Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

But the Ewoks were already in a Stone Age?

I feel like the sophistication of their structures, as well as some important canon materials, do suggest they worked metal to a limited extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

suck my woke dick posted:

There's literally a Star Wars EU comic which has a crusty retired stormtrooper ranting about how the Empire might have lost, but at least the loving Ewoks were in the blast radius so they got bombed to the stone age from all the death star bits raining down on them. The other characters point out there was a victorious rebel fleet with big space guns flying around so they just blasted all the debris before impact. The stormtrooper breaks down :laugh:

the ewoks were already a stone age culture

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

But the Ewoks were already in a Stone Age?

goddammit

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I can't believe Dark Empire introduced Ewok commandos and then the franchise just never mentioned them again:

They had 20 years to expand on these guys, and wasted it on stuff like Boba Fett's Wing-Blast rocket pack and Darth Millennial.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Ewoks were an industrial civilization, the protagonists just stumbled upon some hippie resort.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Clearly, all the educated Ewoks were hired as Death Star contractors.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ewoks are just baby wookiees

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

ewoks are just baby wookiees

Youngling wookies

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

RBA Starblade posted:

Youngling wookies

Youkiees.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Robot Style posted:

I can't believe Dark Empire introduced Ewok commandos and then the franchise just never mentioned them again:

They had 20 years to expand on these guys, and wasted it on stuff like Boba Fett's Wing-Blast rocket pack and Darth Millennial.

I choose to believe that they were the ones responsible for the destroyed Star Destroyer above Endor at the end of RoS.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

suck my woke dick posted:

There's literally a Star Wars EU comic which has a crusty retired stormtrooper ranting about how the Empire might have lost, but at least the loving Ewoks were in the blast radius so they got bombed to the stone age from all the death star bits raining down on them. The other characters point out there was a victorious rebel fleet with big space guns flying around so they just blasted all the debris before impact. The stormtrooper breaks down :laugh:

Ewoks already were stone age??

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Blood Boils posted:

pretend I said bombed beyond the stone age into single celled organisms if it makes you feel better :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blood Boils posted:

This is a fun game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They are in the stoned age, you see

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
They do seem like they would appreciate shrooms

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like the sophistication of their structures, as well as some important canon materials, do suggest they worked metal to a limited extent

Those helmets are just plastic, stone flakes could easily puncture them

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 15, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The manderlorians and the jedis are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

E: for real though, manderlorians are straight-up the old fan notion of jedi as wandering warrior-monks who do good deeds sometimes, now mixed with Lucas’ understanding that they are also fixers and enforcers.

The show seems to recognise this too, given the comparison and contrast drawn with Din and Ashoka. They even have their signature outfits and weapons, and are scattered remnants of cultures betrayed and genocided by the Empire.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

I definitely think the fans of Trek focus more on the science-y details, though, than Star Wars fans. But I'm wildly generalizing.

That's what makes Star Trek into a fantasy series, ironically.

Star Wars generally has well-defined political systems, economies, religions, etc., and anything that's not terribly important to the story is passed over in silence. Starships are made in factories, and people buy them. They're generally pretty expensive, and their inner workings are too complicated for most people.

With Star Trek, everything is very poorly defined except basic character interactions and "reouting the inertial dampeners through the deflector dish phase arrays to the holodeck buffers" or whatever magical phrases. It's a fantasy series about techno-wizards and their God-computer.

This led to one of the subtler failings of The Last Jedi, where they suddenly dropped in a whole lot of baffling nonsense about starship mechanics: fuel levels, cloaking devices, how radar systems work, hyperspace ramming, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Robot Style posted:

That's definitely changed in the post-Abrams era of Trek. I worked on Season 3 of Discovery and we raised a lot of concerns about the plausibility of the turbolift void that's 10 times larger than the ship it's in. We were told "it's Star Trek, it doesn't matter".

drat, dude. Thank you for your service. I've been there. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The manderlorians and the jedis are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

E: for real though, manderlorians are straight-up the old fan notion of jedi as wandering warrior-monks who do good deeds sometimes, now mixed with Lucas’ understanding that they are also fixers and enforcers.

i agree but i really do wish you'd stop with the intentional misspellings

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s doing it to piss you off. You don’t ask someone to stop pissing you off. They’re only going to do it more

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This led to one of the subtler failings of The Last Jedi, where they suddenly dropped in a whole lot of baffling nonsense about starship mechanics: fuel levels, cloaking devices, how radar systems work, hyperspace ramming, etc.

It was Johnson trying to be too clever by half by going back to the wellspring of WW2 naval films again. But he only understands them as storytelling tropes and not necessarily as iconography.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

i agree but i really do wish you'd stop with the intentional misspellings

According to my sources, there are multiple viable spellings of the names of the aliens.

Mantis42 posted:

It was Johnson trying to be too clever by half by going back to the wellspring of WW2 naval films again. But he only understands them as storytelling tropes and not necessarily as iconography.

I don't think there's any "again"; the mechanics of the space battle in Episode 8 mostly contradict what we're shown in all previous films. But the bigger issue is what I was just referring to, with the basic character interactions supported by technobabble:

Holdo has a conflict with Poe because she's a prominent woman, he's a racial minority, and their mutual mom-figure Leia is in currently the hospital. With that being the drama, Holdo has cloaking devices because she's presented as being right, rather than the opposite. We're never even shown the cloaking devices, because they don't actually matter to the narrative being told.

Star Trek does the same thing with "EPS conduits" and whatever while the characters have stagey debates.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mantis42 posted:

Rian Johnson, the greatest disappointment since my son got his 5th DUI crashing his pickup into a Taco Bell while on parole?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad plinkett died. I only wish that I myself had killed him

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does Cinema Discusso care so much about Star Wars anyways?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

That's what makes Star Trek into a fantasy series, ironically.

Star Wars generally has well-defined political systems, economies, religions, etc., and anything that's not terribly important to the story is passed over in silence. Starships are made in factories, and people buy them. They're generally pretty expensive, and their inner workings are too complicated for most people.

With Star Trek, everything is very poorly defined except basic character interactions and "reouting the inertial dampeners through the deflector dish phase arrays to the holodeck buffers" or whatever magical phrases. It's a fantasy series about techno-wizards and their God-computer.

"Oh, that was easy", says Man, and for an encore he goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mantis42 posted:

Wars and stars are both big

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

Because it’s a property destined for contention. And the remnants of the old cined loving love contention and being contrarians.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mantis42 posted:

Star Wars has some movies, OP.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Because there's a lot to talk about. And we love talking about movies. It shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mantis42 posted:

Sir, this is the star wars thread

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Daisy Ridley’s untitled Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie reportedly delayed indefinitely, Steven Knight possibly exiting

I'd say I'm shocked, but given the recent track record of canceled films and projects...
I think that entitles you to a free ice cream at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reading through that it’s sad they lost Lindelof. I love his stuff

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mantis42 posted:

Seminal film for GenX and Xllenials.

Seems to be fading for the younger generation but alas, that is the way of things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Daisy Ridley’s untitled Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie reportedly delayed indefinitely, Steven Knight possibly exiting

I'd say I'm shocked, but given the recent track record of canceled films and projects...

For what it's worth, the Star Wars Leaks subreddit says this is from a notoriously unreliable source.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vinylshadow posted:

i honestly dont care if its true or not, jesus christ just make a loving movie!!! Don't even announce anything until its made!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah but think of how viral you can go with these announcements of nothing projects,

EVERYONE is talking about Star Wars.

On X.

The everything app.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's extremely good to just wildly flail in front of everyone for at least 7 years actually

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Or, conversely, you could execute a hard "no more movies ever" stance and then get people excited by breaking that stance in a decade's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The mando and grogu movie is currently being made so look forward to that.