Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Frank Frank posted:

This is Youtube's "breaking news" section:

Seems to be a disconnect between what people are saying in here and what literally everyone else is saying.

Thank you, ~2.5% of Iowa residents for making this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Frank Frank posted:

Seems to be a disconnect between what people are saying in here and what literally everyone else is saying.

If "what literally everyone else is saying" is equivalent to "whatever the YT algorithm will push to the top of the feed", I suppose. Maybe I judged that Mr. Beast guy too quickly, he's always at the top, so there must be something to his kooky shenanigans

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Waffle House posted:

Who backs Trump again?

People who think "TRUMP BUCKS" can be cashed at your local bank so you can be RICH like TRUMP.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

quantumwell posted:

People who think "TRUMP BUCKS" can be cashed at your local bank so you can be RICH like TRUMP.

Its super loving sad to read stories about the elderly using their savings to buy Trump bucks and then taking them to banks to cash them in.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Frank Frank posted:

Everyone knew he was going to win. Not sure how that's groundbreaking news

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

B-Rock452 posted:

It's not, but "A thing happened everyone thought was going to happen" doesn't drive ad clicks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

So genuinely:

People have a vested interest in Trump because he makes them money. He's 'good TV'. He is going to get plastered all over regardless because he gets views.

However his 'historic' win in Iowa has a ton of asterisks next to it, including "Is in Iowa" "Is in Iowa during a massive loving winter chill" "Is a caucus" and "He was assumed to win no matter what."

I think painting it as bad news for Trump is a bit much but it isn't super great news either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If "what literally everyone else is saying" is equivalent to "whatever the YT algorithm will push to the top of the feed", I suppose. Maybe I judged that Mr. Beast guy too quickly, he's always at the top, so there must be something to his kooky shenanigans

Those are just mainstream media news channels.

Their job isn’t to find a way to say this is actually good for Biden that’s what this thread is for

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Wow, she even kinda looks like Android 18, it really is uncanny how well this works

Loud, boisterous, dumb as a brick, constantly on the back foot and just one win away from being able to get all the revenge he craves for. It's almost too on the nose. The original sketch giving him big purple lips also helps, and I'd believe you if you told me it was on purpose.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 16, 2024

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

I was in the cafe at the upscale supermarket yesterday afternoon (think Whole Foods, but you can buy stuff like Caviar and Jamon Serrano by the ounce).

There were some Christian Finance Bros sitting next to me. The conversation made me want to vomit. These are absolutely real snippets. I know this sounds fake. I wish it were fake. This all takes place in South Austin, TX.

Talking points that I heard:

"Bro, it sounds like you've really tapped in to the young, Christian marketplace. What can we do to monetize our brand? Our podcast could use a bigger audience."

"I think young Christians are ready to spend serious money on our workshops, we really need to get the guys to take control over their families, and respect the fact that the man should be making the financial choices and investing."

"We're really going after big fish, like Peter Thiel, and the Mercer family for venture capital. Are the Mercers Christian? I forget?"

"I don't know if the Mercers are Christian, but it shouldn't matter, because they're on our side ideologically."

"Someone from my church asked if this new venture was MLM. What should I tell them?"

"It's not, but somewhat similar. If they ask, tell them NO."

"Id like to not have my name associated with this, but if you need to list me as a partner, that's fine."

"Did you guys watch, "Sound of Freedom? Oh, you totally have to watch it! It's proof that Christian content, done well, has an audience that will draw box office."

"Yeah, I think that movie proves that we can fundraise and make big budget features that appeal to Christian audiences."

A bunch of other stuff about George Soros, and stuff, but it's too long to type.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
And let this be the last we hear of Ron D. Santis.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

China Fears Our Iowa Caucusing Power. Here's Why

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOLbertsons posted:

I was in the cafe at the upscale supermarket yesterday afternoon (think Whole Foods, but you can buy stuff like Caviar and Jamon Serrano by the ounce).

There were some Christian Finance Bros sitting next to me. The conversation made me want to vomit. These are absolutely real snippets. I know this sounds fake. I wish it were fake. This all takes place in South Austin, TX.

Talking points that I heard:

"Bro, it sounds like you've really tapped in to the young, Christian marketplace. What can we do to monetize our brand? Our podcast could use a bigger audience."

"I think young Christians are ready to spend serious money on our workshops, we really need to get the guys to take control over their families, and respect the fact that the man should be making the financial choices and investing."

"We're really going after big fish, like Peter Thiel, and the Mercer family for venture capital. Are the Mercers Christian? I forget?"

"I don't know if the Mercers are Christian, but it shouldn't matter, because they're on our side ideologically."

"Someone from my church asked if this new venture was MLM. What should I tell them?"

"It's not, but somewhat similar. If they ask, tell them NO."

"Id like to not have my name associated with this, but if you need to list me as a partner, that's fine."

"Did you guys watch, "Sound of Freedom? Oh, you totally have to watch it! It's proof that Christian content, done well, has an audience that will draw box office."

"Yeah, I think that movie proves that we can fundraise and make big budget features that appeal to Christian audiences."

A bunch of other stuff about George Soros, and stuff, but it's too long to type.

Trump branded gold plated crucifixes?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I can see China being worried as trumps stupid trade war is the only policy Trump cares about and that is a disaster for both parties

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Like yeah, Trump won the caucus by a huge margin, which is historic. But it's also historic that a former president is out there doing the Iowa caucus again because his rear end lost the last general election.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RocketRaygun posted:

It's not, but "A thing happened everyone thought was going to happen" doesn't drive ad clicks

Yeah that's how Euro news is reporting it. "The big nazi lol machine is back in the saddle and gunning for the win" sells newspapers

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Wasn’t Minneapolis where Mister President climbed up the stairs to the plane with toilet paper hanging off his shoe for all the world to see? Because if so they aint gettin poo poo. They’re not getting paid anyway, but even biglyer!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest I can see China being worried as trumps stupid trade war is the only policy Trump cares about and that is a disaster for both parties

[Pres Xi with high officers in the situation room with the Iowa caucus live updates on a TV]
"C'mon Nikki Haley, c'mon ..."

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

This will be great for job interviews, if this person ever lands one.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Total Party Kill posted:

The neck tattoo says "I would fail any interview I went to", the chin-patch says "... if I ever apply for a job"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

tek79 posted:

"economic anxiety"

As far as I'm concerned, it's always been a euphemism for bigotry.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah this is why I was scratching my head. It’s loving Iowa. Why is this “historic” or “groundbreaking” or w/e?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Total Party Kill posted:

Chud contractors need lawn guys too.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Frank Frank posted:

I got told to go back to /r/conservative for the same opinion lol

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Anyone have the video of trump making GBS threads himself at the tree lighting?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Here's a simulated recreation of the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

poisonpill posted:

I got told to go back to /r/conservative for the same opinion lol

I wasn’t offering an opinion. I’m genuinely confused by it. At first I assumed it was like Daily Wire/Gateway Pundit bullshit but nope, regular news sources.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I don't have the video but I want to post this picture anyway because it always makes me lol

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Frank Frank posted:

I wasn’t offering an opinion. I’m genuinely confused by it. At first I assumed it was like Daily Wire/Gateway Pundit bullshit but nope, regular news sources.

there's an enormous amount of money at stake in election advertising, corporate media is strongly incentivized to make elections appear as close as possible

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hobo Clown posted:

Wait so Trump is sitting there mean mugging the jurors as they're all asked questions about what they think of him? That doesn't happen behind closed doors?

Perfectly normal. Every time I've reported for Jury Duty and actually been sent into the selection process (3x), the defendant was present in the courtroom through the entire process. It's their right to be present for the entire process if they choose to be there.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah this is why I was scratching my head. It’s loving Iowa. Why is this “historic” or “groundbreaking” or w/e?

I think this is the best answer:

kazil posted:

Like yeah, Trump won the caucus by a huge margin, which is historic. But it's also historic that a former president is out there doing the Iowa caucus again because his rear end lost the last general election.

It's not typical for a single candidate to run away with a majority in the Iowa caucus when there are a bunch of candidates. In 2016 Ted Cruz won with a 27.6% plurality (TRUMP was in 2nd place, RIGGED AND STOLLEN), in 2012 it was Rick Santorum with 24.6%, in 2008 it was Mike Huckabee with 34.4%, in 2000 it was GWB with 41%.

But in none of these prior races was one of the candidates a former POTUS, so comparing yesterday's caucus to prior races is kind of silly.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

First of May posted:

Thank you, ~2.5% of Iowa residents for making this happen.

This doesn't seem too dissimilar from turnouts in previous contested Republican Iowa caucuses in the last 25 years. The only one that was substantially more that I noticed was 2016. In reverse order, 2024 was 110k, then 32k in 20, 187k in 16, 121k in 12, 119k in 8, n/a in 4, 87k in 0, and 97k in 96. Probably should normalize those for population change but I'm on my phone.

I don't know what point I'm making other than that we should collectively ignore Iowa.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't have the video but I want to post this picture anyway because it always makes me lol

Had the smell not hit Melania yet or is it like when you live with cats and you don't even notice it after a while?

The Locator posted:

Perfectly normal. Every time I've reported for Jury Duty and actually been sent into the selection process (3x), the defendant was present in the courtroom through the entire process. It's their right to be present for the entire process if they choose to be there.

Makes sense. I've only done it once and while we were introduced to the plaintiff in the courtroom, the interviews were done in a separate room individually by the two lawyers. Defendant wasn't present for any of the case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

there's an enormous amount of money at stake in election advertising, corporate media is strongly incentivized to make elections appear as close as possible

But they aren’t lying or anything they are just reporting the news. You want them to editorialize it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

But they aren’t lying or anything they are just reporting the news.

Do you work for Fox News?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fobby posted:

I don't know what point I'm making other than that we should collectively ignore Iowa.
Way ahead you on that, friend.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Human aposematism

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

WHY WOULD MAINSTREAM NEWS REPORT TRUMP HISTORIC VICTORY?!

because the media loves Trump, good or bad, because he sells

If they could they would have him back on Twitter giving nightly addresses, because they love how much clicks he generates by existing.

The media was in bed with Trump in 2016, and Trump is absolutely right when he says the media loves selling poo poo off of him.

Because corporate media was complicit with him for the last 8 years, because he makes them money. Also because a lot of the media owner class ARE loving Republicans or who have friends who are Republicans, so for them this is all one big game for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

But they aren’t lying or anything they are just reporting the news. You want them to editorialize it

All news are either editorialized or delusional about the editorializing. Hth.