Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The really fun part about climate change is that if you ignore potentially self-limiting events such as the total destruction of industrial civilization then the problem is really unbounded, at least in terms of limits that would matter to an individual human. It can just keep getting worse and worse and worse which, if you want to be optimistic about things, means there's always a chance to prevent things from reaching some undefined worst case scenario. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the future (graph) has no bounds

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this is why I am optimistic about the total destruction of industrial civilization ☺️

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Sick poo poo

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Oh phew I was worried there for a moment.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I was listening to a podcast and got an ad for a new season of the Happiness Labs podcast that talks about climate change and happiness and poo poo and I drove my car off the road and died when they were really cheerfully talking about eating steak and still being green because they'll maximise they're enjoyment now and try to eat less co2 intensive foods the rest of the week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29CC7-34nJw

Write this on my tombstone

quote:

I also just struggle with the notion of completely giving up meat but I do like this idea that when I have it I should notice it and be like I am going to appreciate this and especially you know I have not even completely given up Steak I will still we don't have it at home anymore so it's something that I'll have like out at a restaurant and I'm like oh this is you know a special night I'm having steak I am definitely going to order a glass of wine I'm going to max out my pleasure here and so recognizing that when we're you know indulging in some carbon instead of feeling guilty about that we could go okay you know what this is a special treat and then you know in our daily lives try to be having more of these low carbon meals and the science really supports the idea that when we do these things like less often and we do them with more savoring they can increase more pleasure

niethan has issued a correction as of 10:58 on Jan 16, 2024

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There's a prevalence of therapy concerns in climate discussions ("Give me a reason to live" from that stupid NYT interview is a good summation) that I feel will keep getting bigger in the first world as reality sets in. Climate change is real, but it's important for my mental health to act as if it's not. So what do you do when its consequences intrude into everyone's life?

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

YaketySass posted:

There's a prevalence of therapy concerns in climate discussions ("Give me a reason to live" from that stupid NYT interview is a good summation) that I feel will keep getting bigger in the first world as reality sets in. Climate change is real, but it's important for my mental health to act as if it's not. So what do you do when its consequences intrude into everyone's life?

Eat a steak about it, apparently

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Excuse me waiter it says here the Diet Carbons are half as harmful as a normal can of Carbon, is that true? Oh in that case I will have 3

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

niethan posted:

Write this on my tombstone
I also just struggle with the notion of completely giving up meat but I do like this idea that when I have it I should notice it and be like I am going to appreciate this and especially you know I have not even completely given up Steak I will still we don't have it at home anymore so it's something that I'll have like out at a restaurant and I'm like oh this is you know a special night I'm having steak I am definitely going to order a glass of wine I'm going to max out my pleasure here and so recognizing that when we're you know indulging in some carbon instead of feeling guilty about that we could go okay you know what this is a special treat and then you know in our daily lives try to be having more of these low carbon meals and the science really supports the idea that when we do these things like less often and we do them with more savoring they can increase more pleasure

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Paradoxish posted:

The really fun part about climate change is that if you ignore potentially self-limiting events such as the total destruction of industrial civilization then the problem is really unbounded, at least in terms of limits that would matter to an individual human. It can just keep getting worse and worse and worse which, if you want to be optimistic about things, means there's always a chance to prevent things from reaching some undefined worst case scenario. :)

What if I want to see the worst case scenario because my brain has been poisoned by video game achievements

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
is there a timeline or prediction of when Miami becomes uninhabitable due to sea level rise?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Define uninhabitable

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

There will be people floating in boats above it, going "see, it's fine"

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

YaketySass posted:

Focus on noticing the delicious strawberry medium rare ribeye within arms reach.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

This is like a bizzaro "in this house we believe" sign.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Pillowpants posted:

is there a timeline or prediction of when Miami becomes uninhabitable due to sea level rise?

I will hazard a guess that a trickshot from a hurricane will be the major impetus. Until then it's a slow burn. The rising water table pecking away at infrastructure doesn't make everyone pack up and leave at the same time.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

americans eat on average 60lbs of beef per year, over a pound a week. if you cut beef out of your diet 'at home' or just generally most of the time, but then have one fancy restaurant steak dinner every other month, you are consuming 90% less beef than average. 90% reductions in the #1 dietary source of emissions is a plenty reasonable goal.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

for every steak you enjoy I’ll eat three and hate every moment

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's going to melt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIkdqgvRMcY

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

good, hopefully it will make our favourite graph go back down

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

Probably when random buildings start to collapse

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MightyBigMinus posted:

americans eat on average 60lbs of beef per year, over a pound a week. if you cut beef out of your diet 'at home' or just generally most of the time, but then have one fancy restaurant steak dinner every other month, you are consuming 90% less beef than average. 90% reductions in the #1 dietary source of emissions is a plenty reasonable goal.

phew, so glad i brought the average down to 59.99999999999999999 lbs of beef a week. we did it!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
hey thread what is your favourite ecologically unsustainable treat

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hubbert posted:

Living.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hubbert posted:

Microplastics

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

idling in a traffic jam

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hubbert posted:

Commuting by private jet

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Hubbert posted:

Clothes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Potable air.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Posting on the internet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

shelter

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

YaketySass posted:

demand the poor be murdered so your habits can resume, duh

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

starkebn posted:

good, hopefully it will make our favourite graph go back down

:mods:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hubbert posted:

internet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hubbert posted:

cum

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

Oh no! You cut your beef consumption by 90%! Where will one find someone else to eat that beef you ain't touching?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Oh no! You cut your beef consumption by 90%! Where will one find someone else to eat that beef you ain't touching?

no need, more food gets tossed than eaten already anyway, what's a few pounds more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

trucutru posted:

jevons' cow