Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shame Mae wasn’t there but Kiell getting owned constantly was very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol how did we end up with two Night Country threads
I posted mine like an hour before the other one, but it seems like the other one's getting more posts in it so far :shobon: If the mods want, I'll close mine. Just let me know. It would be silly to continue with 2 of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1747057283547152829
Pedro Pascal continues to be the GOAT.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Btw this was Rhea Seehorn’s last chance to win an Emmy for BCS and she lost to Jennifer Coolidge

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Btw this was Rhea Seehorn’s last chance to win an Emmy for BCS and she lost to Jennifer Coolidge

it sucks

hollywood really wanted that redemption story for Stiffler's mum

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I saw an x files banner on my Hulu and rotten tomatoes rates the last 2 seasons 60%+ so I figured it was worth watching.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

I saw an x files banner on my Hulu and rotten tomatoes rates the last 2 seasons 60%+ so I figured it was worth watching.

If nobody bites the first time you just gotta let the bit go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m just answering why I randomly decided I wanted to watch the new xfiles.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I saw a new Lonely Island movie on the front page of Hulu, Self Reliance.

Though it's not quite as good as the other Lonely Island movie on the front page of Hulu from a few years ago, Palm Springs, it was still a pretty good watch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s a lovely bit. It’s too obvious, you need people to at least not be sure whether or not you’re genuine. It also doesn’t give you anywhere to go, it’s not a bit you can build on.

Now, if you had gone with something like, “I want to watch that X-Files reboot that came out recently but I only ever watched a couple episodes of the old show when I was a kid. Is there a good list of just the plot-relevant episodes so I can get caught up before I watch the new stuff?” That’s a good bit, with a little skill you could make the next three pages of this thread about that.

But you did a bad bit, and instead of cutting bait when nobody bit you doubled down. So now everyone knows you’re not genuine. You aren’t going to get any bites and you’ve hosed up future bits because people will remember this.

You hosed up. You’re a disgrace to all intentionally annoying posters. Get the gently caress out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I AM GRANDO posted:

If I like True Detective, will I like Mare of Easttown? Very impressed with the proper Philly accents and the script/direction where multiple characters go out of their way to say “wah-dur” and show it off.

Kind of ambivalent over whether I should watch more after seeing the pilot. Is it an investigation-centric drama with some character comedy or a comedy drama that happens to have a murder in it? Got a genuine laugh out of me with multiple people mentioning the article about Mare in the local paper and the later reveal that it’s about her winning a basketball game in high school, plus a second when she thinks Guy Pierce is asking permission to call her Ladyhawk—just great shorthand for what kind of a place that town is and why she would hate it.

Got whiplash from the gravity of every scene with the murdered woman compared to the quirky small-town police stuff. That baby is hosed unless the friend and her mom adopt him.

I really dug Mare of Easttown, thought it was a really strong show and that Kate Winslett in particular was excellent. I wouldn't liken it to True Detective though, if anything I felt this was the American adaptation of Broadchurch that should have been made instead of Gracepoint.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finally caught up on the latest episode of Reacher and honestly this season is just incredibly mean spirited and not fun at all. Why is Reacher just murdering people in cold blood and also announcing in front of children that he's gonna go kill some more dudes? Feels bad man.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

It’s a lovely bit. It’s too obvious, you need people to at least not be sure whether or not you’re genuine. It also doesn’t give you anywhere to go, it’s not a bit you can build on.

Now, if you had gone with something like, “I want to watch that X-Files reboot that came out recently but I only ever watched a couple episodes of the old show when I was a kid. Is there a good list of just the plot-relevant episodes so I can get caught up before I watch the new stuff?” That’s a good bit, with a little skill you could make the next three pages of this thread about that.

But you did a bad bit, and instead of cutting bait when nobody bit you doubled down. So now everyone knows you’re not genuine. You aren’t going to get any bites and you’ve hosed up future bits because people will remember this.

You hosed up. You’re a disgrace to all intentionally annoying posters. Get the gently caress out.

Actually, this is a lovely bit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

For real though those two new seasons of The X-Files are really loving terrible, please don't waste your life watching them. Seasons 1-5 and the first movie are excellent and absolutely worth your time, however.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first episode of Night Country and while it wasn't bad I am more than a little worried about it being able to solve the various mysteries in a satisfactory manner.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Bear, Succession, and Beef won all the Emmys. This is your Emmy report.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Edward Mass posted:

The Bear, Succession, and Beef won all the Emmys. This is your Emmy report.

And Paul Walter Hauser called out Matt Cardona in his acceptance speech.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

And Paul Walter Hauser

Well deserved win for Black Bird IMO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beef would have been much better had it ended at episode 9.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nothing too surprising at the Emmys, but I'm very happy for my boy Paul Walter Hauser, I feel like Black Bird was somewhat underappreciated but that's an insanely well-deserved win.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

If I like True Detective, will I like Mare of Easttown? Very impressed with the proper Philly accents and the script/direction where multiple characters go out of their way to say “wah-dur” and show it off.

Kind of ambivalent over whether I should watch more after seeing the pilot. Is it an investigation-centric drama with some character comedy or a comedy drama that happens to have a murder in it? Got a genuine laugh out of me with multiple people mentioning the article about Mare in the local paper and the later reveal that it’s about her winning a basketball game in high school, plus a second when she thinks Guy Pierce is asking permission to call her Ladyhawk—just great shorthand for what kind of a place that town is and why she would hate it.

Got whiplash from the gravity of every scene with the murdered woman compared to the quirky small-town police stuff. That baby is hosed unless the friend and her mom adopt him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaKZi6p6sxg

This video is a 100% accurate representation of the show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kind of a random question, but a few weeks ago I was talking with some friends elsewhere about Monty Python. Some young whippersnappers in our group had never seen any MP and the rest of us olds were extolling the brilliance of Holy Grail. The oldest guy in our group, however, did "warn" that "British humor" might not be for everyone.

I had forgotten about all of this until a few hours ago when another friend told me to watch this old British sitcom called The IT Crowd. After two seasons, I'm a bit perplexed by what is meant by "British humor." The IT Crowd, apart from accents and some words, feels very much like a sitcom out of the god ol' USofA.

What is distinctive about British humor that might be unappealing to someone?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This video of Americans watching Bottom kinda sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_JNdv8esY

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

fez_machine posted:

it sucks

hollywood really wanted that redemption story for Stiffler's mum

Ugh Jennifer Coolidge was fine in White Lotus but she really wasn't bringing anything ground breaking. That's a big bummer. :( Maybe she can come back for El Camino 2 and win the Oscar!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NikkolasKing posted:

Kind of a random question, but a few weeks ago I was talking with some friends elsewhere about Monty Python. Some young whippersnappers in our group had never seen any MP and the rest of us olds were extolling the brilliance of Holy Grail. The oldest guy in our group, however, did "warn" that "British humor" might not be for everyone.

I had forgotten about all of this until a few hours ago when another friend told me to watch this old British sitcom called The IT Crowd. After two seasons, I'm a bit perplexed by what is meant by "British humor." The IT Crowd, apart from accents and some words, feels very much like a sitcom out of the god ol' USofA.

I tend to characterize it as being highly literate and wordplay-centric.

I remember the UK version of Whose Line had "Literary styles", which they dropped for the US version because people in this country can't read.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

British comedy tends to be very old fashioned. I once got into an argument with someone who argued that American comedy isn't good because we hadn't produced any great comedy double acts in decades. Like, double acts as in Laurel and Hardy. That is straight up vaudevillian thinking. And apparently the British kept doing that style of thing up to pretty recently.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hader and Odenkirk robbed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

The sort of people who say that think of "American humor" as Ow My Balls.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The IT Crowd was barely even 10 years ago, that's not old. You have to go back to like the 70s or 80s for the kind of dry humor some Americans don't get. That show was just a less lovely BBT.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The IT Crowd premiered 18 years ago next month

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And run until late 2013.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The IT Crowd has also been somewhat soured by the creator turning out to be an absolute freak weirdo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IRQ posted:

And run until late 2013.

???

It ran for a few years with only 6 episodes a season then had a special in 2013.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NikkolasKing posted:

They just mean that it's transphobic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

???

It ran for a few years with only 6 episodes a season then had a special in 2013.

Fair enough, but I don't see how it changes the point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

This video of Americans watching Bottom kinda sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_JNdv8esY

Idk how applicable it is, humour evolves over time and this seems comparable to the same people watching a 40 year old US comedy. It's exceptional when old comedies hold up nearing a half century later. At some point old shows become almost anthropological, you end up learning about an old cultures' attitudes and their preoccupations more than laughing at jokes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khanstant posted:

Idk how applicable it is, humour evolves over time and this seems comparable to the same people watching a 40 year old US comedy.

Literally aired at the same time as Friends, which is not exactly a show I would say alienates the gently caress out of younger Brits today (and that video clip is almost 10 years old too).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally aired at the same time as Friends, which is not exactly a show I would say alienates the gently caress out of younger Brits today (and that video clip is almost 10 years old too).

But Friends is an ancient product from an obsolete society. Like Seinfeld.
Might as well be from the 50s.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

But Friends is an ancient product from an obsolete society. Like Seinfeld.
Might as well be from the 50s.

What? Just because smart phones don't exist doesn't make it a relic. Friends has a very modern sensibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol that clip looked like it was the 70s. Friends is a good example because it's another show you wouldn't expect anyone to find funny anymore, if ever.