Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Grymforge question:

Just killed Nere. Talked to people after the battle (got the duergar to side with me and also free the gnomes). Brought Nere's head back to Spaw, long rested, and the gnomes showed up in the myconid colony.

Went back to Grymforge to do the rest of the area, and it's empty? Like, I'm sure the rest is fine, but all the duergar are gone.

Not sure if this is a problem, but curious. Kinda wanted to trade some more with the people there, but I don't think I missed anything critical, mainly wanted to offload some junk for gold.

This always happens I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, that's one of the situations where NPCs actually mean it when they say they're leaving. I think the only important thing you could miss from that is freeing the gnomes, so you should be good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There is a merchant in that area but iirc he doesn't have anything especially good and you can still sell at the Myconid colony.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

DaveSauce posted:

Grymforge question:

Just killed Nere. Talked to people after the battle (got the duergar to side with me and also free the gnomes). Brought Nere's head back to Spaw, long rested, and the gnomes showed up in the myconid colony.

Went back to Grymforge to do the rest of the area, and it's empty? Like, I'm sure the rest is fine, but all the duergar are gone.

Not sure if this is a problem, but curious. Kinda wanted to trade some more with the people there, but I don't think I missed anything critical, mainly wanted to offload some junk for gold.

If you talk to Brithvar after killing Nere, he will tell you that they are going to be leaving because the cult uses the forge to travel between the two areas. So they are packing up and leaving because having a true soul die on their watch won't end well for the Duergar.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Wow that House of Grief fight was tough, I made the mistake of bringing Astarion when you really need more AoE. Had to save scum a fight for the first time in a very long time. Maybe my guys could have pulled it out but Astarion got instantly downed and everyone else was getting really low.

Necrotic resistance elixirs and bringing Gale made a huge difference.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am sequence breaking the hell out of act 1 right now, just got a piece of adamantine armor and haven’t even done the goblin camp yet

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Who gets the store if he does the latter?

It’s the same as if Rolan died before act 3 (which I assume is going to happen in most people’s first play through; since you need to know to go after him in the shadowlands and rescue him before you long rest)

There’s one of those magical hologram things of Larroakan manning the counter; and it keeps doing so oblivious to whether you’ve gone upstairs and killed him or not.

It’s also worth mentioning that if Rolan is alive, you need to buy all the good stuff from the shop before you go and deal with Larroakan because otherwise Rolan will take it for himself and you’ll need to gently caress around with pick pocketing him if you want it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

space uncle posted:

Wow that House of Grief fight was tough, I made the mistake of bringing Astarion when you really need more AoE. Had to save scum a fight for the first time in a very long time. Maybe my guys could have pulled it out but Astarion got instantly downed and everyone else was getting really low.

Necrotic resistance elixirs and bringing Gale made a huge difference.

Having powerful archers or even a monk that can mow through difficult enemies is great too. Much of the challenge from that encounter is how spread out enemies are, and the fact that they all have stuff they can do without moving into melee range.

Chain lightning is amazing because it has a really long range.

I really like making Astarion my spellcaster though. When you give him the robes and hood from act 3; give them a nice black/dark blue colour scheme; and put some nice half illithid veins on his face he’s got the best Palpatine vibes going on, then he just does chain lightning everywhere.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't see how there's anything in the goblin camp worth worrying about enough to bother sequence breaking for. If you just do the map normally you'll hit 5 at the start of the camp and it's a cakewalk.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I didn’t say I was worried about the goblin camp. Sometimes you do things just because you can op

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't really see how it's sequence breaking when it's literally just a place you can go. It's not like a metroidvania where you need to glitch something out to get there or exploit unintended behavior. That said it's pretty difficult if you're like level 3 or something, sure.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Lord Bude posted:

Having powerful archers or even a monk that can mow through difficult enemies is great too. Much of the challenge from that encounter is how spread out enemies are, and the fact that they all have stuff they can do without moving into melee range.

Chain lightning is amazing because it has a really long range.

I really like making Astarion my spellcaster though. When you give him the robes and hood from act 3; give them a nice black/dark blue colour scheme; and put some nice half illithid veins on his face he’s got the best Palpatine vibes going on, then he just does chain lightning everywhere.

For sure, I dropped double Chain Lightnings with Maroheshkir, then a Cloudkill and a Sleet Storm. Between my Tav Bard and Gale we also had a dozen Counterspells lined up so the casters didn’t get to resolve much at all.

Liberal use of Black Hole to group everybody up.

Also remembered to use both Planar Ally and Danse Macabre ghouls out and set up a lot of meat shields.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have to say, black hole being recastable every round, potentially being a bonus action, and also causing slow feels kind of busted. Hunger of hadar (or other aoe options) plus liberal application of black hole is just a gross combo, it's almost too good.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Oh my god what is this autistic thread’s preferred term for doing things out of the intended order so I can discuss it without stupid definition replies about it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh, so there actually is a consequence to using the worms that I never noticed until now. In my first run, I never used any worms or even any [Illithid] dialog options at all. When I was offered the astral worm at the start of act 3, I was able to say no thanks and put it away. On the second run I was wormin' it up heavily and immediately said yes to the astral worm. But on this third run, I've eaten a few worms and used a few mind flayer dialog options, and this time when handed the astral worm, I had to make a DC 21 Wisdom save or be compelled to immediately use it. Basically the game making it harder for you to reverse course if you suddenly get cold feet, without fully railroading you into it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Oh my god what is this ****** thread’s preferred term for doing things out of the intended order so I can discuss it without stupid definition replies about it

Sequence breaking has to be performed in the sequence region of linear narrative games, otherwise it’s just sparkling route planning.

space uncle fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 16, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ok I planned a sparkling route where I got some cool stuff prior to the way the game arrays content in front of you and I thought it was pretty neat

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oh my god what is this autistic thread’s preferred term for doing things out of the intended order so I can discuss it without stupid definition replies about it

mods please rename this poster's username to big baby bitch

e: lmao, guy who wants someone literally fired for having off screen violence done to a video game cat and accuses everyone for not having empathy also uses autistic as an insult in 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as a person with actual irl diagnosed autism spectrum disorder, please shut the gently caress up and stop using autistic as an insult. thank you

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I have to say, black hole being recastable every round, potentially being a bonus action, and also causing slow feels kind of busted. Hunger of hadar (or other aoe options) plus liberal application of black hole is just a gross combo, it's almost too good.

ive only been on the receiving end of that but i agree

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

e: lmao, guy who wants someone literally fired for having off screen violence done to a video game cat and accuses everyone for not having empathy also uses autistic as an insult in 2024

This was not me lmao good lord you’re a loving idiot

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This was not me lmao good lord you’re a loving idiot

A lot of real hardcore cool Gamers in this thread with a concerning lack of empathy lmao

Don’t worry vargatron it’s actually very ok to be upset with this because it is meant to be upsetting and not everyone has a skewed Extremely Online tolerance to that sort of thing

Like it’s extremely common in actual tabletop groups for 5e to have limits on sexual/violent content especially against children or animals established in session 0 to the point where there’s multiple well developed ways for people to covertly indicate they may not be comfortable with the current direction of a session. I am assuming the people laying into vargatron are not well adjusted enough to have ever lasted longer than a session or two before getting kicked out or the game fizzles out and the group reforms without them

Honestly that’s totally fair and I’ve awarded you 10 Gamer points for requiring me to analyze my own responses to tension as well as my biases. I am able to walk past the meat department without crying because to my knowledge the meat is not either of my dogs or my cat or any pet beloved by any child known to me. They don’t even trick me into buying the meat.

I actually went to butcher school for 2 semesters when I was 20 and did not process a single cat or dog

oh no I had you mixed up with the other guy who was bitching about the same thing and going on about people being edgelords, you got me.

gamer points lol

e: you can click the little ? underneath an avatar to see all the posts that user has made in the thread, took about 10 seconds of my time. you're the rear end in a top hat calling people autistic who previously blasted people as "edgelords" and having a concerning lack of empathy, that's actually pretty sad imo

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 16, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Digging up an old argument that has nothing to do with what’s going on after you got confused about who I am is sad op

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Lol I have been way overcomplicating stealing from vendors with the bag stuff.

All you need to do is shift click their entire inventory in the barter screen, then drag and drop it into your inventory (not into the barter area, into the leftmost area). Instantly steals all their poo poo and they don't care at all.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Trying to ascend in co-op was surprisingly difficult. Not the encounter but the rest of the group really trying to accidentally attack the non combatants.

“But what do they do?”

Examine them.

“Ok so they must do something”

Yes but I’m not dead so shoot the *flails everywhere*

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I just found a new problem. Trying to bust Florrick out of jail without having to kill the entire fortress. I haul rear end out of the fortress and as soon as I do, she stops being controllable but we're still in combat so she charges in unarmed with predictable results.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I just found a new problem. Trying to bust Florrick out of jail without having to kill the entire fortress. I haul rear end out of the fortress and as soon as I do, she stops being controllable but we're still in combat so she charges in unarmed with predictable results.

(act 3) there's a second way out of the dungeon that doesn't involve hitting up the fortress. have a look around carefully

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Have you tried a sneaker exit?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait there's another way out? F, I have done it this way both playthroughs except last playthrough it didn't aggro the entire top floor of the fortress as well.

I ended up being able to kite out some of the enemies but not all of them by heading towards Rivington rather than the Lower City, so I only had to take out 8-ish enemies rather than 20-ish.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait there's another way out? F, I have done it this way both playthroughs except last playthrough it didn't aggro the entire top floor of the fortress as well.

I ended up being able to kite out some of the enemies but not all of them by heading towards Rivington rather than the Lower City, so I only had to take out 8-ish enemies rather than 20-ish.

Yeah, there are some clues about it elsewhere in the city as well. I believe the pirate dock area down by Rivington has information on it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh well let's just pretend I'm roleplaying my 8 intelligence and 10 wisdom. The fight got me to level 12 at least, now time to go around to all the shops and get the gear I want. And time for House of Hope so I can get some of the unique gear from there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As far as I know you only have to kill the actual guards in the prison - as soon as you leave that floor nobody is hostile and they just let you walk out. Unless it changed in a recent patch.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

As far as I know you only have to kill the actual guards in the prison - as soon as you leave that floor nobody is hostile and they just let you walk out. Unless it changed in a recent patch.

Nope, that's how it was when I just did it. I was also able to get her to act as a summon so I had control over what she was doing (staying the hell out of the way).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought the people on the main floor of the fort still knew who she was and therefore continued the battle.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nope

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You can also just kill the guards in the prison before you talk to her; that way there is no risk of her getting hurt on the way out

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just had her drink a potion of invisibility

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, I thought the steel watch would be all over her so I shut down the steel watch first, which means the fortress is aggro to you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Theres a crumbling wall behind the prison storage room that you can sneak her out of without having to go to the top level at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

exquisite tea posted:

Theres a crumbling wall behind the prison storage room that you can sneak her out of without having to go to the top level at all.

Yeah, I cast invisibility on her and then we walk over to this secret exit and I don't fight anybody to get Florrick out.