Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Sucrose posted:

Most Canadians live to the south of Seattle, and more than 70% of them live below the 49th parallel.

I live in Northern Ontario, but I'm still only at the 46th parallel. It's the same distance north of the equator as the border between Oregon and Washington. The most southern part of Ontario is at about the same latitude as the northern border of California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a little nuts how much colder the same latitude often is in the US versus Europe. Philadelphia is further south than Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, and Istanbul.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a little nuts how much colder the same latitude often is in the US versus Europe. Philadelphia is further south than Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, and Istanbul.

I learned about this as a kid visiting some friends in France during the winter, at an even higher latitude than where we lived. It was generally comfortable outdoors weather over there, what I'd think of as pleasant fall weather. Getting on a plane after a few weeks of that and stepping off it hours later into classic Midwestern winter was quite the shock.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm in Ireland and am at the same latitude as Kamchatka, the Bering Straits and bits of Alaska.
It barely ever snows here and we get a hard frost maybe 5 days a year.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pookah posted:

I'm in Ireland and am at the same latitude as Kamchatka, the Bering Straits and bits of Alaska.
It barely ever snows here and we get a hard frost maybe 5 days a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWolvZIqZ2A

---------

Dick Sargent's real surname was "Cox"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I keep reading the title as "world's biggest hit" and I'm like "me :smug:"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yah once the gulf stream finally reverses or stops entirely it’ll be really fun

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I only learned that NYC is at the same latitude as Rome pretty recently

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Any city is on the same arbitrary line as any other.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's true. a nd many of them are large and chaotic and there's often a terrible smell. there are many similarities with one's mother.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One that's probably only relevant to Australians is that Perth is further north than Sydney.

On my mental map of Australia I've always placed Sydney somewhere in the middle of the east coast but it's much further south than that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat I'm not from Straya and even I knew that

Mainly because I thought perth was a lot further north

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And get this guys, it's called Australia, but actually

Oh wait. Never mind.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah it's Brisbane that's halfway up the East coast

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I thought Jason Sudeikis was the shlub from How I Met Your Mother, but that's some other guy. The guy who is Jason Sudeikis is a guy I thought was Ed Helms this entire time. I mean, I know who Ed Helms is, I just... never realized Ed Helmes is not also Jason Sudeikis who is also not the guy from that tv show.

Two different people, so says imdb

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
nah same guy, all three.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah it's Brisbane that's halfway up the East coast

Queensland is insanely huge.
Another FUN thing about maps of Australia is that cartographers feel uncomfortable about empty spaces and will fill them up with absurdly small towns. Anyone want to guess the population of Ivanhoe, New South Wales, that's there on the map?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They also got bored and made the font bigger in no relation to population for some of these places.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

Another FUN thing about maps of Australia is that cartographers feel uncomfortable about empty spaces and will fill them up with absurdly small towns. Anyone want to guess the population of Ivanhoe, New South Wales, that's there on the map?

Is it less than Diehard?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

Is it less than Diehard?

*scoffs* Ivanhoe is nearly twice the size of Diehard!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In an area of the world where there aren't a lot of people, very small [I can't remember what taajama is in English and am too lethargic to move my hands enough to Google it]s are notable and should appear on maps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Bucket posted:

I was going to say “twenty”, but then I looked it up so that I wouldn’t be embarrassed in guessing hilariously wrong.

Eh, close enough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Without looking it up, it's just a guy called Ivanhoe lives there

e: I was pretty close

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Australia really has a village named after the historical novel Ivanhoe ?

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In an area of the world where there aren't a lot of people, very small [I can't remember what taajama is in English and am too lethargic to move my hands enough to Google it]s are notable and should appear on maps.

I looked it up and got "penis".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MyronMulch posted:

I looked it up and got "penis".

turn on your monitor

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

turn on your monitor

sounds like vice versa

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyone want to guess the population of Ivanhoe, New South Wales, that's there on the map?

About one sixty-eighth the population of Ivanhoe, Victoria, which is around seven hours away

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tree Bucket posted:

I noticed the same thing on holiday in much much smaller New Zealand. We were using paper maps at the time, and I remember when we were going from Lake Wanaka to Queenstown, the map showed us passing though what looked like a small town. It turned out to be a crossroads with maybe a postbox or something. Not even a single house in sight.

I tried to find the place on google maps, but the closest I can find to where I remember it being appears to be a fence completely covered in bras.

So that's a thing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pookah posted:

I tried to find the place on google maps, but the closest I can find to where I remember it being appears to be a fence completely covered in bras.

So that's a thing.

Well yeah, it's a brabed wire fence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Trabant posted:

Well yeah, it's a brabed wire fence.

:mods:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah that's what it is called idk what to tell u

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The word "restauranteur" does not actually have an n in it :aaaaa:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

What the gently caress is that then?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The existence of restaurateurs implies the existence of staurateurs, prestaurateurs, and poststaurateurs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also that's the male form of the noun, the female form is restauratrice

And the original form of 'restaurant' meant the same as restorant (something that restores your health, in this case food) and 'restaurateur' archaically also referred to someone who restores broken items or a doctor who sets broken bones

https://www.etymonline.com/word/restaurant
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/644230/why-its-spelled-restaurateur-not-restauranteur

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"horse" isn't actually cognate with Latin "equus" or from PIE "*h₁éḱwos".

It is, however, cognate with "car" :geno:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Splendid posted:

"horse" isn't actually cognate with Latin "equus" or from PIE "*h₁éḱwos".

It is, however, cognate with "car" :geno:

WHAT

holy poo poo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FreudianSlippers posted:

Australia really has a village named after the historical novel Ivanhoe ?

Yes.
If it helps, a lot of these little towns started as family farms that didn't stop. Which is why my town shares its name with a book of notably bad poetry (and a genus of North Atlantic copepods, but that's coincidence)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"The Beach That Makes You Old" is actually taken from a 2021 film.

The film is about a beach that makes you old.