Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Seeing as much praise for Arcus as against violet. Only way is to keep with the path and try violet for myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

Dash Rendar was very "we have Han Solo at home" but it worked. In the book there's a part where he has to shoot down a photon torpedo before it hits a ship, and he misses so the ship gets blown up and a bunch of people die, and he's really sad about it and eventually sacrifices himself to destroy the bad guy's space station. Then after he dies someone is like "Hey we got some research on those photon torpedos, it turns out they're indestructible so he didn't miss after all." RIP

in the game, he survives the skyhook explosion but everyone thinks he died in it. he embraces and loves that he's now considered dead and can live free of bounties.

weird thing to change in the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's so Dash Rendar can return in the sequel

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

How far back can I go to bring my pokedex forward? All my Pokémon I care about are on Pearl

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's so Dash Rendar can return in the sequel

yea, it is surprising there wasn't a second one. i imagine the first sold well? i'm pretty sure nintendo power loved it. all my friends did.

plus, it was released right when they were reviving the whole star wars franchise. the demand should've been through the roof.

wonder what happened there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hopefully they pull the dude into new canon and let the Dash Rendar extended merchandise fly

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mr.Acula posted:

How far back can I go to bring my pokedex forward? All my Pokémon I care about are on Pearl

Unless Scarlet/Violent changed something, Sword/Shield are hard stops. There are only a limited subset of pokemon from the prior games included, and I can't remember if you can bring those ones in from prior games via Home or just have to catch them in the later games.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

arceus is dogshit and it blows my mind that anyone liked it beyond a novelty

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

An Actual Princess posted:

arceus is dogshit and it blows my mind that anyone liked it beyond a novelty

I think I must just have a fundamentally different outlook on Pokémon games from the other people in this thread, because I'm honestly not trolling, I genuinely enjoyed it and feel like it's the best "spinoff"/alternate style game they've done in a series that's gotten progressively more stagnant, especially since the Switch launched.

I feel like the gimmicks in the later games have gotten progressively more lame/uninspired as well - I thought Mega Evolutions were really cool, Z-Moves were a significant downgrade, and that Gigantamaxing was just lazy game design.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I liked Legends Arceus and ScarVo, you're all acting weird about Pokemon games all being cool and good imo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

abelwingnut posted:

in the game, he survives the skyhook explosion but everyone thinks he died in it. he embraces and loves that he's now considered dead and can live free of bounties.

weird thing to change in the game.

its canon.

Dash really escaped. he cameos in the SOTE sequel comic and in future EU nonsense teams up with Guri (Xizor's assassin robot) to make a human replica droid of his deceased brother.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hopefully they pull the dude into new canon and let the Dash Rendar extended merchandise fly

on this topic... Dash was indeed recanonized into Disney Star Wars as a joke by one of their new EU writers.

the possibility for more Dash Rendar exists

but there is also the preexisting other Dash novels like the one where he helps some children fight Hal 9000 or the one where he plays Kevin Costner in Bodyguard to Princess Leia's popstar cousin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Annath posted:

I think I must just have a fundamentally different outlook on Pokémon games from the other people in this thread, because I'm honestly not trolling, I genuinely enjoyed it and feel like it's the best "spinoff"/alternate style game they've done in a series that's gotten progressively more stagnant, especially since the Switch launched.

I feel like the gimmicks in the later games have gotten progressively more lame/uninspired as well - I thought Mega Evolutions were really cool, Z-Moves were a significant downgrade, and that Gigantamaxing was just lazy game design.

the games being the same forumla for 20 straight years wasnt stagnant but every switch entry other than bdsp being wildly different from what came before is. you live in fantasy land. u can just outgrow or move on from soemthing without having to try and reconcile it by inventing nonsense. furthermoer gigantamax pwns you and mega evos were the worst gimmick.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr.Acula posted:

p sure you can still move any generation forward into home but you would have to move them thru every single generation, then to transfer, then to bank, then to home? idk never done it so dunno fi they broke it at some point. once theyre in home they can be imported into whichever games theyre int he pokedex for and i think most ppl make their living dexes in home now. best off asking the pokemon thread theyd know the exact method currently.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed Arceus as well! I enjoyed the visuals a lot, I loved being able to sneak around and whip balls at Pokémon before they knew what hit them, I liked how the one town felt fairly well established with all the little sidequests. They absolutely could've stood to tune down the number of "do X move in Y style 10 times" quests for the pokedex, mind you, but I'm really hoping they release a more polished entry in the series at some point.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Stux posted:

p sure you can still move any generation forward into home but you would have to move them thru every single generation, then to transfer, then to bank, then to home? idk never done it so dunno fi they broke it at some point. once theyre in home they can be imported into whichever games theyre int he pokedex for and i think most ppl make their living dexes in home now. best off asking the pokemon thread theyd know the exact method currently.

I think it's broken now if you didn't get the Pokémon 3DS transfer stuff before the shop shut down. :/

If you had that, you could theoretically take a guy all the way from Gen 3 to today in a variety of dumb ways.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Mr.Acula posted:

Did you already get pokemon bank and transporter on 3DS before the eshop closed? You won't be able to move them past gen 4 otherwise.

If you did, then use 2 DS or 3DS machines to move them from Pearl to a gen 5 game, then use the transporter to put them in Bank, and then connect Bank to Home, and you can use them in any compatible modern game after that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

I really enjoyed Arceus as well! I enjoyed the visuals a lot, I loved being able to sneak around and whip balls at Pokémon before they knew what hit them, I liked how the one town felt fairly well established with all the little sidequests. They absolutely could've stood to tune down the number of "do X move in Y style 10 times" quests for the pokedex, mind you, but I'm really hoping they release a more polished entry in the series at some point.

if the dex stuff was entirely doing the interesting little things like the side questy ones or finding them doing certain behaviors it would improve the game 1000x. but also it should just lean into being about research and be an open world pokemon snap w the dex entries being getting photos of the interactions/behaviors in my quite honest opiniono.

Chieves posted:

I think it's broken now if you didn't get the Pokémon 3DS transfer stuff before the shop shut down. :/

If you had that, you could theoretically take a guy all the way from Gen 3 to today in a variety of dumb ways.

i def remember that bank still worked after that and was made free but idk if thats still the case

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I haven’t played game besides emulated 2D console and phone stuff for about a decade. I picked up a powkiddy rgb30 to play nes and gameboy games recently though, and when I was talking to a coworker about how I was playing the original legend of Zelda he insisted I should try Breath of the Wild.

After beating nes Zelda, more or less on a whim I picked up an oled switch and botw. The last 3D “open world” games I played were Morrowind, Vice City, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, all back when they were relatively recent releases, so I’m sure that my not keeping up with AAA games and the console wars has kept me naive of how immersive and huge games these days can be, but holy poo poo this one is gorgeous and just has so much to do. The loop of forage/cook/gear up/explore/fight/solve puzzle/repeat is so satisfying. And it’s all so well-modeled and consistent, even if the world has kind of a dream logic to it, it’s comprehensible and interactive.

I set my alarm for 4AM the other morning so I could get a couple of hours in before the rest of my family woke up.

So I guess, uh, I’m just saying that breath of the wild by default is my game of the decade? I’m not even sure I even want to ask for other Switch game recommendations. Probably will just try to eventually wrap up Zelda and keep the hardware until my kid is old enough to play Mario Kart.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's bizarre to me that a game about writing the first pokedex never has you measure a pokemon's height or weight or record its cry in the wild but you do watch it use water gun 40 times

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

yea, it is surprising there wasn't a second one. i imagine the first sold well? i'm pretty sure nintendo power loved it. all my friends did.

plus, it was released right when they were reviving the whole star wars franchise. the demand should've been through the roof.

wonder what happened there.

I think honestly what happened was they took the feedback from Shadows and built out everyone's favorite part, the opening Hoth level. That framework is what Rogue Squadron most resembles (especially the first game, which was almost entirely planet-based missions where you were flying over terrain)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I haven’t played game besides emulated 2D console and phone stuff for about a decade. I picked up a powkiddy rgb30 to play nes and gameboy games recently though, and when I was talking to a coworker about how I was playing the original legend of Zelda he insisted I should try Breath of the Wild.

After beating nes Zelda, more or less on a whim I picked up an oled switch and botw. The last 3D “open world” games I played were Morrowind, Vice City, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, all back when they were relatively recent releases, so I’m sure that my not keeping up with AAA games and the console wars has kept me naive of how immersive and huge games these days can be, but holy poo poo this one is gorgeous and just has so much to do. The loop of forage/cook/gear up/explore/fight/solve puzzle/repeat is so satisfying. And it’s all so well-modeled and consistent, even if the world has kind of a dream logic to it, it’s comprehensible and interactive.

I set my alarm for 4AM the other morning so I could get a couple of hours in before the rest of my family woke up.

So I guess, uh, I’m just saying that breath of the wild by default is my game of the decade? I’m not even sure I even want to ask for other Switch game recommendations. Probably will just try to eventually wrap up Zelda and keep the hardware until my kid is old enough to play Mario Kart.

spoilers: tears of the kingdom is even better

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Stux posted:

if the dex stuff was entirely doing the interesting little things like the side questy ones or finding them doing certain behaviors it would improve the game 1000x. but also it should just lean into being about research and be an open world pokemon snap w the dex entries being getting photos of the interactions/behaviors in my quite honest opiniono.

i def remember that bank still worked after that and was made free but idk if thats still the case

Bank still works but you can't download it or the Gen 5 to Bank app if you haven't already (barring :filez: wizardry)

And even then Pearl to Gen 5 needs 2 consoles and a minigame to transfer 6 at a time.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I've been playing Pokemon since R/B and haven't skipped a generation; it's a good but frustrating series.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If you think this highly of BotW then Tears of the Kingdom is going to make your brain explode

Seriously: finish botw before even starting totk, cuz after a few hours of the latter you will never go back to the former

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Bank still works but you can't download it or the Gen 5 to Bank app if you haven't already (barring :filez: wizardry)

And even then Pearl to Gen 5 needs 2 consoles and a minigame to transfer 6 at a time.

lol well at least the 3ds is easily hackable i guess

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

if you have a 3DS/2DS there is no reason not to hack it and it’s brain dead easy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doug Bowser must know if he ever gets fired there's going to be a lot of "So long. Gay Bowser" memes

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

xedo posted:

Did you already get pokemon bank and transporter on 3DS before the eshop closed? You won't be able to move them past gen 4 otherwise.

If you did, then use 2 DS or 3DS machines to move them from Pearl to a gen 5 game, then use the transporter to put them in Bank, and then connect Bank to Home, and you can use them in any compatible modern game after that.

Im almost positive I do, I'll have to check when I get home.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That's the good stuff. The sequel is objectively better but I still prefer BotW. It was an awesome experience that the second never quite recaptured, and they are in a class of their own regarding open world games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lol I just booted up Jet Force Gemini now that I have the Switch N64 controller.

Having not played it since the early 2000s, I forgot how hosed up it really is for what's ostensibly a kids game.

Like, the opening cutscene is full of (polygonal) blood and gore. Sure, the ants bleed green, but they bleed a lot. And an ewok/koala man gets merc'd and explodes into bloody chunks. Not to mention that you can literally blow the heads off both ants and the noncombatant tribals. I think you can even collect both kinds of heads for rewards?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Annath posted:

Lol I just booted up Jet Force Gemini now that I have the Switch N64 controller.

Having not played it since the early 2000s, I forgot how hosed up it really is for what's ostensibly a kids game.

Like, the opening cutscene is full of (polygonal) blood and gore. Sure, the ants bleed green, but they bleed a lot. And an ewok/koala man gets merc'd and explodes into bloody chunks. Not to mention that you can literally blow the heads off both ants and the noncombatant tribals. I think you can even collect both kinds of heads for rewards?

How does it run? I booted up Banjo-Kazooie the other day and was surprised at how bad it was chugging, was kinda disappointed.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This new Prince of Persia game looks dope as hell. Can't wait to buy it for $10 in about 6 weeks.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tender Bender posted:

How does it run? I booted up Banjo-Kazooie the other day and was surprised at how bad it was chugging, was kinda disappointed.

I only just started it, but running around the first area was fine. I seem to remember there being levels with tons of enemies, so it might have problems later if BK was straining it.

Which is ridiculous, the Switch should be able to emulate the N64 basically flawlessly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every time i try to play jet force gemini i remember the ewok part and turn it off

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the n64 is very hard to emulate correctly its a console built with black magic

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-not-owning-games-comfortable/

Hopefully this doesn't catch on with Nintendo but their NSO emulator seems like a precursor.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo has already done it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

glassyalabolas posted:

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-not-owning-games-comfortable/

Hopefully this doesn't catch on with Nintendo but their NSO emulator seems like a precursor.

That interview is with Ubisoft's director of subscription services, of course he's going to champion that no-ownership bullshit.

And game streaming? Ugh. Because Stadia did SO well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Subscription services ftw.