Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Only a rumor at this point, but in news that will shock no one, the new Rey Skywalker movie has been put on hold indefinitely.

are there gonna be more theatrical Star Wars releases any time in the near future or is it just streaming Content fodder now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monkey Fracas posted:

are there gonna be more theatrical Star Wars releases any time in the near future or is it just streaming Content fodder now

They shelved Mando Season 4 during the strikes to focus on a theatrical release for Mando and Grogu. Disney slashed a bunch of Pixar staff positions to recoup losses after releasing three major Pixar titles to die on Disney Plus.

Streaming is killing profits without constant investor money flowing in.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I would very much like movies (and especially tv shows) to have their budgets drastically slashed and for filmmakers to have to go back to figuring out how to do things they want cheaply but effectively and not just vomiting hundreds of millions of dollars of CGI work hours onto the screen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's a few movies that have been 'announced' like the mentioned Mando movie. Until cameras actually start rolling I consider them all vaporware, and even then they could still be shelved.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I bet a huge amount of the costs is due to last minute CG changes requested by showrunners because they can. If it was practical no way, just not enough time to film but with CG you can get several studios of wage slaves cranking away in parallel for small parts and charging out the rear end for “rush”. It’s basically a lack of planning and not having a clear, nailed down vision of what they’re doing from the start.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just a reminder:

Vim Fuego posted:

shehulk's cgi dumper

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Barudak posted:

Oh so this is where people who found News From Lake Woebegon hilarious moved on to.

I think they moved to rest homes actually. This is the new, hip comedy about noticing and taking comfort in the quiet profundity of the mundane.

MarcusSA posted:

Lmao that’s fuckin stupid.

See also Squid Game. You nailed it in one man. Stop!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Just do what they should’ve done from the start, tall muscley woman and green makeup, and suddenly that budget isn’t so high anymore!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Remembered this classic bit of Star Wars lore this afternoon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if my memory serves me correctly, each episode of the original Incredible Hulk TV show took upwards of $50million to produce

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

When you have Lou Ferrigno money, anything's possible!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Better than the CGI bear in Prey

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Man Prey was such a good movie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

I would very much like movies (and especially tv shows) to have their budgets drastically slashed and for filmmakers to have to go back to figuring out how to do things they want cheaply but effectively and not just vomiting hundreds of millions of dollars of CGI work hours onto the screen.

I really think studios should hire some up and coming directors to film the script with a total budget of $1 million first just to work out the kinks and figure out how to manage a story with very little vfx, then spend the 200 million or whatever on the high budget celebrity actor extravaganza, saving money and improving quality because they already know where they're going.

As a plus side this would mean every major film would have a low budget knockoff produced alongside it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Do the Sam Raimi pipeline of $1,00,000 for the first one. If it looks at all like a movie, make an almost identical remake with a $10M budget. If that works, do a $35M movie with a totally different name and, like, props and sets and actors.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There was that cheap made for tv movie that Michael Mann made twice and called the second one Heat. It’s a formula that works

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

NorgLyle posted:

we need a new new hollywood era. the studio behemoths are churning out poo poo, poised to be undercut by talented filmmakers telling compelling stories that can hopefully resonate with audiences, assuming the masses arent content-brained beyond all hope

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

la takedown was an interesting watch but remaking it as heat was the smart move

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Aramis posted:

When you have Lou Ferrigno money, anything's possible!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

They shelved Mando Season 4 during the strikes to focus on a theatrical release for Mando and Grogu. Disney slashed a bunch of Pixar staff positions to recoup losses after releasing three major Pixar titles to die on Disney Plus.

Streaming is killing profits without constant investor money flowing in.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Only a rumor at this point, but in news that will shock no one, the new Rey Skywalker movie has been put on hold indefinitely.

Chuds online recently jumped on a clip of the director for that movie talking about her past documentary work about abused women in pakistan purposefully making men uncomfortable. I'm confident this is another fake rumor to tell people what they want to hear like every time there was a rumor Alex Kurtzman or Kathleen Kennedy was getting fired.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I don't understand this. She-Hulk was one of MANY new shows that were produced in that year. How much did all of those shows cost to produce, cumultaviely? How much did staffing for the streaming platform cost? Advertising? Servers and data? How many people are signed up for the platform? Did they assume that their offerings of safe, culturally identifiable slop would get humanity so excited that we'd divide via mitosis into additional adult people who would then themselves immediately subscribe so that they could also be the first to see Man-Guy, Guy-Man, Dark-Guy, She-Lady, Moon-Person, Space Time: Season 4 (part 1), The Simpsons, etc etc etc?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The *Executive Mindset* in these cases is usually along the line of - "We've tried hiring people to figure out what the wallets loyal viewers want and failed so plan B is just throwing a bunch of poo poo on screen and see what sticks."

You would think this would be a recipe for failure, and eventually usually is, but all it takes is one Mandalorian to keep the spice cocaine flowing for a few more years.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

I don't understand this. She-Hulk was one of MANY new shows that were produced in that year. How much did all of those shows cost to produce, cumultaviely? How much did staffing for the streaming platform cost? Advertising? Servers and data? How many people are signed up for the platform? Did they assume that their offerings of safe, culturally identifiable slop would get humanity so excited that we'd divide via mitosis into additional adult people who would then themselves immediately subscribe so that they could also be the first to see Man-Guy, Guy-Man, Dark-Guy, She-Lady, Moon-Person, Space Time: Season 4 (part 1), The Simpsons, etc etc etc?

The key word with posts like this is "reportedly." Who reported it? Was the person or media outlet reliable? A reporter with no integrity might have guessed and then other websites now say that it's been reported as the truth. It all just becomes this game of telephone between clickbait media. This particular number can be traced back to a Variety article on Marvel's situation from November, but it's literally a single uncited sentence, "All the while, Marvel was bleeding money, with a single episode of "She-Hulk" costing some $25 million, dwarfing the budget of a final-season episode of HBO’s “Game of Thrones, ” but without a similar Zeitgeist bang."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Lister posted:

Chuds online recently jumped on a clip of the director for that movie talking about her past documentary work about abused women in pakistan purposefully making men uncomfortable. I'm confident this is another fake rumor to tell people what they want to hear like every time there was a rumor Alex Kurtzman or Kathleen Kennedy was getting fired.

Maybe?

Every single Star Wars movie announced post Episode 9 has been cancelled, so it's not too much of a stretch to see this one suffering the same fate. Even that Mando movie could be shut down. As far as I'm concerned, until cameras start rolling, all these announced movies aren't happening.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*sigh* they fly now...

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Watched the Curse over the weekend and it owned.

Give Nathan Fielder a Star War

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
give star war the ol yeller treatment

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They really do a lot of pointless struggling against what is obviously being revealed by reality: it's not a good enough franchise for cinema, it can be streaming TV at best and even then it's hit or miss

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Isn't it literally called like "The Mandalorian and Grogu: The Movie!" or something

Seems like a preproduction title if I've ever heard one and if not lol

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The season premiere of True Detective High Country is so loving weird in a bad way I can't stop thinking about it.

The awful intro with CGI caribou, jarring tonal changes between scenes, the "off" humor, musical choices that do not work, etc.

It felt like some good pieces were glued together by AI or something

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

Give Nathan Fielder a Star War

The Plan: Rebrand the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center as a high-end spa treatment center

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

good

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

Only a rumor at this point, but in news that will shock no one, Palpatine has returned...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's pretty wild that JJ hosed Disney so hard they've spent a ton of time in their spin off shows to explain how that is going to happen lmao.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's pretty wild that JJ hosed Disney so hard they've spent a ton of time in their spin off shows to explain how that is going to happen lmao.

That’s just classic Star Wars though.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like I've been appreciating more and more lately how funny star wars 9 was. There are so many angles to it and they're all good for a laugh

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

The Plan: Rebrand the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center as a high-end spa treatment center

Haha

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like I've been appreciating more and more lately how funny star wars 9 was. There are so many angles to it and they're all good for a laugh

You could make an entire movie out of everything that I forgot happened in Star Wars 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
a broadway adaptation where the 'they fly now?' scene is all done with stormtroopers twirling around on wires