Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ytlaya posted:

I still very strongly doubt that something will go seriously wrong with the chaos event, at least to an extent that isn't mostly resolved relatively quickly. This series is supposed to be a very "slow grind" and Alden isn't even remotely close to being able to meaningfully contribute to some sort of terrible "chaos event" on Earth. Unless it's resolved very quickly, it would also essentially require that the entire "setting" on Earth be set on fire (everything involving the Anesidoran organizations, social dynamics, etc), which doesn't seem like a thing that Sleyca is going to want to do so anytime soon.

In general it seems deeply unlikely that it's possible for these "demon exterminations" to go completely off the rails just because some people make mistakes. There's presumably a reason they go off without a hitch constantly, and I imagine that the System itself is even capable of intervening if it comes to it.

For the most part Sleyca has been good about having surprising events simultaneously be difficult to predict while also making a lot of sense (like the recent events from a couple chapters ago - all the "moving parts" are fully explained). The "something terrible will happen during this demon extermination" theories just don't feel right to me. The idea that something like "some kids trying to sneak in to watch the extermination" will trigger some unprecedented disaster just doesn't seem believable.

SupSup 123
While I also doubt that the demon extermination will go drastically wrong with kaiju demons roaming the Earth and trashing the system or something. I do think something absolutely will go wrong when he visits. For instance a hero being injured that Alden jumps in to preserve with his power. He can be Super Supportive and change the status quo (with the gradual ratcheting up out of "intensity level 4") without the world ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

SS theories I guess:

Alden's been shown to have a lot of panic and dread over his affixation. He did the math, and was terrified that it looked like he had only a year left... if not less. It's hugely traumatic. I predict 'poo poo hits the fan' when the System is like "Dude I gotta affix you in the next week" and he calls Stu'arth and goes 'help I can feel my affixation and I'm about to affix like a knight do you know anything that makes this easier/more bearable please?"

Stu'arth brings his dad in the loop, and we go to 'intensity level 99.9' (AKA the Knight outfit Mother gave to a quiet rabbit)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I thought Elder Cultivator might easily be the worst story I've ever been addicted to, but I feel like it's actually getting good about a hundred chapters in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 123
While I also doubt that the demon extermination will go drastically wrong with kaiju demons roaming the Earth and trashing the system or something. I do think something absolutely will go wrong when he visits. For instance a hero being injured that Alden jumps in to preserve with his power. He can be Super Supportive and change the status quo (with the gradual ratcheting up out of "intensity level 4") without the world ending

Yeah, I think it's likely something will happen, just not something huge or anything like "a disastrous chaos event on Earth."

My best guess is just "it somehow results in Alden coming into contact with the Knights." The biggest thing I could see coming of it is "the Knights find out about Alden's situation." I think the Knights would actually be willing to keep Alden's secret, since they understand better than anyone else what sort of situation he's in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought Elder Cultivator might easily be the worst story I've ever been addicted to, but I feel like it's actually getting good about a hundred chapters in.
I'm uh, 831 chapters in (look I had covid okay I don't have stamina to do anything real) and it is pretty good

like I definitely have a favorite character and they have experienced Actual Growth and Actual Consequences

also the author is really good at handling the... scope creep?... that cultivation stories sometimes fall prey to, you know, like "there's an entire other galaxy out there! no wait an entire other universe! no wait an entire multiverse!" with continually escalating power levels? none of that poo poo.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm uh, 831 chapters in (look I had covid okay I don't have stamina to do anything real) and it is pretty good

like I definitely have a favorite character and they have experienced Actual Growth and Actual Consequences

also the author is really good at handling the... scope creep?... that cultivation stories sometimes fall prey to, you know, like "there's an entire other galaxy out there! no wait an entire other universe! no wait an entire multiverse!" with continually escalating power levels? none of that poo poo.

Aww I was hoping to explore new levels of old.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm on chapter 106. Out of ~900 so far. So that's good to hear.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh no I ran out of chapters at 854

PerniciousKnid posted:

Aww I was hoping to explore new levels of old.
it is a nice touch that they just have some casual time skips, like the author's really good at giving the impression that time becomes a lot less important when you're a centuries-old cultivator. sometimes a chapter will just be like "so a few decades went by. anyway, now..." but the actual concept of "real old age" is not explored.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skill Thief 36 - I didn't see that "twist" coming at all, but it makes perfect sense. Aspreay having been in love with Vasco explains the aspects of his behavior that weren't fully explained by Adam's painting. I love how some of the antagonist characters, like Aspreay, are genuinely sympathetic while also still being unquestionably bad people who don't really deserve forgiveness.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SupSup 109: I'm glad they're getting into how utterly, completely unhinged people would get once hereditary superpowers became a thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haystack posted:

SupSup 109: I'm glad they're getting into how utterly, completely unhinged people would get once hereditary superpowers became a thing.

It really makes perfect sense. Plus how much it would make you into a neurotic mess as a teenager. Every day that passes after the age of 15 or so means "a lower chance of getting a higher Rank." It'd be miserable. It's very easy to understand why it'd mess up the relationship between Lexi and Kon.

Unless I misunderstood/misremembered something, the one element I actually find kind of understated is that kids of high-Ranks don't seem very concerned about being a non-Avowed. It's a low chance, but IIRC it's still like 5% or something, which is high enough that you'd definitely worry about it. Maybe I'm misremembering and it's actually lower than that?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ytlaya posted:

It really makes perfect sense. Plus how much it would make you into a neurotic mess as a teenager. Every day that passes after the age of 15 or so means "a lower chance of getting a higher Rank." It'd be miserable. It's very easy to understand why it'd mess up the relationship between Lexi and Kon.

Unless I misunderstood/misremembered something, the one element I actually find kind of understated is that kids of high-Ranks don't seem very concerned about being a non-Avowed. It's a low chance, but IIRC it's still like 5% or something, which is high enough that you'd definitely worry about it. Maybe I'm misremembering and it's actually lower than that?

The chance of (SupSup, nothing spoilerish but discusses a Sleyca comment on Patreon) two avowed parents having a kid that isn't avowed at all, IE a whiff, is supposed to be something like .1%. Or at least someone asked Sleyca if it was like 10% and she said no, it was extremely rare. It's probably the kind of thing kids from avowed families sometimes secretly worry about, but it's so rare it wouldn't be considered a real possibility.

If your parents are both A ranks or whatever, the more likely worry is that you end up being B or C ranked, while not getting selected at all is more the getting struck by lightning sort of thing people tell themselves they don't have to worry about.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That line about the whiff was straight up cruel

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Thoroughly enjoying the hazel stans in the comments slowly realising that maybe it's not a switcheroo and actually she's just a giant dick

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Supsup 124 patreon

quote:

“I just want to hang out in the background and find ways to use my power to support everyone else,” he said finally.
Lol. Statements that will age well.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Hazel never had a chance. Soupsoup109 she's a massive nepo and eugenics baby who was always taught she was better than anyone and that that was a good thing, never any boundaries until she went way, way too far, then punished in a way that probably fostered more resentment rather than growth and certainly no reconciliation at the age of eight. Not to mention all the expectations placed on her turned out to have been largely unfulfilable.

She sucks hard, but I feel it's saying less about her and more about how hosed up the Velras are in general and how successful Jessica was in raising Lute to be a decently kind and stable human being.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
We still don't know how Jessica was involved in the whole.. thing.. though yet I think.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I saw a great theory on RR (109) comments that I had mostly thought about a bit before but never connected all the dots:
Jessica is clearly illegally genetically engineered with artonan dna or something. But the poster speculated that she's TOO good of an avowed, in that she either has huge authority but no chaos potential, or an actual authority sense (or at least the contract figured the odds of her gaining one are too high) because we know that the artonans would consider binding somebody with an authority sense would be a reprehensible act. That's why her kid with a normal human has the artonan dna diluted enough to merely be SS rank. This would also explain the Leafsong thing because Aulia is working on getting her some teaching or that knowledge somehow.

I wonder if this then means (RR patron 122 or so) If earth's chaos does rise a bit due to whatever goes wrong at the demon summoning, if she is badly affected (which would imply the latter of the two theories above, because the system says it stabilises avowed and she couldn't have that). I don't mean a full chaos apocalypse or anything, but some kind of Event. Although having said that we've seen that little wizards are naturally resistant to chaos so maybe it'll be her and Alden saving people (which also redeems her somewhat).

e: I looked at some timeline pdf on the discord and the Matadero boat trip that Alden was invited to happens before the Stuart visit.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 19, 2024

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

gonadic io posted:

I saw a great theory on RR (109) comments that I had mostly thought about a bit before but never connected all the dots:
Jessica is clearly illegally genetically engineered with artonan dna or something. But the poster speculated that she's TOO good of an avowed, in that she either has huge authority but no chaos potential, or an actual authority sense (or at least the contract figured the odds of her gaining one are too high) because we know that the artonans would consider binding somebody with an authority sense would be a reprehensible act. That's why her kid with a normal human has the artonan dna diluted enough to merely be SS rank. This would also explain the Leafsong thing because Aulia is working on getting her some teaching or that knowledge somehow.

I suspect this as well, particularly because (SS 121) Manon tried her skill on Jessica first because weaker targets usually work better. But it didn't take. So at the least it would make sense if she has significant authority

Anyway (SS 124) Lute is amazing. He identified that a person was badly burned from 2 floors down in seconds. I didn't know he had a wordchain that could do that. Depending on how lenient the rules for banking chains are, that's a huge amount of flexibility at his fingertips.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Enkor posted:

I suspect this as well, particularly because (SS 121) Manon tried her skill on Jessica first because weaker targets usually work better. But it didn't take. So at the least it would make sense if she has significant authority

Anyway (SS 124) Lute is amazing. He identified that a person was badly burned from 2 floors down in seconds. I didn't know he had a wordchain that could do that. Depending on how lenient the rules for banking chains are, that's a huge amount of flexibility at his fingertips.

Ah, but (SupSup 124) that wasn't a banked chain. It was his super hearing. Notice how he cocked his head? He put a ton of points into his hearing with an associated ability to turn it up or down as needed. So it seems to me they heard the scream, and then he cocka his head and turns up his super hearing to identify what was going on.

Lute does indeed rule. I just think it's neat that Sleyca let his super hearing shine with so little fanfare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gonadic io posted:

Jessica is clearly illegally genetically engineered with artonan dna or something. But the poster speculated that she's TOO good of an avowed, in that she either has huge authority but no chaos potential, or an actual authority sense (or at least the contract figured the odds of her gaining one are too high) because we know that the artonans would consider binding somebody with an authority sense would be a reprehensible act. That's why her kid with a normal human has the artonan dna diluted enough to merely be SS rank. This would also explain the Leafsong thing because Aulia is working on getting her some teaching or that knowledge somehow.[/spoiler]

There are a number of issues with this. One is that it relies on "a very early attempt at inter-species splicing producing an authority sense," which is a pretty huge leap to begin with. Another (and probably the biggest one) is that Artonans don't have "a lot more authority." It's not like they all have the same authority as top-ranked Avowed. They just have an authority sense that lets them use their authority to do magic. It's not like the Artonans are all powerful to such an extent that merely having their diluted DNA makes someone a "super-Avowed." Most Artonans presumably don't have enough authority to be useful (which I think is why most don't have the potential to be wizards). As far as I can tell, the main important difference between the species is that Artonans have an authority sense, rather than "the amount of authority they have." So there's no reason to think that a human having spliced Artonan DNA would make them "more powerful" unless Aulia somehow got her hands on a high-ranked Knight's DNA which...I'm pretty sure didn't happen.

Also, it seems like Aulia understands very little about "actual magic." She probably isn't even aware "authority" is a thing, since neither are the vast majority of other humans. How would she even be aware of stuff like "if Jessica has an authority sense, she'll need an education in wizardry to use it"? And keep in mind Jessica would have been born pretty early into the existence of Avowed on Earth, so they would have known even less when she was conceived.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Another argument for it that was pointed out to me is (SS 121 spoiler)

quote:

She tried Jessica first because weak people were usually easier. Then Cady Velra.

Without much hope, she tried Alden himself and found he wouldn’t work either.
Why is Jessica the normal human impossible for Manon to influence? Is it something vague like "nonspecified mental resistance" that hasn't been brought up once until now? Or has her metaphysical self been enhanced/edited in the say way as her physical appearance has?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

Also, it seems like Aulia understands very little about "actual magic." She probably isn't even aware "authority" is a thing, since neither are the vast majority of other humans. How would she even be aware of stuff like "if Jessica has an authority sense, she'll need an education in wizardry to use it"? And keep in mind Jessica would have been born pretty early into the existence of Avowed on Earth, so they would have known even less when she was conceived.

Yes, but (RR109) she doesn't have to be aware of any of that to say "I spliced my daughter with an artonan wizard therefore she might become a wizard therefore I should start a side project to see if I could get contacts in a wizard school just in case".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gonadic io posted:

Yes, but she doesn't have to be aware of any of that to say "I spliced my daughter with an artonan wizard therefore she might become a wizard therefore I should start a side project to see if I could get contacts in a wizard school just in case".

Why would this result in her having "SS-Rank" levels of authority, though? I don't think wizards have more authority than Avowed (I think they might actually have significantly less than higher-rank Avowed because of the lower growth from friction between bound/unbound authority), just an authority sense. Plus "successful interspecies gene splicing with an Artonan wizard" is a pretty crazy thing just to begin with, especially since this would have happened decades ago. I also feel like "allowing a human to splice Artonan genes" is a really huge thing that even Aulia doesn't have the influence to accomplish (even assuming it's possible).

It just seems far more likely that Aulia, who has a bunch of really dumb/goofy ideas, thought "being more like an Artonan" would increase someone's ability to do magic. We've already seen other people who try to make themselves look Artonan.

edit: The only thing that makes me think there could be something weird going on is Lute himself (who is very unique due to having two S-Rank Skills at affixation. It's not really clear how unusual this is (like whether it's just "really rare" or "literally has never happened before"). If it's the latter, I think that's better evidence for something like your theory than anything else.

gonadic io posted:

Why is Jessica the normal human impossible for Manon to influence? Is it something vague like "nonspecified mental resistance" that hasn't been brought up once until now? Or has her metaphysical self been enhanced/edited in the say way as her physical appearance has?

This is the relevant part -

quote:

She tried Jessica first because weak people were usually easier. Then Cady Velra.

Without much hope, she tried Alden himself and found he wouldn’t work either.

Her reaction implies that there's nothing too strange about this (she says "usually" and isn't that shocked about it). It sounds like it's very situational since it depends on whether the person in question even has any useful "levers" for her to work with. My assumption reading this is just that "Jessica didn't have any thoughts that could be nudged towards making the environment worse for Alden/Aulia." It isn't even clear if this is due to some "mental resistance" so much as "Jessica just not having any thoughts that could be pushed forward to accomplish the desired goal." Since Manon can't read minds, she basically just has to try out her Skill with different people until someone has a thought that can be "pushed forward" towards making the environment better/worse for someone else.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 21, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Sure, that's a good point. I'm not going to die on this hill or anything it's just a theory that I think makes some crumbs that Selyca has left lying around add up. As for how, SS 121ish I agree that's definitely a presumption on my part and wouldn't have been possible too soon after the Artonans arrived unless she found some healer or life shaper or however that works to do it. Wordchain of retrieving a filled condom from the trash.

Something like that seems like it could in theory be something that exists in this universe, or possibly not also.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 124:

Stuart is such a good kid. I'm glad Mother pointed Alden his way. He keeps doing wizard bonding stuff with Alden that he probably thinks fly over the human's head, but Alden actually sees all the thought and effort that goes into it and absolutely appreciates it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 124:

Stuart is such a good kid. I'm glad Mother pointed Alden his way. He keeps doing wizard bonding stuff with Alden that he probably thinks fly over the human's head, but Alden actually sees all the thought and effort that goes into.

He's going to give Alden an authority pat and poo poo himself when Alden paths back.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

gonadic io posted:

He's going to give Alden an authority pat and poo poo himself when Alden paths back.

SS124 Poor Stu is gonna be stressed to high heaven about his only friend meeting the same fate his sister did when he finds out.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The unspoilered lead-ins to some of these spoiler blocks seem to spoil sometimes. Please be careful with that. They're also unnecessary, no one involved in the discussion needs a teaser and everything is CIA redacted blocks anyway.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Fair enough I will not do it going forwards. Let me know if there's any currently that you would like me to remove.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mostly referring to the Hazel stuff in this particular case but I’ve figured spoilers out a few times from the lead-ins before.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gonadic io posted:

Sure, that's a good point. I'm not going to die on this hill or anything it's just a theory that I think makes some crumbs that Selyca has left lying around add up. As for how, SS 121ish I agree that's definitely a presumption on my part and wouldn't have been possible too soon after the Artonans arrived unless she found some healer or life shaper or however that works to do it. Wordchain of retrieving a filled condom from the trash.

Something like that seems like it could in theory be something that exists in this universe, or possibly not also.

Yeah, just to avoid confusion I don't mean to sound combative or anything. I think that Lute's status as an abnormal S-Rank could definitely be hinting at something, but I have no idea what yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the back to back posts. It's easy to do that when using my phone, since it's harder to just quote twice in one post.

A big flaming stink posted:

SS124 Poor Stu is gonna be stressed to high heaven about his only friend meeting the same fate his sister did when he finds out.

I feel like he probably has the highest chance of being the first person to learn all the details of Alden's situation, too.

Stu-art'h isn't already a knight, right? I imagine not since he's at wizard school, which probably wouldn't be practical if you kept having to lose your free authority.

Do we actually know the age when Artonans start becoming Knights (and have their first affixation, I guess)?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the back to back posts. It's easy to do that when using my phone, since it's harder to just quote twice in one post.

I feel like he probably has the highest chance of being the first person to learn all the details of Alden's situation, too.

Stu-art'h isn't already a knight, right? I imagine not since he's at wizard school, which probably wouldn't be practical if you kept having to lose your free authority.

Do we actually know the age when Artonans start becoming Knights (and have their first affixation, I guess)?

Stuart said that he had to visit with Alden on the 15th of December, and he couldn't wait until Alden's winter break because he "had things." Alden took this to mean that Stuart was planning on affixing at some point in his winter break.

When Alden was delivering food at the 'art'h residence he encountered a pair of twins, one sworn (with the knight embroidery) and one not who looked slightly older than him.

quote:

It could have been a coincidence, but as Alden traveled down the hall, the residents seemed to get younger. And more stressed out. He delivered one of the meals to a room shared by a pair of seemingly identical twin girls—really rare on the Triplanets despite the high rate of fraternal twins compared to Earth—who looked like they hadn’t slept in days. They appeared to be just a few years older than him, and one of them was in the knights’ uniform while the other was wrapped in an oversized towel. She was swearing tearfully at what Alden thought was a pot full of red moss.

So somewhere between Stuart's age and slightly older than Alden seems to be our best measure of when they affix, at least in Stuart's family.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
We've also seen Stu, during one of their phone calls enchanting items containing basic spells saying he was enchanting some items with basic spells since he will want them soon (that's chapter 70, apparently. So no need for spoiler tags. Searchability is handy!).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ytlaya posted:

Ytlaya, just so you know you tend to cut the spoiler tags out of quotes when you're spaghetti quoting, this is at least the second time it's happened. Maybe it has something to do with it being posted on the phone.

I feel bad because I'm sure this thread is already rough enough for RR SupSup readers.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stuart said that he had to visit with Alden on the 15th of December, and he couldn't wait until Alden's winter break because he "had things." Alden took this to mean that Stuart was planning on affixing at some point in his winter break.

Ss80 or so I think Alden might use the sex gum to show Stu how affixing feels to try and convince him not to suffer that misery. Stu will of course assume at first Alden is coming on to him. When this, of course, fails I have the very wild speculation that over the course of the rest of the novel, Stu will handle his affixation badly as a contrast to how insanely serious and dedicated he is now. When he's considering self-sacrificing, Alden will eat that bone fragments and make the first start to "Alden & Gorgon's affixation-b-gone" business empire.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

gonadic io posted:

Ss80 or so I think Alden might use the sex gum to show Stu how affixing feels to try and convince him not to suffer that misery. Stu will of course assume at first Alden is coming on to him. When this, of course, fails I have the very wild speculation that over the course of the rest of the novel, Stu will handle his affixation badly as a contrast to how insanely serious and dedicated he is now. When he's considering self-sacrificing, Alden will eat that bone fragments and make the first start to "Alden & Gorgon's affixation-b-gone" business empire.

I feel like every theorycrafting post you do presumes an incoming Intensity 102 and Super Supportive does not seem to be that kind of story. Even the moon arc was more creeping dread than "And then Alden fights an abomination."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

Ytlaya, just so you know you tend to cut the spoiler tags out of quotes when you're spaghetti quoting, this is at least the second time it's happened. Maybe it has something to do with it being posted on the phone.

I feel bad because I'm sure this thread is already rough enough for RR SupSup readers.

Do the quoted parts of those posts not show up as spoilered for you? Both the quotes appear to be spoilered in the same places for me. I'll check on my PC later, maybe the Awful app deals with the tags differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

Do the quoted parts of those posts not show up as spoilered for you? Both the quotes appear to be spoilered in the same places for me. I'll check on my PC later, maybe the Awful app deals with the tags differently.

Just this one instance that I can see? Seems to just lack the open spoiler tag

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831668&pagenumber=402#post537273897