Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's been awhile since I've played Control but I thought the entity Jesse & Dylan called Polaris was originally contained within the Hedron, but then transferred into her consciousness when the Hiss finally invaded it. Which is why there's that whole false ending where Jesse succumbs to the Hiss before Polaris "boots up" in her brain again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Al! posted:

yeah im a basic bitch like that

Dynamite might be favorite too just for how out there it was in a game full of out there stuff

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
idk where im getting this from but i thought Polaris is basically Jesse's link to other Jesse's in other realities, or is in some way a reflection of herself and independent of hedron. was hedron pulled out of the specific slide that jesse and dylan used, or was it discovered on another slide? it seems like the AWE unleashed might have been different from the hiss/polaris stuff and was more like Annihilation dog boy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Al! posted:

the hra introduction tape where dr darling is only barely able to keep up his effervescent facade is probably the spookiest/my second favorite one

"Don't worry that HRAs aren't monitoring everything you do here in the building...we're doing that anyway

If you don't have an hra don't worry it'll be quick and painless... Lol just kidding
...We're making more..."

exquisite tea posted:

It's been awhile since I've played Control but I thought the entity Jesse & Dylan called Polaris was originally contained within the Hedron, but then transferred into her consciousness when the Hiss finally invaded it. Which is why there's that whole false ending where Jesse succumbs to the Hiss before Polaris "boots up" in her brain again.

well again we're not given a real answer but the evidence against hedron being dead since the ordinary awe is that it was still producing resonance, otherwise the HRAs wouldn't have worked. but this being an extradimensional entity maybe an empty husk could still do that? we don't know

Al! posted:

idk where im getting this from but i thought Polaris is basically Jesse's link to other Jesse's in other realities, or is in some way a reflection of herself and independent of hedron. was hedron pulled out of the specific slide that jesse and dylan used, or was it discovered on another slide? it seems like the AWE unleashed might have been different from the hiss/polaris stuff and was more like Annihilation dog boy

yeah hedron was found in the same slide jesse used in the ordinary awe

site fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 12, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The one where Darling is in full meltdown is a favorite one of mine. Dude spends the whole game trying to keep a neutral of not positive attitude for a situation that'd have most people breaking down and I felt that video really hit it home how serious it was.

Also his rockin scientist bod

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m a big fan of this one myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaBbHVMsrY

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Al! posted:

yeah im a basic bitch like that
Weird way to spell "my favorite Dr. Darling tape is the objectively best one"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dewgy posted:

I’m a big fan of this one myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaBbHVMsrY

Lmao

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the little side story between the two researchers in the background of Dr. Darling's presentations. There is stock footage of them in the abandoned wing, implying they've been working with him for a while. They look very tired of his antics. In one note the male researcher asks the woman out under the guise of studying cool rocks for work and in another she gently turns him down :3:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

rewatched a few of the dr darling videos and man, not only is he a great actor but he's got a killer body

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

site fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 12, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How would a man whose been trapped in the Dark Place for decades know the word swole!?!?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

How would a man whose been trapped in the Dark Place for decades know the word swole!?!?

Uhhh it was a term in Finland in the 70s

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

Uhhh it was a term in Finland in the 70s

My god

This is the most mind blowing thing in this thread

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

not too surprising if you know Tom

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

deep down the poretta rabbit hole. did you know that he got horribly injured in a bar fight and can barely see out of his left eye? he got 600 large suing the bar

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Since Wake dissappeared in 2010, there should have been a scene people explaining to him Trump won, Bitcoin and NFTs. He would have thought he is still in the dark place after that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ulio posted:

Since Wake dissappeared in 2010, there should have been a scene people explaining to him Trump won, Bitcoin and NFTs. He would have thought he is still in the dark place after that.
He's a rich white guy, he might be into that poo poo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

those things were all failed attempts to escape the dark place

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Director Stoyvasin DLC for control was crazy. The part where you had to collect the eel bowel and hound bowel was nauseating

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mr Scratch is basically an Alan Wake NFT

or is Alan a Scratch NFT

hmm...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
taken are what you get when scratch adds slurp juice to copies of return

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I have never really understood why Alan Wake is so famous and admired when he seriously seems to just write airport books. People barely seem to care about authors nowadays, I doubt that most people out on the street could name one person that is currently writing fiction.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
poking around detective fiction 2006-2010 on google, looks like michael connely's bosch series was coming out, lee child's reacher books, and 2008-10 is when stieg larssons girl with the dragon tattoo series was coming out, and i at least remember that one being a big deal

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Based on the names that Nightingale calls him (Dan Brown, Tom Clancy), he was indeed a Barnes & Noble Middle Shelf Detective Fiction Author. The inspiration for Alan likely continues by matching the trajectory of those authors. Big in their heyday, made a huge splash with the first novel of what became a series they were tied to by the dollar bill. Alan came to resent his money maker. He also calls him names of authors like HP Lovecraft and Stephen King who didn't write detective fiction but instead started by penning short stories for newspapers like Alan.

Remedy: It's a joke, but it's serious! sisu!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 13, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm up to Initiation 2 now, and Ahti, what are you doing in the Dark Place? Why are you in the Dark Place, Ahti? This throws a serious wrench into my "he's an avatar of the Board/Oldest House" theory, because they wouldn't be there. It's also semi-creepy that Alan has the word-for-word exact reaction to him that Jesse did. Yes, okay, he is a friendly face, but why does everyone think that the first time they meet him? Does he make you think that?

They're doing a remarkably good job of showing, rather than telling, that Alan has gone absolutely bugfuck insane. "Oh, a manifestation of the fictional detective I made up showed up in this place made of my own subconcious impulses and told me about a murder cult, what a remarkably good idea, I think I should write them into reality and add stuff about them summoning a dark god". I love all the incidental details on hosed Up Nightmare New York, from the ads to the graffiti to how every official-looking piece of signage actually has text from a manuscript from a previous game on it (including American Nightmare!). Really wonderful design work.

Am I meant to find it significant that Alan gets dragged out of the Dark Place -- which, holy poo poo okay, didn't expect that to happen in Chapter 2 -- in his AN outfit?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm up to Initiation 2 now, and Ahti, what are you doing in the Dark Place? Why are you in the Dark Place, Ahti? This throws a serious wrench into my "he's an avatar of the Board/Oldest House" theory, because they wouldn't be there. It's also semi-creepy that Alan has the word-for-word exact reaction to him that Jesse did. Yes, okay, he is a friendly face, but why does everyone think that the first time they meet him? Does he make you think that?

They're doing a remarkably good job of showing, rather than telling, that Alan has gone absolutely bugfuck insane. "Oh, a manifestation of the fictional detective I made up showed up in this place made of my own subconcious impulses and told me about a murder cult, what a remarkably good idea, I think I should write them into reality and add stuff about them summoning a dark god". I love all the incidental details on hosed Up Nightmare New York, from the ads to the graffiti to how every official-looking piece of signage actually has text from a manuscript from a previous game on it (including American Nightmare!). Really wonderful design work.

Am I meant to find it significant that Alan gets dragged out of the Dark Place -- which, holy poo poo okay, didn't expect that to happen in Chapter 2 -- in his AN outfit?

Ahti is pretty much all but explicitly confirmed to be a Finnish god of rivers/water in Control, and is not actually tied to the Board or the Oldest house, it just happens to be one of the places he does regular maintenance as a janitor. I mean, the Dark Place itself is covered up by a lake after all and is described as an ocean, is it such a surprise Ahti is hanging around and inside of it?

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 16, 2024

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Control 2 is a strategy game where you have to manage your budget and employees so that you can deploy the optimal amount of spooky fairy tales with tape records and dolls around the world.

i'd play x-control

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I would also like to play XCONTROL. Especially if they find some bullshit justification to give out the superpowers (oh Jesse's loaning you the power or something blah blah whatever), just because if you could handle a baddie in cover by telekinetically ripping the cover out of the ground and throwing it into the face of one of his buddies, that would loving own.

Evil Kit posted:

Ahti is pretty much all but explicitly confirmed to be a Finnish god of rivers/water in Control, and is not actually tied to the Board or the Oldest house, it just happens to be one of the places he does regular maintenance as a janitor. I mean, the Dark Place itself is covered up by a lake after all and is described as an ocean, is it such a surprise Ahti is hanging around and inside of it?
That's just weird to me. I dunno why that's the line I draw, but, like... I expect Tor and Odin to be parautilitarians who blasted their own minds out on magic moonshine, not literally Thor and Odin, y'know?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

CapnAndy posted:

I would also like to play XCONTROL. Especially if they find some bullshit justification to give out the superpowers (oh Jesse's loaning you the power or something blah blah whatever), just because if you could handle a baddie in cover by telekinetically ripping the cover out of the ground and throwing it into the face of one of his buddies, that would loving own.

That's just weird to me. I dunno why that's the line I draw, but, like... I expect Tor and Odin to be parautilitarians who blasted their own minds out on magic moonshine, not literally Thor and Odin, y'know?

They're probably both.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Tor and Odin are people who are willing to do the stupid self destructive poo poo necessary to become Gods, Ahti is a god who is going through some stuff right now.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

The rest of control exists and somehow Ahti is the weird one? Fair enough lol.

Fwiw I don't think Tor and Odin are actual gods, just a pair of swedes with actual psychic seer powers they can trace back to their ancestors. They just happen to really like Norse mythology.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

The rest of control exists and somehow Ahti is the weird one? Fair enough lol.
I may make the rules, but I don't understand them.

Also I got to switch back to Saga which means I've been to Alan's apartment, except no I haven't. AW1 made me do the bedroom-to-study samba way too many times to not have that layout memorized, AW2! That wasn't even remotely close! Genuinely unsure if I'm meant to accept it as a "it was always like this" retcon or the Dark Place has also hosed up Alan's floorplan.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Jessie is the source of the resonance now that hedron is cracked.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Benagain posted:

Ahti is a god who is going through some stuff right now.

I imagine it must be pretty weird being able to do/be anything and you will live forever.... seems like doing something menial like cleaning might make you feel a bit more normal. Ahti is just one of us really

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm serious though I will drive to Finland with a VHS tape of every time Alan Wake 1 made me leave the study and go to the bedroom next door on the same side of the hallway or vice versa and throw it at Remedy employees while screaming "EXPLAIN THIS", I'll do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CapnAndy posted:

I may make the rules, but I don't understand them.

Also I got to switch back to Saga which means I've been to Alan's apartment, except no I haven't. AW1 made me do the bedroom-to-study samba way too many times to not have that layout memorized, AW2! That wasn't even remotely close! Genuinely unsure if I'm meant to accept it as a "it was always like this" retcon or the Dark Place has also hosed up Alan's floorplan.

This bothered the poo poo out of me. Where did his golden dual berettas writer's award go? Did Mr Scratch throw it out? :mad:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

I'm serious though I will drive to Finland with a VHS tape of every time Alan Wake 1 made me leave the study and go to the bedroom next door on the same side of the hallway or vice versa and throw it at Remedy employees while screaming "EXPLAIN THIS", I'll do it.

Alice got a different apartment after returning to New York

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The apartment was renovated, boom done, explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Alice changed a few light bulbs and now the whole layout’s different. That’s just how it works!