Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Man I need to shout out the peaceful ceo Xbox group. Help with sales, chill environment is just so nice. It is funny for gently caress around and drive my acid lab truck around in public lobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I am also on Xbox, I was unaware there were more of us.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

kri kri posted:

Man I need to shout out the peaceful ceo Xbox group. Help with sales, chill environment is just so nice. It is funny for gently caress around and drive my acid lab truck around in public lobbies.

Is that PGAM? Yeah I join those lobbies sometimes it’s good fun.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Is that PGAM? Yeah I join those lobbies sometimes it’s good fun.

The tag we use is PCEO

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm on PS5 and still have the now-defunct LLJK tag from when I was playing GTAO on my PS3 lol

Also I decided to try and do the heists in chronological order and am immediately reminded of why I stopped playing for years, why on earth do even the setups require 4 players, I can literally just steal a prison bus myself jfc

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Because the OG Heists, like most other content in GTAO, is disrespectful of the player's time and is subtly encouraging shark card purchase

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Does GTA5 get to be more fun at some point? It's kind of boring early on.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That was kind of my problem with it, too, yeah. I remember instantly having at least some degree of fun with GTA: San Andreas, even during those annoying tutorial missions, but the little time I ended up spending with GTA 5 was just a slog, through and through. Does the game become more engrossing later on? I don't think I like any of the main characters!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Fun is subjective playboy

but I do enjoy cruising around with all the stuff I’ve personalized

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Franklin is kinda bland at first (though Lamar is great), and Michael has the whole “I’m rich, I’m miserable!!” schtick going on early too. They both get better later, but imo at least play until you start getting Trevor missions as he’s instantly more entertaining than the other two.

Trevor appears after the first heist, so probably about 10 missions in I think.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I think Franklin is the only relatable character. I get Trevor as a sort of unrestrained impulse cartoon character but God I hate Michael through and through.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've seen Trevor described as being based on the way people actually play GTA games in the open world outside of missions

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I love GTAV, but its probably the series at its most self-aware and metatextual so coming to it without the entire sordid franchise history probably lessens the impact.

The three protagonists are a specific archetype of former GTA games: the usual up-and-coming young criminal, how the protagonists life would turn out after they successfully retired, and what a person who acts like the players do while loving around in the open would actually be like. They also let you know upfront that the whole thing is going to be ironic with Lamar spelling out the overused GTA mission cycle of work for someone -> they betray you -> kill them which is in pretty stark contrast to the depressing crime drama prestige TV thing that Nico Bellic had going on. Curious to see if they try to balance the two extremes a little more in VI or just keep the 'parody within a parody' thing going.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They should get joe Pesci and Lorraine bracco to voice the protagonists for 6

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

If the trailer is any indication we can look forward to Florida Man jokes and commentary on social media trends that’s about five years past it’s sell-by date because modern games take so long to make

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mission: Dang David! Objective: steal David’s light grey Vags

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I saw someone suggest the tutorial mission should be breaking into a country club and stealing top secret military documents that are stored in a box in the bathroom and I have never wanted anything more

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ainsley McTree posted:

They should get joe Pesci and Lorraine bracco to voice the protagonists for 6

If anyone’s curious, Lucia’s actress has almost certainly been discovered: it’s Manni L Perez.

She looks and sounds exactly like Lucia in the trailer, did some minor voice work for GTA Online, and she told some podcast that she was currently working on something huge and couldn’t talk about - when the host pressed her on whether it was a movie, tv show etc, she was like nah I really really can’t talk about it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

mp5 posted:

Fun is subjective playboy

but I do enjoy cruising around with all the stuff I’ve personalized

I hear yah. While I've played open world games in the past.....I'm having a bit of trouble getting into this aspect right now. Driving around and exploring the city (which is impressive as all hell......even ten years after it came out) is cool......but it adds a whole lot of extra time just getting from place to place. I get that during a mission....it makes sense to have to drive to your objective.....but I wish I was able to open up a list of available missions and just start them rather than driving to and finding them on the map. Several times I've driven to a mission to find out I have the wrong PC. Or I get a prompt that I'm not dressed correctly.

webmeister posted:

Franklin is kinda bland at first (though Lamar is great), and Michael has the whole “I’m rich, I’m miserable!!” schtick going on early too. They both get better later, but imo at least play until you start getting Trevor missions as he’s instantly more entertaining than the other two.

Trevor appears after the first heist, so probably about 10 missions in I think.

I don't necessarily have any issues with the storylines. It is pretty awesome to be able to flip between multiple PCs. And yeah.....I have gotten the first heist mission started. Definitely want to get Trevor as a PC before really deciding how much time I'm going to invest in the game. It really is impressive....it just hasn't grabbed my attention like I thought it would.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Several times I've driven to a mission to find out I have the wrong PC. Or I get a prompt that I'm not dressed correctly.

The map markers are colour coded for each character. Franklin is green, Michael is blue, Trevor is orange. The icons are also larger if you’re playing as the relevant character.

There’s only a handful of missions where you need a specific outfit, and it usually tells you in advance, though from memory I think casing the jewellery store needs a “smart” outfit or something which is a bit vague.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You have to wear a suit to case the jewelry store but I think that's the absolute one time in the game where that happens lol

Half the time Michael is already in a suit when you switch to him

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I never engaged with the dress up mechanics by choice except for putting Michael in the dumb robes for the Epsilon mission chain or whenever Trevor turned up in just his underwear because that’s no way to wander around in the desert at night.

I can’t remember having to put anything specific on except for the one mission to dress nice for the movie premier.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RestingB1tchFace posted:

if you're talking single player I'd argue not really, honestly. I had some problems with it in 2013 and it's aged poorly since. While there are some cool setpiece missions, there's also a lot more that is unfun or worse. It's totally valid to nope out of it, imo

gtao was fun because we made it fun, but gta sp is take it or leave it and there's a lot of reasons to leave it.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm on PS5 and still have the now-defunct LLJK tag from when I was playing GTAO on my PS3 lol

Also I decided to try and do the heists in chronological order and am immediately reminded of why I stopped playing for years, why on earth do even the setups require 4 players, I can literally just steal a prison bus myself jfc

Oops. I'm also still in the LLJK crew. Is there a new and improved crew I should switch to?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

You have to wear a suit to case the jewelry store but I think that's the absolute one time in the game where that happens lol

Half the time Michael is already in a suit when you switch to him

You need to wear specific clothes for the LifeInvader mission too, though iirc getting the outfit is part of the mission itself?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

whenever Trevor turned up in just his underwear because that’s no way to wander around in the desert at night.

You're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

webmeister posted:

You need to wear specific clothes for the LifeInvader mission too, though iirc getting the outfit is part of the mission itself?

Yeah that's the mission that unlocks the ability to buy clothes at all (which is some pretty lol game design but I guess RDR3 didn't unlock fishing for the first like eight hours either)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There are some good QOL changes made in GTA:O, such as not flying through the windshield and dying if you hit something at more than 25 mph and being able to buy clothes at any clothes store.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah that's the mission that unlocks the ability to buy clothes at all (which is some pretty lol game design but I guess RDR3 didn't unlock fishing for the first like eight hours either)

Big improvement from San Andreas where clothing stores unlocked progressively through the story! From memory you couldn’t even enter the Didier Sachs store until late into the Las Venturas missions

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Baron von Eevl posted:

There are some good QOL changes made in GTA:O, such as not flying through the windshield and dying if you hit something at more than 25 mph and being able to buy clothes at any clothes store.

that doesn't happen if you wait for your guy to put on his seatbelt like a responsible motorist

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!

I just didn’t like looking at Trevor in his underwear

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mp5 posted:

that doesn't happen if you wait for your guy to put on his seatbelt like a responsible motorist

Takes too long. All games should let you steal a car by diving head first through the windshield and magically appearing behind the wheel.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Takes too long. All games should let you steal a car by diving head first through the windshield and magically appearing behind the wheel.

That’s just saints row 3

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

That’s just saints row 3

picked a great time to remember the fact that GTAO is still making money whilst former employees of Volition and Free Radical are out in the street

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was dicking around with the renovate option to put a bigger safe in my salvage yard and decided to see if it would let you upgrade to the non-beater truck but it only lets you pay full price.

So I unselected the truck and added the safe, only to find that when I finished it had renovated my salvage yard by taking away my truck entirely since I guess didn’t reselect the beater, putting me like 400k in the hole to have to buy another truck.

Cool system!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I was dicking around with the renovate option to put a bigger safe in my salvage yard and decided to see if it would let you upgrade to the non-beater truck but it only lets you pay full price.

So I unselected the truck and added the safe, only to find that when I finished it had renovated my salvage yard by taking away my truck entirely since I guess didn’t reselect the beater, putting me like 400k in the hole to have to buy another truck.

Cool system!

Coincidentally, that is how much you'd make with this week's tow yard bonus over 16 hour of playtime.

You could try to enter a ticket with R*.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Decent week

https://youtu.be/Rm5qMQozm0U?si=nVArmpCKM9bBbtuZ

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

boring week

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Double acid is alright, 5x taxi is lol.

Taxi work should be at least 5x whenever if you own the taxi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Double acid is alright, 5x taxi is lol.

Taxi work should be at least 5x whenever if you own the taxi.

2x acid is good yeah

Now I just need a 2x hanger sales