Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Corridor shooters :D

https://blog.playstation.com/archive/2010/02/12/final-fantasy-xiii-your-questions-answered/

quote:

PSB: With western RPGs becoming so popular, how were you influenced in Final Fantasy XIII to encompass all audiences?
Kitase/Toriyama: No games were a direct influence in particular, but we definitely looked at the FPS genre and other Western games to incorporate more speed and increase the pace of gameplay in Final Fantasy XIII. In terms of the FPS genre influence, the story progression of FFXIII is very similar to that (FPS) genre in the sense that different challenges and situations are presented to the character one after the other. That’s how they progress in the storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lmao I thought the corridor shooter post was a joke

gently caress that’s stupid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol I was just making fun...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
ff13-2 just took the battle system of ff13 and added monster recruiting, right?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Honest Thief posted:

good game making

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honest Thief posted:

They also removed the first slowdown when you paradigm shift which was nothing but annoying

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

There are some other tweaks like you no longer have instant game over if Party Leader dies. Also you no longer have that big animation for your first Paradigm Shift. Beyond that, they seemed identical to me, but one of the FFXIII gameplay lovers on here can probably give a more thorough answer.

jokes posted:

Lmao I thought the corridor shooter post was a joke

gently caress that’s stupid

No Dignity posted:

lol I was just making fun...

I know it was a joke but that's what makes it even funnier. I actually remembered the devs comparing XIII to an FPS and I'm so glad I could find this interview again after all his time.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 16, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF13 advertising on ESPN was another funny thing. I think SE was under the impression they made a totally different video game than they did

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
sweet, now if only the pc ports werent dogshit

jokes posted:

FF13 advertising on ESPN was another funny thing. I think SE was under the impression they made a totally different video game than they did

isnt that on par with their marketing since ff7 tho?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SE is a weird company. It's basically three companies wrapped together and they all hate each other: a game development team that doesn't seem to know what makes their games great, a marketing team that has no idea what video games are or why people want them, and an executive team that hates video games so much and wishes they weren't in this loving business. Remember the KH1 ad? it was a trailer that explained absolutely nothing, and showed zero gameplay. Remember the FF15 movie that 4 people in the world watched in theaters?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They also mentioned in some other interview where the flashback structure in FF13 was inspired by the ABC series Lost.

Between that and the FPS thing I think they were just going for general western appeal to some extent, not too dissimilar to FF16.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're as confused as we are that they're still in business, and they have even less of an understanding of why

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Square Enix understands they have multiple video game properties that sell well and are popular.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

Remember the KH1 ad? it was a trailer that explained absolutely nothing, and showed zero gameplay. Remember the FF15 movie that 4 people in the world watched in theaters?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNvTWohCFjI

this ad rules tho. all you need is that dance mix of simple and clean and 'this poo poo got disney' to sell kh1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honest Thief posted:

Well that plus eliminating having to put any thought into combat at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i saw this when i was a kid and kingdom hearts became my personality for the next five years i think it worked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it makes a lot more sense when you're looking at it in context, especially when the company was trying to appeal heavily to Western audiences.

The biggest games in the years before FF13 came out were that kind of game and it was at the height of "Japanese games SUCK" mania, as well as a pretty loud discussion about how turn-based combat was old-fashioned and dead. Trying to reinvent themselves to an audience that seemed to want focused and more linear experiences with a faster pace is exactly what you'd expect.

It's also worth remembering that while now we may be hype for random minigames, at the time "Why am I doing poo poo that isn't the main gameplay" was a pretty common refrain, with FFX being derided pretty regularly for having a bunch of minigames nobody liked. So they focused almost exclusively on just the main gameplay, polished it to a mirror shine, and made it the entire focus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

like i saw this when i was a kid and kingdom hearts became my personality for the next five years i think it worked.
Hell its still my personality. KH rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i would literally keep disney channel on just to see that ad again

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNvTWohCFjI

this ad rules tho. all you need is that dance mix of simple and clean and 'this poo poo got disney' to sell kh1

Yeah, it's rad but it's also cobbled together by a very confused marketing team and accomplishes no objective other than showing off the aesthetic. Despite that, it absolutely rules and together with other KH poo poo it was extremely successful. I just don't think it was at all intentional because, like, no marketing plan or course would ever be taken seriously if it tried to emulate KH's marketing approach, despite its absurd success.

I watched the Simple and Clean thing about a billion times before I played KH1, and that one's even more confusing. It also is the highlight of the franchise to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

Yeah, it's rad but it's also cobbled together by a very confused marketing team and accomplishes no objective other than showing off the aesthetic.
i mean kh is a hard thing to explain and the biggest thing it has going for it as general appeal is just, Vibes. that ad hits it instantly. it accomplishes that objective perfectly. idk what else you wanted them to do. should the ad have shown the jumping puzzles. i dont think it would have sold 40 million copies if they did that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I'm just saying SE rarely has a particularly strong guiding hand to the things it does as a company, and somehow they get absurdly, extremely lucky over and over.

e: Like, trying to create an ad for KH is already an extremely difficult proposition, so how about... poo poo, idk, 50 half-second clips of disney characters and some totally unknown anime-looking protagonists exhibitting dramatic intensity with some music? *grand slam*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

squeenix despite its many faults is still a company that lets the big creatives have at least some degree of freedom and that leads to some weird decisions, but its part of what makes se special. no sane company would have let nomura release a game titled Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Well that plus eliminating having to put any thought into combat at all

Wait, it's easy mode?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Kingdom Hearts commercial should have just been the FFIII US commercial with the sarcastic moogle, but instead of zapping a bunch of random monsters, it's beloved Disney icons.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah, it's rad but it's also cobbled together by a very confused marketing team and accomplishes no objective other than showing off the aesthetic. Despite that, it absolutely rules and together with other KH poo poo it was extremely successful. I just don't think it was at all intentional because, like, no marketing plan or course would ever be taken seriously if it tried to emulate KH's marketing approach, despite its absurd success.

I watched the Simple and Clean thing about a billion times before I played KH1, and that one's even more confusing. It also is the highlight of the franchise to me.

That's most TV game ads though? Most are just pre-rendered video of cool poo poo happening

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endorph posted:

squeenix despite its many faults is still a company that lets the big creatives have at least some degree of freedom and that leads to some weird decisions, but its part of what makes se special. no sane company would have let nomura release a game titled Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

hell yea brother, it's why it's my favorite. SE is just a company embodying frank reynolds saying "I don't know how many years I got left, so I'm gonna get real weird with it", but they've been saying it since the 80s.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SE is going to lose all their money, give their last $100 to Amano (or his successor) who is going to draw an extremely weird image of a sad blonde woman and it's going to start the whole thing over again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

Yeah I'm just saying SE rarely has a particularly strong guiding hand to the things it does as a company, and somehow they get absurdly, extremely lucky over and over.

e: Like, trying to create an ad for KH is already an extremely difficult proposition, so how about... poo poo, idk, 50 half-second clips of disney characters and some totally unknown anime-looking protagonists exhibitting dramatic intensity with some music? *grand slam*
also i dont think you're giving them enough credit, there is some purpose and creativity to how the shots are interspersed. like ending on the sephiroth shot with the 'you'll never know who you'll run into next' tagline. or how the villains (ursula, hades, maleficent) get all the shots that linger long enough for you to fully register they're there and looking cool. you can get the idea that sora's the protagonist and hes being thrown about the disney universe, and there's enough of the light/dark symbolism to get that aspect. as far as getting across kh's premise in 30 seconds itd be hard to do a better job, and they do a good job emphasizing the stuff that makes it different from a random disney licensed game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

se has made some weird-rear end decisions but i think this idea that they're this bumbling misadventure whose every success has been accidental is a bit disrespectful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endorph posted:

se has made some weird-rear end decisions but i think this idea that they're this bumbling misadventure whose every success has been accidental is a bit disrespectful.

nah its funner than accepting the reality that they're a megacorp run by nepo-hire MBAs

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it makes a lot more sense when you're looking at it in context, especially when the company was trying to appeal heavily to Western audiences.

The biggest games in the years before FF13 came out were that kind of game and it was at the height of "Japanese games SUCK" mania, as well as a pretty loud discussion about how turn-based combat was old-fashioned and dead. Trying to reinvent themselves to an audience that seemed to want focused and more linear experiences with a faster pace is exactly what you'd expect.

It's also worth remembering that while now we may be hype for random minigames, at the time "Why am I doing poo poo that isn't the main gameplay" was a pretty common refrain, with FFX being derided pretty regularly for having a bunch of minigames nobody liked. So they focused almost exclusively on just the main gameplay, polished it to a mirror shine, and made it the entire focus.

Yeah if one wants to understand FFXIII, you must first understand the culture around Japanese RPGs and games in general at the time. To which the short version is Supremely loving Racist the era of G4's "We nuked them and then they became a real country" or Phil Fish's "Modern Japanese games just suck" directly to a dev's face who was asking a genuine question. The Xenophobia wasn't just alive and well it was being gleefully drowned in. There was a desperate show from a lot of developers at the time to "be less japanese"

https://packaged-media.redd.it/wt4r...f627c2e31bc#t=0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest until the mobile game stuff, I think KH wasn't actually that hard to explain, it was just Vibes over Logic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are the mobile games THAT hard to explain though?

Days: Roxas joins a cult

BBS: Leonard Nimoy trolls some guys super hard

Re:coded: Sora goes inside a computer

3D: Inception but also time travel

Union X: Bunch of kids run around

Dark Road: A different bunch of kids get iced by a serial killer

Okay maybe I'm being a bit facetious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Are the mobile games THAT hard to explain though?

Days: Roxas joins a cult

BBS: Leonard Nimoy trolls some guys super hard

Re:coded: Sora goes inside a computer

3D: Inception but also time travel

Union X: Bunch of kids run around

Dark Road: A different bunch of kids get iced by a serial killer

I meant the mobile-mobile games, not the handhelds ones. The handheld ones are pretty easy to explain, it's Union X where I think it starts getting a bit convoluted (which stands out when it shows up in KH3.)

At its core the "Xehanort" series boils down to "Dude was really pissy about things, got way too deep into darkness, tried about seven different experiments to flood the worlds with eternal darkness, eventually went off to be a ghost with his husband."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sion from the Bouncer goes on a magical adventure with funny talking animals from Disney, whats there to be confused about?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

Sion from the Bouncer goes on a magical adventure with funny talking animals from Disney, whats there to be confused about?

Where's The Bouncer 2, SE? You can't discontinue both Tobal/Ehrgeiz AND The Bouncer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My story of The Bouncer is that I went with my grandmother to get it from the store but we got lost along the way and it took us like 2-3 hours to actually get there and come back, and I finished the Bouncer in 1/2 that time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mine was that I took a day off school to play it, and then I completed absolutely everything in the game by lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

I know it was a joke but that's what makes it even funnier. I actually remembered the devs comparing XIII to an FPS and I'm so glad I could find this interview again after all his time.

There are tons of crazy inspirations for this series. From past interviews I read, FF1's battle system was inspired by American football, the ATB system was inspired by F1 Racing.