Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

I am an enumerator, and trust me, the last thing we want as we're counting votes at 3am on Friday morning and dreaming of bed is someone shoving childish obscenities in front of us. Women in their 40s and 50s are the most common demographic so they've seen it all before, but it's still exasperating and tedious when you're tired and you don't even get a full day off the next day unless you use your personal allowance.

I do have to point out that not all people who count the votes feel this way.

Besides, imagine being more offended by a rude word than seeing an X next to the Tory candidate. Now that'd be loving stupid & childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
sometimes on election night coverage I've heard the returning officer give a list of categories of invalid ballots, so at least some places are sorting them. Never heard a specific category for penises, mind

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ it's called ukip

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i googled whats the difference between labour and tories and apparently just recently Kier said one of the main things is that he wants to halve violence against women and girls.

Not get rid of it, explicitly halve it.
I have often joked that a progressive says the police should not be able to kill black people with impunity, the far right says they should be able to kill as many as they want, and so the centrist arrives at the compromise that they should be able to kill some black people with impunity.

But gently caress me that's a little on the nose.

forkboy84 posted:

It's like walking home in a snow storm. You still have to travel the same distance whether you run or walk, but the faster you get home the faster you can get out of your frozen, soaked clothing & into a shower.
That metaphor only works if you're one of the ones who can make it home, and also doesn't mention having to rebuild the house and shower when you get there because Snowpiercer drove through it.

forkboy84 posted:

The thing is that astronomical deaths? We're already at that point. Austerity, COVID, we're here baby.
Right, and even those numbers were mitigated by having a free at point of use NHS - which was struggling, admittedly, but it was there and not fully privatised. There is no loving way that's not the first thing sold off to pay the bills.

And that's assuming a best case scenario where someone like the IMF steps in. If we're talking societal collapse proper, what happens to all the people explicitly supported by the state? People who need medicines to survive? Hell post-brexit ADHD meds have been on short supply and that has turbofucked a lot of people who were otherwise functioning.

And that's with the best case scenario where an external government steps in to intervene. What if you get actual societal collapse? Not even the few remaining scraps of the welfare system? No public transport? No supply chains at all for vital goods? People with dietary restrictions will remember how their needs were first on the chopping block when the supply chains got hairy.

I'm only writing this from the perspective of someone with asthma who's going to be struggling to breathe come the glorious revolution - there are people who kind of need the whole society thing to keep ticking over, and not just the sick and vulnerable. People who live in remote villages or outside of larger towns. People who's jobs just disappear from under them. We already know how people who fall into the current vestigial welfare system are far more likely to die.

With no welfare system at all, their deaths are going to make austerity and covid look like a speedbump compared to the statistical cliff-face even a partial collapse will represent.

Again this is not a personal attack on you but on the general idea that societal collapse would be good for everyone, or even the majority, because it's generally quite an ableist position - the people calling for societal collapse know (or at least think) they'd survive it.

I don't think it's ableist in the sense of being actively hateful, it just omits disabled and diversely abled people in its reasoning, which is kind of the definition of ableist.

Like yes, societally we are all treading water right now, but the thing is that when you stop treading water you generally drown. A small amount might swim to a tropical paradise, sure, but hearing that is no comfort to the vast majority who won't.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 16, 2024

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I think my political position right now is

laugh as it all falls apart and burns

if my health allows me I might try and chase a political candidate away with a broom as my ancestors would have wanted

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I'll do a polite message or leave it blank then. Spoiling my ballot is the only thing I have, and nobody is going to take that away from me.

The pro thing to do is to take the ballot and then run out of the polling station. The police will try and stop you but it's your ballot, you don't have to cast it if you don't want to.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have often joked that a progressive says the police should not be able to kill black people with impunity, the far right says they should be able to kill as many as they want, and so the centrist arrives at the compromise that they should be able to kill some black people with impunity.

But gently caress me that's a little on the nose.

Jimbly Crowbun said he'd eliminate rough sleeping, that was obviously bullshit and so he could never be trusted to rule. A sensible politician would only ever promise to *reduce* it by 50% or so. I am very smart.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm guessing that there's no distinction made between a spoiled ballot and a blank one, they're just sorted into the same pile?

A distinction made is between "blank/no discernible vote", "vote for more than one candidate", and "voter can be identified".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The pro thing to do is to take the ballot and then run out of the polling station. The police will try and stop you but it's your ballot, you don't have to cast it if you don't want to.

Wouldn't this somehow count as theft and election interference?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Wouldn't this somehow count as theft and election interference?

I honestly have no idea whatsoever if it's against the rules but I assume just on basic principles someone on this island would try to stop you doing it anyway.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that the ballot is actually the property of the crown, so you wouldn't have the right to remove it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

heartbreaking, worst person you know https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1747242082694042043

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the ballot has a gold fringe then by putting your VOTE upon the BALLOT you are ENTERING JOINDER with the CORPORATIOn of THE HM SOVERING OF THE UNITED KINGDOM GOVERNMENTY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

They can't close the election until they get that ballot back. They send Black Rod round your house to start some bother

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Clearly the best way to spoil your ballot is to write 'thatcher's a oval office but you're probably not, so have a lovely afternoon' or similar.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

This owns
Russian hignfy looks way better than ours

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Again this is not a personal attack on you but on the general idea that societal collapse would be good for everyone, or even the majority, because it's generally quite an ableist position - the people calling for societal collapse know (or at least think) they'd survive it.

No, we're not a monolithic group you can speak for like that. I know I wouldn't survive it and would nevertheless welcome it, as the only hope for future generations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My MP is Caudia Webbe and she seems like a good'un politically, but I have no idea what the truth is regarding her personal behavior and whether she got booted from Labour because they were reasonably sure she's a wrong'un or if they just saw an easy way to kick out a Corbynite. Regardless I guess it depends on who is on my ballot. Chances are unless I really like them though, I will write in Resurrected Ian Paisley or something. gently caress Starmer's Labour with a rake tbqh, I could have held my nose and voted for a pretty mid Labour Party but the only thing this shower of useless bastards is promising is that everything will get worse forever, but under a red rosette.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Here in DUPland i'll be voting Alliance as usual.

In the vain hope that they get bludgeoned into doing their sodding job in Stormont for once this decade. :argh:

Nothing but petty squabbles while our infrastructure crumbles to dust.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ll never vote Labour agai-

TACD posted:

I will vote Labour if Starmer literally eats poo poo on live TV before the election but I suspect he’s not willing to make that difficult decision

actually this might do the trick. It’d have to be a LOT of poo poo though he can’t just swallow a hard nugget

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not just eat it make him live in a special toilet tank and in order to earn your vote you have to get the chance to use the shared giant upper toilet that dumps on him periodically but unpredictably.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

When he's right he's right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Not just eat it make him live in a special toilet tank and in order to earn your vote you have to get the chance to use the shared giant upper toilet that dumps on him periodically but unpredictably.

Say the election goes to whoever can eat the most poo poo then human centipede/ourorborous all of the party leaders together.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

This is like a full half of 90s kids shows but with real effluent.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Starmer and Corbyn on Get Your Own Back

Corbyn's fitter than most people a third his age, he'd paste that bloated sweaty drunk

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

No, we're not a monolithic group you can speak for like that. I know I wouldn't survive it and would nevertheless welcome it, as the only hope for future generations.
I can't assume that people don't want to die? Is that the point you're making?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

This is like a full half of 90s kids shows but with real effluent.

I never pretended to be original!

Speaking of which Gladiators is back apparently? I only found out because Ulrika Jonsson said it looked like "woke nonsense" because it came back without the sexy cheerleaders. The article reporting on this noted that she had previously complained that the old showrunner forced her to wear a skimpy leotard for the early series and felt it was odd for it to be bad to happen to her but woke to not happen to women now.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I was correct in my prediction that the vagueness and oversaturation of the word "woke" would cause it to swiftly become a synonym for "bad" or "annoying"

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
In good news for democracy lovers, millions of (old, right-wing) people who don't live here will soon be able to play a decisive role in how the country is governed!

quote:

Brits living abroad for more than 15 years get general election vote

Around two million more British citizens living overseas will be able to register for a vote in general elections following a rule change.

Previously, people who left the UK more than 15 years ago lost their right to vote.

However, this rule has now been abolished under the Election Act 2022.

Affected British citizens will now be able to register in the last constituency they were signed up in before leaving the UK.

Once on the electoral register they will also be able to donate to political parties and campaigners.

The BBC article makes a big song and dance about how one of the people campaigning for this is (was) Harry Shindler, a dusty ex-squaddie who left the UK for Italy and died not long ago. A quick search for his name turned up a result from a site called "Conservatives Abroad" which I'm sure comes as a massive surprise to everybody

I'd love to see a tory try to defend having some pork-faced thug who's lived in Tenerife on a diet of Carling and fried breakfasts for two decades having more influence over the British electoral process than many Europeans who've lived, loved and paid taxes here for an equally long period

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well at least goons like WhatEvil can also try and dilute the bastard vote by voting for *checks list of parties* ah gently caress

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't assume that people don't want to die? Is that the point you're making?

I'm saying you can't assume we all value our own lives over those of all others.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking of which Gladiators is back apparently? I only found out because Ulrika Jonsson said it looked like "woke nonsense" because it came back without the sexy cheerleaders. The article reporting on this noted that she had previously complained that the old showrunner forced her to wear a skimpy leotard for the early series and felt it was odd for it to be bad to happen to her but woke to not happen to women now.
"It's fine when it happens to other women."

Although it is funny that it was the Mary Whitehouses of the world complaining that it was happening in the first place and now the anti-woke brigade are unhappy that it isn't.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Theres no way I will vote for labour this year

because I am not allowed to vote due to being a filthy forrin

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wachter posted:

I was correct in my prediction that the vagueness and oversaturation of the word "woke" would cause it to swiftly become a synonym for "bad" or "annoying"
As gar as I can tell it seems to be used to mean peoples rights are being considered in a way that inconveniences the speaker.

I don't know if I've mentioned but 'suck my woke dick' is probably one of my favourite usernames on here and i kind of want it on a tshirt.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

dadrips posted:

In good news for democracy lovers, millions of (old, right-wing) people who don't live here will soon be able to play a decisive role in how the country is governed!

I promise to use my restored vote for good, though. Jokes on me if they use it to send me a poll tax bill I suppose.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Probably going to spoil my ballot by writing 'Trans rights are human rights' on it

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm going to write a tedious christmas cracker tier joke on it

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

DiscoWitch posted:

Probably going to spoil my ballot by writing 'Trans rights are human rights' on it

Literally did this in my last local

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

sebzilla posted:

Jimbly Crowbun said he'd eliminate rough sleeping, that was obviously bullshit and so he could never be trusted to rule. A sensible politician would only ever promise to *reduce* it by 50% or so. I am very smart.

Lee Anderson is promising the same.

By slicing every homeless person in half

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

fuctifino posted:

I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that the ballot is actually the property of the crown, so you wouldn't have the right to remove it.

Just steal a swan instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Its not worth decorating my vote with a gloriously rendered cock. Not if the only person to see it is Doris from the local community centre who's trying to earn some extra money for her grand bairns birthday pressie. Its not her I'm mad at