Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Nerdietalk posted:

The Switch version of 13S is also notable for giving characters different skills for different mechs. The normal version of 13S really let you spam sentries into victory, but scaling that down and giving everyone compelling mechanics to utilize really adds a new wonderful layer to the game.

This was also patched into the PS4 version a few months later, so it's not Switch-exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Oh nice, I fully thought they were still different experiences.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eva fans sign off! If you are a fan of Eva who is way cooler than her lame husband and son, quote this post.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you want a GL visual novel I do not recommend UsoNatsu.

Its OK. Whole thing is overwritten and there felt like 5 natural stopping point for the story but it just kept dragging on. Compounding this is the game uses spine for animated sprites extensively, and sometimes the game will pause to load up characters. Or when it does a flashback to a previous scene, which it does many of, it straight up switches to a loading screen, often for just to repeat only one throwaway line. It has the most loading screens I ever seen in a VN lol. Probably would have helped if I had it on my SSD, and really the load times were never long, its just funny because I can't really think of any other VNs where i experience this.

Only interesting character is the problematic teacher. She vapes.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 3, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The entire game is 3gb according to steam, they couldn't just cache everything except the music into memory? lol

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Snooze Cruise posted:

Probably would have helped if I had it on my SSD, and really the load times were never long, its just funny because I can't really think of any other VNs where i experience this.

AI Somnium has a few funny moments where it calls up a flashback section in-engine with noticeable load time, for one line.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Snooze Cruise posted:

If you want a GL visual novel I do not recommend UsoNatsu.

Its OK. Whole thing is overwritten and there felt like 5 natural stopping point for the story but it just kept dragging on. Compounding this is the game uses spine for animated sprites extensively, and sometimes the game will pause to load up characters. Or when it does a flashback to a previous scene, which it does many of, it straight up switches to a loading screen, often for just to repeat only one throwaway line. It has the most loading screens I ever seen in a VN lol. Probably would have helped if I had it on my SSD, and really the load times were never long, its just funny because I can't really think of any other VNs where i experience this.

Only interesting character is the problematic teacher. She vapes.

Aw heck, I was editor on this so I feel bad that you didn't enjoy the writing. I can understand where you're coming from, though; it's the studio's first "realistic" story after a couple of horror/fantasy VNs (Sound of Drop and Fatal Twelve) and while I thought the overarching story concept was fairly strong, it did feel like it was slower-paced and had less going on from moment to moment compared to those.

I was working mostly on a plaintext copy of the game's script so there's not much I can say or do about the loading screens except that it's unfortunate that they're an issue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eva fans sign off! If you are a fan of Eva who is way cooler than her lame husband and son, quote this post.

As his mother, Eva shares responsibility for how George turned out!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Thuryl posted:

Aw heck, I was editor on this so I feel bad that you didn't enjoy the writing. I can understand where you're coming from, though; it's the studio's first "realistic" story after a couple of horror/fantasy VNs (Sound of Drop and Fatal Twelve) and while I thought the overarching story concept was fairly strong, it did feel like it was slower-paced and had less going on from moment to moment compared to those.

I do think it had its moments and some funny lines. I don't regret playing it, but yeah as a whole I would say it just doesn't really hold together that well.

I should get around to seeing what is up with Fatal Twelve.

Ytlaya posted:

As his mother, Eva shares responsibility for how George turned out!

I can fix her.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

fatal twelve was real good imo, it felt pretty tightly paced and i liked the core relationship

i was wondering if the devs were ever gonna release anything else so i’ll probably give UsoNatsu a try eventually

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Just finished Higurashi: When They Cry (Everything on Steam except for Rei and Hou+) and now I see what all of the fuss is about. Didn't care for some of the Made-For-The-Comiket-Otaku-Crowd stuff, but I loved the characters especially Shion, Ooishi and even sweet, stupid Keiichi.

I played the Mangagamer version without mods. I thought the art was fine, and honestly liked it better without the voice acting. People seem to like the console version of the sprites best, but personally I would have loved it if the character art for the whole VN was done by Tomohi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEM-rr7zm9g

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Speaking of the alubm art by Tomohi, you should take a listen to the extended version of R of Can if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94LSz6Fs2AU

Also, there are a ton of official vocal versions of You (linking to the highest quality version I'm aware of):

I'm even leaving off some minor official remixes, like the Visionen im Spiegel, 2012, and 2014 versions of the "main" Shion one. There also fan versions for Satoshi and Takano ("Wish" and "Will" respectively) using the off-vocal version of the Shion variant.

Also, this remix kicks rear end and I listen to when I'm feeling down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bd-QD8OLk0

Okay, that is enough "you" to last a lifetime

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks! I'd heard a few of those but didn't want to go searching around YouTube until I was finished with Matsuribayashi. The first time I heard "You" I was driving myself nuts trying to remember where I'd heard it before until I remembered that Nico Nico Douga Medley from 2008.

Anyway, now that I finished Higurashi I can finally go back and enjoy a bunch of 15-20 year old memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3I1cz7Mt74

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do you know Oyashiro-sama?!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
"One hundred years volunteering at the Hinamizawa shrine people keep asking if they can gently caress in the storage shed, buddy they won't etc etc...."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
NPR put Misericorde on their best of list

quote:

Misericorde: Volume One
I’ll play anything that’s about a murder at a monastery. But unlike 2022’s Pentiment, which was clearly indebted to Umberto Eco’s masterful The Name of the Rose, Misericorde’s underpinned by a moody, gothic aesthetic and dialogue that feels modern despite its 15th century setting. While Pentiment features an anchoress, in Misericorde you actually play one: a mystic who’s been literally bricked up, isolated from the world and left alone to a life of study and prayer. That is, until one of the abbey’s sisters turns up dead and the Mother Superior tasks you to investigate since you’re the only one with an unshakable alibi. Far-fetched? Absolutely. But it’s also a brilliant set-up to explore an outsider’s sudden integration into a cloistered community and the secrets it holds. It’s the rare visual novel that offers no branching narratives, but the one you do get is so compelling that I even persevered after it crashed numerous times on my Steam Deck. I can’t wait to see what solo developer Xeecee comes up with next.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Well deserved!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
thank you NPR, i will never make fun of NPR voice again

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ryukishi said on a panel recently that there's basically still no plans to continue Ciconia because of the current state of the world. I was holding out hope this long but....Yeah. lol.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Honestly then I probably won't even buy the first part

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://x.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1741474291340984765?s=20

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ryukishi said on a panel recently that there's basically still no plans to continue Ciconia because of the current state of the world. I was holding out hope this long but....Yeah. lol.

no.... no!!!!!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

So I guess we’re waiting on the Silent Hill game for his next release.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i picked up arcane attorney in the sale and marathoned it. the game really hits its stride in the back half, highly recommended

i also picked up the sekimeiya: spun glass. sadly i have to agree with the steam reviews both good and bad: its a dry slog and only enjoyable if youre a very specific kind of mystery enthusiast who doesnt care in the slightest about characters/prose/visuals/emotional investment and just want a fair play puzzle box to pick apart. the game throws incredibly dense walls of theorycrafting back and forth about everything that happens between characters with zero personality. its exhausting and i just dont care enough to keep reading, and i havent even finished chapter one.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I also picked up Sekimeiya and it took me about 28 hours to get through it. Like a lot of reviews say, Sekimeiya is a very dense, intricate mystery that if you may enjoy if you like to pick apart the puzzle and theorize about the whys. It has a lot of twists and turns, and every time I thought I understood something, I was blown away by another plot twist.

So why is it that, according to steam stats, that only 48% of players managed to get past chapter 1? In a genre that requires you to do one thing, which is just to read? Because holy gently caress, that pacing is glacial and that prose is dry. A good chunk of the writing is devoted to characters theorycrafting about the mechanics of the situation that they are in, or over explaining minute details that really didn't need that much explanation, like troubleshooting a computer. Many scenes early on are devoted to one character accusing another of being obviously suspicious ad nauseam. Other scenes are about them searching the building they are locked in over and over again. Part of me suspects that in setting up the mystery, the writers wanted to leave no stone unturned to make it as fair as possible for the reader. So they went overboard with the details. Chapter 1 is the worst about this, largely since it has to introduce and explain the premises of the situation in great detail. Later chapters offer alternative perspectives and stop focusing on the boring, unnecessary bullshit of chapter 1, so it isn't just a one note experience. But the mystery is very technical, and the writing felt the need to be very, very detailed in its explanations.

Characters aren't completely devoid of personality, but only a handful of them standout, and there is no meaningful character development. The writer's focus was entirely on making sure they had an elaborate maze for you to solve. And it was written with that in mind, that players would take notes and put together their theories as they experienced the plot. In the final chapter, there is an internal quiz that tests your knowledge and predictions as it reveals the truth behind each illusion. How you answer has no bearing on the plot, it's just a neat feature that made me feel smart when i was right and stupid when i was wrong.

I know I was being harsh above, but I still enjoyed it mostly. If I had to rate this, it's a 7/10 game that could have been easily a 9/10 had the writers cut out most of the internal theorycrafting, tightened the pacing and focused on something like, i dunno, character writing. I do think that the story is really cool and intricate, but the overall VN is a tough sell for me to make. I would recommend people play through with the caveat that you love trying to solve the mystery as it happens more than you are put off by the dryness of writing. It's a flawed story with an engaging mystery, just needed something more.

Soundtrack is cool. Not like, umineko good, but a lot of neat atmospheric EDM tracks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just started Umineko. First chapter has the main character talking about wanting to fondle his cousin's breasts. Second chapter has the main character talking about wanting to fondle his other cousin's breasts, in the future, when she's not a child anymore.

Ughhhhh.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah not a fan of those moments. i think there are better ways of showing that battler is fail.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
It does not put its strongest foot forward, but luckily the worst is behind you

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Been reading Mahoyo on and off after finally getting around to starting it and man, the cast is real good. Aoko is great, of course, but I have to appreciate how Nasu male protagonists are just built different in that they are the weirdest motherfuckers with the least self-preservation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ran Rannerson posted:

Been reading Mahoyo on and off after finally getting around to starting it and man, the cast is real good. Aoko is great, of course, but I have to appreciate how Nasu male protagonists are just built different in that they are the weirdest motherfuckers with the least self-preservation.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

ymgve posted:

Just started Umineko. First chapter has the main character talking about wanting to fondle his cousin's breasts. Second chapter has the main character talking about wanting to fondle his other cousin's breasts, in the future, when she's not a child anymore.

Ughhhhh.

Yeah gonna start Umineko once I finish 428 Shibuya Scramble and it really sucks how Ryukishi07 can be such a good writer but also fill his VNs with the grossest otaku pervert poo poo. The goofy club scenes are tolerable at best but when Keiichi and Irie start talking about maids and moe and Rika-chan in an Angel Mort outfit I start thinking You know what? Go ahead and activate Manual 34 or whatever, guys. Time to throw the whole town out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's mostly just that Battler is so awkward at reuniting with especially the fellow kids in the family and the only solution his dumb brain can come up with is to overcompensate by being a dirtbag. For obvious reasons given how long Umineko is there's not much point in revisiting that aspect after the introduction.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Like almost every scene in the first two episodes it's incredibly funny in retrospect but still probably not worth putting new readers off so consistently

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

huge Umineko spoilers: the best part about those scenes in retrospect for me is that as part of a message bottle, Beatrice wrote him like that, completely intentionally. It’s not just a hint, it’s a hint from someone with an obsessive body dysmorphia. I don’t think Meta Battler ever really pervs out at all.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Starting chapter 3 of Umineko now and I feel a bit of ludonarrative dissonance when it presents everything as a game you can win or lose with difficulty levels for each chapter...when it's a kinetic novel with no choices at all.

(ep2) Also it is weird to have the game show you what happened via cutscenes, then minutes later it has a meta-discussion where the main character tries to explain that no, it could have happened a completely different way. Either the game is lying to me, or these discussions are just useless fluff.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ymgve posted:

Starting chapter 3 of Umineko now and I feel a bit of ludonarrative dissonance when it presents everything as a game you can win or lose with difficulty levels for each chapter...when it's a kinetic novel with no choices at all.

(ep2) Also it is weird to have the game show you what happened via cutscenes, then minutes later it has a meta-discussion where the main character tries to explain that no, it could have happened a completely different way. Either the game is lying to me, or these discussions are just useless fluff.

Just keep playing, the spoilered stuff is explained (I think in Episode 3? IIRC Ryukishi realized a lot of people were confused in Episode 2 so decided to be more explicit about certain things in 3)

As for the difficulty, I think it's just referring to solving what's going on. It's like how different mystery books might be easier or harder to figure out, and those obviously don't have reader input.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it even possible to "solve" chapters 1 and 2 after finishing them? Seems like there's too little info going around. I've noticed some things that stood out as really odd, though, like Rosa talking to Battler's stepmom and saying something like "both mothers of daughters", or a single line where someone mentions six master keys, while (assuming it can be taken at face value), the witch declares that there are five keys in red text - could just be translation errors, though.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ymgve posted:

yeah its cool

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ymgve posted:

golden age mystery novels were called games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ymgve posted:

Is it even possible to "solve" chapters 1 and 2 after finishing them?

I can tell you everything is 100% solvable by the time you put down episode 4