Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inept posted:

Wait if it requires RT how is the minimum a GTX 1080 or RX 5700? Is the fallback just really ugly? I haven't paid attention to that game.

It does software ray tracing using shaders on GPUs without hardware RT acceleration. The trick is to use a very simplified BVH and trace as few rays as possible on low settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think "performance without RT" is a valid metric, and throwing RT titles into that seems to defeat the purpose.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess if I were to do it, I'd just set each game to their Ultra preset, turn off any upscaling that was automatically enabled, and then let whatever happens happen. If some of those games turn on RT effects, so be it. You can do separate pure raster and pure RT tests for academic reasons, but most people who play games just turn on a graphics preset of their choice and start playing, and review benchmarks should be able to tell them how each GPU stacks up to each other in those conditions. Manually turning back down some settings because a certain vendor can't run them well or throwing the results from entire games out as Tom's Hardware did seems disingenuous to me.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheFluff posted:

You got Ti and Super the wrong way around, it's 4070 Ti > 4070 Super > 4070 (and then the 4070 Ti Super will slot in at the top, replacing the regular 4070 Ti). The 4070 Ti is 6-16% ahead of the 4070 Super, that is.

Ack, even listened to it a few times to try and get it right. Now I know what Steve always feels like :v:

Also, seconding the positive Everspace 2 talk. Lots of systems with weirder environments as it goes along, but I did play the first zones like 3-4 times in the beta versions!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

TheFluff posted:

You got Ti and Super the wrong way around, it's 4070 Ti > 4070 Super > 4070 (and then the 4070 Ti Super will slot in at the top, replacing the regular 4070 Ti). The 4070 Ti is 6-16% ahead of the 4070 Super, that is.

You have to be kidding me. Is this what marketing brain looks like?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

You have to be kidding me. Is this what marketing brain looks like?

Brain?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I have to believe the names are intentionally over complicated. What benefit Nvidia, or any other company with similarly badly named products, actually derive from that I have no idea; but you don't just "accidentally" have a product stack this confusing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's time for GN to overhaul their test suite. They test too few games, and some of the games are pretty dated. Shadow of the Tomb Raider in a 2024 GPU benchmark? Really?

edit: at least it's not as bad as derbauer's review where he tested assassin's creed valhalla at 1080p, valorant at 1440p, and remnant... 1, at 1440p. no other games or resolutions. also no rdna3 cards in the benchmark tables.

It goes back to that argument about whether testing repeatable games that "show scaling" is more important than testing the games people actually want to play in the settings they want to play them at. GN's methodology vids make it clear that they are fully using the former, while HUB tends to favor the latter.

I don't think either methodology is itself wrong... games that scale well likely are better analogues for future performance or "all things being equal" generic workloads, for example. But I do think the over-reliance on scaling happy games gives people Quake3 Syndrome where people used to run out to buy games based on Q3 timedemo scores despite Q3 being the only game that actually scaled like that. If you really want to maximize your purchase dollar, I think you have to weigh both.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have to believe the names are intentionally over complicated. What benefit Nvidia, or any other company with similarly badly named products, actually derive from that I have no idea; but you don't just "accidentally" have a product stack this confusing.

The 4070ti was supposed to be the 4080 12GB which is somehow both more and less confusing than the 4070ti.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lockback posted:

The 4070ti was supposed to be the 4080 12GB which is somehow both more and less confusing than the 4070ti.

4080 16GB Super and 4080 12GB Super (now with 16GB of VRAM).

Honestly having a 4070 Ti in the product stack isn't the confused part, it's having the 4080 Super, 4080, 4070 Ti Super, 4070 Ti, 4070 Super, and 4070 all being on shelves at the same time while the old stock dries out. I've had to explain to one person already that for this generation "Ti" is a tier and "Super" indicates an increased performance refresh, but not to the point of exceeding another tier in the stack.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 16, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

4080 16GB Super and 4080 12GB Super (now with 16GB of VRAM).

Honestly having a 4070 Ti in the product stack isn't the confused part, it's having the 4080 Super, 4080, 4070 Ti Super, 4070 Ti, 4070 Super, and 4070 all being on shelves at the same time while the old stock dries out. I've had to explain to one person already that for this generation "Ti" is a tier and "Super" indicates an increased performance refresh, but not to the point of exceeding another tier in the stack.

I can't believe I am doing this, but in some defense of NVidia, having a lineup refresh and retiring an old line means you will have some overlap. To wait until the old lineup completely dries out would be worse for the consumer.

So I think "The 4080 and the 4070ti are getting retired and shouldn't be bought unless they are like 30%+ below MSRP" is probably the only advice you need to give. The 4080S, 4070ti-S, 4070S, 4070 is not, like, crystal clear but generally I think the progression makes sense.

Personally I'd pretty stoked the 4070S seems to be a bigger uplift than originally anticipated, the 4070ti might look even better.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lockback posted:

I can't believe I am doing this, but in some defense of NVidia, having a lineup refresh and retiring an old line means you will have some overlap. To wait until the old lineup completely dries out would be worse for the consumer.

So I think "The 4080 and the 4070ti are getting retired and shouldn't be bought unless they are like 30%+ below MSRP" is probably the only advice you need to give. The 4080S, 4070ti-S, 4070S, 4070 is not, like, crystal clear but generally I think the progression makes sense.

Personally I'd pretty stoked the 4070S seems to be a bigger uplift than originally anticipated, the 4070ti might look even better.

It's jus the naming scheme that I find is confusing people. I understand with and agree with what you're saying, as someone who keeps up with all this garbage to also know what is going on with what product. And I likewise agree that the 4070S turned out better than I was expecting it to, and I'll be extremely excited/happy if the performance improvements of the 4070 Ti Super and 4080 Super are even greater leaps (especially the 4080 Super at a reduced price from what it's replacing, now that's a good deal).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nvidia said the 4070 Super would see a 15% average improvement over the 4070, the 4070 Ti Super would be 10%, and the 4080 Super would be 3%. That seems pretty much spot on for the 4070 Super, so I suspect that estimate will be accurate for the others too. The 4080 Super exists solely so Nvidia can promote a $1000 4080 in a way that would get more attention than if they had done a normal price cut.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Does Everspace 2 ever get better than the first few missions? I played the demo and the shooter mechanics seem fine, but the world felt super dead and boring.

I always thought Freelancer's greatest feat (which nobody seems to give it credit for, so maybe I'm the odd one out) was the work they put into making it feel like an actual functioning world, and not just a playground for the player to blow stuff up in.

Yeah, the whole first system is sorta the tutorial so its simpler. The world gets more detailed and I'm not sure if the demo has the later ambient stuff they added via patches. I don't think it ever gets as detailed as Freelancer though which did that better than most games (the only comparable since then I can think offhand is indie 2D stuff like Starsector or 3030 Deathwar). It's the best space sim whatever game (like a complete package and not just cool visuals like NMS or interesting flight mechanics like ED) since Freelancer imo, but note that its flight model is more of the Descent vintage than the 90s Origin line. So you spend plenty of time strafing and breaking LoS with asteroids and such.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Some Australian retailers have the 4070 super available for order today, and due to some amazing pricing from NVIDIA the cheapest one is $10 less than the 4070ti starting price, and about $250 more than the basic 4070, and the ti super is due to be over $300 AUD more. Really amazing launch over here to completely gently caress the value proposition of the entire product line up.

Edit: Actually I'm kinda talking crap. A couple stores have partner model specific pricing visible through pc parts picker, but not available to purchase. Hopefully some of them undercut the RRP since Nvidia's proposed pricing over here doesn't make much sense.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 17, 2024

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, the whole first system is sorta the tutorial so its simpler. The world gets more detailed and I'm not sure if the demo has the later ambient stuff they added via patches. I don't think it ever gets as detailed as Freelancer though which did that better than most games (the only comparable since then I can think offhand is indie 2D stuff like Starsector or 3030 Deathwar). It's the best space sim whatever game (like a complete package and not just cool visuals like NMS or interesting flight mechanics like ED) since Freelancer imo, but note that its flight model is more of the Descent vintage than the 90s Origin line. So you spend plenty of time strafing and breaking LoS with asteroids and such.

https://youtu.be/nHz1XWaYvkE?si=UREtGwFWkDVpvZoI

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse with my Zotac 4070, but OTOH I got it for $515 and I suspect the 4070S won't see any price cuts for a while. And it also cools like a champ and does everything I already want it to, so hey.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I could barely do SW Squadrons in VR so a Descent-ish game like Everspace 2 would make my head and stomach instantly explode.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Banal, Ridiculous And Idiotic Nonsense

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If theyre going to really shoot for 'exactly between tiers' performance why not just go 4075 instead of tacking on super.
They should drop the Ti branding too its getting ridiculous.

Suffixes are the worst

e: This reminds me of the 8800

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 17, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that would make too much sense. it might even be sortable!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no keep adding suffixes

i want a 4070 ti super duper

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

:cheers:
Spent a while troubleshooting but fortunately, not a GPU problem, it was some obscure issue with new 13th gen intels and some combo of bad Asus bios version + a dumb thing in their software that does AI OVERCLOCKING or some bs.

error 0xc0000005, which googling around doesn't seem to have a reliable fix, just a bunch of esoteric "try everything" solutions. In this case, updating all drivers, bios and reinstalling GPU drivers worked, along with disabling Asus' "smart" OC feature

:cheers: Smart OC features are typically dumb!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

repiv posted:

no keep adding suffixes

i want a 4070 ti super duper

'Super' is fine, but I prefer mega and ultra. Ti should probably just be replaced with 'buster edition.'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4080 Ti Hyper Bucky

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

4070 Ti Hella Super

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

4070 Ti Super Money Printer

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

4070 Ti Magnum XL

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UHD posted:

4070 Ti Hella Super
4070 Ti Cyberpunk Hella Preem Edition

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 16GB XTREME WATERFORCE

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER 16GB XLR8 Gaming VERTO™ EPIC-X RGB™ OC

wait that's a real card

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 17, 2024

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

FlamingLiberal posted:

4070 Ti Cyberpunk Hella Preem Edition

4070 Shiny CHOOH2clocked BD Edition

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They all get quite ridiculous if you use their full name with the officially mandated parts.

Not quite as ridiculous as AMD I guess.

quote:

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XT Vapor-X Gaming Graphics Card with 20GB GDDR6, AMD RDNA™ 3 architecture

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Does Everspace 2 ever get better than the first few missions? I played the demo and the shooter mechanics seem fine, but the world felt super dead and boring.

I always thought Freelancer's greatest feat (which nobody seems to give it credit for, so maybe I'm the odd one out) was the work they put into making it feel like an actual functioning world, and not just a playground for the player to blow stuff up in.

I think the game gets quite a bit better once you meet Officer Shaw and there are some really cool side missions/areas later in the game, but the world never feels overly lived in if that's important to you.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bofast posted:

I think the game gets quite a bit better once you meet Officer Shaw and there are some really cool side missions/areas later in the game, but the world never feels overly lived in if that's important to you.

The cut scenes being slide shows in Everspace 2 kind of sucks too. I still enjoyed playing it a lot.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The GeForce (2024)

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
What is the difference between 2 and 3 fan and OC edition vs regular? Just noise and if you have to manually overclock if you want?

The last card I bought was five years ago and just got the one that was on sale with free games to sell to lower the price more.

My case lists 350mm length by 160mm height, how much extra clearance do I need for not bending the poo poo out of the power cable?

Going to get a 4070S to replace my 1070ti with my tax refund, and don't really know what one to pick since they all look to be within $30 of each other.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
RTX 4069 NE (nice edition)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

take me you ANIMAL posted:

What is the difference between 2 and 3 fan and OC edition vs regular? Just noise and if you have to manually overclock if you want?

The last card I bought was five years ago and just got the one that was on sale with free games to sell to lower the price more.

My case lists 350mm length by 160mm height, how much extra clearance do I need for not bending the poo poo out of the power cable?

Going to get a 4070S to replace my 1070ti with my tax refund, and don't really know what one to pick since they all look to be within $30 of each other.

2 and 3 fans are mostly just about noise. 3-fan models will cool a little better, which typically means their fans will run a bit slower and quieter. OC editions are pretty much rip-offs at this point. They offer maybe 2% more performance over non-OC models. Both can be manually overclocked even further, but manual overclocking is also not so useful these days either. With a GPU like the 4070 Super, 2-fan models usually cool well enough without being too noisy, but I don't think there's anything wrong with spending $20 or $30 extra on a triple-fan model that may be noticeably quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hark posted:

RTX 4069 NE (nice edition)
Thanks Elon