Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deformed Church posted:

They should have just had another helmet under his regular helmet, and then his face under that one, so at least it would be lore accurate.

That's been lore accurate since the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAOo8nE8_Jg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Arc Hammer posted:

That's been lore accurate since the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAOo8nE8_Jg

:thejoke:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Huh, then I don't get it. Was the widespread criticism of the character removing his helmet just down to the fact that he mostly doesn't remove it during the games?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'd say he should wear it in combat and/or doing space poo poo but I really don't care about him taking it off outside of that, and didn't like the implication from the S1 ending that he was gonna be Full Helmet Robot Man for a while.

Still, if the show lasts long enough to reach the 343GS section he'd be out of his mind to take it off with all *that* poo poo running around..! That's really the only reason I'm sticking with the series, I want the 200% body horror that ensues when the ring's secret is laid bare.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Open Source Idiom posted:

Huh, then I don't get it. Was the widespread criticism of the character removing his helmet just down to the fact that he mostly doesn't remove it during the games?

I mean I think a large part of the criticism of the show was driven by "it not the game" as though Halo the game would provide a compelling ten seasons of television. I think the most valid criticism was spending so much time with some kid who stumbled into the plot. But master chief loving, taking his helmet off, the story focusing on how hosed up the unsc is, that all ruled.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Again, no issue with him taking off his helmet, I just think Pablo Schreiber kinda sucks in the role.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Again, no issue with him taking off his helmet, I just think Pablo Schreiber kinda sucks in the role.

Oh no, sorry, I got that from your previous post. But I've seen a lot of people complaining and I wasn't keen to put it down to simple reactionary attitudes about videogame adaptations. Even though, yeah, that was probably the most likely reason.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pablo negotiating his contract "Helmet off and helmet wet"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's one of the many many many things that make this Master Chief quite unlike the one we know and love. I do think people make a particularly big deal of the helmet, probably just because it's quite easy to fixate on (alongside Master Chief getting laid) as something that makes this #NotMyMasterChief, as opposed to some of their other weird characterisation and funky stuff which is harder to articulate. It's worth remembering that Halo as a franchise is mostly bad anyway, especially the bits of it that have come out in the last decade or so, so the venn diagram of people who care strongly about Halo in 2023/4 and people who are good at media criticism is basically two separate circles.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Yeah, I think the 'Master Chief's helmet off / he fucks = show sucks' crowd are mostly fixating on it because they don't quite have the media literacy to summarise what bothers them about the show.

The games have cool setting, cool aesthetic design and a power fantasy style of gameplay that really doesn't translate well into a television series, so they've had to make choices.

If you'd focus on what people say they are after - you'd either have a lot of extensive battle scenes that would blow the budget and get quite repetitive with little substance, or you'd focus on a whole heap of unintelligible lore from novel's about alien species, which honestly never worked well in the games either.

I can see why they've decided to make it more of a personal story for Chief - the hosed up UNSC / Child soldier bits of the lore are inherently more interesting to make a longform drama out of, and ultimately can do much more with the same budget.

Keen to see how the negative feedback has influenced the second season. I feel the show is either going to be redeemed or become terrible.

I remember there was that web show around Halo 4s release that followed a bunch of UNSC kids in training. In the final episodes Chief showed up and was just there as a force of nature to save the kids. It worked, because he was just a guest character and they could focus all the drama elsewhere. But that doesn't apply to a high budget tv show that needs it's titular Mr Halo as the main character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo: The TV Series - "he fucks"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yeah, I think the 'Master Chief's helmet off / he fucks = show sucks' crowd are mostly fixating on it because they don't quite have the media literacy to summarise what bothers them about the show.

The games have cool setting, cool aesthetic design and a power fantasy style of gameplay that really doesn't translate well into a television series, so they've had to make choices.

If you'd focus on what people say they are after - you'd either have a lot of extensive battle scenes that would blow the budget and get quite repetitive with little substance, or you'd focus on a whole heap of unintelligible lore from novel's about alien species, which honestly never worked well in the games either.

I can see why they've decided to make it more of a personal story for Chief - the hosed up UNSC / Child soldier bits of the lore are inherently more interesting to make a longform drama out of, and ultimately can do much more with the same budget.

Keen to see how the negative feedback has influenced the second season. I feel the show is either going to be redeemed or become terrible.

I remember there was that web show around Halo 4s release that followed a bunch of UNSC kids in training. In the final episodes Chief showed up and was just there as a force of nature to save the kids. It worked, because he was just a guest character and they could focus all the drama elsewhere. But that doesn't apply to a high budget tv show that needs it's titular Mr Halo as the main character.

I think you could do a really cool season/miniseries essentially doing the plot from Halo: Reach, and have a similar vibe where Master Chief doesn't show up until the end. Also it's the best Halo game

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Burn Goreman had a really nifty coat in this show

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arc Hammer posted:

Hmm, if only there were some expressive, talkative sidekick who travels around with Chief to provide levity and emotion where body language isn't enough.

Shame such a character doesn't exist.

Monkey's paw curls

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I think you could do a really cool season/miniseries essentially doing the plot from Halo: Reach, and have a similar vibe where Master Chief doesn't show up until the end. Also it's the best Halo game

i don't remember any sex in that game though?!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ratjaculation posted:

i don't remember any sex in that game though?!!

I remember a lot of teabagging

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Personally Halo 2 is the best game specifically because of all the weird alien politicking. The Arbiter's levels mostly suck but he's just a way more interesting character than Chief and he has an actual arc in the game while Chief is going around doing action movie stunts. And he's voiced by Keith David.

Put Keith David in this show as the Arbiter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The helmet thing is really just a distraction from the fact that few people actually like the show. If it was legit good I don't really think anyone but the most stringent nerds would care. I always thought being cute with the helmet stuff was stupid, there isn't really a reason why Chief shouldn't take off his helmet and although I like the games, that character is not loving Judge Dredd and really does not have enough going on to be able to carry a show with a helmet on outside of action scenes (which are realistically going to be few and far between).

I know Pablo is a great actor, he was the best one on American Gods and he was going up against loving Ian McShane and Peter Stormare on that show, so I don't really blame him - but they're not gonna win anyone over with the helmet arguments if the actual quality of the writing and plotting doesn't massively improve in season 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only helmet argument you need to make is Karl Urban’s Dredd. Incredible movie, helmet never comes off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think the show is pretty drat good. I never played the games and don't give a poo poo about the helmet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't call it good, personally, but there's such a lack of science fiction shows with a large budget that I'll take anything watchable, even if it does end up being the least interesting version of a story Ive heard twice.

It would be neat if they mention other Spartan teams during the battle of Reach rather than leaving everything up to Silver Team.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only helmet argument you need to make is Karl Urban’s Dredd. Incredible movie, helmet never comes off.

Honestly the reason it annoys me is the V for Vendetta argument.

'There is a face beneath this mask, but it isn't me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it, or the bones beneath that.'

Masterchief, like Dredd, is one of those characters that is recognizable by the mask. From an out of universe perspective, the mask is his face in that he is never seen on screen through 6+ games without it.

This is even alluded to in narritive. In Halo 2 he arrives at an award ceremony for the events of the first game not in dress uniform, but in full armor. While this is obviously done for gameplay purposes, it also serves the narritive that he is more comfortable in armor than out, that this is how he sees himself.

If you're doing a halo tv show, there isn't a lot of reason to deviate from that character trait. Master chief works in part because he is this hulking armored demon, not a whiny 20 something who won't put his helmet on during a loving gunfight.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Halo the show is fun when I am drunk and high and wish for it to continue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I kind of liked the I guess purposeful uncanny valley they hit with Cortana in the show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My biggest complaint about the show is it needs to get loving moving. Expensive streaming shows only get a few seasons and at this rate we wouldn't even get past the first game before it gets cancelled, probably on a cliffhanger.

It's hilarious when people talk about plot elements from the last few games and how they're going to handle them. I think we can safely disregard that lol.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

My biggest complaint about the show is it needs to get loving moving. Expensive streaming shows only get a few seasons and at this rate we wouldn't even get past the first game before it gets cancelled, probably on a cliffhanger.

It's hilarious when people talk about plot elements from the last few games and how they're going to handle them. I think we can safely disregard that lol.

I have not watched the show at all, but I'm going to predict that the second season ends with a shot of the Autumn arriving at Halo, and then the show gets cancelled because Paramount is literally months away from death itself now. lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The TV show falls into the same problem as the 343i produced games in the series. The Bungie games literally do not give a drat about the extended book lore beyond what Microsoft mandated they include. Any references to the series bible or world tidbits are just there for flavour while the greater context really does not matter at all to what happens in the games themselves.

The books are there for people who want them and that's honestly fine. They can get weird and the way that many of the books take the inherently hosed up nature of fascist child soldiers and play it completely straight is concerning but it's ultimately harmless.

But then you have the 343i games that pretty much require you to have background information from the lore to understand what is happening. The TV show has a similar problem. It needs the audience to understand the wider context of the setting because it isn't an FPS game, but it is rather paralyzed when it comes to figuring out what background information should be prioritized. So you end up with the whole storyline about the Insurrectionists that goes on forever while the war with the Covenant almost feels like an afterthought rather than a 25 year long act of genocide that is pushing humanity to extinction.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

nine-gear crow posted:

I have not watched the show at all, but I'm going to predict that the second season ends with a shot of the Autumn arriving at Halo, and then the show gets cancelled because Paramount is literally months away from death itself now. lol

That would be exceptionally hosed up. My guess is we'll finish the season with Chief and whoever else deep in a facility and suddenly there are these weird noises and whats that coming out of the walls!? Cut to black. Cancelled.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think we're going to get John Halo's raw rear end in frame as he solemnly overlooks Halo. Renewed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Where's the mod that puts the Master Chief's rear end in the games?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Where's the mod that puts the Master Chief's rear end in the games?

Play Halo Reach, pick the female Spartan booty type and set your firefight voice to be Chief.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

counterfeitsaint posted:

That would be exceptionally hosed up. My guess is we'll finish the season with Chief and whoever else deep in a facility and suddenly there are these weird noises and whats that coming out of the walls!? Cut to black. Cancelled.

No way they get that far. OP has the right prediction. Shot of Halo and then cancelled.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

Personally Halo 2 is the best game specifically because of all the weird alien politicking. The Arbiter's levels mostly suck but he's just a way more interesting character than Chief and he has an actual arc in the game while Chief is going around doing action movie stunts. And he's voiced by Keith David.

Put Keith David in this show as the Arbiter.

Halo 2 is also as big a step forward in FPS games as the first one. Having played it recently on Steam, it feels like it was made this year. It's also way better than Halo 1.

Halo Reach is pretty good too but video games are not Before Reach and After.

I get the feeling they took Chief's helmet off immediately partly as a signal flare that this wasn't just going to be a live action version of one of the video games.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Nah, H2 introduced Jackal snipers, which were absolute dogshit (enter into a new area, immediately die, no warning), plus it was a complete chore on Legendary (gently caress the Cairo cargo bay forever). I’d rank ‘em 3 > 1 > Reach > 2 > ODST

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Nah, H2 introduced Jackal snipers, which were absolute dogshit (enter into a new area, immediately die, no warning), plus it was a complete chore on Legendary (gently caress the Cairo cargo bay forever). I’d rank ‘em 3 > 1 > Reach > 2 > ODST

This is how I'd rank the classic games as well. gently caress that one alley with the jackal snipers though, holy poo poo. You know the one.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Caros posted:

Honestly the reason it annoys me is the V for Vendetta argument.

'There is a face beneath this mask, but it isn't me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it, or the bones beneath that.'

Masterchief, like Dredd, is one of those characters that is recognizable by the mask. From an out of universe perspective, the mask is his face in that he is never seen on screen through 6+ games without it.

This is even alluded to in narritive. In Halo 2 he arrives at an award ceremony for the events of the first game not in dress uniform, but in full armor. While this is obviously done for gameplay purposes, it also serves the narritive that he is more comfortable in armor than out, that this is how he sees himself.

If you're doing a halo tv show, there isn't a lot of reason to deviate from that character trait. Master chief works in part because he is this hulking armored demon, not a whiny 20 something who won't put his helmet on during a loving gunfight.

Happy someone made this argument, I was about to write something similar.

I am not even a "Halo guy" but I understand that the helmet is a big part of the character, ie it's a symbol of how he is "dehumanized" and that IS important. It's easy enough to just brush that aside with "people just want it because it's cool" and while that is certainly a factor it really ignores the thematic weight of how Master Chief is presented in Halo.
Does that mean he would need to wear the helmet in all scenes in a TV show? No, of course not but if you are smart you would never clearly show his face, keep it in the shadows, use camera angles/tricks to (mostly) hide it etc.
It would actually make the whole child soldier/trauma angle work a lot better because then you could slowly reveal more and more of him as his character grows, ie the more he actually becomes "human" again the more we get to see him as person too.
It's really such basic storytelling that the question shouldn't be why should be have had the helmet in S1, the question in every single scene should have been "why shouldn't he have his helmet? What do we want to communicate to the audience in the scenes where his face is (partially) visible?"
I get that writers (producers) are always scared of their protagonist being too much of an enigma for the audience but considering that they already have so many other additional characters getting screen time in S1 I don't even see the need to make Master Chief the audience surrogate, certainly not in S1. We should have followed Master Chief from the outside THROUGH the other characters, him being "alien" to the audience could have worked to the shows advantage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I just don't think Master Chief is anywhere close to a strong enough character to be able to pull this off like all the other masked characters mentioned on this page. It works in the games because you are him and most of the narrative is funneled through Cortana, but a TV show is purely about narrative and if you want him to be a character he has to actually be a character.

Nothing that this show is doing is anywhere out of line with the Fall of Reach novel where he doesn't wear a helmet throughout most of it. Trying to tie it to thematic reasoning is also a real stretch since he takes off his loving helmet in the games! Halo isn't close to saying anything about authority or identity in the same way that something like Dredd is.

But they want to keep Master Chief as an "iconic" marketing image and not muddy the waters by adding a face to that which makes a lot of sense for a video game. The idea to make the show mostly about other characters witnessing Chief from the outside is novel, but they obviously want to have their cake and eat it too because... it's Halo. If you want to adapt this poo poo you really just have three characters of note to build a narrative around and they're all the main characters here. Chief is a collection of one-liners in the games. He barely has any character to speak of besides "heroic". You cannot build a 10 hour show around that if you want him as the main character.

That's not me saying that they necessarily did a good job with his character in the show, but I always thought the notion that it's some great sin to have him take the helmet off was total bullshit.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 16, 2024

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

LinkesAuge posted:

Happy someone made this argument, I was about to write something similar.

I am not even a "Halo guy" but I understand that the helmet is a big part of the character, ie it's a symbol of how he is "dehumanized" and that IS important. It's easy enough to just brush that aside with "people just want it because it's cool" and while that is certainly a factor it really ignores the thematic weight of how Master Chief is presented in Halo.
Does that mean he would need to wear the helmet in all scenes in a TV show? No, of course not but if you are smart you would never clearly show his face, keep it in the shadows, use camera angles/tricks to (mostly) hide it etc.
It would actually make the whole child soldier/trauma angle work a lot better because then you could slowly reveal more and more of him as his character grows, ie the more he actually becomes "human" again the more we get to see him as person too.
It's really such basic storytelling that the question shouldn't be why should be have had the helmet in S1, the question in every single scene should have been "why shouldn't he have his helmet? What do we want to communicate to the audience in the scenes where his face is (partially) visible?"
I get that writers (producers) are always scared of their protagonist being too much of an enigma for the audience but considering that they already have so many other additional characters getting screen time in S1 I don't even see the need to make Master Chief the audience surrogate, certainly not in S1. We should have followed Master Chief from the outside THROUGH the other characters, him being "alien" to the audience could have worked to the shows advantage.

Chief's silhouetted dick could be used in the sex scene

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

master chief? more like master beef :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Master Chief has a little Spartan helmet on his dick in the sex scene