Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The X-Wing books were eager to have fun. Like even if you're indifferent about Stackpole, he still wanted big spaceship clashes and dogfights instead of more endless author bickering about Jedi and the Force. Unless you've got something genuinely weird to say about the Force and its wielders, Star Wars got more interesting as you stepped further away from that.

EDIT: And also KJA got stuck right in on the Force poo poo, his first big SW books were the loving Jedi Academy trilogy which were roughly 50% "hey wanna hear about the Totally Cool Jedi Stuff that I put into Star Wars comics?" and the other 50% trying to one-up the Death Star.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
the only good dune author is an old horny dune author

no not like that

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have never read a Star Wars book, and I'm happy to write them all off as worthless garbage. Come the gently caress on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I read Return of the Jedi when I was 9. Its existence mostly confused me.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

disposablewords posted:

The X-Wing books were eager to have fun. Like even if you're indifferent about Stackpole, he still wanted big spaceship clashes and dogfights instead of more endless author bickering about Jedi and the Force. Unless you've got something genuinely weird to say about the Force and its wielders, Star Wars got more interesting as you stepped further away from that.

EDIT: And also KJA got stuck right in on the Force poo poo, his first big SW books were the loving Jedi Academy trilogy which were roughly 50% "hey wanna hear about the Totally Cool Jedi Stuff that I put into Star Wars comics?" and the other 50% trying to one-up the Death Star.

Did you ever read "I, Jedi" ? Michael Stackpole has his Mary Sue character Forrest Gump his way through the Jedi Academy trilogy. It's hilariously bad.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Spazzle posted:

I have never read a Star Wars book, and I'm happy to write them all off as worthless garbage. Come the gently caress on.

I mean, they are. But so is the source material. And the x-wing books are good enough until you get to wraith squadron which is actually really good for ya sci-fi.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Corran Horn is the worst. A ladies man, an expert pilot, a latent jedi, a cop. It’s just so bad.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Armacham posted:

Did you ever read "I, Jedi" ? Michael Stackpole has his Mary Sue character Forrest Gump his way through the Jedi Academy trilogy. It's hilariously bad.

It's terrible. And notably where he went in hardest on Jedi poo poo. Thesis, proven.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

spiritual topics require more than a D&D dungeon master or wikipedia/encyclopedia level understanding of religion and metaphysics to write well, and because that's basically one of those academic specialties allegedly smart people dismiss as worthless, there's next to zero chance the average, successful storyteller is remotely familiar with it. Frank had more understanding of this stuff than Lucas, at least from a certain lens, but the good three star wars films deliberately keep what the force is pretty vague and use it sparingly. The reason isn't because over-use of those conceits is bad, but that there's nothing to explore if your understanding of that stuff is basic bitch tier, and again for most people it is basic bitch tier, and back then george lucas had enough people saying "no" to him that he kept that poo poo sparse and mysterious.

I could riff on The Force so to be interesting for a narrative, but I'm not a good writer generally, so it's similarly not worth it.

It's one of those areas where, being a good storyteller *and* having the requisite knowledge to tell that kind of story well are often mutually exclusive.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean, they are. But so is the source material. And the x-wing books are good enough until you get to wraith squadron which is actually really good for ya sci-fi.

I'm aware how bad Star Wars is. No argument there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just saw there's gonna be a few showings if the 84 Dune movie in my town next month. Lots of other cities too.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/dune-40th-anniversary/

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

deoju posted:

I just saw there's gonna be a few showings if the 84 Dune movie in my town next month. Lots of other cities too.

You'd better attend in a garbage bag, with aquarium tubing in your nose. Or a blue speedo

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

deoju posted:

Thank you for this heads-up!

The last time I went to see one of these in the theater it was Wrath of Khan, and it was the theatrical version, so it had a few hazily-remembered bits that never made it to DVD.

Wonder if they'll hand out the explanation sheet before these showings like they did before the premiere? (Seriously, I'm not expecting the spicediver edit, but any extra scenes would be awesome.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Reverend Mother Guyus Maximum
This is absolutely the dumb kind of nominative determinism nonsense that'd be appealing to a Star Wars fanfiction author, and it explains everything about the books that don't exist.

Riot Bimbo posted:

It sucks but I read something, maybe from this thread, that kinda indicated the reverse is going on. Like maybe Brian isn't alright, you know? and KJA is taking advantage of him to get at the herbert estate?

idk why i have that lore in my brain but someone can either back it up or strike it down i dont care
Considering he's been involved enough with Legendary to get not just the movies made, but also managed to get a vehicle for his own hosed up desires greenlit in the form of the TV show, I really have my doubts about this.
Seems like something you'd find in a post on jacurutu.com - whose denizens somehow manage to be even more bitter than folks on on SA.

Riot Bimbo posted:

spiritual topics require more than a D&D dungeon master or wikipedia/encyclopedia level understanding of religion and metaphysics to write well, and because that's basically one of those academic specialties allegedly smart people dismiss as worthless, there's next to zero chance the average, successful storyteller is remotely familiar with it. Frank had more understanding of this stuff than Lucas, at least from a certain lens, but the good three star wars films deliberately keep what the force is pretty vague and use it sparingly. The reason isn't because over-use of those conceits is bad, but that there's nothing to explore if your understanding of that stuff is basic bitch tier, and again for most people it is basic bitch tier, and back then george lucas had enough people saying "no" to him that he kept that poo poo sparse and mysterious.

I could riff on The Force so to be interesting for a narrative, but I'm not a good writer generally, so it's similarly not worth it.

It's one of those areas where, being a good storyteller *and* having the requisite knowledge to tell that kind of story well are often mutually exclusive.
Frank was, at least, a practicing buddhist.

deoju posted:

If they weren't cowards, they'd show the spicediver fan-edit.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 16, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Also the X-Wing books were good

I remember making an effort post early in the forum days about how if you look at the claws compared to Han's head they are as big as butcher knives but sure Han just knocks this creature out instead of getting completely shredded immediately. If a ferret or a weasel was this size it would be a terrifying predator.

also lmao remember the courtship of princess leia haha that just popped into my head but perhaps we've discussed this topic enough

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If they weren't cowards, they'd show the spicediver fan-edit.

I'd be there if they did. Front and center

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1747322873164001414?t=hRGUkqH4ZIpS7NksmBdM-g&s=19

Never realized how much this looks like the camera circle from That 70s Show and now I like to think they're all high on spice listening to Gurney rip.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 16, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

kiimo posted:

oh come on what about the guy that wrote the character who is "too busy to work out" so he uses some device to work his body out for him making him ripped and when he sweats the oily residue that comes from his body smells so good it makes a soaking Princess Leia delusional with desire to have sex with the giant lizard that isn't even her species until friend-zoned Chewbacca snaps her out of it

Was this before or after the guy with lightsabers attached to his knees?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

Well before. Sweatman actually got an official action figure! For a while they were painting that particular story as the TRUE EU EXTENSION. It got a video game and toys and everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Shadows of the Empire was a big multimedia project in 1996-97 that even had a new original soundtrack written for it. Nowadays it's mainly remembered for the N64 game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cessna posted:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I'm up to God Emperor of Dune on my re-read, what a great book. I had completely forgotten about this Hwi Noree character the Ixians manufacture to gently caress with Leto. And the instant love triangle it puts him in with poor Duncan Idaho. I guess the deal with the Duncans is that they all eventually go nuts because of the shock of going from serving Atreides on Dune to the new Shai-Hulud Tyrant and his hosed up society? Is he also constantly engineering specific Idaho mates like Siona or do the Duncans sometimes go nuts in the Fish Speaker orgy and spread their genes all over the place? It's pretty funny how Duncan is outraged by all the loving he is being offered.

On the earlier books, Dune Messiah is really just the epilogue to Dune. The current end of the Dune novel always felt cut off to me and Messiah has a banger of an ending. I really enjoyed Children of Dune, I had forgotten how Leto reveals himself to the people by doing poo poo like lifting a spaceship. I noticed this time how the characters expressed regrets about what happened to Alia because they each figured out what was going on and how to handle it independently, like setting up a specific ancestor and their crew to be your primary guides, but had no idea how to help her at that moment. It was pretty funny how the Baron turned her into some sort of lecher though.

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 16, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The end of Children of Dune is unfilmable.

You can tell from the mini series when they tried

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Spazzle posted:

I read Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which wasn't that bad.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

kiimo posted:

The end of Children of Dune is unfilmable.

You can tell from the mini series when they tried

Denis is like

"Hold my spice coffee"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
DENIS: I thought I'd strike out in a new direction by making something humorless and filled with somber grandeur. Maybe have have incredibly large objects in the sky at some point.
e: also there are spiders

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tree Bucket posted:

e: also there are bagpipes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1747322873164001414?t=hRGUkqH4ZIpS7NksmBdM-g&s=19

Never realized how much this looks like the camera circle from That 70s Show and now I like to think they're all high on spice listening to Gurney rip.

That's an extremely pro click ty ropekid

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sammy Hagar : What does David say, Piter?

Piter De Vries : Van Hagar, he says, using the ancient tongue. The art of kanly is still alive in the Universe. He says it's all dogshit after 1984.

Sammy Hagar : I made my peace gesture. The forms of kanly have been obeyed! Someone turn on Poundcake!

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Cool fact I recently discovered about the dunc bagpipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-3FZPlnaw&t=76s

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
i read the whole yuuzhan vong arc, all twenty-odd books, when i was a teen and therefore stupid

i liked them all, and they still have a place in my heart even though my brain rightfully classifies them as trash

but the only good star wars novel is the "heart of darkness feat. mace windu" one

hell yeah

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Matt Stover rocks yeah

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
40th anniversary imax tix claimed. Judging by seat selection I'm the only one so far for that showing.

Anyways, I think I mentioned this in my first ever post in this thread, but KJA and failson came to my office one time during a promo tour for some execrable book or another. In fact I think it was one of their non-dune collaborations even. Anyways, I was their chaperone that day and took them to lunch and stuff and all the accusations and rumours are totally true.

Literally every other sentence out of Herbert's mouth started with, "Daddy was this," or, "Daddy always said that." It was kind of eye boggling. KJA was just bouncing terrible ideas off the wall without a care in the world. He was living his best life and doesn't give a poo poo if people thinks he's a hack. Good on him in a way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was gonna do a big read of the major Old EU books and quickly discovered after finishing the Og Thrawn Trilogy I was gonna have to dig into the KJA Jedi Academy books and left it alone

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KJA supposedly writes all his books by going on all day hikes, talking stream of consciousness into a tape recorder, and sending the result to his editor. I have to respect that level of not giving a gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

StashAugustine posted:

KJA supposedly writes all his books by going on all day hikes, talking stream of consciousness into a tape recorder, and sending the result to his editor. I have to respect that level of not giving a gently caress

...hell, I should try that, I always get tons of ideas while walking. Especially when listening to music.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

StashAugustine posted:

It was then that Paul felt the prescience stir within his whoah ahh nearly tripped over my shoelace there haha mind as wheels of computation unfolded with all their infinite mathematical oh hey whoopsie almost trod in some dog doo there haha grandeur.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Started watching Lynch Dune for the first time.

Guys. This is pretty bad.

The shield effect is hysterical, even allowing for the fact that it's 40 years old. Aliens came out two years later. Why does this look so cheap??

Guild navigator pretty cool.

Fell asleep about half an hour in. Unclear if I'll be continuing.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's really good and you're drat fool, Smugworth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wish you people would post before watching 1984 Dune so we can have you watch the right one and you can jizz up the wall