Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE BOUNCER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You do maybe a minute of bouncing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make a sequel where you're a bouncer trying to keep various Final Fantasy characters out of a hip new club.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Butz? Ok guy, real funny, end of the line

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Bouncer sequel but it’s about a sentient rubber ball that really wants to jump high

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HD DAD posted:

The Bouncer sequel but it’s about a sentient rubber ball that really wants to jump high
I think that's just Flubber.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The world is ready for a The Bouncer 2. Give it to CB3 and let the DMC producer go wild with it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I rented the bouncer when I got my ps2 and I loved it, it was the poo poo

Volt 4 lyfe

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SettingSun posted:

The world is ready for a The Bouncer 2. Give it to CB3 and let the DMC producer go wild with it.

It's the year of a the bouncer 2

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
for some reason one of the things i retained from bouncer, besides echidna's boobs and how awesome that fuckin trailer was, is that weird simon says minigame u have to do as the dude that's not Sion or Volt when youre infiltrating smth

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Spending two hours banging my head against elemental core on Chaos difficulty level 200 when I'm 190 gear is starting to sour my good impression of Stranger of Paradise. This boss blows. The companion AI being pants on head dumb and beelining for the water elemental for her nearly one-shot grab, but also ignoring the core when an elemental dies and I'm trying to heal/rebuff the NPCs blows . The boss AI being a grand wizard chest master who knows what I'm doing ten seconds into the future to interrupt my hastega/curaga/arise casts blows, and the second form blows. It all blows.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 16, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

i think its cool that the ff series constantly experiments every game and i wouldnt want it to become nothing but iteration.

Yeah, and I also definitely wouldn't cite Persona as a good example of iterating on a game system. There are obvious limits to the modern Persona system where there just isn't much strategy involved.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

jokes posted:

It's the year of a the bouncer 2

I read this in an italian accent

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jokes posted:

Yeah, it's rad but it's also cobbled together by a very confused marketing team and accomplishes no objective other than showing off the aesthetic. Despite that, it absolutely rules and together with other KH poo poo it was extremely successful. I just don't think it was at all intentional because, like, no marketing plan or course would ever be taken seriously if it tried to emulate KH's marketing approach, despite its absurd success.

I watched the Simple and Clean thing about a billion times before I played KH1, and that one's even more confusing. It also is the highlight of the franchise to me.

if the aesthetic is one of the biggest selling points of the game (which it definitely was with KH) then showcasing the aesthetic is good marketing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

Where's The Bouncer 2, SE? You can't discontinue both Tobal/Ehrgeiz AND The Bouncer

KH4 will have The Bouncer characters in it as well as Versus 13 characters and probably some TWEWY folks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell the fat guy in roxas's friend group has a The Bouncer t-shirt

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sora promise Neku that he'd meet him again if he's ever in Shibuya and KH4 has the 104 Building.

The metaphorical plot connecting 3 and 4 is Nomura trying to resurrect the versions of the Versus 13 characters that didn't get to exists via this world of Unreality.

The bouncer crew will be there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like the info about 4 since the 3 secret ending has kinda moved away from that tbh.

I do hope Neku is there though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
dear Square-Enix, please bring back to me the character of

DAURAGON C. MIKADO

please and thank you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Imagine a The Bouncer on the edge of a cliff

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Been feeling nostalgic so I busted out my snes and FF3(6) over the weekend. Trying to stay underlevelled for some challenge and it's been fun. Though, running takes longer than I would like.

Zoned out and talked to the wolfman first, oops. Sorry Mog!

I remembered Sketch was bugged with Vanish but didn't realize it could miss normally. First battle with Relm I sketched a green dinosaur and the game glitched but thankfully it went to title screen after escaping.

Floating Continent was tough but that rear end in a top hat in the chest made me realize Phantom is OP. I was cruising right along and almost to the save point when pincer Ninjas unloaded their skeans and sent me back to the beginning.
I had to beat atma twice and watch the long cutscenes because I ran out of time on the miniboss at the end. Ice was working so well I queued up 4 of them then watched reflected icebergs while my last couple minutes ran out.

Recruiting friends goes pretty quick when you know where to go. Working my way up the Fanatics Tower the legit way just to see if I can but also learning tons of magic on the side.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Its all pouty anime boys from here on out

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

Yeah if one wants to understand FFXIII, you must first understand the culture around Japanese RPGs and games in general at the time. To which the short version is Supremely loving Racist the era of G4's "We nuked them and then they became a real country" or Phil Fish's "Modern Japanese games just suck" directly to a dev's face who was asking a genuine question. The Xenophobia wasn't just alive and well it was being gleefully drowned in. There was a desperate show from a lot of developers at the time to "be less japanese"

I am not sad to see the back of the likes of Fish (and certainly Sessler, jfc). What a pack of miserable sods.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 17, 2024

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Endorph posted:

se has made some weird-rear end decisions but i think this idea that they're this bumbling misadventure whose every success has been accidental is a bit disrespectful.

Considering they genuinely were confused about people's reactions to the Stranger of Paradise trailer, I think they don't really know what's going on.

The scene of Jack saying "Bullshit." and blasting music wasn't supposed to be funny. They did that in earnest. Those dudes are in a bubble.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ravus Ursus posted:

Considering they genuinely were confused about people's reactions to the Stranger of Paradise trailer, I think they don't really know what's going on.

The scene of Jack saying "Bullshit." and blasting music wasn't supposed to be funny. They did that in earnest. Those dudes are in a bubble.

im pretty sure the scene of jack putting in earbuds, going bullshit, and then walking out blasting music after a serious speech from someone they just fought until like 3 mins later, is supposed to be comedic

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's supposed to be corny, they just didn't expect the western internet to focus entirely on it and ignore everything else about the reveal. It's different.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

they didn't think it was funny.

Granted that's a talk about the entire first trailer but those dudes were trying to be serious.

Also a hearty laugh at them wanting to keep the plot a secret. I'm pretty sure most people saw Jack and his Chaos killing obsession and drew the exact same conclusion.

He has amazing taste in music.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It's a corny game but that first trailer was supposed to be badass.

Also Jack is literally framed as Garland on the cover of the game it wasn't really a secret. There's like 2 or 3 twists in the game that really only work if you're expecting that to happen.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Also, didn't one of the last trailers straight up name drop him as Jack Garland?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yes.

Ultimately after playing the game I'm pretty sure the devs do understand humour and are capable of making subtle funny jokes like anyone else. I think they just thought the initial trailer wouldn't be received comedically.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

in ff7 remake if you gently caress up sneaking out of aerith's house she'll open the door to her room, revealing a treasure chest perfectly in frame that you won't be able to get to for like seven more hours

peak comedy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Responding to a big dramatic speech about pretending to be evil in order to give people hope with a flat "Bullshit." is funny, but it's also serious, and it's also funny and serious again a second time when Jack basically enacts the same plan at a larger scale at the end.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I am playing my first Final Fantasy game post 14.

I chose 7. It's been pretty good so far. Aeris dying seems like it was probably a pretty big deal when this originally released. The Cloud stuff got real weird, and I'm enjoying the story overall. I'm glad I managed to go in somewhat blind ( I had played Dirge as a kid so I knew some things, like I knew Reeve was Cait ).

It's very foundational though in some ways. No real side content, characters have good baselines but are ultimately kinda shallow. Barrett at start and Barrett at the end of the game aren't super different people. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing mind.

The pacing is kinda hosed though, so I'm excited to see how Remake fleshes stuff out. As I understand it basically all of Disc 2 post North Crater was "oh god the money ran out ship a product" and Sephiroth was shoved in last minute. Which is frankly pretty impressive they managed to tie it all together as well as they did.

I'm going to watch Advent Children after I'm done with some friends, and then replay Dirge using the M&KB controls mod. We'll see if it actually holds up at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

Ravus Ursus posted:

they didn't think it was funny.

Granted that's a talk about the entire first trailer but those dudes were trying to be serious.

Also a hearty laugh at them wanting to keep the plot a secret. I'm pretty sure most people saw Jack and his Chaos killing obsession and drew the exact same conclusion.

He has amazing taste in music.

They were talking about people's reaction to the trailer specifically there. The game itself is full-on on purpose comedic moments. Including the scene you're talking about.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Rookersh posted:

It's very foundational though in some ways. No real side content,

This is now how I remember FF7 at all. I spent a very long time getting chocobos to have sex and doing sick snowboarding runs and tower defense games.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They were talking about people's reaction to the trailer specifically there. The game itself is full-on on purpose comedic moments. Including the scene you're talking about.

I need to go back to it then. I had a recurring crash at the end of a level so I just put it down.

Thing is I know I'll like it because the story seems bonkers and the game play loop I felt satisfying.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Wutai is literally side content: the continent, among other things such as chocobo breeding, gold saucer activities and taking down the weapons. A decent chunk of the world is off the beaten path and would be missed entirely if you were only focused on the story.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Try filling out your entire enemy materia and there you go plenty of side content

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

This is now how I remember FF7 at all. I spent a very long time getting chocobos to have sex and doing sick snowboarding runs and tower defense games.

I need to go back to it then. I had a recurring crash at the end of a level so I just put it down.

Thing is I know I'll like it because the story seems bonkers and the game play loop I felt satisfying.

Jack's curtness is something thw rest of the crew pokes fun at and bristle at a bit and there's some fun moments that come from that. Game is 100% earnest and has a good sense of humor. Meeting the dark elf king for the first time really cemented jack and crew as characters for me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Jack's curtness is something thw rest of the crew pokes fun at and bristle at a bit and there's some fun moments that come from that.
"I'm not mad. I just... sound like this." or whatever he says is gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"I'm not mad. I just... sound like this." or whatever he says is gold

He's trying his best.