Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DaysBefore posted:

Maybe 15,000 northmen have died altogether mostly in Robb's failed war which is hardly depopulation. Stopped reading after that but I can only assume that's the only weird statement in the essay which is otherwise totally sane and correct

I had to stop copying it because it Just. wouldn’t. End. Seriously that was only about a quarter of this persons deranged “theory”

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/194kguu/from_the_winds_of_winter_to_the_call_of_cthulhu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/194kh4j/from_the_winds_of_winter_to_the_call_of_cthulhu/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Didn't Jaime beat Cthulhu a decade ago?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I've been watching youtuber react channels who are watching GoT for the first time as background noise.

The first 3 seasons are so, so good.

Season 4 you can already start to see the cracks forming in things like Karl Fookin Tanner, and how much time they spend on Ramsey/Theon, who come to dominate much of seasons 4/5/6. But the rest of it is still mostly top tier.

Season 5 is a noticeable step down from 4 and it only gets worse from there.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember reading that most of Tywin's 'success' was rolling back all peasant freedoms the earlier kings had granted, which made lords happy and kept rebellions to a minimum since they could just drive their slaves harder.

If I had to pick, give me a Martell in the driver's seat. They seem glad to let their people just be horny and eat spicy food, and think twice before sending them to die in wars over getting some inbred cousin a bigger back yard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

th3t00t posted:

I've been watching youtuber react channels who are watching GoT for the first time as background noise.

The first 3 seasons are so, so good.

Season 4 you can already start to see the cracks forming in things like Karl Fookin Tanner, and how much time they spend on Ramsey/Theon, who come to dominate much of seasons 4/5/6. But the rest of it is still mostly top tier.

Season 5 is a noticeable step down from 4 and it only gets worse from there.

The ranking of seasons by how good they are is literally

1. Season 1
  2. Season 2
  3. Season 3
  4. Season 4
  5. Season 5
  6. Season 6
  7. Season 7
  8. Season 8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m divided on 1/2/3. Weird opinion but two is my top pick ONLY IF it’s a no-Dany fan cut

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I've read the books, so I didn't invest in the show because I knew it had a poo poo ending anyway. I enjoyed watching my girlfriend enjoy the show at first and how disappointed she got with the ending

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

3 and 4 are best because Charles Dance and Pedro Pascal are absolute scene stealers, and in CD's case, he really starts to come to the fore instead of being in it sometimes.

There's no point in watching past them, and 1 and 2 are also top class.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

3 and 4 are best because Charles Dance and Pedro Pascal are absolute scene stealers, and in CD's case, he really starts to come to the fore instead of being in it sometimes.

Yeah. I tried re-watching recently and got halfway through season 5, thought "I miss Tywin and Joffrey" and never continued my viewing. Charles Dance steals the scene every time, the man is dangerously charismatic, even in his late 70s.

(For those of you who have BBC iPlayer, go watch him in Agatha Christies' And Then There Were None,, or Charles Dickens Bleak House, he plays terrifying lawyers in both of them and is incomparably upper class and monstrous and you cannot take your eyes off him, even when all he is doing is sitting very still)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anders posted:

I've read the books, so I didn't invest in the show because I knew it had a poo poo ending anyway. I enjoyed watching my girlfriend enjoy the show at first and how disappointed she got with the ending

Were you disappointed with the book ending?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Red Wedding is literally the quality terminator for both the show and the books. It really is amazing how once you go beyond it, both GRRM and the two dipshits just lose interest in the story completely. Only Dumbass and Dickwhistle didn't have the freedom to just laze out and not finish the show like His Hugeness did with the books so they HAD to press onward even if it meant giving less and less of a poo poo about everything and trying to eye any exit they could (The Confederacy show, Star Wars, Leslie Jones Netflix specials, The Three Body Problem, that Will Smith vs. Slightly Younger Will Smith movie, etc.).

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 15, 2024

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

mewse posted:

Were you disappointed with the book ending?

Nah, it really picked up again once the Space Marines arrived

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Irisi posted:

Yeah. I tried re-watching recently and got halfway through season 5, thought "I miss Tywin and Joffrey" and never continued my viewing. Charles Dance steals the scene every time, the man is dangerously charismatic, even in his late 70s.

(For those of you who have BBC iPlayer, go watch him in Agatha Christies' And Then There Were None,, or Charles Dickens Bleak House, he plays terrifying lawyers in both of them and is incomparably upper class and monstrous and you cannot take your eyes off him, even when all he is doing is sitting very still)

He's also great in Ali G in da House as the Prime Minister of Wales.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The Red Wedding is literally the quality terminator for both the show and the books. It really is amazing how once you go beyond it, both GRRM and the two dipshits just lose interest in the story completely. Only Dumbass and Dickwhistle didn't have the freedom to just laze out and not finish the show like His Hugeness did with the books so they HAD to press onward even if it meant giving less and less of a poo poo about everything and trying to eye any exit they could (The Confederacy show, Star Wars, Leslie Jones Netflix specials, The Three Body Problem, that Will Smith vs. Slightly Younger Will Smith movie, etc.).

It's definitely the apex of the franchise, but I think the rest of Storm is a slow descent in quality. Feast and Dance are like a vertical drop from Storm generally.

The parts of the show that are still Storm after season 3 are the same. The feast/dance bits are big drop and the OC donut steel bits are an infinite void of terrible

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Irisi posted:

https://youtu.be/9yzQd28aFqQ?si=wG8Z97XwqnjZwltV

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Charles Dance is too charismatic.

Tywin has no good qualities in the books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

"Realism" never mattered much to me but I remember when I did care about ASOIAF all the nerds online told me the Dothraki actually suck and would be no threat at all against Westerosi armies. And I remember asking about the "boiled leather" that kept coming up in teh books and was told it was a real thing but nobody would be doing it when they have actual metal armor.

The funniest thing about the Dothraki is that they somehow couldn't beat Unsullied armies because I guess they just charge walls of pikes over and over hoping the enemy breaks even though they're a not-Mongols culture who know full well how to operate as mounted archers but apparently don't do so against pike walls because????

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It really is incredible how D&D had zero idea how to take the story forward after Storm of Swords. I'm convinced the line that GRRM gave them the broad outlines of where the story was going was a lie - I'm pretty sure he has no idea where the story is going and thats a big part of why he's not writing.

The changes they made to the story gets worse and worse. In seasons 1-3, many of the changes were economical and sometimes for the better - like the conversations they invented between Robert and Cersei. But they steadily got worse, starting with Robb's new wife, changes to the Essos storyline and hit their nadir with the Sand Snakes (not like they had good material to work with in the first place).

I would say that Season 6 does tick up a little bit in my eyes - if I remember my seasons right - Jonathan Pryce is a scene stealer as well even though everything they do with the Faith as a proto-fascist gang is...bizarre. But everything after Cersei blows up the Sept and...for some reason...becomes the Queen Tyrant Bitch of the Universe is nonsensical within the logic the show had established for itself. After that is sub-fanfic poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The entire Reach and Dorne armies disappear despite having done no significant fighting

Dothraki respawn

No elephants

Platystemon posted:

Charles Dance is too charismatic.

Tywin has no good qualities in the books.

Mutton chops

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2024

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

It is really funny d&d fumbled the free stinger of faegon existing but still put the golden company in cause ???

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I watched the series once when it came out, so I'm the fortunate son that doesn't remember more than the general plot. I don't understand your masochism, willingly exposing yourself to the visual equivalent to sniffing petrol and butyric acid

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mike N Eich posted:

It really is incredible how D&D had zero idea how to take the story forward after Storm of Swords. I'm convinced the line that GRRM gave them the broad outlines of where the story was going was a lie - I'm pretty sure he has no idea where the story is going and thats a big part of why he's not writing.

The changes they made to the story gets worse and worse. In seasons 1-3, many of the changes were economical and sometimes for the better - like the conversations they invented between Robert and Cersei. But they steadily got worse, starting with Robb's new wife, changes to the Essos storyline and hit their nadir with the Sand Snakes (not like they had good material to work with in the first place).

I would say that Season 6 does tick up a little bit in my eyes - if I remember my seasons right - Jonathan Pryce is a scene stealer as well even though everything they do with the Faith as a proto-fascist gang is...bizarre. But everything after Cersei blows up the Sept and...for some reason...becomes the Queen Tyrant Bitch of the Universe is nonsensical within the logic the show had established for itself. After that is sub-fanfic poo poo.

Yeah, the show was good while they could more or less adapt the books 1-1, adding a few scenes here and there

But than the 2 last books are much harder do adapt to TV. Like the Dorne stuff, which was mostly bad in the books too and anyway pretty hard to picture in TV format, adapted it became one of the worst things Ive ever saw in TV

And than they ran out of books

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ItohRespectArmy posted:

It is really funny d&d fumbled the free stinger of faegon existing but still put the golden company in cause ???

The Aegon plot in the books is bad, but in comparison to late‐season GoT, it’s practically Hamlet.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

At that point, they were mining the books for whatever scrap or tidbit of content they could throw on the screen to add some meat to the skeleton GRRM gave them. Gotta give Jaime/Bronn something to do? They meet, um, the Sand Snakes! Mercenary company comes to join the war? It's the Golden Company! That apprentice maester in the background of a scene? Might be Pate, or the assassin wearing his face!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The Aegon plot in the books is bad, but in comparison to late‐season GoT, it’s practically Hamlet.

And also, importantly, while the Aegon plot in the books loving sucks, it certainly appears to be critical to the ending, so if you're removing it you have to replace it with something else. "Everyone just kinda drifts into Daenerys's orbit" was never going to be a satisfying replacement even if they wrote it well, which they didn't.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I think that says a lot more about how nothing the Aegon plotline is going to be imo. Same with Catelyn

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

I think that says a lot more about how nothing the Aegon plotline is going to be imo. Same with Catelyn

I don't get why they ignored the whole subplot with Wyman Manderly and the whole "THE NORTH REMEMBERS" thing that was, in my opinion, one of the highlights of the last book. You could have surely spun a bit more plot around certain Northern houses being loyal to the Starks, plotting madly against the Boltons in 14 different ways as the snows build up around Winterfell and everyone goes stir-crazy and paranoid and more murderous than previously. (And then Manderly bakes some Freys into pies, which I suppose they used for Arya in the show, oh well)

D&D obviously preferred writing about the politics than the magic. They could have got a much more fun Northern politics subplot out of certain lesser Houses of the North rising up against the Boltons and then starting to fracture afterwards over who should be the Head Stark in the North: Sansa or Jon Snow. And then Bran shows up with his head full of greenseer weirdness and all the factions start to get even more fractious. It'd have given Littlefinger something to do in Season 6/7, turning all the factions against each other in his own inimitable fashion instead of that crummy rubbish in Season 7 where he ineptly plays Arya and Sansa against each other.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't know, the major plot beats late in the show (daenarys goes mad, arya kills the night king, bran takes the iron throne) are disjointed and weird, and it feels like they could be out of place *because* they were from a GRRM outline without any supporting material

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elias_Maluco posted:

But than the 2 last books are much harder do adapt to TV. Like the Dorne stuff, which was mostly bad in the books too and anyway pretty hard to picture in TV format, adapted it became one of the worst things Ive ever saw in TV

One of my favorite dumb Dorne things is that Areo Hotah is initially made out as some amazing bodyguard and IIRC the books mention, multiple times, how he does not trust the Sand Snakes at all. Yet in the show he's killed off as part of the most blatant assassination plot imaginable in no small part because he's caught flat-footed by a group of people he is always on guard around.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Owned by the bad pussy

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At least give us Darkstar, it’s not like you can ruin a character that comes pre ruined

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Irisi posted:

It'd have given Littlefinger something to do in Season 6/7, turning all the factions against each other in his own inimitable fashion

Littlefinger’s plot armor is ridiculous.

If D&D were good, they would have had Tyrion orchestrate his death in season 2.

Because they are not good, they couldn’t rewrite after a change like that, and they needed to milk all the material that Martin wrote.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Littlefinger’s plot armor is ridiculous.

If D&D were good, they would have had Tyrion orchestrate his death in season 2.

Because they are not good, they couldn’t rewrite after a change like that, and they needed to milk all the material that Martin wrote.

If D&D were any good, Littlefinger wouldn't have needed that plot armor. They could have kept to his book characterization where almost all the other characters see him as genuinely charming and mostly harmless and even the ones who see through that still don't realize the extent of his scheming, instead of making him the most obvious creepy schemer to ever creepily scheme.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Speaking of Doofus and Dimbulb, they've finally started giving interviews about Game of Thrones again after hiding from the press for five years now that they have to junket for Three Body Problem and they've finally issued a mea culpa for what they should have done differently:

https://www.ign.com/articles/game-of-thrones-creators-wish-theyd-brought-back-a-long-forgotten-character

More Mord.

I love that these guys are such big dumb douchebags that they literally break Hanlon's razor, so you can't tell if they're just trolling people or if they really ARE that loving stupid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

posted while doin field exercises in the actual factual steppe and imma reiterate that book and show Drogo, I wouldn’t wannaput on a shirt either if I was built like that, but fucks sake I’m huddled to another dude and in five layers and my beard is still frozen to my balls

Wear a shirt my khal

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Speaking of Doofus and Dimbulb, they've finally started giving interviews about Game of Thrones again after hiding from the press for five years now that they have to junket for Three Body Problem and they've finally issued a mea culpa for what they should have done differently:

https://www.ign.com/articles/game-of-thrones-creators-wish-theyd-brought-back-a-long-forgotten-character

More Mord.

I love that these guys are such big dumb douchebags that they literally break Hanlon's razor, so you can't tell if they're just trolling people or if they really ARE that loving stupid.

Those dudes are loving idiots and so are you for not recognising an obvious joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Those dudes are loving idiots and so are you for not recognising an obvious joke.

Those bellends could tell a loving Aristocrats jokes and I wouldn't find it the least bit humorous so, eh

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

If they tried to tell an Aristocrats joke, they'd leave out the punchline.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

If they tried to tell an Aristocrats joke, they'd leave out the punchline.

[in the voice of the late great Gilbert Gottfried] ANYWAY, SO THE DAUGHTER KIND OF FORGOT ABOUT WHY SHE WAS BLOWNG THE DOG'S rear end in a top hat AND THEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I miss GIlbert Gottfried more than any celebrity. How can we lose him and still have GRRM?