Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

More like Electric Farce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

serenity is one of the few things you really cannot manufacture or sell and Bill Ackman is really proving it lately

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anybody with a cellphone in 20 degree or below weather knows the battery gets weird (buys 6000 batteries on wheels)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's old news that EV's are worthless in actual cold weather, it's not just limited to Teslas. Batteries don't charge well in cold, don't discharge well in cold, and god forbid if you have to run cabin heat off the battery because it is going to slaughter your range.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sydin posted:

It's old news that EV's are worthless in actual cold weather, it's not just limited to Teslas. Batteries don't charge well in cold, don't discharge well in cold, and god forbid if you have to run cabin heat off the battery because it is going to slaughter your range.

its weird that they made a gas hybrid car like 20 years ago it solves a lot of the problems of relying on batteries in the cold but southpark said you were gay for having it or something and now you gotta drive a pickup that gets 4mph.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sydin posted:

The new Chinese sodium ion ones don't have that problem. But Americans can't live with that kind of range anxiety :shudder:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I mean this is all electric cars yeah? Or have other manufacturers figured out how to blunt the effects of cold weather on battery chemistry (know some of them have block heaters inbuilt at this point but that also uses extra energy thus reducing efficiency)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Batteries don't do well with temperature extremes in general. Regular car batteries weaken in cold weather too, which is why people with old/damaged batteries suddenly need to replace them when the temperature drops. The cold weather isn't actually damaging the battery, but the reduced output means that a weak one isn't going to be able to start your car anymore.

So yeah, driving an EV is going to kind of suck in legitimately very cold temperatures and it's even worse if you live somewhere with temperature extremes because the hot weather will permanently damage the battery and then the cold weather will just make things worse. Good thing we're not planning on using EVs to maintain personal car ownership as weather extremes become more common, that would be really silly!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

net work error posted:

Fitness can absolutely be faked lol. TikTok is full of it

yeah it's called crossfit

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Moscow's bus fleet is about half electric at this point, you can make it work, but you just have to design around it. Otherwise, EVs don't need huge ranges and really powerful motors...Tesla just made it a thing for marketing purposes, but you can get away with far less and the Chinese/international market proves that.

It is just really the problem is North America where cars are expected to high performance, have long ranges, and generally be loving huge which is just going to be inefficient as hell regardless. Also, there is zero interest in public transportation investment, and the entire continent is a series of highways, suburbs, and strip malls.

I don't think extreme weather is as big as a deal as decent engineering and build quality.

(Also, North Americans have little interest in plug-in hybrids either.)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

This person is basically what happens if you give a Peloton ad a human body.

They're too loving stupid to realize how worthless they are.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paradoxish posted:

Batteries don't do well with temperature extremes in general. Regular car batteries weaken in cold weather too, which is why people with old/damaged batteries suddenly need to replace them when the temperature drops. The cold weather isn't actually damaging the battery, but the reduced output means that a weak one isn't going to be able to start your car anymore.

So yeah, driving an EV is going to kind of suck in legitimately very cold temperatures and it's even worse if you live somewhere with temperature extremes because the hot weather will permanently damage the battery and then the cold weather will just make things worse. Good thing we're not planning on using EVs to maintain personal car ownership as weather extremes become more common, that would be really silly!

I think this is where Toyota’s recent solid state battery breakthroughs could change things quite a bit though? I didn’t think that solid state batteries are nearly as impacted by cold temperatures as current options.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Toyota's solid state batteries don't exist

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Nio does have working semi-solid lithium batteries, and BYD has sodium ion batteries as well, both would probably fix the issue.

The Russians have Lithium-titanate batteries that also standup pretty well.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Jan 16, 2024

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The real nightmare is there's a non zero chance someone begs HR to be laid off so they can make content for TikTok while layoff vids are hot.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

It is just really the problem is North America where cars are expected to high performance, have long ranges, and generally be loving huge which is just going to be inefficient as hell regardless. Also, there is zero interest in public transportation investment, and the entire continent is a series of highways, suburbs, and strip malls.

The base engine Subaru outback is reviewed as being incredibly slow. 0-60 time is 8.4-8.9 seconds. Equivalent wagons from the 1960s-1970s from Ford or Chevrolet were 15+ seconds 0-60, the cars of today are stupidly (and unsafely) fast off the line.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Macron gave some sort of interview or speech today where he said he wanted to further "liberalize" the economy and do fascism.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Nio does have working semi-solid lithium batteries, and BYD has sodium ion batteries as well, both would probably fix the issue.

Solid state batteries improve the issue, but they don't eliminate it. You'll still have reduced range in cold temperatures and they'll still suffer degradation from heat.

You can engineer around all of this (for current battery technologies too), but we're probably never going to have a consumer-grade EV that isn't worse off in very cold or very hot temperatures.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/toyota-makes-solid-state-breakthrough-broader-battery-evolution

https://www.topspeed.com/toyotas-745-mile-solid-state-battery-breakthrough-explained/

Unless you mean they’re not yet manufacturing them at scale, but they’re ramping up to.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nonsense posted:

a massive recession will restore America's true prices, God's own prices. Airlines collapse!

Airlines aren't allowed to collapse. Either they get bailed out or they get their assets bought a discount by a Chosen One airline because they don't have the lobbying money to secure bailouts and fend off lobbying by the Chosen Ones to let them fail so they can gobble them up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Solid state batteries improve the issue, but they don't eliminate it. You'll still have reduced range in cold temperatures and they'll still suffer degradation from heat.

You can engineer around all of this (for current battery technologies too), but we're probably never going to have a consumer-grade EV that isn't worse off in very cold or very hot temperatures.

The question is if you really should keep ICEs around except for the most extreme situations. The issue with EVs and their carbon footprint is largely the result of their huge batteries, and that most countries still use a bunch of fossil fuels, but those are fixable problems. You really don't need a huge battery in most cases (and swappable batteries are already a thing) and constantly having someone use a compact EV with a sodium-ion battery is honestly an improvement.

The issue is expectations with cars and car culture in general. People in North America feel like they need 1. a car, and if they have a car, it needs to be 1. big, 2. high performance, and 3. ready for cross-country trips at any second. It just isn't workable.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The question is if you really should keep ICEs around except for the most extreme situations. The issue with EVs and their carbon footprint is largely the result of their huge batteries, and that most countries still use a bunch of fossil fuels, but those are fixable problems. You really don't need a huge battery in most cases (and swappable batteries are already a thing) and constantly having someone use a compact EV with a sodium-ion battery is honestly an improvement.

The issue is expectations with cars and car culture in general. People in North America feel like they need 1. a car, and if they have a car, it needs to be 1. big, 2. high performance, and 3. ready for cross-country trips at any second. It just isn't workable.

Just to be clear, I agree with you completely. I'm not putting down EVs, I'm just saying that the US auto market is insane and wants things that are unrealistic and destructive. We shouldn't keep around ICE cars for personal transportation at all. Electric cars also should not be commonplace for personal transportation.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Ardennes posted:

Moscow's bus fleet is about half electric at this point, you can make it work, but you just have to design around it. Otherwise, EVs don't need huge ranges and really powerful motors...Tesla just made it a thing for marketing purposes, but you can get away with far less and the Chinese/international market proves that.

I don't think extreme weather is as big as a deal as decent engineering and build quality.

(Also, North Americans have little interest in plug-in hybrids either.)

The Russian electric buses use 3-4 liters of diesel per hour to keep the batteries warm, this is still a big improvement over the 15 liters a normal bus uses though, and better still than the complete lack of bus service most American cities have

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Just to be clear, I agree with you completely. I'm not putting down EVs, I'm just saying that the US auto market is insane and wants things that are unrealistic and destructive. We shouldn't keep around ICE cars for personal transportation at all. Electric cars also should not be commonplace for personal transportation.

If cars exist, I think I rather than just being little mini-EVs trundling around on some isolated lanes at best. It may not be possible to eliminate all personal transportation but you can bring it way down. That said, a lot of the people already exist without car culture, and some of it can be cleaned up more, but really it is going to come down to probably North America, Australia, Gulf states etc who really do need need a fundamental change.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

selec posted:

serenity is one of the few things you really cannot manufacture or sell and Bill Ackman is really proving it lately

He's gotten overconfident because these purges [in MY democracy?] are actually working but also he's taking hits which is typically not permitted.

Ardennes posted:

If cars exist, I think I rather than just being little mini-EVs trundling around on some isolated lanes at best. It may not be possible to eliminate all personal transportation but you can bring it way down. That said, a lot of the people already exist without car culture, and some of it can be cleaned up more, but really it is going to come down to probably North America, Australia, Gulf states etc who really do need need a fundamental change.

:yeah:

I see so much inherent waste everyday watching people commute in enormous cars meant for 6 people just by themselves with no cargo, both ways, everyday, in first gear due to traffic or someone hotdogging and flipping their car over. If it has to be personal vehicles, smaller ones specced to their actual use case would be a great start.

But then you have people like my buddy who immediately upon giving birth buy a black chevy suburban, a truer marque has never been given, so that they can haul the stuff they think the kid will have and for half his future sports team in like 10 years. Two kids on deck, so we gotta have the largest vehicle possible on the market in black in the desert.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah, they're on the way, just like incredible battery tech always is

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Suburban was originally designed as an airport taxi, so the airline could go pick up a whole load of soon-to-be fliers and their luggage and ferry them to the airport.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Honest Thief posted:

I just saw this rt from a tech guy in a pretty cushy job and lol they used to be insulated from all this talk

https://x.com/KiaRichards_/status/1747291787113181500?s=20

Safety net? America? :thunkgun:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ardennes posted:

golf carts are the way to ween Americans off of personally owned vehicles. lets us downsize the infrastructure and literal footprint of personal transport, while providing a slow off-ramp to car culture.

reduced road maintenance alone would probably pay for free golf carts for everyone.

you can go to costco in a golf cart or even take the kids to soccer practice. you can still pimp your golf cart, ghostride your golf cart, make your golf cart a symbol of wealth or individuality.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Yeah, they're on the way, just like incredible battery tech always is

Well the BYD Seagull is already out, and it is sodium ion, and I believe Nio will enter with its semi-solid battery this year. There has also been a bunch of refinements with lithium batteries in general. It is changing.

There probably isn't going to be a perfect battery tech without some type of compromise, but it is going to be about making the best use case possible and tailoring what you are using around that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Trabisnikof posted:

golf carts are the way to ween Americans off of personally owned vehicles. lets us downsize the infrastructure and literal footprint of personal transport, while providing a slow off-ramp to car culture.

reduced road maintenance alone would probably pay for free golf carts for everyone.

you can go to costco in a golf cart or even take the kids to soccer practice. you can still pimp your golf cart, ghostride your golf cart, make your golf cart a symbol of wealth or individuality.

As long as they still go 80 I'm in.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

only trains and planes should be allowed to go faster than 80, sorry

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1747350298312806609

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jesus Christ.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

200k is insulting.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

they shouldn't be fined at all. it's called a deboning machine idk what that idiot kid thought would happen when he slipped and shoved his bone filled body into it

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Mission failure feared for private US Moon lander — what’s next? posted:

A commercial spacecraft that was making a bid to become the first US Moon lander in more than 50 years ran into trouble hours after its 8 January launch. The probe, known as Peregrine, made it off Earth and into deep space — but soon began to leak propellant and tumble out of control. Engineers managed to temporarily get it into a stable configuration that allowed sunlight to fall on its solar panels and charge its battery, but the mission probably won’t achieve its aim of landing on the Moon on 23 February.

The US privatized a lot of research and now we can't make it to the moon. Extra funny because it's carrying the cremated remains of 70 dead rich people (and 1 rich person's dead dog) who thought it would be fun to use the moon as their graveyard, and it comes on the heels of India's success with Chandrayaan-3. Appropriate for the thread because

quote:

Astrobotic, the company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

also it's carrying NASA equipment, your tax dollars at work

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sleep with the vicious posted:

1- I'm shocked none of the big tech has purchased garmin yet

Fitness watches are just a minor product line for Garmin. They are primarily an Aerospace and Maritime electronics company.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Pink Mist posted:

Wegovy can’t be faked

Yeah was about to you can absolutely buy thinness now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

I was watching some episode of House Hunters International in Amsterdam or one of those european cities with a shitload of bike infrastructure and they had the agent driving around the hunters in some sort of golf cart like ride that apparently can use bike lanes. That's how you get more bike lanes in America.