Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can’t imagine not pooping three times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I have 4.48 poops per day just in PYF alone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For anyone wanting to time their own digestive system, it's a pretty straightforward experiment to eat some corn and then count the hours until you see it again.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I can’t imagine not pooping three times a day.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Powered Descent posted:

For anyone wanting to time their own digestive system, it's a pretty straightforward experiment to eat some corn and then count the hours until you see it again.

There's a paper on doing this with legos in the Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health from 2018: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jpc.14309

tl;dr:

Andrew Tagg, Damian Roland, Grace SY Leo, Katie Knight, Henry Goldstein, Tessa Davis posted:

This international, multicentre trial identified that small objects, such as those swallowed by children, are likely to pass in 1–3 days without complication.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

it's like 6-8 hours for food to get through you

my personal theory about taco bell is that it's the only fast food with a significant amount of fiber in it so people who eat a lot of fast food aren't used to receiving any fiber and their body desperately grabs on to the fiber it gets form taco bell and uses it to make a big digestive push

i read that on the internet once so it's probably true

It is entirely dependent on genetics, what/how much you ate, your hydration level, your activity level, etc. Some forms of Staph food poisoning can make barf in as little as 30 minutes after you ate it.
Also idk about the fiber thing, reheated/old rice is one of the most common causes of food poisoning. Combine that with taco bells bad reputation and potential spiciness, I feel like taco bell probably gives people a good amount of food poisoning (but people are more aware of it).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Powered Descent posted:

I run this “experiment” often and can pass the corn, looking same as it did when it went in, in about 4 hours. I’m told this isn’t normal though.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it's very likely that taco bell is giving people food poisoning, food prep safety is pretty strongly enforced in most of the west and compliance for food safety is a lot easier and cheaper than having to deal with a bunch of locations getting shut down. When people get food poisoning it's a lot worse than bad times on the toilet, it's legitimately more miserable than most people think.

I'm pretty sure spicy food does affect digestion for some people though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The extra fiber theory makes sense to me. In a sort of related question, you can see your breath in cold weather; could you see your farts?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Leave posted:

The extra fiber theory makes sense to me. In a sort of related question, you can see your breath in cold weather; could you see your farts?

Depends how wet your farts are - there is a lot of moisture in your breath.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think there's enough water vapour in farts for that, they're mostly nitrogen and oxygen with a bit of methane iirc

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I don't think there's enough water vapour in farts for that, they're mostly nitrogen and oxygen with a bit of methane iirc

fresh feces steams when it's cold enough out. Therefore, a point exists on the shart gradient where sufficient moisture has been achieved. However, it's probably pretty brown by then

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mythbusters did a "can you see farts on infrared" and the answer was no. I assume it's the same deal here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm still waiting for the answer to my extremely important fart question a few pages ago, about whether smelly farts fell hotter on your rear end because of chemistry, temperature, or volume

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think if you used an MWIR camera rather than the usual LWIR you could see the methane in a fart, but i dunno how expensive of a camera you'd need to use. They use MWIR imaging for detecting methane in the atmosphere.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

I'm still waiting for the answer to my extremely important fart question a few pages ago, about whether smelly farts fell hotter on your rear end because of chemistry, temperature, or volume

I think that's because those farts are smaller and warm up more as they pass more slowly through you but I'm not sure.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Are there any Poker courses for free with a similar quality to this ?: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/15-s50-how-to-win-at-texas-holdem-poker-january-iap-2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

feedmyleg posted:

Mythbusters did a "can you see farts on infrared" and the answer was no.

Wait what? My brain is telling me the exact opposite happened.

Quick! In your timeline, did Nelson Mandela become the president of South Africa? :ohdear:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait what? My brain is telling me the exact opposite happened.

It was a definite no. There was a viral video with farts being caught on infrared and they busted it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

feedmyleg posted:

It was a definite no. There was a viral video with farts being caught on infrared and they busted it.

Well poo poo!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I would kill myself if I had to poo poo more than once a week. What a waste of time and energy. Also it's gross.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

I would kill myself if I had to poo poo more than once a week. What a waste of time and energy. Also it's gross.

Think of all that time the boss isn't paying you to poo poo that you're leaving on the table.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I'm pretty sure spicy food does affect digestion for some people though.

I have a mild… I don’t even know, incompatibility?, with Habanero (but not e.g. Jalapeño) which leads to something not-really-but-similar-to diarrhea. But other chilies seem to be ok.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

peppers are weird. red bell peppers absolutely destroy me, like hours and hours of diarrhea ,but green bell peppers, hatches, and any hot pepper, ghost, thai, sichuan, whatever, are totally fine.

:iiam:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My logon screen started showing Chinese characters like this picture. I only noticed it today. What gives? No VPN, no changes to settings, language set to English. It was English previously on this screen so I don't know why it has suddenly changed.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Mine showed Finnish text yesterday.
Good to see that I'm not the only one seeing weird text

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EricBauman posted:

Mine showed Finnish text yesterday.
Good to see that I'm not the only one seeing weird text

I feel you. I'm finnish and that would be annoying to me. My computers have always been in english.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Microsoft has decided to you should learn Chinese! It's always best to listen to what Microsoft thinks is best for you

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Qubee posted:

My logon screen started showing Chinese characters like this picture. I only noticed it today. What gives? No VPN, no changes to settings, language set to English. It was English previously on this screen so I don't know why it has suddenly changed.

Mine was in French and the picture was also of a place in France, coincidence???????

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Mine was in French too. Everyone is learning about all these exotic new cultures

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Taco Bell's reputation for GI events is mostly just racism about Mexican food and fiber content in my experience and opinion. I eat a lot of texmex being from Texas and Taco Bell doesn't cause any significant differences in my system than any other fast food place. But people from elsewhere sure act like it's super significant.

Also red and green bell peppers are the same plant. It's wild that it's that different for that one poster.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a thread or place for people who have opened a small business and are looking for help or advice on all the day to day things that it entails? I couldn't find anything like that in the BFC forum.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does there exist a USB device that will connect a SD card to a USB port, without the computer/device thinking it's a hub? More weird complications due to DJ gear; I have a set of USB sticks and SD cards that I plug into CDJs/controllers etc. to access my music. Some controllers have SD card ports and some don't; any SD card reader I've tried to use, the CDJ thinks it's a USB hub and won't read the card.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Fists Up posted:

Is there a thread or place for people who have opened a small business and are looking for help or advice on all the day to day things that it entails? I couldn't find anything like that in the BFC forum.

While there's no thread for it that I can see, you could just make a thread about it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My understanding is that LED lights emit little to no UV radiation. Does this mean they will not degrade artwork? I have an LED grow light setup and I would like to hang a poster nearby that is worth a fair amount, and I would prefer for it not to fade away.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

If it's worth money, why not frame it with UV protective glass?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My understanding is that LED lights emit little to no UV radiation. Does this mean they will not degrade artwork? I have an LED grow light setup and I would like to hang a poster nearby that is worth a fair amount, and I would prefer for it not to fade away.

I don't know the specific photochemistry involved, but my understanding is that any kind of photon is capable of triggering light-sensitive reactions (such as fading colors in artwork); it's just that some wavelengths are more reactive than others. In other words, visible light will probably also degrade your art, just not as quickly as UV because UV is higher-energy. Of course, if you block visible light, then you can't see the art. :v:

Which is all to say that I'm a huge pedant, and your theory sounds broadly sane to me. Though I concur with Ironhead that if this art really is that valuable to you, it's probably worth investing in more than one layer of protection.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hoping I can get some help on this issue regarding birdhouses.

I have a metal pole in my backyard with two birdhouses on it, but it's in bad shape. Installed by the previous owner long before I moved in.

It's leaning and rusting so much it's time for it to go, but I'm worried about the birds. Both bird houses are occupied. It looks like a robin in one, and some sort of standard small, brown, bird in the other, probably some sort of chickadee or thrush. I don't know the mating habits of birds in general, so I can't say for sure if there are consistently two birds in each house? But each spring, both bird houses seem to have eggs and, eventually, hatchlings; so at least at TIMES both birds have mates with them.

What's the best way and time of year to take this down? I plan to remove the bird houses first, but I'm afraid at least one of them probably won't survive. It's old and rotting. I plan to have a new birdhouse (or 2, odds are the other one isn't in great shape, either) ready to go to mount on a replacement pole I install, but I'm not sure if I should transfer the nesting material from the old ones into the new ones, or just leave them empty and let the birds do their own thing?

My thought is that early to mid spring is best, when plenty of birds might be out looking for new nests? And there will be an abundance of nesting material after the snow melts, but before the birds start shacking up and laying eggs.

The other option I guess would be fall, after the new hatchlings become fledglings and leave the nests?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hoping I can get some help on this issue regarding birdhouses.

Snip

I think your best bet is to replace them in the fall after the babies have fledged and the houses are empty. Robins nest super early so if you wait until early spring you run the risk of the house being claimed already.

In your place I'd just toss the nesting material. Most birds start fresh every year anyway and the old material might have pests in it.

Good on you for thinking so much about your backyard bird friends. Consider feeders and a bath as well to make your yard a bird paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Both of those lay fairly early, if you remove the nests before March you should be set for not disrupting eggs but you might mess with their cycle. The poster above talking about the fall is your safest best bet but mid summer is likely late enough too, birds like this fledge fairly quickly.

If you want to leave it up for now but are worried it'll fall, consider measuring and cutting a temporary support pole for the current one or buying some attachable pole stabilizers - the ones I'm thinking of look kinda like spider legs you can slide on and set into the ground.

Edit: apparently robins are weird and it depends on where you are, they fledge in 2ish weeks but lay anytime between April and August.