Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

2 sodas for the price of 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If Scott can't figure out how to mute his phone he should at least change his text notification from the default so I stop checking my phone.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I thought it was phone notifications pushing to his desktop, a thing every Mac user I know has somehow been caught off guard by

(Big fan of PFT deciding to start texting specifically to trigger the notifications)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scott not knowing how his phone/computer works is the most 50 year old dad thing imaginable and I find it very charming

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I had missed Bruba Go Do, and the Best Of had me cackling. Gil Ozeri's best work I reckon.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

VagueRant posted:

I had missed Bruba Go Do, and the Best Of had me cackling. Gil Ozeri's best work I reckon.

Busiest Man in the World is such a brilliant character and a consistently great performance. Something that jumped out at me hearing it in the Best Ofs was the way Gil says "Sometimes she says 'no.'" after the first time Bruba refuses a request. Like it's just an aside for the people in the room, but he delivers it with the same volume and cadence as everything else he's running down.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Honestly I thought maybe he hit the wrong soundboard button for “no” on Bruhba and just instantly went with it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The back and forth with Bruba refusing, in that robotic voice, until finally saying “Bruba go do” was the icing on the cake.

I just got back from grocery shopping, where I heard “The Look of Love” by ABC, having to hold back my laughter because nobody was going to get it

Now I have “Poison Arrow” in my head

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

From an old CBB episode I discovered Jess McKenna, who has a musical improv podcast called Off Book with Zach Reino (who has also apparently been on a few episodes of CBB). Oh man, I don't know if improvisers rank degree of difficulty but coming up with a new hour long musical every week off the top of their heads seems up there. McKenna's voice is ideal to play ridiculous orphan children who tend to appear in musicals and on some CBB episodes.

Also hey, so I though the full past episodes of CBB were only available on CBB World, but I can access every episode through Apple Podcasts, I just need to search the specific episode and follow the link on apple.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 8, 2024

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ccs posted:

From an old CBB episode I discovered Jess McKenna, who has a musical improv podcast called Off Book with Zach Reino (who has also apparently been on a few episodes of CBB). Oh man, I don't know if improvisers rank degree of difficulty but coming up with a new hour long musical every week off the top of their heads seems up there. McKenna's voice is ideal to play ridiculous orphan children who tend to appear in musicals and on some CBB episodes.

Also hey, so I though the full past episodes of CBB were only available on CBB World, but I can access every episode through Apple Podcasts, I just need to search the specific episode and follow the link on apple.

musical improv is a whole thing but yeah, the people who are good at it are on another level. i'm a non-musical dunce so the people who play the piano or whatever other instrumental backing on the fly are basically wizards to me

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Nice to hear Eugene Cordero again. It feels like it's been years since he's been on.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ainsley McTree posted:

musical improv is a whole thing but yeah, the people who are good at it are on another level. i'm a non-musical dunce so the people who play the piano or whatever other instrumental backing on the fly are basically wizards to me

Eban Schletter who did live piano for PFT's Spontaneanation is incredible at it. (looks as though he might've written the Mr Show theme, too. and a bunch of other poo poo.)

I think he mostly scores things afterwards but James Bladon of Superego is also king poo poo at comedy music

e: Superego has a couple different fake bands. Neko Case did a sketch on one season and is incredibly funny

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ccs posted:

Adjacent to Off Book (which also has a full show on Dropout doing this), there's an episode of Game Changer (also on Dropout) where they book a troupe that improvises a Shakespeare play, where each player gets points for each reference they can sneak it to various prompts. It's insane how well they pull it off.

Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaR8rFsWoEo

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Fezz posted:

Nice to hear Eugene Cordero again. It feels like it's been years since he's been on.

The dude has been W O R K I N G I T lately so its amazing that he has free time for CBB.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good first episode of the year. Glad the Oh No Era has been replaced by the Bitch Era.

Ccs posted:

From an old CBB episode I discovered Jess McKenna, who has a musical improv podcast called Off Book with Zach Reino (who has also apparently been on a few episodes of CBB).

The first CBB episode of hers with Power Wheels Beth is one of my all-timer favorites. Zach Reino's first appearance as Dash Grabum where he's basically describing Pokemon lore to Jon Hamm is also up there.

If you want to get into Off Book, I'd suggest one of their early episodes, the one with Flula Borg. That was a great combination.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Adjacent to Off Book (which also has a full show on Dropout doing this), there's an episode of Game Changer (also on Dropout) where they book a troupe that improvises a Shakespeare play, where each player gets points for each reference they can sneak it to various prompts. It's insane how well they pull it off.

It's kind of the same schtick as musical improv, which is the same schtick as all improv, really. It's just a very specific form and game. You have to know either topic well (musicals or Shakespeare) to know the very basic prototypes for things (in the case of musicals, for instance, patter songs, ballads, etc.) and then it's just practicing the form enough so that you're good at it.

It's good stuff, I like it, and I certainly can't do any of them, but I wouldn't call them any more insane than any other good improviser's work. I do think that there's something about it that feels like it should be more difficult, but it's more like a magic trick - in the sense that a magic trick always seems more impressive until you learn the actual mechanics.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I love Jess and Zack but to me musical improv shows its seems too quickly. The formula is just too repetitive, and after a handful of episodes I felt like I'd seen their entire bag of tricks.

I wish there was a movie form podcast, which I feel is much more flexible. I know Betsy and Mano occasionally do it for horror movies on We Love Trash, but as much as I like them as individual performers I find that they lean too hard into the crazy too quickly together.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

Eban Schletter who did live piano for PFT's Spontaneanation is incredible at it. (looks as though he might've written the Mr Show theme, too. and a bunch of other poo poo.)

I think he mostly scores things afterwards but James Bladon of Superego is also king poo poo at comedy music

e: Superego has a couple different fake bands. Neko Case did a sketch on one season and is incredibly funny

Shunt McGuppin is a living legend
[edit] he might be dead tho who even knows

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bang Bang into my mouth that was a great episode!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Fezz posted:

When he first started speaking with the Philippine accent I had to double check as my brain told me this was definitely Horatio Sanz, while also reminding me that it couldn't be him as it was just as certain he had been cancelled. I was barely awake and had just stepped out into the cold on my way to work, so I got through like a full two minutes of my brain ping-ponging back and forth between the two options like some kind of program glitching out before I caught myself and checked my phone.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Scott: Hey did you hear [obvious lie]
Ben Schwartz: Wait are you for real
Scott: Yeah [obvious comedic heightening]
Ben Schwartz: Wow. No way. For real? Is this real? Oh my god! I didn't hear about that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

JethroMcB posted:

Elvis: Hey did you hear [obvious lie]
Scott: Wait are you for real
Elvis: Yeah [obvious comedic heightening]
Scott: Wow. No way. For real? Is this real? Oh my god! I didn't hear about that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

You can't find Dr. Skeleton's Celebrity Toilet on Google or Bing, Scott.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ccs posted:

From an old CBB episode I discovered Jess McKenna, who has a musical improv podcast called Off Book with Zach Reino (who has also apparently been on a few episodes of CBB).

So two videos you should watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCI0gD_K27M

First the short one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivf58k53nu0

Now the long one.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 9, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

root beer posted:

Shunt McGuppin is a living legend
[edit] he might be dead tho who even knows

"I like to think that in the 70s, Mutt Taylor used his money to buy a car dealership. But Shunt used his to buy a lovely car dealership. And I think that might be true in real life, too."

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I love Jess and Zack but to me musical improv shows its seems too quickly. The formula is just too repetitive, and after a handful of episodes I felt like I'd seen their entire bag of tricks.

I wish there was a movie form podcast, which I feel is much more flexible. I know Betsy and Mano occasionally do it for horror movies on We Love Trash, but as much as I like them as individual performers I find that they lean too hard into the crazy too quickly together.

I really enjoyed the Every Place I Cry episodes
Deep V's for Double D's makes me laugh every time

And even if it's not Christmas the PFT and Nicole Parker episodes are tons of fun.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

So two videos you should watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCI0gD_K27M

First the short one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivf58k53nu0

Now the long one.

Now the twist: I've already seen both those cause I've been watching all the Off Book content on youtube over the past few days.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Did "Spirit" originate there as well? They played on a couple of Andy Daly's podcasts [their hit song All The Way Tonight (The Look of the Lion) ]

I am also a big fan of the song from Drivin and Fuckin with Joe Bongo episode of Andy Daly's podcast, which is a parody of prog rock and has such a long name that I can't remember it. Edit: okay it was "Splashdown Sweet The Liquid Dunes Begin (of Antilles 10) Part -1 or Alignment of the Stars at Solaris Kosh"

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 11, 2024

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I love Lily Sullivan’s dumb little on-the-spot throwaway characters like Tony Sony

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

root beer posted:

I love Lily Sullivan’s dumb little on-the-spot throwaway characters like Tony Sony

And I love Scott's annoyance at juggling all these pop-in characters. "Well, if they're showing up, you should leave." "There they go, and we will not see them again."

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Give Tony Sony his own podcast

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Scott really leaning into not giving a poo poo about complaining about projects people are involved with to their face is great.

As is the Paul (now joined by Lily) background chuckling, and their ability to jump in as the dumbest characters related to the beignin things the guests are talking about.

Actually checking out the movie based on Mary Holland being in it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crindee posted:

Give Tony Sony his own podcast

I hope we get to meet his goooomaaarrr some day

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Comedy Bang! Bang! The Podcast (The Book) is on sale for 50% off at B&N.

Signed edition, too. I got an Aukerman/Daly/Tompkins

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The movie Jake was promoting was very "eh", never really delivering on the premise. You expect fun assassins, but the closest you get is "hey isn't it funny one is dressed up like Mario". Definitely feels like a movie shot in 17 days and where any big set pieces were cut for budgetary reasons.

That all said, they cast the Santa Claus guy from "I Think You Should Leave" as someone in the movie a lot and he's so much fun.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It wasn’t great but it was kinda fun and I can recommend it to my parents.

I will say there were a couple cameos that I thought were pretty good, I’m dumb so what.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Comedy Bang! Bang! The Podcast (The Book) is on sale for 50% off at B&N.

Signed edition, too. I got an Aukerman/Daly/Tompkins

Thanks for the heads-up, grabbed a signed copy

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

JethroMcB posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, grabbed a signed copy

I did the same!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Holy crap shipping from B&N is slow as hell, wish anywhere near me had any copies. Oh well, I’ll find out who signed mine in ten days.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

limp dick calvin posted:

It wasn’t great but it was kinda fun and I can recommend it to my parents.

I will say there were a couple cameos that I thought were pretty good, I’m dumb so what.

Whole-heartedly agree with this. They telegraphed the last one a bit much for my tastes, but I was happy to see the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Self Reliance spoilers: I enjoyed it enough as an easy watch, it really felt like it was missing one more twist at the end though. It was a weird choice to have the Wayne Brady guy in the last scene as well, it seems like his family are humouring him and still don't really believe it but like him being there kind of proves it was real?