Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao went to post this, never remembered the giant promotional inflatable just earlier in the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

haveblue posted:

hot take: revolutions is better than reloaded

does anyone actually reliably remember which name is 2 and which is 3?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
barbarian: not bad but you could go your life without seeing it and it wouldn't be a big deal. I did like when the guy finds a mysterious secret tunnel in his basement and he immediately checks to see if the extra square footage adds to the value of his house.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
matrix sequels are the most boring movies ever made

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cerv posted:

does anyone actually reliably remember which name is 2 and which is 3?

Yes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao went to post this, never remembered the giant promotional inflatable just earlier in the scene.

lol what movie is that from?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight posted:

film is pretty stable if stored right. even the recent scans of 70s Shaw Kung fu movies look dang good

yeah that "if stored right" is a big question though. didn't the star wars masters need a lot of work?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol what movie is that from?

falling down

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

yeah that "if stored right" is a big question though. didn't the star wars masters need a lot of work?
not from what I remember? Fox was pretty good about keeping their cash cow franchise stuff ( Star Wars, Indy, Alien etc.) in top shape.

like ignoring the CGI poop Lucas added, the special editions looked drat good

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
theyve done like 3 or 4 refreshes to the star wars trilogy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think the box vhs set we had in like 1990 was refreshed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
1995, I have the LDs

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i just remember an ad for this before the movie started

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it was this one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the og star wars logo is sick

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

out of all the bullshit that they came back and changed for the worse in the star wars trilogy, probably the least-recognized crime is renaming "star wars" to "star wars episode iv: a new hope." the title looked cool, it was such a crisp and great title, and they retconned it to sound like a middle chapter in the simarillion

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
dunno why you're going with "they" when we know the culprit's name is george lucas

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh yeah that was an older one. I was thinking of the "Last Ever Edition" with the faces on the cover.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i cannot believe elijah wood was only 20 when lotr was made holy poo poo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

oh yeah that was an older one. I was thinking of the "Last Ever Edition" with the faces on the cover.

the last “clean” release before george went off the rails with the theatrical rereleases

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i wish i still had those tapes so i could watch the non-hosed version

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
god it'd be so funny if they brought George back to do his version of the sequel trilogy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

star wars is fine, but it isn't good enough to get as worked up about as people do

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

i wish i still had those tapes so i could watch the non-hosed version
the de-specialized versions are an option :)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
no i need my vintage star wars where no other trilogies exist

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

indigi posted:

god it'd be so funny if they brought George back to do his version of the sequel trilogy

there is nothing more in life i want than this

it would be so funny

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
imagine if george lucas wrote 3 aaron sorkin films

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

already eviscerated the old logo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the boomer white guy who gets to gently caress lot of young women would be called like “Stud Wiseman” and he’d take Naive Engenue [her name, not a description] under his wing after her boss Shrew Seeward was super mean to her

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

indigi posted:

i wonder how irritated he would get if someone asked him "hey so george when are you gonna do a special edition of the prequels??"

echinopsis posted:

already eviscerated the old logo

i think one of the old theatrical re-releases in the late 70s had A New Hope entered back when they were getting ready to release Empire Strikes Back

it's been forever since i read it but i remember an article (or poo poo, maybe it was just a forums post) that pointed out that ol' george was fuckin' around with the movies since almost right after it came out

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

i wonder how irritated he would get if someone asked him "hey so george when are you gonna do a special edition of the prequels??"
I'm pretty sure he's done multiple versions of the prequels already lol

quote:

i think one of the old theatrical re-releases in the late 70s had A New Hope entered back when they were getting ready to release Empire Strikes Back
yeah it was added to the 1981 re-release, so after Empire had come out as episode v

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

it's been forever since i read it but i remember an article (or poo poo, maybe it was just a forums post) that pointed out that ol' george was fuckin' around with the movies since almost right after it came out

I think the leading theory is money he didn't have to share with the ex-wife who edited the very first movie into something coherent and enjoyable, so he undid all her work with his magic touch and endless CGI radiation, twisting the original film into a cinematic mockery of science fiction

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Lucas has stated that he always intended for Greedo to shoot first.In 2015, a replica of an early script for Star Wars was discovered in the archives of the University of New Brunswick library. In the script, dated March 15, 1976, only Han shoots.
lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's extremely weird how lucas won't just admit that he made everything up as he went along. I don't think anyone would even care, either.

But that makes him feel this weird need to lie about han shooting first to pretend that han, like darth vader, etc. was actually intended to be a recurring character in a trilogy that was planned out from the beginning rather than just being a random seedy character like you would expect in the type of serials george lucas was actually originally trying to copy in his movies

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 16, 2024

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SWChat I'm still checking Usenet every few months but still no 4K80.2160p , they must be putting a fine polish on this release. 77 and 83 have been available for ages, there must be some extra work needed for this final one.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ll have to check on the status of that, the print they have for 4k80 is in a lot worse shape than 77/83, I forget if they were going to try to finish it or wait for a better print to materialize

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

laserghost posted:

I think the leading theory is money he didn't have to share with the ex-wife who edited the very first movie into something coherent and enjoyable, so he undid all her work with his magic touch and endless CGI radiation, twisting the original film into a cinematic mockery of science fiction

i get why people might think that but george has not come close to "undoing all her work" because the overall structure is still the same. like, the pre-marcia cut was substantially different, if i remember right the whole "death star is attacking yavin" thing was put together almost* entirely in editing and originally it was just the rebels sending their ships to go blow up the death star

*pretty sure they had to do at least a little extra effects shooting for the rebels' status board and the death star tactical display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh yeah one 35mm print i know is in great shape is Wizards because several years ago i went to a screening at the Hollywood Theater in portland oregon and i remember thinking "wow, goddamn, this looks incredible, amazing transfer" and then in the little post-movie event they mentioned that Fox had been kind enough to let them borrow/rent a 35mm print

they even got the original score composer out and he played some of the music live. whole lot of fun.