Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jimbot posted:

Are you the Nerevarine because of destiny or because you actively made the prophecy happen and happen to be the first one to do it?

The best part is that quite possibly the most accurate answer to the question is "Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's me, the one who likes to read in-game books but they always felt like little plaques in front of exhibits in later game. In Morrowind, because these stories are often tied to what's going on right now, felt like I was getting a glimpse into the past and learning what it meant to be the character I was supposed to become.

Me too! I think a lot of the books that exist in the later games were written for Morrowind and make sense in that game's context as a consequence. Their contradictions exist to reflect the cure mysteries and deliberate obfuscation in the lore - history is written by the victors etc.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

The best part is that quite possibly the most accurate answer to the question is "Yes."

I love the conversation you have at the end where you're asked this actual question and one of the responses (and I'd argue the most legit one) is "hosed if I know"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Morrowind is so loving good. If anyone hasn't played it thinking that's it's going to be an unplayable mess 20 years later it's really not. Only really need to know a couple things about combat and you can dive right in.

docbeard posted:

I love the conversation you have at the end where you're asked this actual question and one of the responses (and I'd argue the most legit one) is "hosed if I know"

That final conversation is great. Such a cool feel to it.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023

GunnerJ posted:

Wasn't Oblivion's setting supposed to be a weird jungle In The Lore, but they went with ye olde Euro land for marketing reasons or

this is what beyond skyrim: argonia is for

ive been watching all their previews and teasers and will still prolly be more excited for that than when tes 6 garbage finally drops, im curious what they'll end up doing but i think i already know

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Found this more recent interview with a bunch of MW devs. Not Todd, though.

Morrowind: An oral history

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mentioned a couple weeks ago I was doing a playthrough with the Lyssia follower for SE/AE. Here's the trip report:

Like most/all custom followers since the AE patch, it is completely incompatible with any kind of follower framework mod.

Lyssia's gimmick is that all the voice acting is AI generated. And its quality is... actually pretty okay. It compares favorably to the human voice acting in other follower mods. The stock Highbrow Brit accent is annoying, at least to me, but YMMV. But overall the quality is more than adequate. More on this in a minute, though. To get around the awkwardness of writing/voicing dialogue without ever saying your character's name, your character's name is now "Guardian."

It comes with a lightweight quest (a few short dungeons that are literal copy/pastes of parts of vanilla dungeons with some items moved around) that is in no way janky but breaks no unfamiliar ground. It contains a couple of plot twists that you will not see coming, if you have never consumed any fiction at any point in your life.

The writing is Dawnguardesque, in that you have no actual agency at any point and a lot of your character's dialogue is written for you. You sometimes get two options on how to answer a question she asks you, but she never takes offense or anything.

That said, one thing I do like about Lyssia is that, like Vilja, she has her own poo poo going on and sometimes leaves you to go do that for a while. She has a life outside of you (until you finish her quest, anyway).

She shares the Auri problem of coming right out of the box with a weapon (dual ice/paralysis staves in Lyssia's case) that is super overpowered. She'll pretty much one-shot everything before about level 20. The good news is you can solve this by giving her a bow/arrows and telling her to fight from range (strangely, she doesn't regard her staves as "from range").

The only bugginess I've encountered is she frequently gets stuck in sneak mode. The most reliable fix is going somewhere she can sandbox, which usually fixes it. This is not just a Lyssia problem, it happens with all followers sometimes, but it's more frequent with her. You can bring her in addition to a stock follower, but it doesn't work well because she constantly friendly-fires Lydia and they got locked in an eternal double-protected deathmatch until you use the console to disable/enable them.

That's really about it. There's no system for building her opinion of you by doing stuff or giving her stuff (it just happens as per the script), she doesn't give a poo poo what crime you get up to, she's designed to pair with a mage character but doesn't care if you go melee/join the Werepanions/etc.

Of course there is a romance. It is very short and very bad. Not recommended.

----------------------------------------------

Overall it's a simple, inoffensive custom follower mod that breaks no new ground--except for its real gimmick, the AI voice acting. And here's the really interesting thing about it, which isn't actually mentioned on its Nexus description page--probably because of its unsettled and questionable legality--it's not just Lyssia that they did AI voice acting with. She also has lengthy conversations with several vanilla characters (most of the people in Whiterun and a few in the College) with actual custom dialogue which the AI voices, doing very good imitations of the actual voice actors.

Now if this technology got into the wild, it could be a game changer. People who can actually write plot and dialogue could do so and the AI could voice it all. You could one day see a mod that gives you a civil war questline that's actually complete and good and fully voiced. But very possibly you'd have to know where to look for it because of legal issues.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 16, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GunnerJ posted:

Wasn't Oblivion's setting supposed to be a weird jungle In The Lore, but they went with ye olde Euro land for marketing reasons or

Yeah, pre Oblivion all in game lore on Cyrodil stated it was a jungle province with a tropical climate. Another thing I loved about Morrowind and I don't really know of any other game that does this, but aside from bread and rats all the food, flora and fauna were completely alien. You get harassed by nix hounds and alits instead of wolves and bears while wandering the country side, etc.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Most things below the water line look good, but fish are much too visible in comparison. Any mods that fix this? Water-related mods I'm using are Cathedral Water, Natural Waterfalls (without its built-in water replacer), and Blended Shorelines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Air Skwirl posted:

You get harassed by nix hounds and alits

Someone was clearly using the NO CLIFF RACERS mod.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Overall it's a simple, inoffensive custom follower mod that breaks no new ground--except for its real gimmick, the AI voice acting. And here's the really interesting thing about it, which isn't actually mentioned on its Nexus description page--probably because of its unsettled and questionable legality--it's not just Lyssia that they did AI voice acting with. She also has lengthy conversations with several vanilla characters (most of the people in Whiterun and a few in the College) with actual custom dialogue which the AI voices, doing very good imitations of the actual voice actors.

Now if this technology got into the wild, it could be a game changer. People who can actually write plot and dialogue could do so and the AI could voice it all. You could one day see a mod that gives you a civil war questline that's actually complete and good and fully voiced. But very possibly you'd have to know where to look for it because of legal issues.

There is a mod for Fallout 4 that adds a lot more roleplaying options to that game and allows you to solve quests in new ways or say you are the character from FO3 or NV or both and gives you a ton more options. It was AI voice acted for about a minute before controversy and the author removed all the voice acting and just has silent dialogue instead. I keep the old version installed always.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what mod is that? I am happy with SKK fast start anyways because I do not get conniptions about the character origin.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/69389

It's more than just origin. It allows solving quests in other ways like with stats or perks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FishMcCool posted:

Someone was clearly using the NO CLIFF RACERS mod.

Oh you absolutely get harassed by those too, it's just there isn't a Skyrim analog that fit the metaphor. (Not having an equivalent to Cliff Racers in any of their subsequent games is probably the best design decision Bethesda ever made post Morrowind)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sometimes my luck has that happen with dragons being a stand in for cliff racers. Speaking of, the other day a dragon attack happened inside Solitude, I never knew that dragons could actually attack when you're inside a city.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think they can in vanilla.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think they can in vanilla.

They absolutely can in vanilla, to the point there's mods made to make NPCs flee to their homes so they don't die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh you absolutely get harassed by those too, it's just there isn't a Skyrim analog that fit the metaphor. (Not having an equivalent to Cliff Racers in any of their subsequent games is probably the best design decision Bethesda ever made post Morrowind)

It's not Bethesda strictly speaking, but cazadores.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
They could attack walled cities in very early versions of the game but I think they patched that out. Run For your Lives at this point is mostly for the villages that aren't their own worldspaces.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

v1ld posted:

Todd was just another team member on Morrowind, which was led by Ken Ralston and had a relatively mature team. Ralston was not around for Oblivion and after. Emil was also another team member on Oblivion - which, while not Morrowind or even close, still had some decent quest chains - but took over as writing lead on Skyrim.

Others have already pointed out that Ken Rolston did not lead the development of Morrowind, but it's also worth pointing out that he did work on Oblivion. He wrote the main quest and much of the "non-quest dialogue" in the game. It's in the "Oral History of Morrowind" article linked above.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looking over my mod list and I don't think any of these would effect dragons spawning in cities. Unless JK's Skyrim puts the spawn points back. Or I dunno, OBIS putting them in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm pretty sure this:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

They could attack walled cities in very early versions of the game but I think they patched that out. Run For your Lives at this point is mostly for the villages that aren't their own worldspaces.

is correct. I was late to the game on Skyrim (got it in 2015 I think?) and in like 1,500 hours have never ever seen a dragon attack inside Solitude/Markarth/Whiterun/Riften. It probably happens if you're running Open Cities which I never have.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is out in the wild though? Elevenlabs is most likely what these mods are using, but there are plenty of open source options out there. I think there is even a framework for Skyrim AI voice acting directly on the Nexus right now though I don't recall what it's called. It used to exist anyway, maybe controversy killed it.

Since you have all the voice lines in Skyrim already it's extremely easy to train a model on those clips then make them say absolutely anything you want them to say.

We are far past the point of this stuff being out in the wild.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At least starting with with Legendary edition, through Special Edition, dragons couldn't attack inside walled cities. Vampires still could, but SE ended that.

There are more than a few mods that just turn them back on though, even if that's not the focus of them.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I have read posts suggesting that it's possible to pull dragons into cities with you like you can with chirping NPCs, when they're bound and determined to finish whatever they have to say

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Leal posted:

Sometimes my luck has that happen with dragons being a stand in for cliff racers. Speaking of, the other day a dragon attack happened inside Solitude, I never knew that dragons could actually attack when you're inside a city.
Yeah, I was tooling around in Skyrim recently and got a dragon attack in Whiterun and was like :tviv: . Never knew they could attack when you were in one of the big cities where they were their own cell. I've had plenty of dragons attack in like Morthal or Rorikstead or whatever, but that was new. I don't have Open Cities or JK's Skyrim or anything like that installed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's got to be a mod that re-enables them

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Eric the Mauve posted:

AI voices won't unfuck the civil war code. AFAIK the civil war is an absolute nightmare to mod, IIRC because a lot of it is from very early in development.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's got to be a mod that re-enables them

Well I do have the unofficial patch in, maybe Arthmoor re-enabled them :v:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Leal posted:

Well I do have the unofficial patch in, maybe Arthmoor re-enabled them :v:

This seems likely.

Also, funny that I tend to never trigger the dragons unless I'm determined to do some quest that requires it. They're annoying as gently caress, is what I'm saying.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Splorange posted:

This seems likely.

Also, funny that I tend to never trigger the dragons unless I'm determined to do some quest that requires it. They're annoying as gently caress, is what I'm saying.

Cliff racers. They're Skyrim's cliff racers.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
:v: here. I'm trying to use a bookfont mod with a console font mod along side it. How do I resolve conflicts like this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

If you go to the "text files" tab on the left there, you can see what that txt file actually says. You can then compare it to the one in the other mod to see if there are any differences between them (it might be a generic file both mods need to function, or more likely it's specialized for one). Do these font mods cover different parts of the game (UI, inventory, books etc) ? If they're both general replacers, it'd be pointless to use more than one. e: I didn't read

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

celestial teapot posted:

:v: here. I'm trying to use a bookfont mod with a console font mod along side it. How do I resolve conflicts like this?

I don’t know how you do it on Linux (presumably steam deck) but you basically want to make a new merged mod that contains JUST the merged changes from both mods to fontconfig.txt.

If you’re using Mod Organizer (that looks kind of like it), you can probably do it manually by creating a new mod, creating a merged fontconfig.txt in that new mod, and making sure it’s the very last thing in your mod order. You should be able to check what mod’s version of fontconfig.txt is getting loaded in the right hand pane.

On windows I’d see if TESEdit can help me merge the fontconfig files for the two mods. You might have to do yours manually, in which case look at this page: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:UnderstandingFonts

Assuming both font mods added their fonts sanely as different .swf files, then fixing the fontconfig should be all that’s necessary. You could diff the two mods’ fontconfig files to see their changes, then merge those into your own new file (the one that goes into the new mod in Mod Organizer), or you could write it from scratch. Doesn’t look very difficult, especially since book and console fonts are already defined differently.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 17, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Others have already pointed out that Ken Rolston did not lead the development of Morrowind, but it's also worth pointing out that he did work on Oblivion. He wrote the main quest and much of the "non-quest dialogue" in the game. It's in the "Oral History of Morrowind" article linked above.

It's my mental history that's wrong - thanks for pointing that out.

That said while Todd is the director, in terms of actual creative and direction every discussion points to Ralston as the core driving force for Morrowind's world, plot and lore. He set it up and held them to it. That's mentioned in even the oral history and in interviews with folks like Goodall who (artistically) disagreed with bits of that direction.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don’t know how you do it on Linux (presumably steam deck) but you basically want to make a new merged mod that contains JUST the merged changes from both mods to fontconfig.txt.

Just linux on the desktop.

Arivia posted:

you basically want to make a new merged mod that contains JUST the merged changes from both mods to fontconfig.txt.

Isn't this what Wrye Bash does well? I'm reading that people use it to merge things like leveled lists, which sounds way more complicated than this...

Thanks for explaining btw. I'm pushing back because I don't understand, not because I think I'm right. :v:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wrye bash/mator smash do that for plugin records in esp/esm/esl plugins. The picture posted seems to show that your console text is being overwritten by your trad 12th century text and as such has nothing to do with plugin content. Make sure your console text loads after the 12th century text

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

wrye bash/mator smash do that for plugin records in esp/esm/esl plugins. The picture posted seems to show that your console text is being overwritten by your trad 12th century text and as such has nothing to do with plugin content. Make sure your console text loads after the 12th century text

Right, but load order alone isn't going to fix things if both mods include a fontconfig.txt, only the latter one will apply. And yes, celestial teapot, "merged mod" is sometimes what people refer to the output of running wrye bash/mator smash/tes5edit as. in this case I'm just using it to mean "a new mod that merges (includes) both of the edits you want to fontconfig.txt." Levelled lists are way more complicated but I looked around the current wrye bash documentation and I'm not sure it handles fontconfig.txt at all. Basically wrye bash is the right kind of tool, but it might not do the thing you need done.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Got it, thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Migrated from ELFX to Lux Via + Lux + Lux Orbis. It's insanely bright. Like, looking at a road, most of it is solid white and I can barely make out shapes in the stones. That's not what the screenshots look like. Is it because I don't have an ENB? Do ENBs usually darken everything and so the lighting system has to compensate if you have one?