Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'd pay that out of my own pocket for an AI that could write cutting but not actionable email replies to tell the people I support to stop sucking.

I don't expect Copilot meets that need.

It could be your anger translator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
it's too early and too monday to deal with my least favorite user

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Director got btfo'd for hostile workplace complaints, mama mia!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, my ex company are a bunch of dickheads but one thing I really appreciated was my severance. I basically got 50 grand to go away.

This is the ideal scenario

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I got a call from a recruiter about a full time five year contract as a contractor for the Army. Secret clearance towards the end. It’d mostly be power platform stuff with SharePoint.

Call with the program manager tomorrow but salary range was $40k/year more than I make now, so we’ll see what structure looks like. I know defense contracts can rake in cash so we’ll see. I’d be 42 when the contract was up and would have clearance so I mean… I’m seriously thinking about it.

Any red flags you all are seeing or questions I should ask?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i'm not sure if this user is trying to fake technical issues to get out of work but he sure as poo poo is acting like he is

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, same -

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tehinternet posted:

I got a call from a recruiter about a full time five year contract as a contractor for the Army. Secret clearance towards the end. It’d mostly be power platform stuff with SharePoint.

Call with the program manager tomorrow but salary range was $40k/year more than I make now, so we’ll see what structure looks like. I know defense contracts can rake in cash so we’ll see. I’d be 42 when the contract was up and would have clearance so I mean… I’m seriously thinking about it.

I mean, I'd feel like it was a career dead end to be stuck doing sharepoint and power automate for five years.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

tehinternet posted:

Get that money. Do you have any experience working with govt or military? The big thing will be if your lifestyle is compatible with what is needed to receive and maintain a security clearance.

Outside of that, an extra $40k/yr and a security clearance is worth seriously considering.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Personally I'd be just fine working an easy dead-end career for the rest of my life if I made $40k more than I did now

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It might not be the most exciting work but I don't think anything M365 and Power Plataform is a dead-end. That market share just keeps growing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i wouldn't care if he hadn't made it my problem by teams chatting me at 8 in the goddamn morning only to be evasive and not answer questions

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
We got to do work from home yesterday and although I accidentally incurred some audio issues by connecting my headset to my home PC and had to reprovision my entire VM, it was pretty chill. We apparently passed the test to do more wfh so I might have a hybrid schedule soon. Honestly that would rock and also save me like 60 bucks a month in gas money.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The security clearance near the end is a little strange. Is there some expectation that the job is going to change during the five years?

May want to know if you’ll be working on a military facility or not and if you’ll be in a SCIF. If a clearance isn’t required yet then I doubt it but it’s good to know if the expectation is you won’t have a personal electronic device in you during the workday.

For an extra $40k I could do without but those cubicle walls sure do get boring after a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hi IT thread, hope you're all good, i hate Working in IT and am only doing it so i'm not homeless and can buy fun vacations, i ran away to northern Canada for the a couple weeks holidays and real winter was awesome, i loving love -30c unironically

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

hi IT thread, hope you're all good, i hate Working in IT and am only doing it so i'm not homeless and can buy fun vacations, i ran away to northern Canada for the a couple weeks holidays and real winter was awesome, i loving love -30c unironically

hell yes

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The secret clearance near the end makes absolutely no sense, is that just a carrot they’re dangling? Either you get it within six months or you don’t get it at all. What would change about the requirements of your position that would suddenly necessitate a need for a clearance?

I think they just want someone to stick it out for five years which is probably how long their contract is for. After that the contract will get re bid on and someone else can swoop in and take over and just like that you work for someone else. And maybe they don’t like you so whoops, you’re out of a job. Very unlikely as most often it’ll be the program manager getting the axe but it’s still something to consider

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Also, a secret clearance is pretty easy to get and hold, so it’s not a huge advantage to have in the job market. TS is a much more involved and expensive clearance to get, that’s the one that will open up doors. I wouldn’t count on secret being worth a ton after this contract.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

i wouldn't care if he hadn't made it my problem by teams chatting me at 8 in the goddamn morning only to be evasive and not answer questions

You've got job applications out there, right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

hi IT thread, hope you're all good, i hate Working in IT

Hello friend! Living the dream.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

Welcome back clam. That sure looks awesome as hell. I should do a sleigh dog vacation too. Been thinking about it for years.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got a heads up that I will eventually be tasked with making a POC for an azure VDI environment that spins up and down instances as users need them with policys managed by intune. Anyone got words of wisdom/horror stories/whatever for this kind of project before I get formally told to do it and get given resources to start building?

I ASSUME that since this is all gonna be a bunch of azure stuff working together that it all should "Just Work" tm, but I've been wrong about that with microsoft before.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

guppy posted:

One of the things that I haven't seen anyone mention about that Cloudflare firing video is the HR lady desperately trying to escape the conversation by telling her that they can't get into details on that call, so she'll have to follow up with them at a later time. This poor woman is fired effective immediately. Nobody from the company is "following up with her later." They will never speak to her again, it's just a lie. As soon as that call ends she's dead to the company.

I understand that this isn't really about her merits as an employee. I understand that they just decided they need to have fewer people. But the dishonesty really grinds.

I could swear I posted something about this, but can't find it -- I've seen it suggested that she is trying to get them on record saying that the firing was not for cause in order to retain a claim to... severance? unemployment? I don't know. And frankly bullshitting like this deserves to be raked over the coals whether there's a practical upside to it or not.

:hmmyes: Exactly. The CEO's wall-of-text reply doesn't make it any better. It seems weird to me, to terminate an employee for being unable to reach impossible goals.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

drat, this is impressive. i thought i was cool with four monitors.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I moved away from real winters but I bought a gravel bike

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Got a heads up that I will eventually be tasked with making a POC for an azure VDI environment that spins up and down instances as users need them with policys managed by intune. Anyone got words of wisdom/horror stories/whatever for this kind of project before I get formally told to do it and get given resources to start building?

I ASSUME that since this is all gonna be a bunch of azure stuff working together that it all should "Just Work" tm, but I've been wrong about that with microsoft before.

Figure out if you are going to do persistent or non-persistent VDI and all of the management and cost ramifications of that. If you can get training on this, I would absolutely do it. If you don't have a background in VDI, understand that it is area that requires some level of expertise. Otherwise it can get real ugly real quick.

I have no idea what the status of "Windows 365 Cloud PC" is these days, but I'd look good and hard at that I you don't have someone with VDI experience and don't have the dedicated engineering resources for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Defenestrategy posted:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/autoscale-scaling-plan?tabs=pooled-autoscale

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Figure out if you are going to do persistent or non-persistent VDI and all of the management and cost ramifications of that. If you can get training on this, I would absolutely do it. If you don't have a background in VDI, understand that it is area that requires some level of expertise.

lol, I'm the dedicated lab guy when I'm not doing infosec stuff. So no, I have no training or knowledge of VDI beyond stubborness and the ability to RTFM fairly quickly. Basically the idea is we're gonna see if we can build a higher level CMMC environment within azure than what we could support if we had to bring our entire network to a higher spec than what we're shooting for, so I assume we're doing persistent vm's that spin up when a dude needs it and then spins down when they log off to save some amount of money in cost.

Thanks this is probably what I want.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Internet Explorer posted:

Figure out if you are going to do persistent or non-persistent VDI and all of the management and cost ramifications of that. If you can get training on this, I would absolutely do it. If you don't have a background in VDI, understand that it is area that requires some level of expertise. Otherwise it can get real ugly real quick.

I have no idea what the status of "Windows 365 Cloud PC" is these days, but I'd look good and hard at that I you don't have someone with VDI experience and don't have the dedicated engineering resources for it.

May you expand upon this in more detail?

I haven't done any deep VDI work but I've always found it kind fascinating how VDI is it's own skill/role in IT. And still in relatively high demand despite so many web applications with SSO.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Hotel Kpro posted:

The secret clearance near the end makes absolutely no sense, is that just a carrot they’re dangling? Either you get it within six months or you don’t get it at all. What would change about the requirements of your position that would suddenly necessitate a need for a clearance?

I think they just want someone to stick it out for five years which is probably how long their contract is for. After that the contract will get re bid on and someone else can swoop in and take over and just like that you work for someone else. And maybe they don’t like you so whoops, you’re out of a job. Very unlikely as most often it’ll be the program manager getting the axe but it’s still something to consider

Something about the project changing as it advances. I’ll ask about it with the program manager for sure because it seemed weird to me too.

But a fully remote job that pays that much more and potentially gets clearance seems too good to be true. But we’ll see. Keeping my head on straight and not getting ahead of myself.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Defenestrategy posted:

so I assume we're doing persistent vm's that spin up when a dude needs it and then spins down when they log off to save some amount of money in cost.

Seriously look at W365, it’s going to be much simpler to implement than persistent pooled AVD, and probably cost less. It’s the same stack as AVD, but Microsoft manages all the scaling, networking, disk, and VM resources.

Consider as well how operating system and application management works in your environment. If you turn off VMs that are not in use, they are going to be able to patch only when a user is signed in, which is a disruptive experience.

If you do get forced into AVD, I would look at Nerdio, which wraps on top and has push button wizards for everything you want to do, as well as maintenance schedules, etc, for updates and patches.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have enough staff to justify auto scaling AVD then I'd be fairly comfortable saying that Windows 365 will cost substantially more. If there's 20 people who need it and someone is just a bit obsessed with keeping costs at a bare minimum then just go with Windows 365 because it isn't worth it.

Also worth looking at whether the limitation of Windows 365 Frontline are compatible with your use case - if people only need occasional access it might be the best way to go.

Susat
May 31, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

hi IT thread, hope you're all good,

I like your photography, especially the angle you got on that first photo

Susat
May 31, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

i'm not sure if this user is trying to fake technical issues to get out of work but he sure as poo poo is acting like he is

I had a chat like this earlier today where the person was clearly trying to get me to make a ticket for a fake issue so they could show their boss and "explain" why they weren't logged in to their remote VM on time.

I always try to get the barest of information from them before I give them the canned response and turn them away because our policy is if the issue isn't ongoing / major then we don't make a ticket for it, and usually the attempt to lie is a little entertaining. So I asked her which errors she was receiving with "Cisco" (Probably Cisco Jabber or Anyconnect).

Anyway, I got a response that's basically the mental of equivalent of "please let me win" in the saddest, dopiest tone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I had an intern claim they didn’t have their laptop all day because IT (me) was working on it when in he left it at home.

I let it slide cause I came up with bullshit excuses in college before too and while I wasn’t going to lie for him if his supervisor came to me, I also wasn’t going to go out of my way to call him out.

Pretty sure his supervisor knew it was a lie anyways.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Cyks posted:

I had an intern claim they didn’t have their laptop all day because IT (me) was working on it when in he left it at home.

I let it slide cause I came up with bullshit excuses in college before too and while I wasn’t going to lie for him if his supervisor came to me, I also wasn’t going to go out of my way to call him out.

So long as it didn’t become a habit and the person wasn’t a dick, I’d let that poo poo slide too. Not gonna be That Guy if I don’t have to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I will cover for anybody as long as they aren't going to require me to lie for them. Happy to reinforce their story by omitting details though.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
3 interviews in the last month and have been ghosted by every one. Would like a job now please and thank you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cyks posted:

tehinternet posted:

So long as it didn’t become a habit and the person wasn’t a dick, I’d let that poo poo slide too. Not gonna be That Guy if I don’t have to.

Thanks Ants posted:

I will cover for anybody as long as they aren't going to require me to lie for them. Happy to reinforce their story by omitting details though.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to call them out, but if their manager came to me/us and was like "Hey guys wtf" I would have to tell em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Yea, unless they're being a security hazard or trying to throw me or my team under the bus I'll just go along with whatever.