Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

georgia 2008 is for those who want to really show off

afghanistan 2021 is for the ones who remember that the occupation was still going on while all this ww3 was happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
2008 vs 2014 vs 2022 is going to be a great trivia question in time.

Who wants to be a Millionaire? (in rubles or yuan of course, not those worthless american dollars where a million can't even get you a cheeseburger due to inflation)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Tsitsikovas posted:

I think its Michael Parenti (could be mistaken) who referred to ww1+2 as the new 30 years war or something like that. Either way its a pretty neat construction and we should consider it for future use. Maybe even due for a new hundred years war ya never know.

if you include the cold war, and i would, as well as adjacent wars, i'm game to say ww1 is a new hundread years war that hasn't ended but at a certain point you're stretching the limits of how wars are categorized

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody declares war anymore anyway. Too much red tape. Now everything is a special military operation or limited strike, even if it goes on for years and millions die.

You say invasion, I say intervention. You say assassination, I say targeted strike. You say terrorist, I say freedom fighter.

The one guy writing the history books uses a LOT of correction fluid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hubris.height posted:

if you include the cold war, and i would, as well as adjacent wars, i'm game to say ww1 is a new hundread years war that hasn't ended but at a certain point you're stretching the limits of how wars are categorized

one framing I like is that October Revolution touched off a war that only ended in August 1991

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Emu War is eternal and shall trouble our future star colonists as they seek to settle Bernard's Star.

Still. A better outcome than those poor souls who ended up on Solstice-5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntb3wcZdTw

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Another good one is WW1 being the culmination of the French Revolution.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Peace of Westphalia was just a temporary ceasefire while we got teams sorted better and we're still doing the Wars of Religion.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Your history textbook needs a catchy name to mark the transition from colonial empires competition to East/West competition, so the 2 world wars can be combined, but not with the cold war. In the cold war, the North American power went back to allied with the nazi enemies to fight against the central Eurasia power, and won it partly through economical and ideological scams. The cold war should have its own chapter because it has its distincted flavor and very few world conflicts were fought through the lens of ideologies.

The next war will mark the transition from a unipolar world to a multipolar world. Depending on the intensity of the proxy wars you can call about the Cold War II, the Warn War, etc, and hopefully not "The NuWar".

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:02 on Jan 16, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War 2.0

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Time for another Hyperwar imo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Future historians will be baffled why Sweden and Finland joined the Anti-Russian alliance right on the verge on the Second Great Northern War.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Future historians will be baffled why Sweden and Finland joined the Anti-Russian alliance right on the verge on the Second Great Northern War.

Some countries just love collecting Ls. Also see Germany storming into the court room out of breath to declare their support for genocide completely of their own volition.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Some countries just love collecting Ls. Also see Germany storming into the court room out of breath to declare their support for genocide completely of their own volition.

they're winning and they have been wining since 1945

twenty thousand gazans didn't just fall over dead

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

stephenthinkpad posted:

Your history textbook needs a catchy name to mark the transition from colonial empires competition to East/West competition, so the 2 world wars can be combined, but not with the cold war. In the cold war, the North American power went back to allied with the nazi enemies to fight against the central Eurasia power, and won it partly through economical and ideological scams. The cold war should have its own chapter because it has its distincted flavor and very few world conflicts were fought through the lens of ideologies.

The next war will mark the transition from a unipolar world to a multipolar world. Depending on the intensity of the proxy wars you can call about the Cold War II, the Warn War, etc, and hopefully not "The NuWar".

I think of 1914–present as the wars of imperialism, or perhaps the industrial wars, but like you said when the era will end with the forthcoming defeat of the US.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Oldest Man posted:

I get all my military analysis from a guy who is sponsored by "gamersupps," maker of "waifu cups"

all the Waifu Cups are sold out so they're doing something right

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamersupps/comments/ru6xn3/the_problem_with_gamersupps_waifu_cups/
lmfao they slapped the shittiest printed logo possible on a dollar store protein shaker. if you want to actually use the cup you have to put a clear sticker over the logo to protect it like it's a mid-teens smartphone

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamersupps/comments/ru6xn3/the_problem_with_gamersupps_waifu_cups/
lmfao they slapped the shittiest printed logo possible on a dollar store protein shaker. if you want to actually use the cup you have to put a clear sticker over the logo to protect it like it's a mid-teens smartphone

those arent for drinking out of, theyre decorative items for the background of your watertok videos

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

those arent for drinking out of, theyre decorative items for the background of your watertok videos

but they sell drink mixes with the cups

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love how the West is only capable of projection

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They've decided that it's so difficult to get BAE to make new M777s that the new requirements are for weapons that don't exist (but they'll probably buy ARCHER or CAESAR).

The M109 is lostech so expect this to take up the next five years and cost a billion dollars.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

but they sell drink mixes with the cups

skill issue

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Love to see an urgent requirement for loitering weapons (the stuff I can't post directly compares the requirements to Lancets) that don't exist.

The other urgent requirement suggests that they're going to buy 20 SP guns as emergency procurement for the Baltic, without any plans, or intention, to bring them home. Which is how we ended up with dozens of desert painted MRAPs we had no use for.

Finally, "a decision has not yet been made with respect to how or where the M777 would be redistributed", since this is the Baltic battlegroup, means "Ukraine".

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Jan 16, 2024

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
The Copium Wars

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
BAE and Waifu Cups are on same level of grift.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

People buying waifu cups know that they're buying useless garbage because it makes them feel horny.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lostconfused posted:

People buying waifu cups know that they're buying useless garbage because it makes them feel horny.

yeah thats what he said

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lostconfused posted:

People buying military equipment know that they're buying useless garbage because it makes them feel horny.

yeah, it tracks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

poisonpill posted:

yeah, it tracks

Well I wish they didn't put it to the institutional Artillery to waste our time drawing up doctrine and requirements, just to gently caress around.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

cat botherer posted:

China has developed this MHD generator that uses h2-o2 explosions to generate pulsed power that at least would solve the “shitload of capacitors” problem.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3208795/chinese-scientists-build-hypersonic-generator-power-hungry-weapons-future

Guys I have a revolutionary idea. What if we could cut out the middleman and launch the projectile with the force of the explosion itself?

(Granted, that doesn't give you much ability to adjust the force so maybe this isnt completely useless?)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

In the metaverse.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

orly posted:

Guys I have a revolutionary idea. What if we could cut out the middleman and launch the projectile with the force of the explosion itself?

(Granted, that doesn't give you much ability to adjust the force so maybe this isnt completely useless?)

What if instead of wasting all this fuel on a turbine that has to not only make the plane go forward but also turn a compressor to compress air for itself (???) and has to provide electric power for a plane; we instead did something else. Maybe we could use a propeller in order to propel the plane?

Research into new technologies is great and we don't know which ones will turn out to work well ahead of time.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Jan 16, 2024

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Tsitsikovas posted:

I think its Michael Parenti (could be mistaken) who referred to ww1+2 as the new 30 years war or something like that. Either way its a pretty neat construction and we should consider it for future use. Maybe even due for a new hundred years war ya never know.

pretty sure that was Churchill.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BearsBearsBears posted:

What if instead of wasting all this fuel on a turbine that has to not only make the plane go forward but also turn a compressor to compress air for itself (???) and has to provide electric power for a plane; we instead did something else. Maybe we could use a propeller in order to propel the plane?

Research into new technologies is great and we don't know which ones will turn out to work well ahead of time.

This doesn’t really track because you’re describing either a turboprop or turbofan by accident, both of which are better than turbojets for most (nearly all iirc) applications.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

stephenthinkpad posted:

Fact Check: FALSE
While BAE weapons and Waifu Cups have much in common- high margins, tax breaks, legislatures' support; only Waifu Cups undergo rigorous testing up to today's military standards.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

They've decided that it's so difficult to get BAE to make new M777s that the new requirements are for weapons that don't exist (but they'll probably buy ARCHER or CAESAR).

The M109 is lostech so expect this to take up the next five years and cost a billion dollars.

The lack of planning in Canada is seemingly on par with Australia. Planning and procurement on the run, whoops actually we bought yet another lemon for top dollar and it doesn't work. In your case giving away stuff you can't easily replace. Still I suppose it's a safe part of the world unless the USA goes unstable and gets grabby when it doesn't need to.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

DancingShade posted:

The lack of planning in Canada is seemingly on par with Australia. Planning and procurement on the run, whoops actually we bought yet another lemon for top dollar and it doesn't work. In your case giving away stuff you can't easily replace. Still I suppose it's a safe part of the world unless the USA goes unstable and gets grabby when it doesn't need to.

We're holding off on annexing Canada until China cashes in all of its bond holdings.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Bold to assume the US has more than 48 hours of front line munitions at this point.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nothus posted:

Bold to assume the US has more than 48 hours of front line munitions at this point.

this is why is an excellent idea to fight an unwinnable war of attrition against yemen right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

This doesn’t really track because you’re describing either a turboprop or turbofan by accident, both of which are better than turbojets for most (nearly all iirc) applications.

I knew after I posted that somebody was going to call me out on mixing a propulsion method with a method of generation power. I should have said something about using explosion to drive a propeller directly vs using combustion to drive a turbine and then having that turbine drive a driveshaft and having it run both a compressor and a propeller/fan.

The point is that turbines are great.