maegashira and soft demotions in the mid-low ranks, due to banzuke pressure. We had a big barge of exchanging makuuchi and juryo rikishi this basho, with Eli949, FART BOSS, Winter Stormer, Kerrzhe, Tochiazuma, and Taffy Torpedo heading down and NTRabbit (with the juryo yusho), bessantj, Fearless, Ben Nerevarine, Chinook, and ullerrm coming up. A great showing from new-or-returning rikishi too, with 4 of the 5 wrestlers newly on the banzuke posting winning scores.

Okay, now that the goonzuke has been settled I'm going to watch the first 2 days of action and post the dailies, as well as dealing with any trades.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This is a great first two days of a basho, and honestly the drama is already at 11.

Kerrzhe posted:

Kinta is doing some spoof bullshit after his copyright strikes, he's currently here: https://www.youtube.com/@MordDresner. Honestly, I need to update the OP, that was a stretch goal that I failed to accomplish during the holiday season but maybe I can get a new OP for Haru.

Thauros posted:

screwed up my bonus pick by writing "daieisho" instead of "daiamami" but my regular team is doing well..

This is a straightforward and honest brain fart, consider it fixed.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

(to thunderous applause) I'm gonna trade!

i want to drop Takanosho and pick up Onosato

EDIT: or Churanoumi if that's not possible. Shimazuumi would be my 3rd pick

Onosato is all full up, but you get Churanoumi from Day 3.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Can I swap Abi from my team please, for Wakamotoharu or failing that Tobizaru?

Wakamotoharu is yours for Day 3! Unfortunately you don't get scored for his kinboshi (since you didn't have him when he earned it) but you get everything going forward.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Can I trade Takayasu and get Ura please

Yes, Day 3.

Also, I'm ditching Tomokaze for Shimazuumi for Day 3.

As per our auto-trading rules (see OP), anyone else with Takayasu will take a fusen loss on Day 3 and get auto-traded for Day 4. I'll post the auto-trades once they go through.

Day 2 standings

Makuuchi
code:
11	Thauros
10	pseudodragon
10	Saturnine Aberrance
9	bessantj
9	Chinook
9	Kenning
9	Vargatron
8	anakha
8	Everyones Favorite Poster
8	Khizan
8	Lid
8	Pakled
7	Ben Nerevarine
7	Fluffdaddy
7	Jobbo_Fett
7	MalarkeyToboggan
7	NuclearPotato
7	whats for dinner
6	Average Lettuce
6	Banana Canada
6	Fearless
6	Ice Phisherman
6	Iron Chef Nex
6	MyChemicalImbalance
6	Teddybear
6	ullerrm
5	bartolimu
5	Brut
5	captainblastum
5	Communist Thoughts
5	Helianthus Annuus
5	Marching Powder
4	Crusty Nutsack
4	Netsky
4	NTRabbit
4	Robviously
4	Xerzes
3	Tiny Bug Child
Juryo
code:
9	Boogalo
9	Nativity In Black
9	Samuel L. Hacksaw
8	FART BOSS
8	Flinger
8	Kennedy
8	OneSizeFitsAll
7	Kerrzhe
7	Winter Stormer
6	Dead Goon
6	Greekonomics
6	ImplicitAssembler
6	Liquid Communism
6	Rags to Liches
6	ratmosphere
6	Takuan
5	Eldoop
5	Nick Soapdish
5	Single Tight Female
5	Taffy Torpedo
4	Beexoffel
4	PJ
4	StupidSexyMothman
3	Bentai
3	CodFishBalls
3	rare Magic card l00k
2	KungFu Grip
2	Kuros
2	Medenmath

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 16, 2024

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i hate to be a bother but i think i should have 7 points for day 2, not 2?

Kerrzhe

Y/O: Hoshoryu
S/K: Kotonowaka
M1-5: Hokutofuji
M6-10: Asanoyama
M11+: AOIYAMA
Juryo: Roga

or im just really bad at math

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You're definitely right, I'm not sure what exactly went wrong but I believe I've fixed it.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 3:

Teru vs Abi was hilarious. Absolute slapstick match

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Are we seeing the last basho of Big Dan? His performance today is making me think he's donezo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*sighs* okay.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Dropped all the way down to Juryo 6 and bombing the gently caress out of this tournament as well so far.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Found this in my youtube recommendations today. Pretty cool channel if you're a casual watcher and don't want/need to keep up with the whole basho. Nice editing and highlighting of what happens, step by step, in the bouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hM0x9JtTT4

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

As is my tradition, I would like to request no auto-trade due to Takayasu's absence. I am facing demotion to Juryo, and I will do so embracing my style of fantasy sumo as fully as possible.

...besides, with Aoiyama on my team it's not like trading Papa would save me. :sigh:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

As is my tradition, I would like to request no auto-trade due to Takayasu's absence. I am facing demotion to Juryo, and I will do so embracing my style of fantasy sumo as fully as possible.

...besides, with Aoiyama on my team it's not like trading Papa would save me. :sigh:

Very honourable :hai:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bartolimu posted:

Your hinkaku is recognized by your fellow competitors :hai:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

bartolimu posted:

I respect your brand of sumo

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
(solemnly) i would like to trade away Takayasu and pick up Kotonowaka.

If that's not possible, then Ura. Finally, Daieisho.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Can I trade Takayasu for Daieisho please

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
I stand by Papa Bear as lol, I'm not gonna have a good time anyway

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Can I please trade AOIYAMA for Onosato or Tsurugisho in that order? Thank you!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

quote:

KungFu Grip

Y/O: Hoshoryu
S/K: Ura
M1-5: Atamifuji
M6-10: Ichiyamamoto
M11+: Bushozan
Juryo: Kotoeko

good lord my only points are basically just from Hoshoryu

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Tiny Bug Beya is really not off to a great start this basho. I guess I'll start by ditching Takayasu and see about salvaging the rest tomorrow.

Trade request: Takyasu for Kotonowaka, Daieisho, or Ura in that order of preference.

Teru's looking kind of shaky out there, but Kirishima and Hoshoryu are both looking great. That throw Hoshoryu pulled off on Ura was absurd.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/
Takakeisho is out. :smith:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I was hoping he'd come back energized after the juryo stint, but this looks more like an impending retirement instead.

Can I trade out Aoiyama for any of Shimazuumi, Churanoumi, or Kotoshoho?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

dammit

can i get hoshoryu for taka

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Aahhh dammit :(

Could I get either of the other two on my y/o draft list? Either Kirishima or Hoshoryu, whoever’s available. If not I’ll just hope for the best out of Ura and the rest of my team!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Back home from my travels and I've just finished catching up with this basho and updating the tracker.

Kenning - OneSizeFitsAll should have only 6 points on Day 02 by my reckoning. This is the only discrepancy between your update and my tracker as at Day 02. Incorrectly added kinboshi points perhaps?

And I'll await your posting on trade confirmations for Day 04 before my next tracker update because it looks like there's going to be nearly two dozen trades to process!

What's New:
Added a Juryo row for the detailed tracker. Note that the wins for Juryo do not add into your total score and it's only used as a tie-breaker.

I've continued to order the summary placings by tie-breakers as well even though officially, Kenning only looks at these to determine overall divisional winners.

As befitting sumo ranks, everyone in Juryo gets the same light-grey background as their Excel cell mawashi colour. As non-ranked shin-goonzeki, OneSizeFitsAll, Greekonomics, Nick Soapdish, CodFishBalls and StupidSexyMothman also only get grey font. Everyone in Maegashira gets a darker background mawashi colour. If you are Sanyaku, you get a coloured background.

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 17, 2024

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hate to see so many san'yaku kyujo in week 1 :(

bartolimu posted:

CodFishBalls posted:

I stand by Papa Bear as lol, I'm not gonna have a good time anyway

Your superlative hinkaku is noted.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

(solemnly) i would like to trade away Takayasu and pick up Kotonowaka.

If that's not possible, then Ura. Finally, Daieisho.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Can I trade Takayasu for Daieisho please

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Tiny Bug Beya is really not off to a great start this basho. I guess I'll start by ditching Takayasu and see about salvaging the rest tomorrow.

Trade request: Takyasu for Kotonowaka, Daieisho, or Ura in that order of preference.

Teru's looking kind of shaky out there, but Kirishima and Hoshoryu are both looking great. That throw Hoshoryu pulled off on Ura was absurd.

All of the Takayasu trades followed the auto-trade, unless otherwise requested. Because the S/K field was reduced to 3, the number of players who can hold a given wrestler was increased to 1/2 of the field. The Takayasu trades resulted as follows:
code:
Vargatron		Kotonowaka
Banana Canada		Ura
Xerzes			Ura
StupidSexyMothman	Ura
Communist Thoughts	Daieisho
Samuel L. Hacksaw	Kotonowaka
Tiny Bug Child		Kotonowaka
Eldoop			Ura
Helianthus Annuus	Kotonowaka

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Can I please trade AOIYAMA for Onosato or Tsurugisho in that order? Thank you!

You get Tsurugisho!

ullerrm posted:

Can I trade out Aoiyama for any of Shimazuumi, Churanoumi, or Kotoshoho?

Shimazuumi it is!

Fluffdaddy posted:

dammit

can i get hoshoryu for taka

Yes.

Rags to Liches posted:

Could I get either of the other two on my y/o draft list? Either Kirishima or Hoshoryu, whoever’s available. If not I’ll just hope for the best out of Ura and the rest of my team!

You get Kirishima.

As with Takayasu, any auto-trades for Takakeisho's kyujo will be processed tomorrow, and posted then, after the players take their fusen loss.

Day 3 standings

Makuuchi
code:
14	Kenning
14	Saturnine Aberrance
14	Thauros
13	Chinook
13	pseudodragon
12	anakha
12	Pakled
12	Vargatron
11	bessantj
11	Everyones Favorite Poster
11	Jobbo_Fett
11	Lid
11	MalarkeyToboggan
10	Average Lettuce
10	Ben Nerevarine
10	Khizan
10	whats for dinner
9	NuclearPotato
9	ullerrm
8	bartolimu
8	Brut
8	captainblastum
8	Fearless
8	Ice Phisherman
8	Iron Chef Nex
8	Marching Powder
8	MyChemicalImbalance
8	Robviously
8	Teddybear
7.5	Fluffdaddy
7	Banana Canada
7	Crusty Nutsack
6.5	Helianthus Annuus
6	Communist Thoughts
6	Netsky
5	NTRabbit
5	Tiny Bug Child
5	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
14	Nativity In Black
13	Boogalo
13	Kennedy
13	Samuel L. Hacksaw
12	Flinger
11	FART BOSS
11	Kerrzhe
11	OneSizeFitsAll
10	ImplicitAssembler
10	Takuan
10	Winter Stormer
9	Liquid Communism
9	ratmosphere
8	Dead Goon
8	Greekonomics
8	PJ
8	Rags to Liches
7	Beexoffel
7	Eldoop
7	Nick Soapdish
7	Single Tight Female
7	Taffy Torpedo
6	Bentai
6	CodFishBalls
6	rare Magic card l00k
6	StupidSexyMothman
5	Kuros
4	KungFu Grip
3	Medenmath
This should be accurate with the half point penalties for double traders in place.

Banana Canada posted:

Back home from my travels and I've just finished catching up with this basho and updating the tracker.

Kenning - OneSizeFitsAll should have only 6 points on Day 02 by my reckoning. This is the only discrepancy between your update and my tracker as at Day 02. Incorrectly added kinboshi points perhaps?

And I'll await your posting on trade confirmations for Day 04 before my next tracker update because it looks like there's going to be nearly two dozen trades to process!

You were right on the errant kinboshi, thanks. It was only 14 trades between days 3 and 4! I hate early week kyujo lol.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Goddamn, Atamifuji is having a rough start.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Liquid Communism posted:

Goddamn, Atamifuji is having a rough start.

They did give him just about the toughest four opponents to open with though

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's good to see that the San'yaku ranks are starting strong, the injured pair not withstanding and Ura having a nightmare start otherwise they're all with good records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still hopeful we see Takayasu back trying to eke out seven more wins. Back pain is no joke, but at least it's not a known quantity and (presumably) not a new injury.