Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

SirPhoebos posted:

That looks reasonable, for sure. But this is what we started with:

KNOW FEAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

LaSquida posted:

KNOW FEAR

This is clearly either a parade float or someone's home-made blimp.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

LaSquida posted:

KNOW FEAR

The front kinda looks like a pig's snout.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

jkq posted:

The front kinda looks like a pig's snout.

Now I can't unsee that and it's adorable.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

LaSquida posted:

Now I can't unsee that and it's adorable.

Stalker used LRM-20! It's super effective!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

Honestly this design makes sense if you were a kid growing up with WWII bombers and somebody asked you to make a giant robot when you were 20, because it’s B-29 with legs.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

SirPhoebos posted:

That's not what we started with.

THIS is what we started with

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could be worse. Could be an Unseen, like the Marauder's evolution from this:

To this:

As I described the Marauder in a fluff piece on discord:

quote:

Most BattleMechs were humanoid. As figures of fear or inspiration, they were recognizably of the human form. They might have one or both arms replaced by guns. Some had shoulder-mounted weapons. But there was something different about the ones with inverted legs that touched an ancient, reptilian part of the human brain, and the Marauder was the worst of them all. A Marauder leans forward, arms reaching out like claws. In motion they're worse, especially if there's a skilled pilot in control. Some distant part of human genetics recalled an age of bird-like reptiles that preyed on small furry things, striding forward on those reverse-jointed legs and reaching out claws to rend and tear. A Marauder in motion is an atavistic terror, some dimly remembered nightmare of humanity's evolutionary past reborn in steel and spitting fire and horrible light.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

God the marauder came out ahead after all the visual redesigns. The Robotech look was awful

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

OptimusShr posted:

That's not what we started with.

THIS is what we started with

Everytime I see it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cythereal posted:

To this:

I like your description

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

:ussr: Stalkirov reporting! :ussr:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I swear I've heard this quoted almost verbatim in a Youtube video on the Marauder.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloody Pom posted:

I swear I've heard this quoted almost verbatim in a Youtube video on the Marauder.

I dunno. I wrote that back in November and goons asked me permission to share it, which I gave.

Or it's possible someone else had the same thought.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 16, 2024

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Cythereal posted:

To this:

The Marauder looks awesome either way. I love it.

Probably on my top 5 list. Others are the Timber Wolf, the Warhammer, the Phoenix Hawk and the Shadow Hawk.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Yeah I also loved the original Marauder, even the weird winged one on the Decision at Thunder Rift cover (for the second edition I think?)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
We should be sure to coordinate to some degree so we're hitting all four enemy mechs. I've got my lrm15 toward the stalker, and am unloading into heavy 2.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

vorebane posted:

We should be sure to coordinate to some degree so we're hitting all four enemy mechs. I've got my lrm15 toward the stalker, and am unloading into heavy 2.

I think we're good. The primary target list, just from what I've seen in-thread, is as follows:

Battlemaster (me): Stalker
Hoplite (AJ_Impy): Dragon
Ostsol (Painedforever): Crusader
Rifleman (Z the IVth): Catapult

and you're also shooting at the Stalker and Dragon. So that's all covered.

propatriamori fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 16, 2024

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Aight, I wasn't sure. I want to note, Im inside my min range for the LRM15, so i dont think i am actually putting effective fire downrange to the stalker.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

vorebane posted:

Aight, I wasn't sure. I want to note, Im inside my min range for the LRM15, so i dont think i am actually putting effective fire downrange to the stalker.

I don't think I've been playing particularly well so far, so take this with an enormous grain of salt, but have you considered firing at the Catapult? It's a lucky hit away from losing half of its long-range punch, so missiles / multiple weapons give us more chances to hit that left arm.

I think the other end of that is that the Dragon and Stalker are good targets to double-up on in case there's more thin ice near where Impy and I are and we one / both of us falls below the ridgeline and doesn't manage to engage. I don't feel like the odds of that are particularly high, but that's just a wild-rear end guess.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, we have the 'mechs outnumbered. But weren't there a pair of jets out there as well?

It's a shame you can't reach into the unprotected rear of an enemy and rip out his warm fusion engine, holding it up to show it to your vanquished foe as he crumples...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

It's a shame you can't reach into the unprotected rear of an enemy and rip out his warm fusion engine, holding it up to show it to your vanquished foe as he crumples...

This description makes me think of the Kontio. It's got a pair of claws, Triple Strength Myomer, and a ridiculous top speed of 172.8 km/h, so it can always get behind an enemy and pry open their weak rear armour and feast on their delicious innards. It also looks like a deranged serial killer.

Alas, its production date is 3145, so there's a good chance we'll never see it in action.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Scintilla posted:

This description makes me think of the Kontio. It's got a pair of claws, Triple Strength Myomer, and a ridiculous top speed of 172.8 km/h, so it can always get behind an enemy and pry open their weak rear armour and feast on their delicious innards. It also looks like a deranged serial killer.

Alas, its production date is 3145, so there's a good chance we'll never see it in action.

:stonklol:

Well that's a horrifyingly effective design!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It feels like the sort of thing the Wobbies would've made. But it's a Rasalhague design.

Speaking of, are we fighting Dracs? The K1, the Dragon...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Scintilla posted:

Finally! A 40-tonner worth having!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

Finally! A 40-tonner worth having!

*laughs in Pouncer W*

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

That cockpit 3-eye design :allears:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Scintilla posted:

this is basically an eversor lol

edit: also now I'm imagining a theoretical MWO which added melee and the Kontio and this thing would loving wreck faces

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

That cockpit 3-eye design :allears:

It's giving me weirdly Iron-Giant-like vibes. I don't think that's exactly the robot I'm thinking of, but something along that Art Deco Robot Design line. And happy!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Pattonesque posted:

this is basically an eversor lol

edit: also now I'm imagining a theoretical MWO which added melee and the Kontio and this thing would loving wreck faces

Oooh! Oooh! And the Hollander is the Vindicare?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Scintilla posted:

Even better, it's infamous as being a headcapper. Between the claws and TSM, it has just enough damage to tear off a 'Mech's head in a single punch while running hot. It is 100% designed with the intention of murdering enemy Mechwarriors dead.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rorahusky posted:

Even better, it's infamous as being a headcapper. Between the claws and TSM, it has just enough damage to tear off a 'Mech's head in a single punch while running hot. It is 100% designed with the intention of murdering enemy Mechwarriors dead.

no wonder it's Kill On Sight. what a hugely stressful mech to fight

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Some 'Mechs are accidentally very well optimized (the Awesome, Hellstar, Stormcrow, Black Python, etc) while others are purposefully so (The Devastator, Blitzkreig, Hauptmann, and most anything with an XXL engine). The Kontio is Clan Ghost Bear's "and this is why we're still relevant," in much the same way that Clan Sea Fox's Tiburon obsoletes something like 80% of all light 'Mechs.

The Tiburon was an accident, the Kontio was designed with purpose.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Scintilla posted:

This design is giving me Rifts flashbacks for some reason.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

W.T. Fits posted:

This design is giving me Rifts flashbacks for some reason.

Now that you mention it, yeah it does look like something from RIFTS.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

Some 'Mechs are accidentally very well optimized (the Awesome, Hellstar, Stormcrow, Black Python, etc) while others are purposefully so (The Devastator, Blitzkreig, Hauptmann, and most anything with an XXL engine). The Kontio is Clan Ghost Bear's "and this is why we're still relevant," in much the same way that Clan Sea Fox's Tiburon obsoletes something like 80% of all light 'Mechs.

The Tiburon was an accident, the Kontio was designed with purpose.

I would've thought it'd be the Piranha, not the Tiburon. Faster, cheaper, lighter, and seems to be more heavily armed.

Personally though, I've always liked the Cougar in the Light category. And the Panther, if we're talking older "classic" models.

I think I just like the "slow-ish but heavily armed" 'Mechs. Not the Urbie though.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Puma because lights need dual erppcs

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Lighter isn't an advantage, and there's a point where you're paying too much for speed.

The Tiburon is basically the perfect combination of speed, firepower, and armor. It's cheap, has the efficient maximum armor for a 35 tonner, 7/11 is fast *enough* to make it a huge problem, it's got a Watchdog system which is a decently effecient ECM source with a light active probe stapled to it, it's got enough firepower coupled to a targeting computer to be really problematic for most of its direct competitors. It's got CASE II so the SRM-2s aren't really problematic and you're free to run Infernos or whatever else.

It's just a real solid mix. There are other light 'Mechs that can do specific things better, but very few are better multirole generalists. It's about the only generalist 'Mech that's actually really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Stravag posted:

Puma because lights need dual erppcs

Doubleplusgood so much.

I just don't like how it looks. Which is half the battle.

I like 'mechs to look cool too.