Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

Right on. That was fun to put together :cheersbird:

Valhalla's free poo poo has sold me on at least one of their premium verbs because the stuff is just good, and cheap.

The JP-4000 is fun, my spouse said it reminded her of a 90s casio keeb she had. The built in presets suffer from some sameness, I need to dig into the editor to see how far i can push it into weird space. The filter is fun, if not amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOTuvT0yf_k

Pretty good for $50, can sit basically anywhere and add a voice or three to whatever. I am gonna mess with making some drum tracks and doing an entire JP-4000 track, especially if I can figure out some weird drones. Haven't figured out the ARP or if I can make looping envelopes.

the "16 JP-4000 midi-controlled choir" sounds funny as poo poo but I don't want to spend $800 on that, or figure out the MIDI routing.

Wr/t Solar42 prioces, it's worth considering that 42 JP-4000s would cost $2100 and that is MORE THAN THE SOLAR 42 :colbert:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I've been on a Solaris kick lately when it comes to software reverbs. It was released for free last year

https://www.adamszabo.com/vstplugins/solaris/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNi94F8EiT8

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I love the Valhalla stuff; VintageVerb on everything, supermassive rules, and despite many copycats (which I am convinced were all implemented based on his writeup) Valhalla Shimmer is still one of the the best around. Gotta give Solaris a shot soon though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

snorch posted:

I love the Valhalla stuff; VintageVerb on everything, supermassive rules, and despite many copycats (which I am convinced were all implemented based on his writeup) Valhalla Shimmer is still one of the the best around. Gotta give Solaris a shot soon though.

As a massive VST hoarder, I have several dozen reverbs at this point. Valhalla VintageVerb is the most versatile and useful one I own and it's not even close.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm playing with some old sample libraries and they're in dire need of organization. Anyone know of a tool that lets me play a clip and then let me drag it into a folder? ADSR is sooo close, it has a good UI and the auto tagging is pretty good.. but it won't let me actually move files around. So I did a couple folders by testing in ADSR then swapping to a finder window to drag into a destination folder. It works but it's slower than it needs to be.

I don't need any editing features, most of the files are in good condition and any that aren't I'll just set aside and fix in Reaper later. But I guess if it had a way to time stretch that wouldn't go unused, as a number of the samples are very old and are sped up to save space.

Mac or PC is fine, but I'd prefer Mac.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I usually use Finder itself for that. Lags and doesn't love every format but it's mostly been fine

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

Why are there so many more early digital delay re-issues than reverbs?

Because designing a good reverb is more of an arcane art than designing a delay.

The network of allpass filters is hooked up like one of those one way hash encryption algorithms which has to be designed specifically for sufficient randomness - you don’t want the metallic septic tank effect of a Behringer Virtualizer (the old one with the green display). You don’t want ringing and repetition. The delays and filter coefficients need to be handled in a particular way.

Mr Costello studied what Keith Barr of Alesis did to make the MIDIVerb affordable.

See also https://u-he.com/products/protoverb/

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Case in point: Zoom's ever-popular MS-70CDR. Huge collection of cool delays and very mediocre reverbs. Developing algorithms that sound nice takes a lot of time and an obsessive ear for detail. I think that's why reverbs like Lexicons and Blue Sky (and really any great piece of gear) are so popular, because their sounds have reached a level of quality that's far beyond any textbook implementation by some code monkey.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That multi oscillator drone synth posted earlier got me all fired up, and I made this thing, just about into noise territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8GOU-CB9XQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Korg Gadget got updated to V3. Big performance and UI overhauls, but the marquis feature is that all the modules finally now break out as AUv3 for use in Aum/Logic/etc

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
2024 is shaping up to be quite weird. I was not expecting stylophone to annouce not only a theremin but a eurorack compatible analog drone - https://stylophone.com/ds2-pre-order/

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody heard of a scrub board before ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7-azPOm22M

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

B33rChiller posted:

Now I have, and that is just killer

Got UVI Falcon over the holidays and have been messing with that for a couple of weeks. :drat: it's deep.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yamaha introduces SEQTRAK, their portable "music creation station" that is slightly reminiscent of the OP-1. Includes a drum machine, FM, AWM2 and sampler with a large library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-jigFAWq4

It's priced at around 1/4th of an TE OP-1, so it's slightly compelling, although I'm in no need for an additional groovebox. Interesting to see Yamaha jumping back into that product range again after a brief hiatus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More like the op-z. I wonder if they cloned the warped chassis feature too.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
On the one hand I wish the maker of masterpieces like the RS/QY would drop something a little more sophisticated than boxes from a quarter century ago, but hopefully it’s a toe-dip. Looks to be a great effort especially on the connectivity. Putting on my seer cap I bet, with their bothering to do branding– “Make Waves,” that there’s a bigger sib to this coming down the pipe if it splashes in the market. :9

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Make an rm1x again you sumbicths :hellyeah:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Startyde posted:

Make an rm1x again you sumbicths :hellyeah:

i mean, they kinda did

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
AWM2 is old enough to pass for "vintage" now I guess.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

This is just amazing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

This is just amazing.

Youtube can (sometimes) be great for seeing mad scientician garden shed tinkerer projects. Watching Les Claypool performances led me to a weed farmer / upright bass builder showing off his home made whamola.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Startyde posted:

On the one hand I wish the maker of masterpieces like the RS/QY would drop something a little more sophisticated than boxes from a quarter century ago, but hopefully it’s a toe-dip. Looks to be a great effort especially on the connectivity. Putting on my seer cap I bet, with their bothering to do branding– “Make Waves,” that there’s a bigger sib to this coming down the pipe if it splashes in the market. :9

Yeah there has been a QY700 sized hole in the market between 16 step grooveboxes, MPCs and workstation keyboards for way too long. Another handheld QY would be welcome too although there is some competition in the handheld tracker lane now. A dedicated MIDI sequencer with modern features (custom soundfonts, realtime step edit, usb etc) that isn't yet another x0x is one of the only new types of gear I would be interested in.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2024

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
To me, Yamaha's at least three for three now at whiffing the resurrection of good things they stopped making: the VL/WX series synth saxes, the sequencer/arranger boxes, and the freaking An1x.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

snorch posted:

To me, Yamaha's at least three for three now at whiffing the resurrection of good things they stopped making: the VL/WX series synth saxes, the sequencer/arranger boxes, and the freaking An1x.

Yamaha needs to get a bunch of their motorcycle people to come do product management at their musical instrument operations for a few years

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Yamaha introduces SEQTRAK, their portable "music creation station" that is slightly reminiscent of the OP-1. Includes a drum machine, FM, AWM2 and sampler with a large library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-jigFAWq4

It's priced at around 1/4th of an TE OP-1, so it's slightly compelling, although I'm in no need for an additional groovebox. Interesting to see Yamaha jumping back into that product range again after a brief hiatus.

I caught the Yamaha demo/hype video first which was pretty coy about price, but I expected this to be in the US$600-US$900 range. When the OP-1 dropped it was unique and amazing but also was in the 37 - 46yo Dad Budget range. If this is hitting Sweetwater at US$400 street price, that puts it much more in the Saved Up For It With Xmas and Birthday Money category, which is honestly exciting. This thing looks interesting as hell, and the price point means more folks will be able to try it. I feel like this is a perfect gateway drug / magic box that'll define an entire genre of music. Just cool, cool, cool all around.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No cow graphics, not usable.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

withak posted:

No cow graphics, not usable.

Rattlecan that pig, mooooo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

96 BELOW THE WAVE posted:

I caught the Yamaha demo/hype video first which was pretty coy about price, but I expected this to be in the US$600-US$900 range. When the OP-1 dropped it was unique and amazing but also was in the 37 - 46yo Dad Budget range. If this is hitting Sweetwater at US$400 street price, that puts it much more in the Saved Up For It With Xmas and Birthday Money category, which is honestly exciting. This thing looks interesting as hell, and the price point means more folks will be able to try it. I feel like this is a perfect gateway drug / magic box that'll define an entire genre of music. Just cool, cool, cool all around.

I'm totally in at $400. I've been looking for a fart around machine lately

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ordered a seqtrak. I have the QY 100 and 700 already and this looks like a nice evolution of that basic formula

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile Korg is just dumping stuff ahead of NAMM. Opsix/Modwave/Wavestate as modules, NTS-1 Mk2 and a similar Kaoss Pad, new King Korg, some new MicroKorg thing, Opsix Mk 2

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i'm so loving stoked for the NTS-3

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tayter Swift posted:

Meanwhile Korg is just dumping stuff ahead of NAMM. Opsix/Modwave/Wavestate as modules, NTS-1 Mk2 and a similar Kaoss Pad, new King Korg, some new MicroKorg thing, Opsix Mk 2

These things cost as much as the keybed models, it's tempting to just keep doing Talldog conversions.

Talldog is likely unhappy about this (though did great on their kickstarter), but, I sorta suspected this might happen if those kits had any traction.

Love my opsix desktop; I'd consider a wavestate desktop. On the other hand, I want like another $2000 in eurorack video, and that Solar42 silliness, this is gonna take a while haha.

I'd love a mini eurorack Kaoss pad, with all the DSP etc. could be like 32hp, np. I wonder if NTS3 conversions to rack will be possible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

watho posted:

i'm so loving stoked for the NTS-3

I've been out for a long time... what are these NTS units? Little DIY Pocket Operators on steroids? They look fun as hell

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BonoMan posted:

I've been out for a long time... what are these NTS units? Little DIY Pocket Operators on steroids? They look fun as hell

pocket operators is an apt comparison but you can load user made DSP on it so it's extremely versatile for the size and price

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'll probably replace my mk1 opsix & wavestate with the mk2 modules

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

watho posted:

pocket operators is an apt comparison but you can load user made DSP on it so it's extremely versatile for the size and price

Yep and they have sync in/out so they play well with pocket operators. And there's audio in with configurable signal path so you can do things like use it as a reverb bus.

The stock effects are mostly the same as what comes in the Minilogue XD.

The one thing the NTS-1 was missing was a sequencer (and a useable keyboard lol), and the Mk II looks to be solving those issues.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 19, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wonder if they toughened up construction of the NTS-1 board. I had two mk1 units where the headphones jack came loose because the only thing holding it together was the surface-mount solder joints.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

Boody posted:

2024 is shaping up to be quite weird. I was not expecting stylophone to annouce not only a theremin but a eurorack compatible analog drone - https://stylophone.com/ds2-pre-order/

Sonicstate put up a demo vid with this, pretty sweet box.

PWM and waveform modulation possible...Nick Batt makes some funny faces.

I've always wanted a dedicated "drone" synth, but most of the good ones are pretty pricey or DIY. This looks like a really good option atm in terms of price point and features.

Sadly, this will probably not be available until mid-year.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXdRPHscZkc

more nonsense. I think the audio in the background is me posting the scrub board video from earlier in the thread, too.

this is one patch with no interaction. approaching winamp levels!

I'm starting to burn through most of my shortest patch cables just patching video lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HerzogZwo posted:

Sonicstate put up a demo vid with this, pretty sweet box.

PWM and waveform modulation possible...Nick Batt makes some funny faces.

I've always wanted a dedicated "drone" synth, but most of the good ones are pretty pricey or DIY. This looks like a really good option atm in terms of price point and features.

Sadly, this will probably not be available until mid-year.

They were saying 250 quid. That's a lot of stylophone. If / when more people start tinkering with them, and seeing what else you can power in the 42hp off batteries, that might make the value proposition a lot different.