Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
eBay used knock off was half that. Or about half what it would cost for me to see a doctor for my wrecked hands after doing 200 crimps! I'm sure they'll come down further in price. Just wish DeWalt or Ryobi would make something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vevor sells a pneumatic crimper for $200 new that does replaceable dies. It looks like it's supposed to be a benchtop device but it's got a sturdy carry handle on top? I know nothing about this beyond what's in the ad though.

https://m.vevor.com/pneumatic-crimp...-p_010864671114

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Hadlock posted:

Vevor sells a pneumatic crimper for $200 new that does replaceable dies. It looks like it's supposed to be a benchtop device but it's got a sturdy carry handle on top? I know nothing about this beyond what's in the ad though.

https://m.vevor.com/pneumatic-crimp...-p_010864671114

Can get the same for $127 on eBay by adding to your watchlist. Did consider it, but the whole not having to walk with a compressor thing swayed me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

How is the knock-off still $350.

Crimpin ain't easy

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

kastein posted:

Crimpin ain't easy

Lmao, thread title right there

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

Crimpin ain't easy

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Crimpin ain't easy

But it is necessary.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kastein posted:

Crimpin ain't easy

And that's why we pay extra.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Dupont makes automagic crimpers for stuff like microfit (literally automatic, you insert the wire, it strips and crimps). It's something like $3k. Worth every penny.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I soldered a joint last night instead of crimping it. But I feel it's acceptable since it's "floating" and not exposed to vibrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Anyone have a DeWalt cordless belt sander? How is it.

I realize it won't be as good or long lasting as a corded, this would be for convenience only on small jobs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
With the below zero temps we've had the 12v battery on the Prius died and the 330i is having issues on a cold start in the morning. Went out and grabbed a NOCO GBX45. It works. The Prius might need a new battery though. It fired right up off the jump starter but the battery isn't holding a charge at all. I drove it around for a bit and got home and it wouldn't start again. I have my NOCO genius 5 hooked up to it for a bit to see if that will help at all.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Lithium jump packs are so nice to have. The old lead acid jump boxes were huge and had to stay plugged in all the time or they'd be dead within a month. Lithium packs are small enough to keep tucked away in a storage cubby in your car and they'll still have a charge 6+ months later when you need to use it.

I've used mine to start:
  • V-twin lawnmower
  • 4 cylinder Jeep
  • Porsche flat 6
  • Chevy small block V-8
  • Hemi
... Then just leave it plugged into my phone charger for the rest of the day and then pack it away until next time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah mine has saved my rear end a couple times now, but it's really a one and done. like, it might say it still has half of its battery left after a jump or two, but the amount of current it can source is greatly diminished. gotta go charge it back up again before trying, or you'll get half a crank and a lot of beeping from the overloaded battery.

so imo, fine for getting out of a pinch, but not good for continued use with a weak battery. maybe it's better in a prius where you're just powering up the electronics so the contactor to the HV battery can be energized.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I’ve been impressed with my Noco charger - I have the dinky 1 amp charger that I’ve thrown a couple of huge tractor batteries at and while yes, they took forever to charge, it did some desulfation trickery that my bigger charger doesn’t have.

If the genius5 doesn’t bring that Prius battery back to life then yeah, it’s definitely toast.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

With the below zero temps we've had the 12v battery on the Prius died and the 330i is having issues on a cold start in the morning. Went out and grabbed a NOCO GBX45. It works. The Prius might need a new battery though. It fired right up off the jump starter but the battery isn't holding a charge at all. I drove it around for a bit and got home and it wouldn't start again. I have my NOCO genius 5 hooked up to it for a bit to see if that will help at all.

If you need a new battery for the 330, Costco should have the right AGM batteries (though inventory might be iffy if there's a rush of other people) and it's either bimmercode or bimmerlink with a dongle that lets you tell the car there's a new battery. The whole thing should be half the price of going to the dealer.

I should go put the summer car on a charger now that I think of it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

For laughs after a couple recent battery escapades with our fleet, having a handheld battery tester delivered and see what it shows on the one I had to yank out of my Jeep WK2 which conveniently went dead at -5F. It appears to be the original Mopar battery.

Then I'll slap it on the HF Viking charger repair mode then test after.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but it's relatedish - I want to paint a toolbox, but in a slightly weird way - I want to brush a particular color on some parts of it (this will go on basically bare metal), then clear coat over it. The clear coat I've got worked out (spray can), but I'm not real familiar with brushable paints - is a water based latex or an acrylic better for this?

Those are the two options I see at my local hardware store in the color I want, but if something else is way better, I'm open to looking elsewhere. Spray paints will NOT work, though. This is either going to look amazing or be dumb, but I want it to be fairly durable. I don't plan to throw this toolbox in and out of truck beds, but I do plan to keep it in my garage and use it for years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oil based paint is what you want

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Awesome, thank you!

The only problem I now have is that that lead me to realize that Rustoleum makes a Gold Hammered paint and gosh, that'd be perf ... oh, can't buy it in my state.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Lithium jump packs are so nice to have. The old lead acid jump boxes were huge and had to stay plugged in all the time or they'd be dead within a month. Lithium packs are small enough to keep tucked away in a storage cubby in your car and they'll still have a charge 6+ months later when you need to use it.

I've used mine to start:
  • V-twin lawnmower
  • 4 cylinder Jeep
  • Porsche flat 6
  • Chevy small block V-8
  • Hemi
... Then just leave it plugged into my phone charger for the rest of the day and then pack it away until next time.

They really are. Mine has saved my bacon several times and requires little to no planning, just top it up twice a year or so. It's always in the glovebox or with me on longer rides on the bike.

Another new use case that came up recently- testing trailer light wiring. Just clamp it onto the 4 pin connector and probe one pin at a time to check lights, signals, etc. Much easier than dragging the trailer to a car when I have it out in the yard.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody got experience with water pumps? I’ve got a backyard pond I wanna flood to surface it for skating, and it’s far enough away from the house that I can’t use a hose. I’ve got a big rear end generator, so if I need to, I could run electric to something.

Otherwise, has anybody done this? Is there an easy way to do it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anybody got experience with water pumps? I’ve got a backyard pond I wanna flood to surface it for skating, and it’s far enough away from the house that I can’t use a hose. I’ve got a big rear end generator, so if I need to, I could run electric to something.

Otherwise, has anybody done this? Is there an easy way to do it?

Where is the water going to come from? Unless the pond is quite large drafting liquid water out from under the ice (usually done with a standpipe installed when it's not frozen) is going to cause problems.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s a half acre pond. The water would be coming from under the surface

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s a half acre pond. The water would be coming from under the surface

Half acre should be fine. This is typically done with a trash pump, but I suppose you could use something like a sump pump attached to your generator if you don't already have a standpipe and are willing to make a hole and suspend it in there (do not drop it on the bottom for obvious reasons).

You just need a hose and a nozzle (like this) https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Tree-Plastic-Fire-Nozzle/dp/B071JP8CWX?th=1 Doesn't have to be anything special.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You think a 2” harbor freight trash pump would do the job?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Absolutely. Grab some hard sleeve with a strainer (if it doesn't comer with that) to dump through the ice and a whole bunch of soft hose so you can get within 20-40 feet of the area you want to flood/prep (or plan on multiple holes).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thanks for all the tips about crimp tools. Looks like icrimp from amazon is gonna be the best deal. I did however by one of these tools because I needed something to crimp with ASAP and I was curious to try this style of wire stripper:

That style of crimper is aces for small gauge or stranded wires! Weirdly enough, I bought a name brand version first (I want to say Irwin), but it was awful, so I returned it. Eventually I picked one up from Hazard Fraught and it works flawlessly

The Klein Katapult also works great on heavier gauge wiring too

Krakkles posted:

Awesome, thank you!

The only problem I now have is that that lead me to realize that Rustoleum makes a Gold Hammered paint and gosh, that'd be perf ... oh, can't buy it in my state.

That's weird, I wonder why it would be restricted by sta...

Oh, right

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 16, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That's why we can't have nice things.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/GiefmXeh.jpeg

Just gonna post this. That's the drawer I was talking about earlier.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sharkytm posted:

https://i.imgur.com/GiefmXeh.jpeg

Just gonna post this. That's the drawer I was talking about earlier.

Link no work

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Huh, weird. Works just fine in the Awful app on my phone (cached?) but not at all when I tell Chrome to open it on my phone.

I'd repost it, but maybe the OP deleted it for some reason.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The imgur thumbnail links do weird stuff.

This is what he posted.

Which is why we must now call him crimp daddy

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Powershift posted:

The imgur thumbnail links do weird stuff.

This is what he posted.

Which is why we must now call him crimp daddy

drat that is a lot of money worth of crimpers.

Fun fact that HX4 is an aluminum forging IIRC that they then machine the critical dims of. I have one myself that I've used precisely once.

You made me count the different types of crimpers I own and it's only 6.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

If you don't want to buy one, those things are very commonly available for rentals.

But a trash pump is handy for emergency dewatering if you live in a flood area.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

slidebite posted:

If you don't want to buy one, those things are very commonly available for rentals.

But a trash pump is handy for emergency dewatering if you live in a flood area.

It looks like (via cursory google) that it’s $78/day for a 2” pump, vs $240 for outright buying one. Assuming I’d still need my own hoses, if I flood the ice three times in my life it would make more sense to buy one.

Good call on that though, I may end up renting one first to find out how much of a PITA it is to flood the surface.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The rental place would probably include/have the hoses available. The suction hose (inlet) is the expensive one, it's reinforced to prevent collapse. Typically use a basic fold flat on discharge.

Rental places generally have name brand (likely Honda) vs Harbor Freight knock offs, but totally get you, if you need to use it more than 2-3 times, probably better to just buy one.

And if you do have a flood event in your area, good luck finding a rental.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sooo...long story short looking at getting a manometer to adjust gas pressures for my furnace.

Any other uses for a manometer I'm not aware about that might be useful?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sooo...long story short looking at getting a manometer to adjust gas pressures for my furnace.

You can use it to tell if filters are clogged, say in your DIY spray booth. Or if your pressure is even when playing a bagpipe lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Could require some jury rigging to make the joke work but I'd use one in much the same way as people do when they first pick up a stud finder.