Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Does anybody know if this is possible

I want to run a bunch of ethernet on a long run but they are carrying video to ethernet to hdmi converters. Is it possible to use two say 24 port switches, run fiber between the two switches, and have each port simply match to the corresponding port on the other switch? Just a bridge, in the literal sense. I cant figure out of this is possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im pretty sure those hdmi-over-ethernet devices don't output a valid ethernet signal that you can put through a switch or any other standard networking gear, they're using the physical medium of ethernet but they don't speak ethernet

e: oh there's two types, hdmi-over-cat5 devices (cheap) which require a direct end to end connection since they're not really ethernet, and hdmi-over-IP devices (expensive) which can connect to a real network and communicate via switches

with the latter you could do what you suggested, in that case the transmit device runs a network server and the receiver device(s) just connect to its IP address like anything else on the network

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 17, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Does anybody know if this is possible

I want to run a bunch of ethernet on a long run but they are carrying video to ethernet to hdmi converters. Is it possible to use two say 24 port switches, run fiber between the two switches, and have each port simply match to the corresponding port on the other switch? Just a bridge, in the literal sense. I cant figure out of this is possible

Sorry because I don't know about the video to ethernet part but you can run ethernet basically forever and you can get HDMI cables that are fibreoptic that you can run basically forever. Just mentioning it in case this solves whatever problem you were having.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I have an radio frequency question for those who might know:

I'm looking to buy a dummy load for an RF producing system which has a peak output power of 3.5 kW but a continous / average power output of about 80 W. When buying a dummy load, should I be trying to buy something that can handle the peak output power or the average? The system uses RF Pulses and the pulse width is about 3.5 uS if that helps.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Quick question: are there any threads about mesh networking in general and/or any about Meshtastic in particular?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Quick question: are there any threads about mesh networking in general and/or any about Meshtastic in particular?

Yes the home networking thread is what you seek.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

It’s actually really easy to set one up and depending on your network you may not even need dedicated mesh setup.

I just have two routers setup in a mesh because I have Ethernet in the house.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Yes the home networking thread is what you seek.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

It’s actually really easy to set one up and depending on your network you may not even need dedicated mesh setup.

I just have two routers setup in a mesh because I have Ethernet in the house.

Ah, sorry, I'm talking about low power text based messaging via LoRa radios and similar technology, not meshing home networks. Thanks for the input though, great suggestion!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Ah, sorry, I'm talking about low power text based messaging via LoRa radios and similar technology, not meshing home networks. Thanks for the input though, great suggestion!

Oh lol well maybe they can help!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wrr posted:

I'm looking to buy a dummy load for an RF producing system which has a peak output power of 3.5 kW but a continous / average power output of about 80 W. When buying a dummy load, should I be trying to buy something that can handle the peak output power or the average? The system uses RF Pulses and the pulse width is about 3.5 uS if that helps.

Wait isn’t 80W an immense amount of power for an RF application? Maybe I’m out of date but I thought things like cell handsets operated in the milliwatt range. You’ve piqued my curiosity!

Edit: Military? Wow autocorrect!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 25, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wrr posted:

Might be a question for the electronics thread in HCH:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977
... or maybe the Amateur radio thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Generally, if I care about total power consumption, is a laptop is better than a desktop? Would a ~$1,000 laptop draw less power when plugged in compared to a desktop with about the same specs (something like i5 RTX4060). Or is it the same, or would it be too difficult to compare without being more specific?

I know you can build a desktop with the goal of low power consumption, so are they not really comparable?

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 23, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Laptops will generally be optimized for lower power consumption out of the gate but a properly optimized desktop can be comparable especially if it has integrated graphics and the fans are spinning down properly. Discrete graphics in general will draw noticeably more power than integrated, but recent desktop cards tend to idle below 10W unless they have multiple monitors at different resolutions or something else that keeps them from being able to go to full idle so it's not a big deal.

This is one thing that OEM systems can be particularly good at - my Plex server is an HP S01 with an i5-10400 inside and it idles below 10W total at the socket, or at least it did before I put a 10G NIC in it.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
I got a couple of drops of water on my laptop screen and didn't realize it. I closed it and when I opened it up again a few hours later, there were some spots on the screen. They're harder to see when the screen isn't displaying white/light colors, but you can still tell. It's been a few weeks and nothing has changed.

Is there a way I can get it out (like use a hair dryer?) or will I either have to live with it or get a new screen?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Magic City Monday posted:

I got a couple of drops of water on my laptop screen and didn't realize it. I closed it and when I opened it up again a few hours later, there were some spots on the screen. They're harder to see when the screen isn't displaying white/light colors, but you can still tell. It's been a few weeks and nothing has changed.

Is there a way I can get it out (like use a hair dryer?) or will I either have to live with it or get a new screen?

Are they somehow inside the layers of the screen? Not something than can be wiped off? In general to clean the outside of the screen you want something soft like a microfiber cloth and water or another gentle cleaner at the most, nothing as harsh as glass cleaner.

Usually nothing can migrate inside a screen assembly because it's a sandwich of like a dozen layers of diffusers to spread the backlight evenly and the LCD panel, with aluminum bent around all the edges to keep them tightly together. There are times when folks will get dust inside the layers but it's not super common and can be hard to deal with because you can't easily disassemble the panel without damage. If they're inside the screen I wouldn't put anything hot on it, that could just damage the LCD. I'd try cleaning the outside and if that doesn't work either live with it or replace the panel. Some laptop screens are $60, some are $100+, it depends on the tech involved (touchscreen assemblies and higher quality panels cost more, for example).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Generally, if I care about total power consumption, is a laptop is better than a desktop? Would a ~$1,000 laptop draw less power when plugged in compared to a desktop with about the same specs (something like i5 RTX4060). Or is it the same, or would it be too difficult to compare without being more specific?

I know you can build a desktop with the goal of low power consumption, so are they not really comparable?
It's a difficult comparison. Like a laptop with a mobile 4060 might perform more like a desktop 3060 ti. You might have a similar thing going on where a desktop vs a laptop i5 just won't do the same amount of work in a given time. So if you're saying they have the same specs, you can't just go by part names. Then some laptops might have inadequate cooling solutions. It isn't always a given you can get sustained maximum spec sheet performance out of a good part.

Like, if you go by price, the laptop will consume fewer watts, because it's a less performant computer, generally, probably? But then, as said, low power states might be similar enough. Maybe peak performance isn't that important, but at that point you are considering that lower power desktop, right.

There isn't any magic in there. If laptop parts of the same generation were just less power hungry without compromise, they'd use that technology in desktops as well.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Might be a question for the electronics thread in HCH:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977
... or maybe the Amateur radio thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275

Thank you; I'll ask there.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wait isn’t 80W an immense amount of power for an RF application? Maybe I’m out of date but I thought things like cell handsets operated in the military range. You’ve piqued my curiosity!

It's for a TACAN. Like I said, peak power is 3.5 kW, but its not constant RF. It emits a series of gaussian RF pulses with certain timing; the duty cycle drops the average RF power down immensely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wrr posted:

Thank you; I'll ask there.

It's for a TACAN. Like I said, peak power is 3.5 kW, but its not constant RF. It emits a series of gaussian RF pulses with certain timing; the duty cycle drops the average RF power down immensely.

Sometimes I like to pretend this is the message board for a spaceship and this is the engineering subforum and you guys are talking about the propulsion for our ship. Thanks for taking care of all that!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I had to look up what that was and :stonk:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looking for the recommended 10GbE NIC for use in a few Windows (10 and 11) machines around the office. These are to connect to our new Synology NAS.

I hear the X550-T2 intel sets are great, but seems to be a bit of a large market for knockoff's and the such with those.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wrr posted:

There are no standards to selecting dummy loads for RF testing. But generally, you want to choose one that best matches the antenna’s resistance/impedance, has a large enough heat sink to dissipate the heat generated by the load, and has a SWR of as close to 1:1 as possible.

A lot of dummy loads on the market will have wattage ratings for peak and continuous.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 25, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Any recommendations on a good thunderbolt dock that can handle dual monitors, and has around 80w power delivery? Budget is $100, but can probably go up to $150 if needed.

Thanks!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any recommendations on a good thunderbolt dock that can handle dual monitors, and has around 80w power delivery? Budget is $100, but can probably go up to $150 if needed.

Thanks!

Do you need real Thunderbolt or is it enough with USB-C? (I ask because most people seem to not actually need Thunderbolt.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126295046176?epid=3037482869&hash=item1d67c57820:g:NI0AAOSwzOxlruP3

If the latter, the Dell WD19 are a dime a dozen and work really well on macs as well as PC.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks!

In my experience the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock (40AC, not the workstation dock - no experience with that one) can do 2*4K + 1*1080 at 60Hz, and it's $20 on eBay right now. It only goes up to 65W though, even if I give it a larger brick than the stock 135W one.

The TB4 dock (40B0) is substantially more expensive but can do 92W out and quad 4K. Make sure that's actually the model you're getting though, I see at least one eBay listing which is obviously the base USB-C model if you look closely at the pictures. A good clue is the presence of a VGA port - the standard TB4 model doesn't have one.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 3, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Thanks for the recommendations! The dock is actually for my brother, who will be using it mostly to just browse the web and some gaming (think games like Civ6). I’m actually not sure if that requires thunderbolt speeds or not? He’ll be using it with two dual 1080p screens.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! The dock is actually for my brother, who will be using it mostly to just browse the web and some gaming (think games like Civ6). I’m actually not sure if that requires thunderbolt speeds or not? He’ll be using it with two dual 1080p screens.

If you mean “two 1080p screens” then the used Dell should do it. Just check the connectors on the back; it has two DP but only one HDMI out.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I bought a replacement battery for my computer's motherboard (for keeping time and date in the bios) and it has a bitter coating to dissuade children eating it.

Do I need to scrub off the bitter coating?

Googling this tells me that it's necessary to rub it off with alcohol to make the battery work with apple air tags, but no one has said anything specifically about computer motherboards.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

isasphere posted:

Do I need to scrub off the bitter coating?

Probably not. The coating seems to be a thin ring around the bottom edge. In motherboards the battery is usually connected in the middle.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
...It never occurred to me to check the brand's website. :doh:

Thank you kindly!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone have a PC stand they like? Need something to get mine up off the floor so it's not inhaling carpet lint all day.

Amazon has tons of options but they're all from the usual assortment of made up fake companies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Does anyone have a PC stand they like? Need something to get mine up off the floor so it's not inhaling carpet lint all day.

Amazon has tons of options but they're all from the usual assortment of made up fake companies.

I have been very happy with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4VBBP9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It is also nice that it is adjustable so if I get a larger case I'll still use it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wash bucket posted:

The feet on a lot of cases are interchangeable. A lot of people make replacement feet to bring the PC up off the floor, or to allow for office chair wheels to be attached (water cooled PCs can be quite heavy).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

depending on the case might it be easier to just flip the PSU over so it intakes from inside the case

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A stand is legit $15-30 just get a stand.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wash bucket posted:

I've used under-desk mounts like this for years and prefer them to carts. But none of the models available are similar to the ones I've used so I can't which of them would be good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saukkis posted:

I've used under-desk mounts like this for years and prefer them to carts. But none of the models available are similar to the ones I've used so I can't which of them would be good.

Yeah I had the IKEA version of this for my old PC but the new PC I built was too wide so I had to get a stand. The under desk mounts are nice though because the roomba can get under them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I have been very happy with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4VBBP9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It is also nice that it is adjustable so if I get a larger case I'll still use it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately that one is slightly too small. The Fractal Torrent is a drat beast of a case.

I guess I need to find a rando Amazon stand that's big enough and just roll the dice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately that one is slightly too small. The Fractal Torrent is a drat beast of a case.

I guess I need to find a rando Amazon stand that's big enough and just roll the dice.

FWIW the Torrent is 9.53"W and that stand goes to max of 10.2 W

Oh the length might be too short I see that now.

My case is longer as well but the feet fit on the stand just fine.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's 21" deep and the feet are at the very front and back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Yeah it's 21" deep and the feet are at the very front and back.

OK well then

https://www.etsy.com/listing/642412..._search_click=1

• Supports desktop computer towers up to 9 7/16" wide x 22" long

(I'm not actually suggesting this but I thought it was neat lol )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Actually I forgot all about Etsy. I think I will have a look around there. Thanks.