Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

I've seen that 'theory'. I've also seen flat earthers pick this up and use it to say "See, the Earth isn't as big as (((They))) say it is - planes don't need 200 tons of fuel to cross the oceans because they're not actually going round the back of the planet. Makes u think!"

It's fun the way conspiracy theories run together, like paints on a canvas left out in the rain.

With a lot of conspiracy theories I can at least follow the lines and determine who’s supposed to benefit from this being true.

Flat earth is one I can’t ever figure out the who or why. Who benefits? Who is the “they” in “what they aren’t telling you”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Techno Remix posted:

With a lot of conspiracy theories I can at least follow the lines and determine who’s supposed to benefit from this being true.

Flat earth is one I can’t ever figure out the who or why. Who benefits? Who is the “they” in “what they aren’t telling you”?

Nearly every Flat Earther I've ever encountered is also Biblical Literalist type Christian, so it's usually attributed to an attempt to make people disbelieve the Bible and so not be Real True Christians(tm). Most of the time they'll admit the connection, sometimes they try to pretend it's not and it's just pure scientific truth unrelated to their religious beliefs.

E: So the answer to your question is that "they" are evil secular humanists who serve the Devil.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I liked the one where they openly admit that it's because they're terrified of just being on a pale blue dot.

It's a continuation of evolution = I'm not a monkey! And heliocentrism, the age of the earth, climate change, germ theory.

Basically anything that uses statistical analysis over a long period of time or records is a Marxist plot, to reduce us to cattle and you should just trust your own eyes and ears and Bronze Age book, because they're terrified of not being the most important thing in the universe and also terrified of other people.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

I liked the one where they openly admit that it's because they're terrified of just being on a pale blue dot.

It's a continuation of evolution = I'm not a monkey! And heliocentrism, the age of the earth, climate change, germ theory.

Basically anything that uses statistical analysis over a long period of time or records is a Marxist plot, to reduce us to cattle and you should just trust your own eyes and ears and Bronze Age book, because they're terrified of not being the most important thing in the universe and also terrified of other people.

It's the same reason why believing we're in some kind of end times is popular no matter who stands to benefit from it or doesn't. It's scary to think that one day you'll be gone and everyone who knew you will be gone, and yet the world will be going along in blissful ignorance of all you ever did and were. Even if it's not the literal end of the world, at least you can be from one of those big important periods everyone thinks about. It's like being one of those dinosaurs that died in a bog a thousand years before the asteroid, no one's going to even romanticize the anonymous idea of you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Killer robot posted:

It's the same reason why believing we're in some kind of end times is popular no matter who stands to benefit from it or doesn't. It's scary to think that one day you'll be gone and everyone who knew you will be gone, and yet the world will be going along in blissful ignorance of all you ever did and were. Even if it's not the literal end of the world, at least you can be from one of those big important periods everyone thinks about. It's like being one of those dinosaurs that died in a bog a thousand years before the asteroid, no one's going to even romanticize the anonymous idea of you.

These people who want to be important and remembered for eternity clearly never said "You too" when a waitron said "Enjoy your meal".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think at the other end there's also the popular myth of the start times, a time when we all lived in harmony with nature and everything was nice and peaceful.

David Icke, Alex Jones, and Bob Moran all love poo poo like that. Not enough to stop writing nonsense and live in a tree instead, but enough for them to react by throwing any sources that reject that onto the list of cabal deep-state illuminati, while entertaining any crank who affirms them while adding some extra lizards.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Killer robot posted:

The appeal of doomsday cults is that you don't really have to worry about tomorrow. Who cares about the climate, or the economy, or your estranged grandchildren? The world will end before you have to suffer any uncomfortable consequences to that.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Killer robot posted:

Which is weird to me, because I find the idea that the world will still be spinning long after I'm gone very comforting. "I might have dropped the ball several times, but at least I didn't fail to stop the apocalypse! :pseudo:"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When faced with the existential dread of the certainty of death, some people respond with fear or anxiety while others respond with a shrug or a lol. Conspiracists tend to land in the former group.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One thing that also keeps coming up with this type is the (deliberate?) confusion between expertise and supremacy.

From the Protocols of Zion whining about how the Jews are secretly replacing hereditary offices with elected ones and replacing religion with science to Jones and Icke saying that every kind of expert except cranks who agree with them "thinks they are better than the ordinary people."

Conservapedia was infamous for this too.

I think it fits very well with biblical literalism because it takes the "you know the Bible as well as a bishop does" attitude and applies it to knowing climatology better than climatologists etc.

"You can't tell me what to do" plus fear of the incredible amount of knowledge built up and that you'll never learn it all, well that doesn't matter if most of it is fake.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

I think at the other end there's also the popular myth of the start times, a time when we all lived in harmony with nature and everything was nice and peaceful.

David Icke, Alex Jones, and Bob Moran all love poo poo like that. Not enough to stop writing nonsense and live in a tree instead, but enough for them to react by throwing any sources that reject that onto the list of cabal deep-state illuminati, while entertaining any crank who affirms them while adding some extra lizards.

An idyllic previous time that's heavily romanticized and that we've since strayed from is also a core component of fascism

Especially when it's not true at all, partly because believing the happy lie is easier than the more complicated reality

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Which is weird to me, because I find the idea that the world will still be spinning long after I'm gone very comforting. "I might have dropped the ball several times, but at least I didn't fail to stop the apocalypse! :pseudo:"

Welcome to Night Vale, of all things, had a line that really stuck with me about the whole "the world keeps spinning after you're gone" thing.

quote:

Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Techno Remix posted:

The globalist elite will lose all their power if people realise the globe itself is a lie

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Techno Remix posted:

Frequently the answer seems to be "NASA". They really hate NASA for some reason and are very confident that NASA actually confirmed flat earth back in the 60s but realized they'd lose their funding if it got out so they decided instead to create a conspiracy involving hundreds of airlines and governments.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Techno Remix posted:

Others have mentioned the middle-man answers... but with almost any conspiracy theory with a decent number of followers the answer is inevitably "Jews".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's also not for nothing that flat earthers know that their idea is absurd, but continually spiraling downwards into conspiracies requires taking on more and more absurd ideas. If you are trying to work towards "actually life should be perfect and the human condition is orchestrated by a shadowy cabal of evil people" then it's not enough for them to just control banks, because that isn't a grand enough scale. No, they need something *big*, something gigantic to demonstrate the power they have and why they can make death exist and your kids not want to call you. Thus, flat earth.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

generatrix posted:

Others have mentioned the middle-man answers... but with almost any conspiracy theory with a decent number of followers the answer is inevitably "Jews".

This can’t be over-emphasized, if you’ve been reading about a conspiracy theory which is new to you for more than ten minutes and haven’t encountered the antisemitism, your source isn’t being honest enough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think there's also, especially in the halfway there but not fully Space Jews people, the idea that someone is lying to them.

And someone is, it's the people saying that the Bible is inerrant and speaks with a single authoritative voice and accurately describes natural causes.

But if you don't want to believe that, you can believe it's the entire of academia who are making poo poo up on purpose to socially engineer you.

That's also believed is some way or form by a lot of the alt-right/alt-lite, even the ones who are fine with the physical sciences saying the moon is real, but will believe everything OAN says about the social science department.

(Which also goes back to not wanting to believe that years long multivariate analyses might come up with better solutions than their cool instant thought.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scruff McGruff posted:

Frequently the answer seems to be "NASA". They really hate NASA for some reason and are very confident that NASA actually confirmed flat earth back in the 60s but realized they'd lose their funding if it got out so they decided instead to create a conspiracy involving hundreds of airlines and governments.

"poo poo, we can't let it get out that the earth is flat, or else we'll have no reason to exist. ...I guess besides the billions of stars, exoplanets, singularities, nebulae--"
"Those are all holes poked in the Celestial Dome. You've bought into your own lie!"
"Nooo!"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Scruff McGruff posted:

NASA: Never A Straight Answer

:smugdog:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Folding Ideas' In Search Of A Flat Earth is a good rundown of this for the first half, before the twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sometimes I idly wonder how the Hollow Earth and Flat Earth people get along, or the Celestial Dome and the Lizard Aliens.

But I'm 99% sure they have some variant of blaming jewish people to explain the diconnect so I am not going to spend time checking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
According to Jon Ronson, Alex Jones and David Icke hate one another for "making up stupid poo poo" so that's :allears: to think about.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Reptilians is a direct find-and-replace for antisemitism, and Hollow Earth becomes antisemitism after a couple of pages.

“New” ideas in conspiracy spaces are all reaches and bends to try and adapt whatever material feels most topical to the theorists to be about Jewish people and their universal lockstep cooperation, with brown and non-Protestant people added on in more modern times.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Neito posted:

Folding Ideas' In Search Of A Flat Earth is a good rundown of this for the first half, before the twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Seconded. And he delivers the twist in such an upbeat tone! :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LonsomeSon posted:

Reptilians is a direct find-and-replace for antisemitism, and Hollow Earth becomes antisemitism after a couple of pages.

“New” ideas in conspiracy spaces are all reaches and bends to try and adapt whatever material feels most topical to the theorists to be about Jewish people and their universal lockstep cooperation, with brown and non-Protestant people added on in more modern times.
Depending on the audience Protestant people can get included too, Ernest Renauld's Le Péril Protestant was a 'classic' of the genre at the same time as The Protocols of Zion, and claimed that Protestants were pawns to the Freemasons, who were pawns to the Jews, to destroy Catholic Europe and replace natural heredity with illuminati ideas like voting.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Soricidus posted:

The globalist elite will lose all their power if people realise the globe itself is a lie

I imagine there are at least some people who eat up the Steve Bannon antiglobalist nonsense because they think it means round-earthers

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've seen chuds praising the wackjob libertarian president they have in Argentina, talking about how he's totally gonna stick it to the globalists. But didn't they dollarize their economy? Isn't that as globalist as you can get?

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Aztec Galactus posted:

I imagine there are at least some people who eat up the Steve Bannon antiglobalist nonsense because they think it means round-earthers

Worried about globohomo for the globo, not the homo.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ashcans posted:

Sometimes I idly wonder how the Hollow Earth and Flat Earth people get along, or the Celestial Dome and the Lizard Aliens.

But I'm 99% sure they have some variant of blaming jewish people to explain the diconnect so I am not going to spend time checking.

A Hollow Earther and a Flat Earther bump into each other in the middle of a Gentile town. One asks the other, "How's business?" And the other replies, "... Great!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Animal-Mother posted:

A Hollow Earther and a Flat Earther bump into each other in the middle of a Gentile town. One asks the other, "How's business?" And the other replies, "... Great!"

huh?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Flat Earthers are getting scarce.
The new cool thing is the 'Mud Flood and Giants'.
Apparently there was a world wide mud flood a few centuries ago (not Noah's Flood) and this wiped out intelligent civilizations and giant humans!

Their proof? Some old buildings have cladding upto a certain point, therefore that was the mud level defense.
Or some old buildings have basement windows, therefore that basement floor was a ground level floor in the past.

And giants because some stones look like faces.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Flat Earthers are getting scarce.
The new cool thing is the 'Mud Flood and Giants'.
Apparently there was a world wide mud flood a few centuries ago (not Noah's Flood) and this wiped out intelligent civilizations and giant humans!

Their proof? Some old buildings have cladding upto a certain point, therefore that was the mud level defense.
Or some old buildings have basement windows, therefore that basement floor was a ground level floor in the past.

And giants because some stones look like faces.

Sounds related to the "Plateaus are the stumps of old trees" thing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Neito posted:

Sounds related to the "Plateaus are the stumps of old trees" thing.

I love that beyond all reason.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Animal-Mother posted:

W🎩

vvvvvvvv I think I've played that map

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

My favorite flat earth conspiracy things is that the non-global elites are actually hiding secret hyperborean landmasses outside of the Antarctica ice walls because they get all the land to themselves (?).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If any of this poo poo were true it would own, but I always feel bad in indulging in it because you know, (((reasons)))

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

A classic joke among old-school Jewish comedians was "Two gentile businessmen meet in the street. One says to the other, 'How's business?' and the other says, 'It's great, thanks for asking.'" The joke being that a couple of Jewish businessmen would always have something to complain about even if they were doing well.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

You see, global warming is real, but it's good because we're doing it to melt the ice wall so we can go forth and conquer the rest of the flat Earth.

Seriously, I live in the US, there's no way we wouldn't just nuke the ice wall and start an eternal war of conquest to help someone win the next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

cat botherer posted:

My favorite flat earth conspiracy things is that the non-global elites are actually hiding secret hyperborean landmasses outside of the Antarctica ice walls because they get all the land to themselves (?).

I also enjoy Hunter x Hunter, but it should have ended after the revelation of the larger flat earth the government was keeping secret.