Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Calibration SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
the aristocrats dota!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I calibrated archon and I immediately redid it and my games got way worse lol

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Ranked is simple. Just be the strongest person in the game mentally, mute people the instant they start being toxic without otherwise reacting to them, do your role’s job, and hope it works out 50.1% of the time or more. No problem, right? 😵‍💫 And do that for thousands of hours if you want to become any “good”

Lol at this game and the amount of time I’ve spent on it

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I've tried 6 ranked games (I'm uncalibrated),

2 -> others abandoned
1 -> Safe Lane WK disconnected at 2min, came back right at 7 minutes, like he had a timer then proceeded to feed over and over.
2 -> Someone queued up as support, picked safe line hero and just griefed
1 -> we won because the other team had two people run down mid and destroy items

How in the world so I deal with this nonsense.

Calibration is stupid. Try and play your 1-2 best heros and just focus on your game. The game reportedly does take some individual metrics into account for your placement not just win/loss so don't give up a game even when people are griefing on either team, keep getting the GPM and kills where you can.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

For what it's worth also once upon a time I despaired at 4v5 but I've probably won countless 4v5 over 100s of games, assuming you have some ability to carry on your hero you'd be surprised how many are winnable. If someone on your team actually abandons, you're getting massively inflated passive gold, and then all it takes is a few snowballing kills.
Does not apply if you pick omniknight or other hero with 0 playmaking ability.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Spiking posted:

For what it's worth also once upon a time I despaired at 4v5 but I've probably won countless 4v5 over 100s of games, assuming you have some ability to carry on your hero you'd be surprised how many are winnable. If someone on your team actually abandons, you're getting massively inflated passive gold, and then all it takes is a few snowballing kills.

Good tip, I'm trying not to be all woe-is-me, everyone in the game has a chance, it's just frustrating to queue for 10 min to have an immediate abandon so many times.

I read on Reddit about someone going mid-NP, boots of bearing, manta, aghs, blink, refresher, maxed Treants, and took all the treant talents. I did that in an unranked game and it was a blast. I think my team was so tilted from my build they just ran down mid and died over and over. I had all their outer towers down by like minute 25. The enemy team would rotate as five to find me all over the map. I should have gone Shadow Blade instead of blink, but it was still a hoot.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Spiking posted:

Sometimes a teammate drops and it's like hallelujah we got this now

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
guess i forgot to cancel dota plus and now have 4months of it left. might as well use it right?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
really digging omniknight this patch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do you play him? I love the Hero but have little success with him. I suppose he's just a situational pick in general and I tend to just pick him when my heart wants to bonk people with a big hammer

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Sab669 posted:

How do you play him? I love the Hero but have little success with him. I suppose he's just a situational pick in general and I tend to just pick him when my heart wants to bonk people with a big hammer

Sing has a recent vod up of him playing Omni and it looked real fun.

https://youtu.be/bOSNDbuSBtQ?si=sZzeZ_QZCNfPgwB8

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm allergic to singsing

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Carry: Phase Boots -> Harpoon -> Blink / Khanda -> BKB
Supp: Mana Boots then Pipe/Aghs/Locket or whatever who cares

Agh Shard is fun cos it's free Hammer of Purity every 6 secs on ur auto attack
Repel doesn't seem worth taking all that much? Just Purification/Hammer of Purity all the way

ILL Machina posted:

Sing has a recent vod up of him playing Omni and it looked real fun.

https://youtu.be/bOSNDbuSBtQ?si=sZzeZ_QZCNfPgwB8

Divine Rapier and Khanda is loving sick now, kinda just wanna play Sniper to farm up those items with Aghs and ult everyone

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm like 2-1 with him this weekend but both wins were quite Stompy. When do you like to pick up the Phylactery for the Khanda?

I feel like I need to Buy his shard right at 15:00 which also messes with my timings on getting a big item out :thunk:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Khanda sniper is poo

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That item is a huge trap on sniper but I have seen it on Omni, luna, and tiny in pro games this week

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My rule of thumb has been to not to buy it on someone that I'd already buy Daedalus on, because it's not gonna be better than Daedalus. Does Luna get glaives off the Khanda attack?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I have no idea but I see a ton of Luna in my games. Been pretty happy with Omni teammates.

Came back after a long hiatus, been playing Razor, PA, and Spirit Breaker super aggressive. Game is fun neat to see some intel heroes doing crazy auto attack damage.

I don't understand itemization past like minute 30 anymore gonna figure that out.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Geight posted:

My rule of thumb has been to not to buy it on someone that I'd already buy Daedalus on, because it's not gonna be better than Daedalus. Does Luna get glaives off the Khanda attack?

its not a attack its just a bonus nuke on the spell

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Khanda on Luna would make lucent beam a pretty scary nuke

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Khanda on sniper falls usually into one of two zones:

1: you have won so hard that it doesn't matter, hit those big numbers king
2: It is not the right item to build, but it is very, very fun

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speaking of not the right items to build, I've been making Zeus a right-clicker, and I'm getting an 80% win rate with it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

played a Muerta game with my friends earlier today and got to a point where I didn't know what to buy next, so I'm coming to y'all for some advice since I think I'm gonna keep trying to learn her to get a new carry in my rotation.

My inventory at the time was Mjolnir, Daedelus, Hurricane Pike, BKB, Casual Morbid Mask, and Boots (might have been travs or might have still been power treads IDR). I bought the mask initially because I kept getting focused or jumped in teamfights and it helped me stay on the map instead of going back to heal, and I ended up just turning it into a Satanic but I'm wondering if there was another thing I could or should have bought. Ideally once I get better I'm not going to be in a position where I'm taking so much damage in fights so I don't want to get in the habit of buying it if it isn't needed.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Speaking of not the right items to build, I've been making Zeus a right-clicker, and I'm getting an 80% win rate with it.

how does zeus become a right clicker? I'm ootl.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zeruel posted:

how does zeus become a right clicker? I'm ootl.

Shard, manta, some attack speed. Shard works on illusions, you get this chain lightning nonsense and rack up mega damage.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
No kidding that's awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm like knee deep in figuring out AA qop

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

played a Muerta game with my friends earlier today and got to a point where I didn't know what to buy next, so I'm coming to y'all for some advice since I think I'm gonna keep trying to learn her to get a new carry in my rotation.

My inventory at the time was Mjolnir, Daedelus, Hurricane Pike, BKB, Casual Morbid Mask, and Boots (might have been travs or might have still been power treads IDR). I bought the mask initially because I kept getting focused or jumped in teamfights and it helped me stay on the map instead of going back to heal, and I ended up just turning it into a Satanic but I'm wondering if there was another thing I could or should have bought. Ideally once I get better I'm not going to be in a position where I'm taking so much damage in fights so I don't want to get in the habit of buying it if it isn't needed.

Mask of madness earlier, then break it for the late satanic. The sword is probably part of the crystalis build up too.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

jsoh posted:

its not a attack its just a bonus nuke on the spell

Oh word I thought it was an instant attack so it could crit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Mask of madness earlier, then break it for the late satanic. The sword is probably part of the crystalis build up too.

I'll give this a shot, thanks. When do you build MoM? After boots? Or do you get mael first?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That's the meta Zeus build atm:
https://dota2protracker.com/hero/Zeus

Lesgoon
Jan 16, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

In these scenarios, I've seen good success backpacking your travels or just selling your treads/brown boots and picking up a swift blink. You already have a bkb and a pike, and as long as you dont die before you can get bkb off, swift blink is a great replacement for boots combined with pike. Its also an attack speed increase if you can jump into the fight second instead of getting initiated on.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I helped a buddy with some flooding after a big storm last week. I was in his basement and found that he had piles of PCs, like 20-30 PCs of all different kinds. I told him that for payment he can build me a PC capable of playing DOTA2 at medium settings. He delivered, and I just threw Linux Mint on it, turns out that DOTA2 on full quality is an entirely different game to the potato version my old laptop could run. It's amazing, like I can follow my hero during fights now, I can see what's happening. I'm still bad, but at least I can see now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have a high end PC but I still play the game at medium/low so I can keep track of what's going on better. Less flashy poo poo is better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I play on high rez, but I turn down all game effects. The heroes are clearer but not meddled.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
man, just came off a rough ranked calibration match where I was offlane radiant Abbadon. Dire last picked a BB. No one itemized for him. We had a Lina and OD, we pumped out damage but kept killing ourselves on him. Lina didn't go Silver Edge and by the end of the game it was just too hard to deal with him.

With in the first five minutes, p4 venge decided I was no good and spent the entire match just flaming at chat. what a mess.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Mute them and keep clicking, if you're making a good faith attempt to play the game, it usually works.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
You can always just get the silver edge on abba if no one else is getting one. Shadow blade is pretty similar damage attack speed and cost as yasha. It's not optimal but it's not griefing either.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
When I got my new PC i tried playing Dota at 4k resolution, it wasn't really enjoyable, almost too clean looking so I had to turn it back down to 1080p lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll give this a shot, thanks. When do you build MoM? After boots? Or do you get mael first?

I could see a case for both before and after maelstrom. Both speed up your farm, but I'm not sure which is better. Id def get treads first due to her mana expensive skills making tread switching really good.

When I play muerta, I mostly play pos 4 so my carry experience with her is pretty limited, and I haven't played her a whole lot lately.

With the mom, you just gotta make sure to use all your spells including ult before using the mom. The minus armor I can see really hurting muerta if your using it outside of ult which protects you because no one can hit you.

Obv don't ult to kill creeps while farming, just be mindful what order you press things when skirmishing and fighting.