Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the article is smart to point out that americans dont want to buy affordable cars, so carmakers dont make them anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've seen ads for 84 months. They aren't vehicles anymore, they are a Lifestyle and only poors don't have the Lifestyle. You're not a poor, are you?

How else are you going to build truck equity as a pathway to wealth?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

the article is smart to point out that americans dont want to buy affordable cars, so carmakers dont make them anymore

no one wants to buy a gay (pejorative) looking car

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I do

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Americans are slopping up those huge cars, but that's in the context of numerous regulations that discourage smaller cars and box out competition that could offer alternatives.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Accelerationism, but with "light" trucks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i would be interested in reading a big rear end paper on how the gently caress americans got brainwashed into changing their opinions on suvs from marge simpson mom style "gay" cars for "pussies" into something a "red blooded american man" could buy without incredible shame. this changed over like 10 yrs

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Smythe posted:

i would be interested in reading a big rear end paper on how the gently caress americans got brainwashed into changing their opinions on suvs from marge simpson mom style "gay" cars for "pussies" into something a "red blooded american man" could buy without incredible shame. this changed over like 10 yrs

SUVs were never gay cars for pussies so good luck finding this paper

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

When gas went apeshit in 2009 people were moving into smaller cars, Priuses and Insights, etc en masse. that will never happen again no matter how expensive gas gets, people just flip credit card balances to fill their Canyonero up now

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

500excf type r posted:

SUVs were never gay cars for pussies so good luck finding this paper

they were, and they still are (derogatory)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

They put a battering ram-style grill on the front and tinted all the windows black.

Maybe you're thinking of minivans though, which have a different chassis arrangement, sliding doors, and a rounder shape. All of these are "gay." SUVs on the other hand are basically trucks with extra interior space instead of a bed.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They put a battering ram-style grill on the front and tinted all the windows black.

Maybe you're thinking of minivans though, which have a different chassis arrangement, sliding doors, and a rounder shape. All of these are "gay." SUVs on the other hand are basically trucks with extra interior space instead of a bed.

Modern SUVs are basically minivans though structurally (and this is a good thing), there aren't many truck-based SUVs anymore. The new Bronco Sport is a rebodied Escape and that's built on the global Focus platform.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Smythe posted:

women make a majority of car purchasing decisions

Apr 7, 2003

Flex Buy
Flex Buy is a Ford Credit-exclusive payment structure focused on providing lower payments for the first three years when compared with a standard retail contract.

Financing That Fits Your Budget

Flex Buy is offered with 66- or 75-month terms. Your first 36 months of payments are discounted by 15% or 18%, while higher later payments allow for your full balance to be satisfied.

The Benefits

No mileage limitations
Freedom to customize your vehicle
Lower payments for the first three years
Build equity with each payment
Two term choices
Two payment discount choices

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

well they do, just not American carmakers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lobster shirt posted:

People just don’t give this hot economy credit for the increased quality of vehicles. 😤

They may cost more, but just look at that curb weight! You’re getting more vehicle for your inflation-adjusted buck.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

women make a majority of car purchasing decisions

my wife wanted us to get a subaru (lesbian) but i insisted on a prius (steve urkel)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spiritual bypass posted:

my wife wanted us to get a subaru (lesbian) but i insisted on a prius (steve urkel)

urkel drove one of those yugos or w/e

oh poo poo it was a BMW

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

urkel is also a lesbian archetype

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

climbing out of my bmw suv "hidey ho, winslows"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Smythe posted:

the only reason that episode paints SUVs as cars for women is because Homer bought the lady version (think of the Bravada for a real life analog) and his coworkers called him out for it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

urkel is also a lesbian archetype

no he's not

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

yes he is

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The young guy who parks his blackout Brodozer next to my gay (derogatory) coupe is a high school teacher. But he grew up in a rural area. However, it was in town. But that's a part of rural American culture, pretending everyone still works in the fields.

Also, lol at buying a $60,000 vehicle that costs more than your salary.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't want to go start my car because i'm afraid it won't start

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i say swears online posted:

same

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
how's that possible. how do you pay the bill

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

Don’t want to be disappointed if it does?

spiritual bypass posted:

The answer is usually (1) wealthy parents, (2) wealthy spouse, (3) wealthy self, or (4) doesn’t have any money left after the payment for the fun things in life like hot water and electric lights and dinner

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Jan 16, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Also, lol at buying a $60,000 vehicle that costs more than your salary.

That’s the best part

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

spiritual bypass posted:

just amortize that truck over 94 months, the weekly payments are so low!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

every time I see some huge monstrosity pickup I wonder how people can afford it and the answer is I guess they can't really, they're paying huge monthly payments at 10% rates for 72 months

A 72-month loan is relatively fiscally responsible these days. 84- and 96-month loans are fairly common, wouldn't surprise me if there were a few 108-month loans out there.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXdA0sFAkc

posting good car content

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/osyq8s741tcc1/DASH_1080.mp4

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lmfao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

they're making the bike lanes white, and now the teslas will avoid them. you think this is a bad thing?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have to assess car values with KBB all the time for work and it's kinda sad seeing people with like 25k debt on a 5 y/o vehicle that's now worth 10000

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

spiritual bypass posted:

I have one friend who keeps getting caught up in the car trap and regularly ends up pulling 2nd jobs and poo poo and doing hair brained schemes to keep surviving. Its really depressing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

silicone thrills posted:

I have one friend who keeps getting caught up in the car trap and regularly ends up pulling 2nd jobs and poo poo and doing hair brained schemes to keep surviving. Its really depressing.

its time to stage an intervention and get him an ebike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The guy with the shovel is simply grooming a trail for fat bikes. :shobon: