Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bobjr posted:

Would Ichiban preorder the game?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

bobjr posted:

Would Ichiban preorder the game?

Ichiban would preorder the game, get robbed immediately after leaving the store and Kiryu would go and get his copy back for him. :colbert:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You fool! As soon as they get your money they will reveal that the game you wanted was actually swapped at birth with a copy of Madden 2016!

shipping from a warehouse in seoul no less

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If there's a preload for it, I will preload on my deck.

Will lost judgment be a worthwhile play?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ichiban would 100% have preordered and nolifed every single Dragon Quest game if he wasn't in jail for the majority of the releases.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz9QJX7nPiA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ytlaya posted:

Especially LAD, where the core gameplay isn't exactly great.

:wrong:

It's me, I'm the sicko that likes the RPG gameplay more than the brawler gameplay

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ImpAtom posted:

Ichiban would 100% have preordered and nolifed every single Dragon Quest game if he wasn't in jail for the majority of the releases.

I've never played a Dragon Quest game but I heard that YLAD basically has the same mechanics as whatever one was out when he went to prison which is funny if that's actually true

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

:wrong:

It's me, I'm the sicko that likes the RPG gameplay more than the brawler gameplay

i love rpgs but the rpg combat in 7 kinda sucks

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Kiryu can be brawler mode no matter his job. For a few seconds.

I wonder the skills the other jobs will have. Or if chef keeps the essence of human grating.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

IAmTheRad posted:

If there's a preload for it, I will preload on my deck.

Will lost judgment be a worthwhile play?

LJ is great, I'm a little hotter on the story than most people, but it's still pretty well-regarded on the gameplay level.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rochallor posted:

LJ is great, I'm a little hotter on the story than most people, but it's still pretty well-regarded on the gameplay level.

It gives me both a brawler game and the RPG. I will have kaito files. But I can probably finish judgment on the deck when it arrives. Might also just install 0 for fun.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Majima would wait until Kiryu preordered it and then go wait in line for the midnight release to take Kiryu's copy like a real freak

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Majima would not do that. He'd get the entire Majima family to hijack all the trucks delivering it so Kiryu couldn't get a single copy.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The RPG mechanics in LAD so far, at least at the low levels, are not that great but the novelty and being really absurd is so great that I overlook it. I don't know much else about the series but I really look forward to completing it and then picking up Infinite Wealth in a few months after FF7.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I thought the gameplay of LAD was surprisingly good for being their first crack at it. I do agree that the novelty and setting do a lot of the heavy lifting though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Having just finished LAD 7 myself I wanted to chime in on why I loved it so much, just as another angle on a fresh perspective to Sapozhnik's (which is a totally valid way to feel about the game, don't get me wrong!):

I don't think the intent of the finale is that we're supposed to agree with Masato/Aoki, he is 100% shown to be in the wrong in his perspective and Ichiban is at pains to point out to him that his "victory" of gaining everything he supposedly ever wanted left him with absolutely nothing and was completely pointless. Ichiban's isn't overlooking his crimes, the disgusting things he's done or all the victims he's left in his wake, but what he is doing is saying,"You can't slip out of this, whether through influence or suicide, you have to face the consequences of your actions.... but once you have, once you've turned yourself in and gone to jail and served your time, I will happily start over anew with you because I love you, and you are the only direct connection I have left to one of the men I considered a father."

Ichiban isn't giving him a pass, he's very specifically telling Masato that he has to accept his punishment and take it, but after that there IS a future. That's a common refrain throughout the entire game, and one that stands in stark contrast to the black and white mentality of Bleach Japan: everybody should be given a chance rather than just forgotten or cast aside or ignored. I absolutely love that not once throughout the entire game (that I recall) does Ichiban ever protest that he wasn't actually guilty of the crime he spent 18 years in jail for. Serving that time for the Family was a choice he made and he isn't interested in setting the record straight, he's moved on from that. The confrontation with Kume on the campaign trail where he openly admits to being a convicted murderer is brilliant, not least of all because he's showing Bleach Japan's most passionate adherent that he isn't remotely afraid of being exposed to the light. He spent 18 years in jail... but that was his sentence, he served it, he's back to zero and the law - the law that Bleach Japan insists is sacrosanct - says that he is 100% within his rights to stand for office, so why would he try to hide it. Everybody else has secrets or things they feel guilty about that they don't want exposed, but the abandoned child raised in a brothel who joined the Yakuza and spent 18 years in prison for murder is completely open about who he is.

Even the exception to that above rule re: Ichiban (and big final 2-3 chapters spoilers) is that he sees no need to raise the possibility that he and Masato were possibly switched at birth or that Arakawa might have been his biological father. Because that doesn't matter, he knows who his fathers were and blood doesn't matter, and exposing that truth to Masato would help nobody and achieve nothing. Just like Masato's schemes ultimately helped nobody including himself, giving him ultimate power but leaving him completely alone and unloved. Ichiban asks Masato why he couldn't just stop once he had won everything, and Ichiban himself is the proof of knowing when you've had enough, and treasuring and valuing what you've got.

All of which is a longwinded way of me saying I loved the game, I adored the ending, and I think Ichiban is an absolutely fantastic new lead character for the series going forward. Or to put it another way (Premium Adventure Spoilers!):

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2024

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

Wait how did I play through that entire game without knowing that you could just summon an Uber from anywhere from your smartphone ayfkm

I knew you could do that in LaD7, but I forgot in a panic when I accidentally jumped over a railing in the outdoor cafe area in the restaurant district and got targeted for a fight that was way over my level before I could make my way back to the stairs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/law_4282/status/1740174846863237240

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Jerusalem posted:

All of which is a longwinded way of me saying I loved the game, I adored the ending, and I think Ichiban is an absolutely fantastic new lead character for the series going forward. Or to put it another way (Premium Adventure Spoilers!):

Yep, Ichiban rules. We better get to kill that little fucker Kume in IW. Not mad at him because he killed Aoki / Masato, but because doing so hurt our boy Ichi and made him cry. Which made me cry.

I was trying not to buy any new games until I get a PS5, but I caved and pre-ordered IW from Amazon. First physical game I've bought in years (had some gift cards, and you can''t use them for PSN cards anymore). Time to get hype, even if the game will make my poor PS4 Pro sound like a jet engine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/TheYakuzaGuy/status/1747228725341458730?t=7dRA_yk4uWk0k7pl_VFZcg&s=19

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Just put in my day off request for 25th and 26th. I am ready.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just already had happened to get the 27th to the 31st off so I'm ready

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

grate deceiver posted:

Just put in my day off request for 25th and 26th. I am ready.

Waffleman_ posted:

I just already had happened to get the 27th to the 31st off so I'm ready

I'm both happy for you, and crazy jealous because I can't get any days off for the rest of January :shepicide:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I have work poo poo to do that prevents me booking any time off so Friday the 26th is going to be an absolute motherfucker of a workday

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like as we approach the release date, I'm going to just have to remove my bookmark of this thread so I won't be tempted to read it until after I finish the game. I fully expect the game will take me a good 2+ months to finish since I'll only have a couple hours a night to play.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm still on 4 so I'm definitely missing the release hype train. That's fine though because I'll go through 5 and 6 at a no pressure pace. By LAD9 if it comes 2028 I'll definitely be caught up on everything and itchy for something new. I ignored thread during Gaiden release and people have been good about spoilers in general, but new release it's unreasonable expectation after a while and people gotta just post their reactions and stuff bc that's fun too

I'm jealous y'all get that frontier experience y'all knowing I'll get there just gives me something to look forward to and that's cool too.

Can't lose with the Yakuza way (using a controller to play these really fun games).

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I'm taking the week off for it and it's my birthday too. Excellent present, thank you sega

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On the bright side of probably not getting to Infinite Wealth for at least a few months if not a year+ is that CyricZ, who should be given the Nobel Peace Prize, will have probably built a ridiculously comprehensive GameFaqs guide by that point.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

I'm still on 4 so I'm definitely missing the release hype train. That's fine though because I'll go through 5 and 6 at a no pressure pace. By LAD9 if it comes 2028 I'll definitely be caught up on everything and itchy for something new. I ignored thread during Gaiden release and people have been good about spoilers in general, but new release it's unreasonable expectation after a while and people gotta just post their reactions and stuff bc that's fun too

I'm jealous y'all get that frontier experience y'all knowing I'll get there just gives me something to look forward to and that's cool too.

Can't lose with the Yakuza way (using a controller to play these really fun games).

Yeah I'm gonna be busy the next few months so I'll probably wait for the first big sale.

Also, what are they going to use for the controller message now that nobody is a yakuza anymore? "Real RPG protagonists use a gamepad?"

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Yeah I'm gonna be busy the next few months so I'll probably wait for the first big sale.

Also, what are they going to use for the controller message now that nobody is a yakuza anymore? "Real RPG protagonists use a gamepad?"

The Judgement ports say "Detectives," I would put actual cash money down that Infinite Wealth will say "Heroes"

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

On the bright side of probably not getting to Infinite Wealth for at least a few months if not a year+ is that CyricZ, who should be given the Nobel Peace Prize, will have probably built a ridiculously comprehensive GameFaqs guide by that point.

I tried playing either 6 or 7 without one of his guides and felt like a helpless baby.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Khanstant posted:

This is the best way to do things.

I started my LAD journey back in 2020 with Yakuza 0 and LAD Gaiden was the first game in the series I was able to play on launch day. I wouldn't change anything.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Tekken 8 instead, sorry. Too devoted to punching

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

LAD7 question. I just started it last week. :blush:

I just got thrown $50 million in funds for rank 100. Am I wrong in thinking I should just buy out all shop slots, upgrade (and staff) those as much as possible with an emphasis on Ichiban Confections, and go from there?

I don't see a point to loans, nor am I too impressed with the staff I'm getting offered. Anything else to consider or am I set to let it ride?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chieves posted:

I just got thrown $50 million in funds for rank 100. Am I wrong in thinking I should just buy out all shop slots, upgrade (and staff) those as much as possible with an emphasis on Ichiban Confections, and go from there?

I don't see a point to loans, nor am I too impressed with the staff I'm getting offered. Anything else to consider or am I set to let it ride?

Don’t bother with loans, you won’t need them. Imo you want to have Ichiban Confections maxed asap since it’ll consistently earn with little investment, and then you want to find the most profitable property and max it out. You’ll want to do a few cycles of selling then re-selling when you get to the next tier. Eventually you’ll have enough money to buy whatever, max it out, and then rinse and repeat.

The key thing is to make sure you crush the shareholder meetings since they’re the biggest determinant of your progress forward. Those follow a red beats green, green beats blue, and blue beats red pattern so you’ll want your board to be aligned with that.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Don’t bother with loans, you won’t need them. Imo you want to have Ichiban Confections maxed asap since it’ll consistently earn with little investment, and then you want to find the most profitable property and max it out. You’ll want to do a few cycles of selling then re-selling when you get to the next tier. Eventually you’ll have enough money to buy whatever, max it out, and then rinse and repeat.

The key thing is to make sure you crush the shareholder meetings since they’re the biggest determinant of your progress forward. Those follow a red beats green, green beats blue, and blue beats red pattern so you’ll want your board to be aligned with that.

Yeah, I have shareholder meetings down. Those seem by far the biggest way to improve rank, to the point where I was thinking I was doing daily business wrong. Sounds like that's not the case and it's working as intended.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah I have work poo poo to do that prevents me booking any time off so Friday the 26th is going to be an absolute motherfucker of a workday

January is the end of my store's fiscal year so it's usually where I dump my unused PTO that doesn't roll over

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Chieves posted:

Don't buy more than one business at a time. Just focus on maximizing Ichiban Confections, then buy one more and fully upgrade it, etc until you have all slots filled. Then do it over again starting by selling off the least profitable company and replacing it. Always keep your staff happy. And yeah, you should never need a loan.

If you want a more step-by-step guide this is a good one:

https://samurai-gamers.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon/company-management-walkthrough/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's almost difficult to not beat the management game once you learn how the shareholder meetings work. The rest of it just decides how fast you win.