Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat some games recently

pentiment - great game, the third act just slightly fumbles the marbles but not enough to really leave a stain on what is a tremendously good experience.

doom 2 - this game is really good but that middle chunk of city levels can suck my rear end. what the gently caress was up with that level with the big fortress in the middle? that felt like someone had accidentally stuck one of nocturne's identical corridor teleport mazes in a doom game. also the icon of sin sucks. doom 64 still has the only good final boss.

producer 2021 - this game rocks. you really can't go wrong with these surreal, short, cheap text games. this one is about a guy who is woken up by a phone call (he doesn't have a phone) telling him he's been hired as the new producer (he has no experience) so he instantly leaps out of his window and slides down a pile of compost to his car (he's forgotten his car keys).

olli olli - still undefeated as the premier high octane high speed precision platformer arcade scoring game . . . on a skateboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Most recent thing I've beat is Quantum Break, Remedy's multimedia action game/TV show about time powers and the end of the world, the big thing they made between Alan Wake and Control. The "TV show" part is huge 20-30 minute live action cutscenes that show the game's events from a different angle because during actual gameplay you're locked in on the protagonist Jack Joyce. Starts as a passable cover shooter, then as you unlock your time powers and enemies who also have powers it gets a lot more active. Jack is really the weakest character of the whole thing, being mostly unconnected to the actual events of the plot because he just spent six years away. There are plot-important reasons for why the protag has to be relatively unconnected to what's going on but it still means a lot of the wilder background stuff goes unseen. Following someone else would've probably been more interesting and the "plot-important reasons" could've been reworked because after all those are being made up by the writers.

Still a pretty fun game. The live-action cutscenes were surprisingly good, like quality TV sci-fi, which is of course what they were going for. Lance Reddick was absolutely the central pillar holding up so much else with his performance, though, and well... RIP.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Finished the System Shock remake. I beat this when it came out in its original version, back in 98, and this is a stunningly good remake. Everything pops, the guns feel great, the graphics manage to somehow be both retro and slick/modern at the same time. SHODAN is as good a villain as ever and the game really doesn't hold your hand. People have complained about the very ending (last 15 minutes), but it's actually fine, you run round in a cyberspace level shooting stuff, it's actually better than the original.

Very strong recommend if you like immersive Sims, this is the granddaddy and they've done it proud.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished the Obra Din DLC. Not as good as the base game, felt like I needed to make more leaps of logic to solve the puzzles but still a lot of fun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SirSamVimes posted:

Finished the Obra Din DLC. Not as good as the base game, felt like I needed to make more leaps of logic to solve the puzzles but still a lot of fun.

I beg your pardon?!

edit: what a sick tease - I assume you meant golden idol.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I did indeed mean Golden Idol. The names keep getting mixed up in my brain.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Goddamn I read Obra Dinn DLC and shouted “what the gently caress?!” at my phone IRL

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Finished Anodyne 2: Return to Dust and reached an ending in Slay the Princess. They're good and I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow trying to find a way to turn my thoughts on them into coherent words.

I made a list of 10 games I'd finish this year and I've already burned through 4 of them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SirSamVimes posted:

I did indeed mean Golden Idol. The names keep getting mixed up in my brain.

What's real funny is how many people call it The Curse of the Golden Idol.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished a run of Resident Evil 4. Never played the original, but the new version was fantastic. No less than a handful of times did I say something like “Jesus Christ!”, “…poo poo”, etc. for Leon to repeat me verbatim a moment later. I feel you, man.

In my first session, my kid got out of bed and tapped me on the shoulder in perfect timing with Leon falling through a collapsed floor. It was quite the experience. 10/10 would scream in a child’s face again.

Now to check out the DLC and plan another challenge play through!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Where's everyone going? Bingo?"
Two seconds later: :aaaaa:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RE0 Amazing how some men will wake up and make Leeches their whole personality.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm continuing to try and play every post-Underground Need For Speed and so finished Need For Speed Carbon which pretty quickly slotted in at the top of my NFS ranking. Mostly because Yumi's wig is hilarious.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just beat Far Cry 5. As far as I'm aware, it was a 100% playthrough.

To me, it's still the best Far Cry. I really like the setting, to the point where I want to free that gorgeous place from the cult. I also like the cult aspect (especially the nods to actual cults, like John Seed not being David Koresh) and it feels like the right level of complexity. Everything can be modified, which can make things more fun, but you're not forced to carry particular weapons or things.

I feel like the RNG can sometimes make things way more chaotic than the game ever intended, but those bursts of chaos can be pretty hilarious sometimes too so...it's not all bad.

Overall, love the setting, love the enemies, love the complexity, it's probably one of my favourite games of all time.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Momodora: Moonlit Farewell

It's ok. A competent Metroidvania that sounds and looks pleasant, but which I found to be too easy in both exploration and fight aspects.

There are quite a few systems in this game to manage, such as companions and sigils, but after finding a few that I thought were good I never really engaged with them. The game didn't provide insentive by mixing my playstyle when I beat most of the bosses including all the final ones my first try.

Exploration isn't bad, but it's only fun because you keep finding permanent upgrades and not because you actually engage with the world. For some reason every single item gets marked on your map as soon as you uncover the map square, and if I remember right there are no hidden rooms at all, so it becomes a game about looking at the map to see if you missed anything.

I might get more enjoyment from the game via post-game "arranged" mode which promises more surprises, but the boss refight mode felt underwhelming. You refight bosses in one of two modes - original with health boosted to your stats, or remixed "nightmare" mode, and from what I've played "Nightmare" bosses are about as easy as normal ones, just with one attack added or a permadeath zone somewhere in the arena.

I've enjoyed what I've played of this game and I can't describe my 6 hours with it as bad, but I really wish there was more to test me, in terms of combat, platforming, exploration - anything! As it stands I can only describe it as fine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Finished Chained Echoes a few days ago, currently working on the plat.

It was pretty good. I didn't find it as great as lots of others did, but I enjoyed a lot of the mechanics and the quick-paced battles.

Biggest issue I had was the number of characters you got. By the time I had a roster large enough to fill out my party (eight people), I was feeling like it was a lot to manage, but then it kept adding more, to the point where when the last two people joined I just didn't care about them in the slightest, and have yet to use them even once. When you start, every party member feels like they have a role to play - debuffing, buffing, elemental damage, different elemental damage, healing, etc. Then you start getting more people that are just, like, the same, but usually worse, or they have multiple roles, or the one that's basically just random damage and effects almost all the time, which is really useless.

A very interesting story, moreso because of its limited scope - it's a rare thing when a jrpg introduces a world but only takes place on a single part of it, even after gaining an airship. Likewise, the story involves a world-ending foe called the Harbinger and the fact that it's starting to wake up, but the plot you play just involves confronting other beings that would destroy life to keep that foe contained. You never encounter the Harbinger at all. It makes the world feel huge, both literally and figuratively, and really sets up a lot of sequel possibility, something that games like Final Fantasy, which tend to take up the entire world and face off against enormous legendary foes, can't really do.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I beat viewfinder last night. There's a big difficulty spike in the last bit like in the witness. It ends on a hopeful note. I didn't do any optional challenges but I may do that next. The mechanics are really fun and I hope to see similar mechanics in other games

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Finished replaying The Talos Principle and then playing the DLC Road to Gehenna for the first time. Puzzle-wise the game definitely holds up -- there's a good mix of mechanics to provide variety, although there's a few too many similar late-game puzzles. The secret stars are great because of how they encourage you to break the puzzles by bringing in extra items or connecting lasers between puzzles, which is quite satisfying. The DLC mostly focuses on some of the more obscure interactions between mechanics, so there's actually quite a few new ideas here.

Story-wise, the game is okay. It starts you off with a disembodied voice telling you that he is ELOHIM, creator of the world, and he commands you to solve all these puzzles and collect the sigils in them. Many others have tried before you, and you find notes and comments from some of them along the way. You also find audio logs and computer terminals containing a few documents, which quickly reveal that the entire world you're in is a constructed simulation and that ELOHIM is part of it, not its creator. The audio logs are the best part of the story, I'd say.

The other use of the computer terminals is to have conversations with Milton Library Assistant, who will ask you philosophical questions and then insult you in different ways depending on your answers. There's a lot of dialogue options but they don't actually matter, because every variation leads towards the same conversation near the end of the game. Depending on your choices this final conversation can conclude in three different ways, which also do not matter. Mostly it feels like Milton was added to fit with the religious imagery -- we need to have a snake in the Garden of Eden, so here he is -- and the dev team never really managed to integrate him with the rest of the game. It's quite telling that the game never gives you the option to stop talking to Milton and just walk away from the terminal -- once he starts talking you must continue the conversation, even if you think talking to him is a waste of time.

The DLC has you play as a different character, after the events of the base game. The simulation has served its purpose and is being shut down, so ELOHIM sends you off to the Gehenna, a separate part of the simulation where he imprisoned some of your predecessors for various reasons, so that you can free the prisoners before the final shutdown. The computer terminals are still around, but now they are used to read Gehenna's message board -- since everyone in Gehenna is imprisoned in a small cell with nothing but a terminal for company, they spend their time telling each other stories and writing and playing text adventures. This concept is a big improvement over the base game, as the game's writers are much better at being funny than at being profound.

So yeah. Good puzzles, passable writing. The sequel seems to have been positively received, so I'll probably play it at some point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Talos 2 is a slam dunk of a sequel in basically every way so anyone who liked 1 should play it, although there’s so much of it (132 puzzles plus some other stuff) that starting it right after 1 could maybe lead to some burnout

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I beat Metro: Last Light and thought it was extremely middling. Bit of a relic from the past felt like, a very stereotypical Videogamey game, but it's only ten years old. Maybe this type of game is still being made these days and I'm out of touch with that part of the industry (I could believe it as I hardly play AAA stuff). Level design was kind of underwhelming too. And every fight with mutants was pure rear end. There were some nice touches here and there though (like how in the theater show one dancer was perpetually out of sync and struggling to keep up with the others).

Last week beat The Forgotten City and that was fabulous, but it was kinda funny how despite no longer being a mod for Skyrim there was still some Skyrimesque jank to it, like NPCs saying weird inappropriate poo poo at inappropriate times. The ending sequence went on a bit long but otherwise it's a very good time.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten DRAINUS

I barely play shmups so I've got no idea what separates a good shmup from a great one.

All I can say is that I had a hell of a time with DRAINUS. Its mechanics are fairly simple - around 90% of shots thrown at you you can absorb by turning on the shield and then fire back. Throughout the game you also get energy tanks you can spend on upgrading your ship in any way you like, from adding more options, weapons, or base stats, to upgrading your shields and bomb capacity.

With how little experience I have with the genre I went into the game on Easy, and I think this might've been a mistake. The game has 5 or 6 difficulty modes, with some being unlocked after completion, and it seems like the easy skill is basically just power fantasy. I think I died 3 times in total.

The game seems pretty forgiving: it doesn't kill you on the first hit, so I'd advise even new players to go for Normal (unless it's a complete hell later on, but the first stage seemed fine to me). Rest assured, I'll be replaying this game.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been bouncing around little horror projects or "experiences" that I really enjoyed lately, in non-chronological order:

skin a gentle blue <1hr -- You find a horrific tome. Text puzzle game.

Who's Lila ~5hr -- VN that has you control your character's facial expressions instead of dialogue / also on Steam

Paratopic <1h -- you're smuggling VHS tapes across the border / Also on Steam

Water womb world ~15m -- You're investigating the fall of eden at the bottom of the ocean

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 20, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I finished Metal Gear 1/2!

Very neat little games they were really interesting for their time. Too bad they still have some really bad design decisions like how much back tracking there is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beat Phantom liberty, goddam that was a ride.

When I say beat I didn't do the incredibly downer ending so imo my V will just continue being awesome until the 2080s

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Finished up The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom in early December, about 330 hours total. Pulled an all-nighter to beat it followed by an all-dayer to edit this montage followed by getting sick for a month (just the straw that broke the camel's back, my diet was terrible last year).

No story, dungeon, or boss spoilers if you're still avoiding them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJj7aoW6Bc

You don't really see it in the video, the bulk of my playthrough was completing the caves (all of them), navigating across the sky islands, and plenty of Ultrahand - it's the perfect mix of being flexible and intuitive.

The new tools are by far the highlight. Ascend especially feels like it should break the game, but instead feels as smooth as gliding.

You don't get Breath of the Wild's pure sense of exploration, but the toybox meta is still very fulfilling.

As for the weakest point...note that I didn't use a music track from this game, or any of the past three Zeldas for that matter - they've only managed a tiny handful of classic tunes between them. -_-

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Beat Mega Man 11 today.

It took me a minute to get into the gameplay flow; I'm not certain if the new aesthetics were messing with me, the Double Gear system wasn't my cup of tea (speed gear is fine, but I only ever used power gear during the boss rush at the end), or if I've just grown out of MM-style games; I didn't particularly enjoy the last few MM Zero knockoffs I played, and it took me a while to get through this because I wasn't clicking with the gameplay until like Wily 2.

I might replay it to see how I really feel about it, but I dunno

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Finished Evil West, a game about cowboys fighting vampires through the medium of punching them with electrically charged power gloves. It's a good time and once you start getting combat abilities things can get really fun as you start dashing around the fights uppercutting everything into everything else. It does overstay its welcome though, it has 16 missions and I was ready for it to be done around 12. Not a huge issue, it's about 8-9 hours but I would've been happy if they'd cut the first 2 bosses that are basically big enemies that spawn other enemies as they were more annoying to fight. The last 2 though were proper 1v1 fights that take place at a great pace, also they have mid-boss checkpoints which I love to see and probably lessened the frustration that the first 2 bosses which don't have checkpoints caused. It's one of the Playstation+ games this month so well worth a play if you got it through that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I beat Xenoblade Chronicles 3 today. I don't think its best parts necessarily reached the heights of the best parts of 1 and 2, but overall I think it was the best in the trilogy. I did feel a bit burned out on side content by the end, but obviously that was optional, and it certainly wasn't just compulsion that led me to doing way more of it than I did in 1 or 2--it was just a lot better designed in that regard. My only real knock might be that the combat system was a worse/dumbed down version of the one in 2, and I was pretty tired of it by the end, but I still think it was overall a good combat system compared to most other RPGs, and it's hard to think of a system that wouldn't get a little boring after almost 100 hours. Overall it's an excellent game, and would have easily been my GOTY if I'd played it last month, and still feels like it has to be a serious contender even with FF7R2 and Infinite Wealth coming out soon.

Even after dumping so many hours into it, I'm having a hard time not jumping straight into the DLC, but I think I need to let it breathe a bit and play something else first.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
Finally beat God of War (2018). I dropped out the first time I played around a quarter into the game, but was pulled back to try again after just buying a PS 5. Not a difficult game, but the combat and narrative was still satisfying enough (other than Atreus becoming a complete prick for a bit when he finds out he is also a god) that I'm not sure why I stalled out the first time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Just finished Jusant in an afternoon. Only three hours long but it's a cinematic experience akin to something like Journey or Abzu, if you enjoyed those you would probably like this as well. I think it's possible to play with mouse + keyboard but I used a controller as recommended, the climbing mechanics feel intuitive and the game throws enough gimmicks at you to vary things up between chapters. Not bad to pick up at the current $20 sale, definitely worth wishlisting for when it goes on sale cheaper down the line.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Recently finished up CULTIC and I'm posting my Steam review here:

A great boomer-shooter that combines elements from Blood and Resident Evil 4: from Blood it takes the horror/occult themes, ridiculous gibby gore and the tactical yet fast-paced combat of using cover, peeking, and clearing rooms with dynamite before entry to deal with deadly hitscanners, and from RE4 it takes the weapon upgrading system and campaign pacing where every level is something fresh and provides so much spectacle.

Even after beating it, I was raring to get right back to replaying it on Extreme difficulty: the game's just that satisfying to play in general. Speaking of, the game's also ridiculously cheap for the amount of content you get: the campaign already would've been enough, but with a bonus interlude level and a survival arena, it's a steal!

If I had to find something bad, I will say that my first impression of it wasn't the greatest: for example, the choppy animation for enemies can make it awkward to anticipate their movements and aim precisely, and in particular, dealing with hitscanners at extreme long ranges in open areas who react to you immediately made the game feel like such a pixel-hunt snipefest. However, once you get used to the combat design (which can be awkward if you have come from more run-n-gun shooters, as I did) and get better tools to deal with engagements, it grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just beat Remnant 2 with a couple friends tonight. The ending was certainly not what I was expecting, though I am curious where the DLC will go.

Really good game, though I wish it was a little longer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Just beat Remnant 2 with a couple friends tonight. The ending was certainly not what I was expecting, though I am curious where the DLC will go.

Really good game, though I wish it was a little longer.

if you've just done the one campaign, there's still a bunch of content you haven't seen yet. Each of the 3 main areas has 2 different possible storylines with different areas and last boss, only one of which appears per campaign/adventure, so doing the other storyline in each area will show you a bunch of things you didn't see the first time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Note that each of the different storylines also has multiple variations on the last boss with a different weapon material.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

I have survived Alien: Dark Descent.

Great game, the best "not-xcom" I've played. It does a good job of mixing stealth into the usual formula, it's really tense and it's insane what you have to survive near the end. I slid across the finish line with my only remaining 3 soldiers on the last possible day using just a handful of sentry guns and running for my life.

Only problems I had were some weird bugs that made me reload a few times, including a great one where a soldier was in a coma, but that didn't stop him from scooting along the floor with the rest of my squad and making sniper rifle shots.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just beat Alan Wake 2 last night.

It took me a long time because horror games are not typically my jam, and I had to be in the right kind of mood to get into it. I love Remedy's narrative stuff though so I pushed through and it was absolutley worth it. All of the ways the live action stuff was integrated into the game itself was really cool and well done, and added a neat meta touch to things. There are not very many games that I would go and explore the story beyond what the game delivered, but the whole Remedy connected universe thing is really fun and seeing all the ties to Control that I didn't catch was cool. Like in Control there is a whole conversation Jessie has with her brother about Mr. Door. CRAZY!

Really enjoyed it besides it not being my typical genre, and I can't wait to see what Remedy does next.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I got 100% achievements in Devil Daggers :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZeV1-D8w0

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Congrats on this one, that is incredibly difficult

I just beat Signalis, had a great time, loved the atmosphere and the artsiness of it. Reflexively started a new game and it immediately got even cooler. Strongly recommend the game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i just finished up Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, which i played on a whim since infinite wealth is out next week (and also i forgot to cancel game pass this month and felt like i should play something to justify it).

like (i think?) a lot of people, i kinda respected the yakuza series from afar from 0-6. i got about halfway into 0 so i had a general idea of who kiryu was though not really where all his story went. i finally got into the series with 7, and thought the old guy cameos were cute, but was glad the game didn't really expect you to know who they were. now, in infinite wealth, they've decided to give kiryu a goodbye, and that's understandable, but it really fucks me up as someone who knows nothing about this guy. so i decided to slam through gaiden to see if it'd help

and it does! kind of. i think they could have used a couple-paragraph story explainer with a few details. like, they show flashbacks, they contextualize the orphanage, they... kind of contextualize yumi though certainly not any details there, but i think just giving you a quick rundown of kiryu's life (minus all the yakuza politics that make up the bulk of the wikipedia plot summaries for the games that end up more or less pretty irrelevant here) would have helped. i know you can say "well it's just a weird side story for hardcore fans anyways," but, like, this is a game that had a sponsored wrestling match on american cable tv, clearly they were hoping to pull in more than just the existing fanbase. i think maybe they thought the flashbacks were enough that giving an up-front kiryu summary would have removed some interesting story beats for new players where they get to experience learning about kiryu, but the story doesn't really feel built around that.

i do suspect this isn't really needed kiryu lore for Infinite Wealth, though, given how it wraps up. i can imagine in IW they'll contextualize kiryu as "legendary fighter who has accomplished his last goal in life and is now at peace, but has to join back up for One Last Job" and that might be all you need to understand to get a full emotional arc.

and just to get the rest of my story thoughts out of the way, with all of that context in mind: i like the pieces they've set up for infinite wealth, with the antagonists becoming daidoji agents. they did way less to set up kiryu in hawaii than i expected, giving him a reason to be there but not really like a "and here's what he's doing next thing," but i guess showing why he joins ichiban's party might be an early reveal in infinite wealth or something rather than something to show in this game. the castle was a cool location, akame was cool, everything was cool. i'm a huge dumbass and was genuinely caught off guard by shishido's last turn and enjoyed that a lot.

and of course the kiryu cutscene with the grave camera is a heartbreaker, even as someone who's only gone on a short journey with this character and not a 250 hour one. drat!!

so gameplay... man i just don't like yakuza brawling. i watched my sister play all of judgment last year and thought it looked kind of fun, and i do enjoy some aspects of the brawling, but at the end of the day i am just never going to engage with this combat system in a deep way. i did a handful of side quests (hi kaito!! please show up in infinite wealth!!), but i don't think i'll even progress far enough in the coliseum to reach the last tier of akame status which you need to unlock the last few quests. i probably can power through the side quest fights via healing items, at least? i am happy for the people who like the combat system in this game enough to do hell team battle and whatever, but oh man, that is so not me. it felt like something only put in to justify a $50 price tag given the relatively short story

i didn't like the agent gadgets. the web shooter is the only one i upgraded and was decent for crowd control, but usually id just slam some heat items and then use the extreme heat mode in agent stance to clear everyone out, then switch to yakuza stance for 1v1 fights. this felt ok but mostly made the agent mode seem like a bad gimmick. and lmao at how loving useless the drones are.

i did like the minigames getting intro quests so you do everything at least once. and the story mission where you go out for a night on the town is loving awesome and i loved doing karaoke/pool/golf with the guys, goddamn. the sushi bar scene, which almost hints at shishido's eventual betrayal!! great stuff

the final fights of the game were cool, but much like Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intermission, the last fight commits a bad sin of game design: a long fight with unskippable phase change cutscenes. much like in FF7RI, i died to a missed counter near the very end of the fight, and when the game offered me the option to restart on easy, i gladly accepted and just powered through it.

i think that, given my experience with this, whenever i get around to playing lost judgment on my own, i will probably just play it on easy and avoid anything combat-focused. and if i ever somehow get truly infinite time and go through 0-6, i will do the same thing. the combat has its moments but it just does not have anything i enjoy engaging with on a "tactical" level, and i just don't enjoy the "execution" of the weaving and dodging and trying to remember a boss's combos so i can time my larger strikes just right. not as fun to me as the JRPG stuff (not that i did the extra-hard stuff in 7 either, but after 60 hours of that combat i was less tired of it than i was after 15 hours of brawling).

for a game that basically has no reason to exist and probably could have been, i don't know, an AMV, they managed to make it pretty compelling, so i'm glad i played this. but i'm also glad i burned through it in three days rather than try to savor it, since there's a lotta stuff out to play right now!

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I beat Legend of Legaia some time ago.

LOL was a sore itch that needed scratched, but I had the Conkram freeze bug to deal with, which is like five hours from the end. I had to switch memory cards with another emulator to get past it. The game runs like it was the Happy Happyist army room in Earthbound. Duckstation had a fix for that and the gameplay was super smooth as a result, with some crashes of no importance.
The battle system is supposed to be your guys accumulating points to form complicated combos you can merge together. It was so much faster to use your possessed arm and spam magic to quickly end battles. It also helps that an early game item didn't work as intended and made it so I kept getting first attack and was ambushed only twice in the game.

The game was awfully hard early on until you got more people and magic. The difficulty almost disappeared after all the magic spam. It felt great chumping on the bosses that were such a problem when the game came out. What wasn't great was the tons of hidden stuff in the most unlikely places you wouldn't ever look, just to sell the guide to people. A Point Card you find in a locked drawer that unlocks itself after you leave your home town, that utilizes the power of Capitalism and deals up to 9999 damage per use if you keep buying stuff. It is that broken and I didn't use it at all. Another item called a Platinum Card you find in the king's chamber in a wall, that makes certain merchants sell more goods. Both of them within two hours of starting the game.

Something else I found out was that there was a guarded chamber in a castle you freed that had the strongest magic in the game. It costs 255MP and it was only available when everyone is level 99. I noticed that the collision detection was weird and if you pixel hunted, you could walk through static NPCs. I opened the doors after a bit and walked in. The item lowered the encounter rate a bit as well. It's a very long path and it showed there were two Juggernauts in the game.

There were arena battles where you fought a series of monsters with full strength bosses mixed in. All fights was with one person with limited equipment and no items. Some were progress gated until you beat the bosses or the battle ends suddenly. The last one was bugged to not give you the item it explicitly gave you, so you had to beat like 15 more hours of content in order to fight a dozen bosses to get the special item. It also gave you a strong item for running from each battle. Chicken King.

Also fought the optional super boss who turned off your magic and had cheated stats. It only appeared on this spot and only after revisiting the place. The recommended strategy was using the point card and having double the level and I stole way too many stat items to 1v1 the boss after a couple resets.