Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Hollismason posted:

When you think about it its kind of loving weird that we have court room sketch artists.

Not if they just sat and drew caricatures of people in the room all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

crusty posted:

Not 100% sure, but I thought this was the case that was brought during his presidency but was delayed because he was president.

That was the original E Jean Carroll case, that Trump lost. He proceeded to then defame her again. This is about that second defamation. He's already been found guilty, the case is about how much he has to pay.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
They are reporting that this case will only take a few days and that Trump is going to take the stand at some point, so hopefully we will have :lol:s this week when he has to pay millions more. And then comes the result of the NY case...

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lolling about that time one dictator called another dictator a "dotard"

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hollismason posted:

When you think about it its kind of loving weird that we have court room sketch artists.

And they use chalk pastels and there seems to be a particular style for just them

??!?
It is weird

neen
Jun 9, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Don’t go to library school because you essentially need a masters degree for the privilege of making absolutely poo poo pay.
Lol I already have a masters degree in history it did suck a lot. Worst experience ever honestly. I had hoped to find full-time work in the museum field but because of the extreme competition for full time jobs and my utter inability to network it didn’t work out. I had no problem finding part time work with poo poo pay but I needed more to move out of my parents house. So technically I’d be getting a second masters in library sciences. I also have no plans on working in the federal sector and have no interest in getting pregnant. My fear is much more based on the fact that I’m a lesbian and I’ve seen how libs of TikTok and other chuds will target LGBT folk especially ones who work in library settings. On the other hand, I’ve been in retail now for three years, the pay isn’t that much better, and I certainly don’t want to spend the rest of my life doing . I’d rather work in a field that i at least care about. Thanks everyone who listened to my rambling anxieties

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Turning around in his seat was Donny's big effort for the day.

To glare at who?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I'm hungry, when's lunch?

"Whores, with a side of mongering"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That 47% number is hosed up. Just shy of half the country thinks our blood is being poisoned?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

redshirt posted:

Turning around in his seat was Donny's big effort for the day.

To glare at who?

whoever was holding his hamberder

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

big nipples big life posted:

That 47% number is hosed up. Just shy of half the country thinks our blood is being poisoned?

Yeah, that would be the republican.

I think these polls that ask indirect questions about the race might actually contain more information than polls on head-to-head match ups. It looks like a poll breaking 53/47 for Biden without having asked the question.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Lifespan posted:

I still think it is funny that people believe that the presidency has control over a capitalist economy. Can they pass legislation that has an impact? Sure, but they loving wish they had the ability to dictate how the money moves and how the markets react to it. Had a conversation with a family member a couple of weeks ago to make this same point and they were vehement that Biden alone caused the inflation bump. My response was "you must have loved Obama then because by your logic he took the Great Recession and single handily turned it in to the strongest the economy has every been!"

It's always a bad faith argument because the facts always play out that the economy has been empirically stronger under democratic presidents for the last 30 years. I also would argue that the president actually does have a decent amount of control over the economy however you do not see generally the impacts of their policy for about 2-4 years after the policy is implemented. You can absolutely judge at 8 years 2 terms of presidency on its impact I think pretty fairly. That being said Trump is special because he is SO bad at economic policy that he crashed his own economy in under 4 years because of the insane things he was constantly doing. Between all the tariffs and trade wars he started he essentially started taxing the American people and caused the beginnings of the huge inflationary runs we had as well as heavily pressuring Jerome Powell as the head of the Fed which is a norm that most presidents have not broke since it can cause a lot of damage for him to artificially keep interest rates low to negative through quantitative easing basically causing a kind of sugar-rush high for cheap to free debt and liquidity instead of ending the bull run because it's not good enough to have the all-time high for the markets and a small correction under Trump would have been unacceptable. It has to be better than Obama's 8 years long bull run. This plus his mishandling the COVID lockdowns caused a huge 30% crash in the stock market and a gigantic loss of employment on top of runaway inflation due to shipping prices soaring because of the pandemic. He also cut taxes during this for the super-rich as his only policy achievement. I think you could make an argument that he could not have done more to try to crash the economy and cause hyper inflation if he tried.

Biden has a literal steaming pile of poo poo dumped on his plate and I actually have been very impressed how he has navigated it with one of the narrowest majorities in Congress's history. That being said I understand why people are upset and not feeling good about the economy because they aren't wrong inflation has made things worst than where we were when trump first came into office but their inability to diagnose the cause is Biden's problem I am not sure how he fixes it when he can only pass executive orders due to losing the house half way through his presidency. Messaging that the economy is good actually you are wrong to feel this way will not work. He needs the ability to pass sweeping legislation to change core issues like housing supply, student debt, health care and most of all regulation against corporations who used inflation to achieve record profits during an economic crisis and caused even more inflation than what was necessary. He also needs to pass legislation to head off the impending commercial real estate debt bubble as employers try to fight employees on remote work because their tax breaks require them to have a certain number of people hired in the state locally to qualify for the incentives that got them to select those locations in the first place. Especially if he can give subsidies and incentives for people who convert dead commercial properties into high-density apartments.

Sorry for the ramble. It's always frustrating to see how stupid the American voting population is and how little chance we have to improve things when people are so uninformed and uninterested in actually fixing things.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

kazil posted:

That was the original E Jean Carroll case, that Trump lost. He proceeded to then defame her again. This is about that second defamation. He's already been found guilty, the case is about how much he has to pay.

I had to look this up!
This article is really poorly worded:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/16/jury-selection-e-jean-carroll-defamation-trial-trump

But this line:

quote:

This week’s trial will only weigh damages for Trump’s denials while he was president, which means it will in effect boil down to how much he must pay her.

Seems to indicate that it's due to the old remarks.
[e: As you said:] The article says that because the last trial found him guilty, that's not required any more in this case.

(The article is so weirdly written though that I could still be wrong...)

crusty fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 16, 2024

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/amNewYork/status/1747348191601659968?s=20

quote:

Donald Trump shook his head in disgust Tuesday as the judge in his New York defamation trial told prospective jurors that another jury had already decided that the former president sexually abused columnist E. Jean Carroll in the 1990s.

Later, when the judge asked during jury selection if anyone felt he had been treated unfairly by the court system, Trump raised his hand slyly. The gesture drew laughter from the crowd and a comment from the judge, who told Trump: “We know how you feel.”

Trump sat attentively, glaring and scowling at times, as about six-dozen prospective jurors filed into the courtroom and spent more than an hour responding to questions posed by the judge covering everything from their prior involvement with the judicial system to their political beliefs.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

47% of people who answer surveys and answered this specific survey.

I'm a "doomer" about a lot but, lol, lmao. Polls were never good even when people tried and no one has tried for years.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

It's because of the Butlerian Jihad

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

This is basically just affirming that the republicans have chased out anyone sane and the remaining people have radicalized. 81% of Republican primary voters are cool with Hitler. I feel like an rear end in a top hat typing this like I am engaging in hyperbole but as Mike Godwin himself wrote in his article no this is like actual Hitler/Nazi poo poo.

Objective Action posted:

47% of people who answer surveys and answered this specific survey.

I'm a "doomer" about a lot but, lol, lmao. Polls were never good even when people tried and no one has tried for years.

Yougov does a pretty decent job with sample size and the like. Sure I am certain that answering the polls is a bit self selecting and only old people and the most radical probably answered it but if I told you that Biden would win this next election 53% to Trump I don't think that would be outrageous which leads me to believe it really is just republicans are just nazis now :shrug:

Vire fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 16, 2024

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wait so Trump is sitting there mean mugging the jurors as they're all asked questions about what they think of him? That doesn't happen behind closed doors?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wilderthanmild posted:

Trump lowered taxes!

Biden gave us a skyrocketing deficit!

No these two things are not at all related!!!!!

i mean i get it. I lose 200 out of my paycheck from various taxes. it sucks but at least its probably going to things.

Fabulousity posted:

"Whores, with a side of mongering"

whats with quagmire on the left?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Do you think children these days lack motivation?

Do you think work experience is important when looking for a job?

Are you worried that your kids don't get enough exercise?

Would you support after school classes provided free by the national guard?

Wowsers 80% of Americans support peacetime conscription!!!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Shishkahuben posted:

Donnie looking really freaking nettled.

Quick and dirty, and came out a lot more sinister than expected, but here you go:

Aramis fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 17, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That must have been quite a thrill. Imagine walking into the courtroom and there's the Grinch scowling at you, AND you have a shot at setting damages against him. Delicious!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Different trial, same tweets

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hollismason posted:

I tried to hire one for my car crash injury trial but my lawyer said it would seem flippant.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HeathMayo/status/1747311091074343082?s=20

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

neen posted:

Lol I already have a masters degree in history it did suck a lot. Worst experience ever honestly. I had hoped to find full-time work in the museum field but because of the extreme competition for full time jobs and my utter inability to network it didn’t work out. I had no problem finding part time work with poo poo pay but I needed more to move out of my parents house. So technically I’d be getting a second masters in library sciences. I also have no plans on working in the federal sector and have no interest in getting pregnant. My fear is much more based on the fact that I’m a lesbian and I’ve seen how libs of TikTok and other chuds will target LGBT folk especially ones who work in library settings. On the other hand, I’ve been in retail now for three years, the pay isn’t that much better, and I certainly don’t want to spend the rest of my life doing . I’d rather work in a field that i at least care about. Thanks everyone who listened to my rambling anxieties

If you’re really concerned with the fate of the country and how it’ll affect you, given all this, if you’re going back to school for masters I’d say get an mba or accounting degree, or something that makes you a well paid professional. No matter how handmaids tale it gets in our lifetimes, the well paid American professional class will essentially be immune to it. That’s the bargain the right wing has made with their base: “we’ll punish the other people, the rules won’t bind you tho”

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

wow, even Santos only had two! I guess his purple heart made up for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This looks like an anime eyecatch bumper.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

same subset of people have 88% wanting to hear more about the influx of immigrants at the border. which is, you know, a completely made up fox talking point.

the fact that it's as low as 47% is surprising, frankly. this is specifically a group of people who have bought the fox talking point that there's a human wave of immigrants coming over the border, but the idea that they're poisoning the blood of the nation, THAT'S where they draw the line.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol at Trump raising his hand "slyly" and getting chided like a child.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

:byodood: “AND HE TOOK GOLD IN ALL THREE”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

kazil posted:

Different trial, same tweets

His former law clerk (?)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

This guy is named after a pretty good candy bar and a pretty good sandwich condiment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

beerinator posted:

This guy is named after a pretty good candy bar and a pretty good sandwich condiment.

You're thinking of Mars Mustard.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

poisonpill posted:

If you’re really concerned with the fate of the country and how it’ll affect you, given all this, if you’re going back to school for masters I’d say get an mba or accounting degree, or something that makes you a well paid professional. No matter how handmaids tale it gets in our lifetimes, the well paid American professional class will essentially be immune to it. That’s the bargain the right wing has made with their base: “we’ll punish the other people, the rules won’t bind you tho”

My aunt went to school for journalism in the 1960's and couldn't get hired as an investigative reporter her dream was to work for Time magazine. She did however broke into market research for an investment company and had one of the most amazing careers of anyone in the family. I am not sure if it also applies but I imagine if you had a history degree and a MBA / finance degree you could possibly break into market research and make huge bucks if your willing to go down that route.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats with quagmire on the left?

Apparently it is a Whoremonger: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051785

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You're thinking of Mars Mustard.

I thought he was ousted from the Trump administration pretty early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

this is a pretty big lol and also decently impactful if any other cities follow albequerque's lead on that. 2016 was an object lesson in how important a political ground game is.