Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ironhead posted:

If it's worth money, why not frame it with UV protective glass?
I'm planning to, but not sure how much that will help vs. blaring lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My understanding is that LED lights emit little to no UV radiation.
This is not generally true. LEDs emit relatively narrow wavelength ranges. That range can be in UV by design. Some colors of 'LED' lights are essentially a fluorescent light: a UV emitting LED inside a fluorescent phosphor covered case. Some UV will leak.

More relevantly for your plan, a good grow light will intentionally include a UV component because that's beneficial for plant health.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i am trying to transfer my photos in icloud to google photos. there's a formal way to do this, detailed here: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/10502587?hl=en

i can log on to apple's site fine. i can tell apple i want to transfer my photos and videos to google photos. my browser then opens up a new window, but it immediately closes. this window is a google login from the split second i can see it.

how on earth do i get the window to stay open? i've tried opening it as a new tab rather than a window, but that closes immediately too, which i've never seen.

any idea what's happening here?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Silver Falcon posted:

I think your best bet is to replace them in the fall after the babies have fledged and the houses are empty. Robins nest super early so if you wait until early spring you run the risk of the house being claimed already.

In your place I'd just toss the nesting material. Most birds start fresh every year anyway and the old material might have pests in it.

Good on you for thinking so much about your backyard bird friends. Consider feeders and a bath as well to make your yard a bird paradise.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Both of those lay fairly early, if you remove the nests before March you should be set for not disrupting eggs but you might mess with their cycle. The poster above talking about the fall is your safest best bet but mid summer is likely late enough too, birds like this fledge fairly quickly.

If you want to leave it up for now but are worried it'll fall, consider measuring and cutting a temporary support pole for the current one or buying some attachable pole stabilizers - the ones I'm thinking of look kinda like spider legs you can slide on and set into the ground.

Edit: apparently robins are weird and it depends on where you are, they fledge in 2ish weeks but lay anytime between April and August.

Thanks! I don't think it's in such dire straights that it won't make it through summer, but maybe I'll put in a small support post or two to be sure.

And I do have a regular seed-style feeder and a suet block holder for them.

I don't get too much variety, mostly robins and small brown birds (again, I assume a chickadee or thrush of some kind? maybe finches?) But I do also see some blue jays and cardinals from time to time, and some yellow and black birds that may be a type of finch? I should get some sort o bird guide, but I'm ALREADY a guy in his 40's who's into a lot of odd hobbies, I can't afford to add birding to the list.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thanks! I don't think it's in such dire straights that it won't make it through summer, but maybe I'll put in a small support post or two to be sure.

I don't get too much variety, mostly robins and small brown birds (again, I assume a chickadee or thrush of some kind? maybe finches?) But I do also see some blue jays and cardinals from time to time, and some yellow and black birds that may be a type of finch? I should get some sort o bird guide, but I'm ALREADY a guy in his 40's who's into a lot of odd hobbies, I can't afford to add birding to the list.

If you want a nice easy/casual way to tell them apart, you can download the Merlin bird app from the University of Cornell. It IDs birds based on sound. Hear your birds making noise? Take a recording and the app gives you an ID. I've learned a bunch of birds that live up here (Southern New England) by using that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have some pills that say to take them at the same time every day; the instructions say that if you forget you shouldn't take a double-dose the next day, just your regular dose. But what if I only forget for a couple of hours? If I normally take them at 13:00, is it fine to take them at 15:00? What about 20:00? What's the cut-off point for "skip today and carry on tomorrow"? Generally speaking, I mean; I realise that the answer could be different for different medications.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That sounds like a question for your doctor, not random idiots on the internet. The answer is gonna depend on the specific meds in question and your specific health situation, including any other meds you're taking and a bunch of other personal info that your doctor knows but we probably don't.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Most medications you would just take them late and it doesn't really matter. If they're meds with sleep interference (like ADHD meds or something) then you would skip the dose for the day usually. It depends on the specific medication though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sounds like a question for your doctor, not random idiots on the internet.
If it actually comes up I'll call nurse on call. As of now I'm just curious and don't want to waste their time with some hypothetical.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

If it actually comes up I'll call nurse on call. As of now I'm just curious and don't want to waste their time with some hypothetical.

I don't know how common this is internationally but if I have a non-urgent health question I can just login to the secure patient portal of my GP and drop a question there, and a nurse will reply whenever they have some time between tasks. Very nice low barrier way of asking stuff like this.

Another thing you can do is ask your pharmacy next time you go pick up a new box of your prescription. They don't know your health context but they should know a lot of stuff about safe medicine usage.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Silver Falcon posted:

If you want a nice easy/casual way to tell them apart, you can download the Merlin bird app from the University of Cornell. It IDs birds based on sound. Hear your birds making noise? Take a recording and the app gives you an ID. I've learned a bunch of birds that live up here (Southern New England) by using that.

Oh drat, yeah I should get that because there's these birds I always hear that have such a distinctive call, I want to know what they are.
I've tried searching for it based on loose descriptions of their call, but to no avail.

FTR, it really, REALLY sounds like the bird is saying:
"Petticoat, petticoat, petticoat...tomato, tomato, tomato."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh drat, yeah I should get that because there's these birds I always hear that have such a distinctive call, I want to know what they are.
I've tried searching for it based on loose descriptions of their call, but to no avail.

FTR, it really, REALLY sounds like the bird is saying:
"Petticoat, petticoat, petticoat...tomato, tomato, tomato."

Just a shot in the dark because I think we have similar local birds: Carolina Wren. But try Merlin out!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've got a little desk that rolls over my bed, like so:
it works for 80% of my purposes but it's also way too easy to topple over, is there a good way to stabilize it? can I just tape some weights to the bottom or something?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

DrBouvenstein posted:

Birding is already one of your hobbies, you just don’t know it yet. But yeah definitely get the Merlin app it’ll tell you a lot

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

it works for 80% of my purposes but it's also way too easy to topple over, is there a good way to stabilize it? can I just tape some weights to the bottom or something?

A heavier base would help, but your main issue is that the base just isn't very wide. Ideally, the base is wider than the top. Unfortunately, I can't think of a good way to retrofit a wider base onto that kind of product, at least not without compromising its mobility.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

can I just tape some weights to the bottom or something?

You can get little nylon sacks with strap handles made to weigh down backdrop and light stands for photography that would probably work better than taped on weights. Search Amazon for backdrop weights!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Unfortunately, I can't think of a good way to retrofit a wider base onto that kind of product, at least not without compromising its mobility.

maybe just larger wheels? like the same size that go on a shopping cart

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Weird question regarding plastic surgery, specifically nose jobs.

I've noticed lately (well, lately being like the last 10-15 years) a lot of nose jobs I've seen where I can tell there's some work done (chief examples are a lot of women on those Real Housewives shows) where not only is the bridge of the nose shave/slimmed down ( I assume, I haven't seen the "before" on a lot of these women) but the end of the nose always ends up a little "upturned." Not QUITE a full on pig-nose (at least for most people,) but definitely noticeably more "up" than it was. The best example I can give off the top of my head, especially because there is plenty of before and after of her, is Erin Moriarty (Starlight from The Boys.)

My actual question:

Is the "upturned nose" part a DESIERABLE quality/sometimes the surgeon/patient WANT to do? Or is it more a "side effect"/unintended result that HAS to be there because the work that was done on the bridge of the nose resulted in the skin/bone/cartilage/whatever shortening up, or something, and pulling up on the end of the nose?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Huh, she had plastic surgery done? I wonder what you mean because she doesn't have that typical nose at all and she's really beautiful so that must've been a drat skilled plastic surgeon.

*googles*

Oh, she had work done since The Boys :stare:

Eta: I don't want this to come off as shaming her or anything. I'm just surprised someone would change their appearance that drastically in between seasons of of a show you're most known for now. Could also be the make up in the pictures I see of her and in reality and with the same make up for the show the difference is less stark, idk

Taeke fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 18, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wow, she almost looks like an entirely different person.

Taeke posted:

Eta: I don't want this to come off as shaming her or anything. I'm just surprised someone would change their appearance that drastically in between seasons of of a show you're most known for now. Could also be the make up in the pictures I see of her and in reality and with the same make up for the show the difference is less stark, idk

This basically, I'm not shaming her but that is a drastic change from the photos I've seen.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Wow, she almost looks like an entirely different person.

This basically, I'm not shaming her but that is a drastic change from the photos I've seen.

It’s up there with Portia De Rossi on most jarring changes. I honestly thought she’d been recast on Arrested Development.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is the "upturned nose" part a DESIERABLE quality/sometimes the surgeon/patient WANT to do? Or is it more a "side effect"/unintended result that HAS to be there because the work that was done on the bridge of the nose resulted in the skin/bone/cartilage/whatever shortening up, or something, and pulling up on the end of the nose?

I just had a conversation with a very wealthy younger woman (Early 20's, family is huge in politics, had a dumb ammount of ranches/mines/farms etc all over the world) about her nose job. Everyone in her family has the same little upturned button nose, and all of them did it intentionally. Atleast in her family/friend group it's part of "the look". I do have to say I didn't realize she had work done on her nose until she brough it up. Maybe I'm bad at spotting platic surgery, or its just because I hadn't known her before hand.

So yeah, I guess the upturned nose is a thing the kids are doing these days.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ironhead posted:

So yeah, I guess the upturned nose is a thing the kids are doing these days.

Not just kids. The first time I noticed it seemed to be a trend was noticing that about half the women on those Real Housewives shows have identical faces.

Same three things:
"Button" nose job (I guess that's the nicer way of putting it than pig noses, but it's clear to me they are NOT a "natural" button nose)
Buccal fat removal
Lip fillers

I did some searching and sometimes it IS a side effect that wasn't necessarily part of the initial goal:
https://www.drphilipmiller.com/upturned-piggy-nose/#:~:text=Some%20patients%20may%20notice%20they,should%20help%20resolve%20the%20issue.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So now I'm thinking it started as a unintended side effect but then became popular as a signifier for being wealthy enough to get your nose done and people started liking the look?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Depending on those legs, but they look like square tubes to me, maybe something that you totally shouldn’t do is:

Get a friend with welding skills and gear
Acquire a new version of your table
Grind off the legs from one of them
Weld the ground off legs onto the other one as extensions
Return the defective table: it’s missing its legs

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to try the backdrop weights thing

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I looked up before and after of that lady and that's just a natural nose shape culturally associated with white femininity and youth. Beauty standards are still pretty strongly racialized and nose jobs are one of the classic ones that are super common among the class of Westerner who can afford that kind of thing.

There are still a lot of families that get their daughters a nose job for their 16th birthday party, it's more common than you might think.

Buccal fat removal is obviously just downstream from the ultra skinny post 90s beauty standards that hosed everyone up so bad. I feel like a lot of people who get that one really don't end up looking too good afterwards but I guess it's their face to do with at they please.

Nevil Maskelyne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 18, 2024

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Does a nose job generally affect anything beyond appearance? I know it's usually done for cosmetic reasons, but I don't know if it would affect your nose breathing, or something like that. I'm also kind of wondering how much that hurts; they're basically slicing your face into shape, right?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Leave posted:

Does a nose job generally affect anything beyond appearance? I know it's usually done for cosmetic reasons, but I don't know if it would affect your nose breathing, or something like that. I'm also kind of wondering how much that hurts; they're basically slicing your face into shape, right?

I think the end result is perfectly functional with modern surgeries but the recovery period is kinda lovely. We've got painkillers for that though so it's hardly the limiting factor for anyone who thinks their nose needs to be cut into shape.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had one for my deviated septum. It was a horrible experience and my breathing went right back to how bad it was before the surgery. Do not recommend. My father, and a few friends all had similar results.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

RCarr posted:

I had one for my deviated septum. It was a horrible experience and my breathing went right back to how bad it was before the surgery. Do not recommend. My father, and a few friends all had similar results.

Has there been anything that has helped for you/people you know?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Pull the top part off so you can get at the tube insides, then pour a bunch of gravel or something heavy to fill the horizontal tube at the bottom

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Isn't there a thread for YouTube channel recommendations? I could have sworn I saw that in PYF at some point

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

what was the first decade that was widely referred to as "the [x]ies" (with or without an adjective)?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Please recommend candles that are not soybean-wax bricks scented with chewing gum petrochemicals and/or deodorant petrochemicals.
Preferably ones that smell good without Tropical Scent/Flavour #37 and Male Fresh Scent #19 (if that's possible).

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 19, 2024

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Badger of Basra posted:

what was the first decade that was widely referred to as "the [x]ies" (with or without an adjective)?

The Tenties.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

The "Roaring Twenties" was the term for pre-depression America, that's the earliest one I know.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The "Roaring Twenties" was the term for pre-depression America, that's the earliest one I know.

I wonder if that in turn is a kind of pun on "the roaring forties," a latitude in the southern hemisphere where the winds are particularly powerful. It'd be interesting if our "-ies" designation for decades comes ultimately from a meteorological/sailing term

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

artsy fartsy posted:

Isn't there a thread for YouTube channel recommendations? I could have sworn I saw that in PYF at some point

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885043&pagenumber=15&perpage=40

It seems to have fizzled out around Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

The 1890s were called The Gay Nineties