Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 20 (1992)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

evilmiera posted:

More importantly why did they send the capsule into space, why not just send it into the sun to dispose of it if they absolutely have to send it somewhere?

What makes you think they were trying to dispose of it? Maybe it was a perfectly legitimate transfer of disease samples to Space CDC.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sending Kryptonian stuff into the yellow sun probably isn’t going to help as much as you’d like it to

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they could have sent it into their own, non-yellow sun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A joke I remember someone making about Silver Age Superman stories is that after a certain point it seems like Jor-El and Lara were the only Kryptonians who didn't leave before the planet exploded.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

A joke I remember someone making about Silver Age Superman stories is that after a certain point it seems like Jor-El and Lara were the only Kryptonians who didn't leave before the planet exploded.

Jor-El: "We must construct this space-travelling baby crib for our child, before it's too late!"

Krypton News: "Evacuation plans are proceeding well, as more and more transport ships and colony expeditions leave our doomed planet for new planets."

Jor-El: "If only our government would take this seriously! Nobody even knows we're doomed!"

Krypton News: "The Government has completed the pilot project to protect Kandor City with a dome, and launch the whole thing into space, where it will simply land on a new planet and carry on. Construction has begun for other major cities."

Jor-El: "The short-sighted fools!"

Some guy, sticking his head into Jor-El's lab door: "Hey, Jor buddy, you coming? Our transport is leaving in a few hours."

Jor-El: "You feebleminded simpleton! How are you so carefree when our entire civilization is about to die! I must save my son!"

Guy: "I got your family tickets right here, bud. First class, all the way!"

Jor-El: "I only wish that your mother and I could go with you, Kal-El, my son. If only we too could get off of this planet. Alas, I can only send you. And your cousin."

Guy: "Hey, if you don't want on this transport, there's like five hundred more."

Jor-El: "Go! Go live what little remains of your life in blessed ignorance!"

Guy: "Ok, man, hopefully I see you again when our transports all land on New Krypton. Don't be late!"

Jor-El: "My son, my son, we stay here to die, trapped by the folly of our people. Fare well, Kal-El, last of the Kryptonians."

Guy, popping his head back in, "Hey, want me to take your dog?"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darthemed posted:

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 20 (1992)

When you have people as strong as Ryoga walking around as part of day-to-day life, this policy makes sense

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TheCenturion posted:

Jor-El: "We must construct this space-travelling baby crib for our child, before it's too late!"

Krypton News: "Evacuation plans are proceeding well, as more and more transport ships and colony expeditions leave our doomed planet for new planets."

Jor-El: "If only our government would take this seriously! Nobody even knows we're doomed!"

Krypton News: "The Government has completed the pilot project to protect Kandor City with a dome, and launch the whole thing into space, where it will simply land on a new planet and carry on. Construction has begun for other major cities."

Jor-El: "The short-sighted fools!"

Some guy, sticking his head into Jor-El's lab door: "Hey, Jor buddy, you coming? Our transport is leaving in a few hours."

Jor-El: "You feebleminded simpleton! How are you so carefree when our entire civilization is about to die! I must save my son!"

Guy: "I got your family tickets right here, bud. First class, all the way!"

Jor-El: "I only wish that your mother and I could go with you, Kal-El, my son. If only we too could get off of this planet. Alas, I can only send you. And your cousin."

Guy: "Hey, if you don't want on this transport, there's like five hundred more."

Jor-El: "Go! Go live what little remains of your life in blessed ignorance!"

Guy: "Ok, man, hopefully I see you again when our transports all land on New Krypton. Don't be late!"

Jor-El: "My son, my son, we stay here to die, trapped by the folly of our people. Fare well, Kal-El, last of the Kryptonians."

Guy, popping his head back in, "Hey, want me to take your dog?"

Imagining it as Marlon Brando Jor-El makes it extra special.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

evilmiera posted:

I could go for a Sushi burrito

There's a burrito place near me that makes them. The default is smoked salmon, Kani, and a pickled cucumber salad wrapped in rice and a piece of nori.

Though you can get the pulled pork instead of salmon and Kani as a special request.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Manor #64 (1982)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Ghost Manor #64 (1982)

Uh-huh and why not?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uh-huh and why not?

That's actually a well-known UFO legend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

That's actually a well-known UFO legend.

Yeah OK why could it not have been fabricated?

I'm fabricating UFO things right now, in my mind.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Space-tarts, dropping from the sky, is no basis for a system for Brazilian farmhands to get laid!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I looked it up, and the original argument was that a dumb, Brazilian peasant farmer simply could not have made up such an intricate story. When he later became a lawyer, the ufologists argued that he was too respectable to have made up a story like that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My favorite 'are you serious' moment is when in Angels and Demons, Dan Brown describes how the Illuminati have a special symbol that spells 'Illuminati' both right side up and upside down, and that nobody except them can produce, or reproduce it.

He then reproduces it on the page so readers understand what it looks like.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TheCenturion posted:

He then reproduces it on the page so readers understand what it looks like.

I was going to ask to see it, but it popped right up with a Google search.

Unless the one I see on Google is a lie... :tinfoil:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Ghost Manor #64 (1982)

Why is he speaking Spanish if he's in Brazil?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He thought it was a Spanish lady.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kennel posted:

He thought it was a Spanish lady.

Right, because of Spain's famous space program in 1957.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Air Skwirl posted:

Right, because of Spain's famous space program in 1957.
Yeah, Spain didn't launch their first astronaut into space until 1973.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Nobody would ever lie about making contact with tiny humanoid girls.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

FMguru posted:

Yeah, Spain didn't launch their first astronaut into space until 1973.

That's the Basque Space Program, putting fascists on the moon whether they like it or not.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't know if covers count as panels but the new Nightwing cracked me up. (And yes, it is relevant to the plot).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Keen Detective Funnies #3 (1939)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't know if covers count as panels but the new Nightwing cracked me up. (And yes, it is relevant to the plot).

Holy God damned poo poo.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Air Skwirl posted:

Holy God damned poo poo.

I love that real-life comicbook writer Gail Simone makes an appearance in the book. Their blood-feud with Taylor is really serious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did he fridge her?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Lobok posted:

Did he fridge her?

Well kitty Damian did a number on her

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

Did he fridge her?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Rider 2099 #24 (1996)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It's an advert, but still

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Unkempt posted:

It's an advert, but still

Is he on OnlyFans?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would like to not meet this man, if that's an option

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t understand why people used lick to mean defeat

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Like a lot of weird English terms it probably came from Polari.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It comes from the Latin ligma

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Plastic Man #61 (1956)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thetoughestbean posted:

That meaning predates the tongue stuff. There's evidence of it in the Aeneid who attributed it to Etruscan Lictors who carried out corporal punishment. Being beaten by their rod of office was known as 'getting lict'..

To lick with a tongue came about ~1000 AD and since they sound similar started getting spelled the same as English evolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That meaning predates the tongue stuff. There's evidence of it in the Aeneid who attributed it to Etruscan Lictors who carried out corporal punishment. Being beaten by their rod of office was known as 'getting lict'..

To lick with a tongue came about ~1000 AD and since they sound similar started getting spelled the same as English evolved.

Yup, Lictors in Rome were a specific type of bodyguard, basically for government officials.

The thing to remember with English is that words come from all over the place, and sound-alike doesn't mean actually-alike.

For example, in English, the words 'male' and female' aren't etymologically related.

https://sillylinguistics.com/the-words-man-woman-male-and-female/

It's also why different words have different rules for pluralization, and why we have the whole 'i before e except after c except for exceptions like 'neighbour' or 'weigh.'' Does the word come from Latin? Welsh? Saxon? Angle? Dane? French? Somewhere else completely? Where it's from will determine, amoung other things, the whole 'i before e' thing.

Also 'goose' and 'geese' or 'mouse' and 'mice' vs 'bird' and 'birds' or 'cat' and 'cats.'

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 19, 2024