Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
wings was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hell yeah baby we've started another house fire and to celebrate we got a "big sandwich" (big laugh line)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

that ones for all the wings fans out there, the real hackett heads

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
finished watching "The Curse" tonight

huh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

just thinkin some about one of my favorite movies, xXx: State of the Union (2005) - it's deeply stupid and gratuitous but in a self-indulgent way that feels like its in a one-upsmanship competition with itself, like just precisely the kind of tone and attitude you want in your dumber than rocks action blockbuster

now everyone knows about the famous first act boat scene twenty minutes or so in, the boat scene that everyone is always talking abhout, from xXx: State of the Union (2005), the one that made all those headlines whjen it hosed up physics globally and balloons stopped working for a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QEeqFKz9Dk

but right before that scene is the moment in the theater watching the movie where i decided i was one hundred percent on board with whatever this movie wanted to do; after Ice Cube blows up some boats while fleeing on a boat on his way to The Boat Scene, the cops after him spring up and one of them is aiming a gun with his finger outside the trigger guard. some loving hero of an editor decided the scene wasnt exciting enough so they edited in some goddamn angelfire gif muzzle flares and layered in kablammo_1.wav a few times:

https://i.imgur.com/1IviM1A.mp4

run dont walk to netflix or redbox or whatever and watch xXx: State of the Union (2005)

Hell yeah was just talking about this movie in the action movie thread in CD. The movie ends with Ice Cube and Xbit and his crew of car thieves invading DC.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

twitch plays Pokémon but for drone strikes

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pokemon go to the hague

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

starkebn posted:

huh

I hooted and hollered.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

just thinkin some about one of my favorite movies, xXx: State of the Union (2005) - it's deeply stupid and gratuitous but in a self-indulgent way that feels like its in a one-upsmanship competition with itself, like just precisely the kind of tone and attitude you want in your dumber than rocks action blockbuster

now everyone knows about the famous first act boat scene twenty minutes or so in, the boat scene that everyone is always talking abhout, from xXx: State of the Union (2005), the one that made all those headlines whjen it hosed up physics globally and balloons stopped working for a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QEeqFKz9Dk

but right before that scene is the moment in the theater watching the movie where i decided i was one hundred percent on board with whatever this movie wanted to do; after Ice Cube blows up some boats while fleeing on a boat on his way to The Boat Scene, the cops after him spring up and one of them is aiming a gun with his finger outside the trigger guard. some loving hero of an editor decided the scene wasnt exciting enough so they edited in some goddamn angelfire gif muzzle flares and layered in kablammo_1.wav a few times:

https://i.imgur.com/1IviM1A.mp4

run dont walk to netflix or redbox or whatever and watch xXx: State of the Union (2005)

one of my favorite stupid poo poo movies. ice cube fights willem dafoe on the secret presidental bullet train

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

starkebn posted:

huh

Amazing ending, I wanna see a behind the scenes for how they shot that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nichael posted:

https://letterboxd.com/NichaelBluth/

I don't use it a ton but it's fun. I don't understand the serious boys who think watching movies is intellectual work, when it's basically the same as any other media at the end of the day. They're not making them.

That said, I have a friend who went to school for film criticism and he's great. He just doesn't act like god's gift to the intelligentsia because of movie watching.

CineD brain is bad and interacting with it makes watching movies unappealing.

Eclectic

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

CineD brain is bad and interacting with it makes watching movies unappealing.

Eclectic

I like movies and talking about movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the thing about movies is most of them are bad. but some of them, are good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

anyway i've been watching a bunch of marx bros movies lately they're sick.

also saw the new restoration of Cemetery Man this weekend, goated movie

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

marx bros are fuckin great and still completely hold up, Horse Feathers is probably my favorite but Animal Crackers and A Night at the Opera are close behind

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also saw the new restoration of Cemetery Man this weekend, goated movie

I'm stoked to watch the restoration of Cemetary Man

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm stoked to watch the restoration of Cemetary Man

the confused half-applause it got at the art house theater was great

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

marx bros are fuckin great and still completely hold up, Horse Feathers is probably my favorite but Animal Crackers and A Night at the Opera are close behind

i got a box set of the Zeppo years out from the library. so far i've done Horse Feathers, Monkey Business, and The Cocoanuts. just got Animal Crackers and Duck Soup left, i've seen Duck Soup before tho.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

starkebn posted:

huh

So loving good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Duck Soup ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's wild how Sascha Baron Cohen's wildly racist unfunny stuff was so popular.

the Borat movie is funny, no additional comments

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the Borat movie is funny, no additional comments

it was "very nice"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think I've ever laughed harder in a movie theater in my life than the chase through the Hotel scene

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Borat confirmed Elden Ring player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ejb6Sqwo9g

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Also the deleted(?) scene where Borat is pointing to each individual bag of shredded cheese and asking what they are and he just keeps going lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

someone post the article exerpt about Sascha Baron Cohen doing his Bruno bit in Israel

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the thing about movies is most of them are bad. but some of them, are good

yup

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol @ the lego movie/spiderverse guy posting this dum dum poo poo

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1747309239830478852

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

people keep replying with the story about the spiderverse animators’ working conditions lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol @ the lego movie/spiderverse guy posting this dum dum poo poo

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1747309239830478852

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's not propaganda if I agree with it (tm)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh this explains a lot

https://twitter.com/Noalarmplanet/status/1747323138562769283

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

It's not propaganda if I agree with it (tm)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

thank you mr lego movie on your fair and balanced critique on worker's rights

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao holy poo poo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://x.com/GalaxyPeaBrain/status/1747332761663262848?s=20

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao holy poo poo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Also I'm guessing this idiot watched Memories of Underdevelopment and thought the selfish petit-bourgeois protagonist was supposed to be sympathetic lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It only seems indistinctive because a lot of us grew up in the middle of it. 2000's fashion was, for lack of a better work, extremely bright and trashy. Everyone was a jock or a sorority girl, even the geeks. Mid drifts on everything, weird jersey mutations, cargo shorts, jeans with dresses. And then there were the Emo Kids. and Emo music. Thanks to 9/11, Everything was also tinted in a military aesthetic. Freedom, eagles, patriotism, and love for the troops was everywhere. This decade was also a pretty good decade for stand up comedy, and comedy in general, specifically dark comedy. The darker and edgier, the better.

When I think of that decade, I think of Paris Hilton, Master Chief, and Jon Stewart. I guess what I'm saying is it was pretty distinctive to me. The 2010's were a little less distinctive, but I distinctly remember there beign a reaction to the 2000s and everything getting softer, fuzzier, and cozier.

You could easily make a nostalgia show based of the 2000s or 2010s, but unfortunately its looking like one of the defining traits of the 2020's is cultural repression, censorship, and extreme corporate control over the culture, so it's harder to make shows like that nowadays.

Yeah I think you've nailed the essence of the 2000s at least.

Also, it doesn't help that when I was a teenager, I didn't pay any attention to clothes. I can't replicate or identify the fashion because I hardly took any part in it. To me everyone just wore jeans and t-shirts and hoodies, only the logos and numbers of holes differed.

Pen15 is still the finest 2000s nostalgia show we got. I don't know how I feel about middle/high school being 20 years behind me, so perhaps the lack of a Wonder Years or Happy Days for that era is a blessing. I already start to crack when I hear Broken Social Scene and I didn't know about that music at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao holy poo poo